Waiting for tomorrow’s announcement is hard!

JEANMR1

5 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

cruise lines need Covid free sailings to placate the CDC and ports. Anyone who can catch Covid is a threat to cruising, regardless of how sick they may or may not get. A 11 year old with Covid can still Spread it in port in places with low vaccination rates. 

So what about the Celebrity ship yesterday? They were ALL vaccinated adults. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sailingships said:

So what about the Celebrity ship yesterday? They were ALL vaccinated adults. 

and that was a huge threat to the restart. Vaccinated adults coming up positive for Covid certainly doesn’t encourage the idea of letting non-vaccinated children onboard!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

and that was a huge threat to the restart. Vaccinated adults coming up positive for Covid certainly doesn’t encourage the idea of letting non-vaccinated children onboard!

Well, since the CDC has been telling us all along that there will be "breakthrough" cases, as there has already been on land, this should come as no surprise.  If they are correct in what they tell us, the vaccines should keep these cases from becoming severe.

• Thanks 1

The two passengers tested positive on their return to the home port during the standard testing.  They had no symptoms.  They probably picked up covid in one of the ports or maybe on the airplane flying in for the cruise.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 3

These breakthrough infections, if that’ really what they were are not, taken alone, really concerning.

I made a comment over on another thread. In it, I said that we would wait to see what happened with the Fall 2021 Transatlantics, before entertaining any ideas for new bookings. Today, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking to acquire. Now I want to know what happened on Millennium, and how? 

That’s what I’m going to be watching for as we go throught the summer, and later on into the fall.

Way to early to draw any conclusions.

Cheers,

Doc Ruth

• Like 1

I got a letter for my Vista cruise in August.  Some interesting notes:

• Final payment was pushed back to June 21
  • This is expected to be a 95/5 cruise to match CDC guidelines for a "fully vaccinated" cruise
  • We'll get more details about the exemption process next week
  • We'll also get details of additional protocols next week
  • Most exemptions are expected to be children under 12
  • They won't process the exemptions until after final payment

I mostly wanted to note this in my own records, but I also hope it helps some of you.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, docruth said:

These breakthrough infections, if that’ really what they were are not, taken alone, really concerning.

I made a comment over on another thread. In it, I said that we would wait to see what happened with the Fall 2021 Transatlantics, before entertaining any ideas for new bookings. Today, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking to acquire. Now I want to know what happened on Millennium, and how? 

That’s what I’m going to be watching for as we go throught the summer, and later on into the fall.

Way to early to draw any conclusions.

Cheers,

Doc Ruth

How will you ever know? I'd bet you wouldnt know where these 2 pax were exposed. No one else tested positive so far, so it's likely the exposure was before the cruise. If you think we will ever know and wait to book for that information, likely you wouldnt be booking. 

Sounds like you and cdc in same mind set...they say 0 is a goal. 

• Like 1

With the number of young children so restricted, and they being the only unvaccinated on board, do you expect the kids programming to be curtailed back from the otherwise normal kids club activities?

3 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

With the number of young children so restricted, and they being the only unvaccinated on board, do you expect the kids programming to be curtailed back from the otherwise normal kids club activities?

Pretty sure one of the recent announcements said they would have to wear masks in the kids club.

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Sounds like you and cdc in same mind set...they say 0 is a goal. 

Where has the CDC said ZERO was the goal. They have said the ship has to return to port if a threshold of cases occur, not if a single case happens.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Where has the CDC said ZERO was the goal. They have said the ship has to return to port if a threshold of cases occur, not if a single case happens.

I just heard it recently. Verbally that 0 cases is a achievable goal. No I cant prove it. 

We will see if they go away Nov 1st. I dont want to wear a mask on my unvaccinated cruise in dec.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Well, since the CDC has been telling us all along that there will be "breakthrough" cases, as there has already been on land, this should come as no surprise.  If they are correct in what they tell us, the vaccines should keep these cases from becoming severe.

yes. But I really think something else is going on here. It said that both people were vaccinated and cabin mates, so traveling together. If vaccine is 95% effective in preventing Covid it seems statistically improbable that two people who a traveling together both happen to be in the 5%. I wonder if this is the first case of vaccine fraud. 

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

yes. But I really think something else is going on here. It said that both people were vaccinated and cabin mates, so traveling together. If vaccine is 95% effective in preventing Covid it seems statistically improbable that two people who a traveling together both happen to be in the 5%. I wonder if this is the first case of vaccine fraud. 

Possibly, but whether or not you are vaccinated, you have a much greater probability of infection if your roommate/spouse/person-you-share-a-tiny-room-with is infected.  They are not statistically independent events.  The 5% represents the probability that a random person in the population is infected, given that they have been vaxed.  The probability that a vaxed person whose co-habitant is known to be infected will him/herself become infected would be much higher.  

Edited by zzdoug
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Possibly. I do hope it is investigated. Some medicines also seem to interfere with the vaccine, and some people don't develop the immune response they should.

21 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Possibly. I do hope it is investigated. Some medicines also seem to interfere with the vaccine, and some people don't develop the immune response they should.

Given that the 2 positive cases were reported to be asymptomatic, I think it is likely the unlucky bunkmates were vaccinated.  In trials, the vaxes were about 70-95% effective in preventing observed infection, and 100% effective in preventing hospitalization and death

51 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

Possibly, but whether or not you are vaccinated, you have a much greater probability of infection if your roommate/spouse/person-you-share-a-tiny-room-with is infected.  They are not statistically independent events.  The 5% represents the probability that a random person in the population is infected, given that they have been vaxed.  The probability that a vaxed person whose co-habitant is known to be infected will him/herself become infected would be much higher.  

Correcting my earlier statement: 95% efficacy means that the probability of infection for a vaccinated person is 95% lower than the probability of infection for an equivalent unvaccinated person.  This does not change the fact that being in the close presence of an infected person would significantly increase your chance of infection relative to any random person in the general population, whether or not you are vaxed.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Then there are people like me.  I have taken both shots, but still show a negative antibody test.  From my research it means that while my T cells have the instructions how to fight the virus, my body just isn't pre-emptively creating enough antibodies to be detected.  At least that's my interpretation of what I have read.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Then there are people like me.  I have taken both shots, but still show a negative antibody test.  From my research it means that while my T cells have the instructions how to fight the virus, my body just isn't pre-emptively creating enough antibodies to be detected.  At least that's my interpretation of what I have read.?

Kind of the unknown. Even though little or no antibodies, will the T cells be enough?