The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

I imagine we are going to encounter some “work-arounds”  and adaptions in order to comply with the rules and protocols.

I do not intend to leave my phone “on” to incur international charges while on a tour. 

I would rather just try and absorb the locale through osmosis. 

I usually also turn my phone to off, completely off, once we leave the USA. But because of the Hellenic Republic rules regarding the PLF, I will need to turn it on to get that information once we land at ATH or use gogo inflight WiFi. That issue of the PLF alone, required that I purchase an international plan. 

My husband may not be able to go on many of the excursions because they seemed to be geared toward a  lot of walking up and down and over rough terrain. 

58 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I imagine we are going to encounter some “work-arounds”  and adaptions in order to comply with the rules and protocols.

I do not intend to leave my phone “on” to incur international charges while on a tour. 

I would rather just try and absorb the locale through osmosis. 

I usually also turn my phone to off, completely off, once we leave the USA. But because of the Hellenic Republic rules regarding the PLF, I will need to turn it on to get that information once we land at ATH or use gogo inflight WiFi. That issue of the PLF alone, required that I purchase an international plan. 

My husband may not be able to go on many of the excursions because they seemed to be geared toward a  lot of walking up and down and over rough terrain. 

Spins, I was re-reading what is needed to enter the country and missed this small but very important part.......if you look at Confirmation of your submission (what you filled out on line).......the last paragraph says sentence says:

Important: You will receive the PLF document with the QR code on the day of your scheduled arrival in Greece (at midnight). You will be notified again via email and this URL will be automatically updated. The PLF document is only valid with the QR code. If travel departure begins prior to the day of arrival, travelers are allowed to board after showing the confirmation email (and not necessarily the QR code which is scheduled to arrive during their trip).

So, I think that means just make sure you bring the confirmation with you......I printed out all the other parts too but these seems to mean they would only need to see the confirmation email........and you wouldn't even need to turn on your phone.  Re- read it...see if it means the same thing to you.

Lois I absolutely think you must have the email confirmation in order to get on the plane.

But I also think you need to have the QR code to get into Greece. I think you have to be able to show it, and it will be on your phone in your email. That is my understanding.

26 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Lois I absolutely think you must have the email confirmation in order to get on the plane.

But I also think you need to have the QR code to get into Greece. I think you have to be able to show it, and it will be on your phone in your email. That is my understanding.

If you are worrying about accessing emails on your phone, which you should be able to see without roaming being on, just download the QR code to a local file and display it from there. Good luck and safe travels Spins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, ok.....I guess I thought I was seeing it differently.......sorry for any confusion.

With boarding passes, we put them in our Wallet ( iPhone), and can access them without connecting to anything.  In case we don't get signal while transiting the airport. Can you do this with the QR code, stick it in your "wallet"?   I'm sure Android phones have the same wallet type thingy.

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Oh, you mentioned leaving your phone on airplane mode.......I turn my phone OFF....all the way off.

As long as I have a WiFi plan on board which allows it, using the phone on WiFi only (no cellular) makes it handy to do quick check of email or look something up quickly without pulling out my computer. 

1 hour ago, kimanjo said:

With boarding passes, we put them in our Wallet ( iPhone), and can access them without connecting to anything.  In case we don't get signal while transiting the airport. Can you do this with the QR code, stick it in your "wallet"?   I'm sure Android phones have the same wallet type thingy.

Hi, I actually print out my boarding pass....I guess I just do things the old way.  I don't know everything about what my phone can do to be honest with you.  I do know I can check my mail.  I will just do it that way and if there is a charge once I turn it on? Oh well.  I am really not technically savvy.

• Like 1

Been looking forward to this sailing for some time now, but doubly so now I know you're sailing Spins.

Have a fantastic cruise. Look forward to your thoughts on the Moon, SALT and Covid stuff in place. I certainly felt safe as houses on my short break last week with MSC and expect the same for you.

Finally a voyage we can all sail along after such a long absence.

Enjoy

• Like 2

Omg !!! It's almost here !!! June silver moon sailing... As I posted before that I'm not that brave to venture into cruising at this time and will wait untill 2022 when I hope a little more settled... I know covid is with us still but here in  the UK as of Monday 14th June are out of lockdown completely on 21st June will not happen so it's still masks wearing all indoors & public transport!!! ( Although I'm probably the only silversea pax to use public transport 🤔) also Greece is on amber list  so it's not advisable to travel there or the islands!!!  For me it's not just about the tests and stay home after the cruise but as I mentioned before I'm a cancer patient so even if not covid related my insurance company would not pay if even I have a fall or any slight injury..( that said they won't cover for any travel to red or amber country's)  so it's another year in the fabulous UK!!! 

Wishing you all the best for your upcoming silversea moon sailings keep us all posted 

Bon voyage 🚢😷🙏☀️☀️

• Like 1

This is one reason I am still using T Mobile. All post paid plans include minimal voice and data in most countries. Data can be very slow but is livable for a need like this. You can also upgrade to fast internet for a few dollars, unfortunately one day at a time. I never have to fret about having my phone on when traveling internationally. 

18 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Wallet is great for boarding passes but as a backup especially for the QR code I keep a screen shot stored in a photo file.

• Like 2

First hurdle.

American airlines requires you to use Verifly to check in prior to going to airport.

Verifly is very unuser friendly.

American is telling me to check in.

But Verifly wont let me complete requirements for their pass.

Arghhhhhhh.

Hi Spins, if the Verifly doesn't work? That is on AA, not you. Just get to the airport early and let the Rep behind the counter handle it.

• Like 1

There is free wifi in the Athens airport and when you land you can use that to download the QR code.  We left the US with the printed copy of the letter and had no problems.  They did check the QR code with a scanner as you entered the immigration area.

50 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

There is free wifi in the Athens airport and when you land you can use that to download the QR code.  We left the US with the printed copy of the letter and had no problems.  They did check the QR code with a scanner as you entered the immigration area.

Thanks so much!!

23 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Sitting in centurion lounge awaiting boarding

Safe travel for Spins and her DH.  Glad you are keeping us posted.  Enjoy your exciting "adventure".  Looking forward to any and all details as you can post/share.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

45 minutes ago, KMACKCANADA said:

Anybody know who the Cruise Director is on the Moon?

Probably Fernando. I don't know for sure but for a brand new ship I would guess it would be him.