What is Your Favorite Meal at Home you Miss while you're Sailing.......

BklynBoy8

I love a tuna melt🙂......I don't like a Reuben because I don't like sauerkraut..........never have😲

but I would take that corned beef with swiss every time😃

• Like 1

Yes!  It shows up in local bakeries for a couple of weeks, and then the season is over.

My favorite version has raisins throughout.  Toast a slice, then top with butter, cream cheese, or English orange marmalade.  (I will be re-stocking my marmalade supply while in Bermuda in June.)

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sounds you like melts. Also Ruben's. Tuna Melt's...ugh!

Rubens are too heavy for me. Had on in Cape May in a Diner and had to take half home. Kraut is very heavy and hard to cut through.

I do.  The layer of Kraut ought not be thick.  Tuna Melts and Patty Melts are delicious and the quality/type of bread makes a difference as well. 

21 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately I do disagree with you about he buttering the bread for toasting. Mayo agree NO!

I find it helps give the bread a golden coating which is accomplishment by carefully watching the process. Regular bread on a non stick or cast iron which I have and sometimes use alone does not really cause that coloring. I also sly away from panini presses and toss the sandwich myself.

Actually I use a like butter margarine spray to gently coat the bread.

Isn't there a contradiction in what you are saying regarding the butter margarine spray and the buttering of the bread?  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Isn't there a contradiction in what you are saying regarding the butter margarine spray and the buttering of the bread?  

One is a true butter and the other is an vegetable type of spray. One nowhere like the other in the form of butter. Just a item to add a glossy toast look. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Yes!  It shows up in local bakeries for a couple of weeks, and then the season is over.

My favorite version has raisins throughout.  Toast a slice, then top with butter, cream cheese, or English orange marmalade.  (I will be re-stocking my marmalade supply while in Bermuda in June.)

We are lucky to have a bakery that makes it all the time. More in bulk after Valentine's Day. 

So we have and now have it in the house. Raisins yes, but don't care for the Caraway Seeds. We like it with tub butter or a local made jelly or jam. Of course either plain or toasted is fine.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:05 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

One is a true butter and the other is an vegetable type of spray. One nowhere like the other in the form of butter. Just a item to add a glossy toast look. 

Different Chefs; different preferences for a recipe.  I prefer Butter because I think that adds flavor to the sandwich.  

On 3/14/2022 at 4:41 PM, rkacruiser said:

Different Chefs; different preferences for a recipe.  I prefer Butter because I think that adds flavor to the sandwich.  

I definitely prefer some sort of fat/oil on the bread like butter.  It just seems like you can't really get a nice crunchy golden brown crust without it.  I typically use butter or mayo.  Those who have not tried mayo might be surprised.  I initially wasn't sure I'd like it but thought it might add a little tang.  I find I can barely detect it,  it is easy to spread on instead of tearing the bread with butter and gives a nice color and texture.  Lately, I use Ghee;  easy to spread like mayo but has a a slightly nuttier flavor than butter.

I rarely fry or saute with margarine or many similar spreads or sprays.  They have have decent flavor but most have too much water in them so they don't give as good a crispness or color.

I like a good American cheese like Land-o-lakes or Dietz and Watson plus something like a smoky gouda or imported Swiss.  I can't resist adding a slice of ham or sliced olives as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Seamus6 said:

I can't resist adding a slice of ham or sliced olives as well.

I have been a very conservative cook when making a grilled sandwich of any type.  Adding sliced tomatoes, etc.,  or as you have suggested, sliced olives, I would have never considered that.  Would enjoy trying different cheeses with different combinations of meats.  But, what kind of a response would I receive from a deli counter worker when I asked for 2-3 slices of XX cheese?  Just to try that cheese.  

On 3/19/2022 at 8:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

I have been a very conservative cook when making a grilled sandwich of any type.  Adding sliced tomatoes, etc.,  or as you have suggested, sliced olives, I would have never considered that.  Would enjoy trying different cheeses with different combinations of meats.  But, what kind of a response would I receive from a deli counter worker when I asked for 2-3 slices of XX cheese?  Just to try that cheese.  

I remember once I wanted to experiment with different options on one sandwich and made it with one corner/quarter with olives, one with sliced raw onion, one with ham and forgot what the fourth was.

I apparently only like the ham and olives cuz that's all I routinely add besides varying the cheeses.

1 hour ago, Seamus6 said:

I apparently only like the ham and olives cuz that's all I routinely add besides varying the cheeses.

Should try a grilled cheese with Olive Loaf. Yes Olives but close to Ham or Bologna.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Should try a grilled cheese with Olive Loaf. Yes Olives but close to Ham or Bologna.

Now, that's an idea!  I like Olive Loaf as well as Pickle/Pimento Loaf.  Would P&P work?  Would Swiss Cheese work?  If not, what kind of cheese would be best?  

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Now, that's an idea!  I like Olive Loaf as well as Pickle/Pimento Loaf.  Would P&P work?  Would Swiss Cheese work?  If not, what kind of cheese would be best?  

We use Finlander Swiss, Muenster, Alpine Lace Swiss with most of our melts.

Never tried P&P?

31 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We use Finlander Swiss, Muenster, Alpine Lace Swiss with most of our melts.

Never tried P&P?

All those processed meats work well.  I will caution you that these combinations are high in salt and fats.  You might want to explore Baby Swiss cheese with those deli meats.  Baby Swiss has a nice nutty flavor IMO better than regular Swiss.  I like a nice sharp cheddar with spiral ham and deli mustard made with artisan cheese bread.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

All those processed meats work well.  I will caution you that these combinations are high in salt and fats.  You might want to explore Baby Swiss cheese with those deli meats.  Baby Swiss has a nice nutty flavor IMO better than regular Swiss.  I like a nice sharp cheddar with spiral ham and deli mustard made with artisan cheese bread.  

CGT,

Thank you for your concern but in moderation there is little concern at this time.

These are not a daily basis meals but once in awhile as a treat with a proper diet the rest of the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

CGT,

Thank you for your concern but in moderation there is little concern at this time.

These are not a daily basis meals but once in awhile as a treat with a proper diet the rest of the time.

I hear what you say…once a month is a good idea.  You’ve got me thinking.  It’s been years since I had olive loaf.  I’m thinking Baby Swiss, olive loaf, deli mustard on dark rye grilled to perfection…yummmmm.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I hear what you say…once a month is a good idea.  You’ve got me thinking.  It’s been years since I had olive loaf.  I’m thinking Baby Swiss, olive loaf, deli mustard on dark rye grilled to perfection…yummmmm.   

I have two of the three.  Need to get some Olive Loaf.  Sounds good and different than Grilled Ham and Swiss Cheese on dark (or light) Rye Bread for me.  

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 7:53 PM, rkacruiser said:

I am there where your thinking is.  

One of our favorite hams is the Black Forest Smoked Ham from our favorite german restaurant retail store.

Greatest bread and mustard.

When we go there we can smell the kitchen's exhaust and know they were making the ham.

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

One of our favorite hams is the Black Forest Smoked Ham from our favorite german restaurant retail store.

Greatest bread and mustard.

When we go there we can smell the kitchen's exhaust and know they were making the ham.

Black Forest Ham sounds delish.  Our grocery deli does sliced spiral ham and it really makes a great ham sandwich.  Finding really good rye bread is another problem.  I was spoiled as a child.  One of my best friends came from a family owned German bakery.  I used to hang out with my friend there after school.  They made the rye breads in these ancient wooden tubs that were seasoned with rye starter dough.  The big round loaves were then fed into a coal fired oven that had to be 15 feet deep.  I still dream about that rye bread.

Good morning, I love rye bread too🙂 CGT, this is a suggestion if you look for store bought........Cobblestone Rye. It is now under the "FLOWERS"/"WONDER" Label but it is the same as when the label said Cobblestone.....it is my favorite store bought......has a good deep texture and when I toast it? Always toasts to perfection🙂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I love rye bread too🙂 CGT, this is a suggestion if you look for store bought........Cobblestone Rye. It is now under the "FLOWERS"/"WONDER" Label but it is the same as when the label said Cobblestone.....it is my favorite store bought......has a good deep texture and when I toast it? Always toasts to perfection🙂

Thanks Lois…I’ll keep an eye out.