What is Your Favorite Meal at Home you Miss while you're Sailing.......

BklynBoy8

26 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We just had something I've never seen on a cruise: spaghetti squash.  Have any of you had it "asea"?

I LOVE spaghetti squash!!! I don't believe I have seen it at sea........was it good?

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We just had something I've never seen on a cruise: spaghetti squash.  Have any of you had it "asea"?

Love it. Taste and looks like Angel Hair.

Would ask on next trip for fun. We also make it with butter/oil/garlic for a side dish.

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We baked ours.  Topped it with grated cheese.  It was delicious.

We either bake it or cut into half and steam it.

Use homemade marinara sauce or homemade pesto.. Some like to toss with cheese and butter.

I even like to pan saute it to with fresh from garden thyme and butter.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:45 AM, Lois R said:

remember Lancer's?

Yes; another one that I have forgotten about.  I thought that the bottle the wine was in was rather "cool".

On 2/19/2022 at 4:40 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RIPPLE!!

Never drank the stuff.  

On 2/25/2022 at 5:04 PM, rkacruiser said:

Yes; another one that I have forgotten about.  I thought that the bottle the wine was in was rather "cool".

It certainly was!

On 2/25/2022 at 5:04 PM, rkacruiser said:

Never drank the stuff.  

Believe me…you wouldn’t want to!…Ripple was sickening sweet.  The winos liked it…it was cheap and potent.

• 2 weeks later...

A favorite that I enjoy at home that one does not eat on a ship is a simple Baked Beans with Wieners.  A couple of cans of Van de Camp's Pork and Beans, some onions, light brown sugar, a splash or more of Ketchup, some Parsley Flakes, and part of a package of one's favorite Wieners (I prefer Oscar Mayer):  bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or so.  An excellent concocation.

I must add that I put all of the ingredients (except for the wieners) together and put them in my refrigerator for a couple of hours to allow everything to "marinate" before putting the mixture in the oven.   Makes a difference?  It seems to for me.  The flavor seems to develop.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Thank you for the recipe. 

And, I got the recipe from my Mother.  She insisted that my Brother and me learn how to make more than Grilled Cheese (with Velveeta) Sandwiches and Tomato Soup by Campbell's.  

We all come from such different backgrounds.......when I was a kid, we never ate Velveeta......never.

My mom always bought "real cheese".......not processed.  I love grilled cheese sandwiches🙂....I sometimes use 2 or 3 cheeses and it gets so ooooie gooey😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

We all come from such different backgrounds.......when I was a kid, we never ate Velveeta......never.

My mom always bought "real cheese".......not processed.  I love grilled cheese sandwiches🙂....I sometimes use 2 or 3 cheeses and it gets so ooooie gooey😃

A great post that reminds us of our roots.  

Why Velveeta?  I can think of a few reasons that are specific to my family.  One of  those was my Brother's dislike to any cheese that was not Velveeta.  I disliked most cheeses at that time other than Velveeta as well.  Tastes evolve. 

A gooey multi-cheese sandwich would be something that I would like.  Swiss Cheese, grilled with light or certain brands of dark rye bread, is my favorite.  Lois, what other combination would you suggest?   

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

A great post that reminds us of our roots.  

Why Velveeta?  I can think of a few reasons that are specific to my family.  One of  those was my Brother's dislike to any cheese that was not Velveeta.  I disliked most cheeses at that time other than Velveeta as well.  Tastes evolve. 

A gooey multi-cheese sandwich would be something that I would like.  Swiss Cheese, grilled with light or certain brands of dark rye bread, is my favorite.  Lois, what other combination would you suggest?   

Hi, Oh, Monterey Jack, Colby, Havarti...........add some sliced tomatoes and bacon.......😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

At least you knew what Velveeta was😂. I had to Google it. 

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

At least you knew what Velveeta was😂. I had to Google it. 

It must be something from the states only......and we always had commercials about it on tv......(I think they still do).........

• Like 2

We enjoy Grilled Cheese with several cheeses grated and mixed and formed a patty.

It is like having a fondue in a brioche toasted. Sometimes we sauteed mixed mushrooms and sauteed shallots before grilling. A great glass of Pinto G hits the spots.

Grilled Cheese is a created dish to the individuals taste.

• Like 1

Yes, individual taste!  I see people buttering the bread before grilling it, or coating the bread with mayo. Either of those seem very unappealing to me.  Unbuttered bread, "toasted" in a cast iron skillet, with one's choice of cheese(s) inside....or open face.  Or, how about made in a press, similar to a panini press, but bread-shaped and with a form that seals the four sides?  My mother had a round one with a long handle, non-electric, that she would place over the flame on the cooktop, turning as needed.  

21 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I see people buttering the bread before grilling it

That is what I do.  Why?  That is what I was taught to do.  

A Grilled Swiss Cheese Sandwich on Rye Bread is my favorite.  Followed by a Grilled Ham and Swiss Cheese on Rye; followed by a Roast Beef/Pastrami/Corned Beef and Swiss Cheese on Rye; followed by a Tuna Melt.  

The bread is an important part of the sandwich, I have decided.  Usually use light Rye; dark Rye is good, but some dark Rye is better than others.  Not gourmet, but, I discovered that Kroger's makes a dark Rye pan Bread that is better than any of the other commercial brands of dark Rye that I have tried.  

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

.add some sliced tomatoes

Will try that.

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

It must be something from the states only......and we always had commercials about it on tv......(I think they still do).........

Yes.  And, I will get ads for the product online once in awhile.  

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Sometimes we sauteed mixed mushrooms and sauteed shallots before grilling.

Very good additions, I think.  But, too much work.  When I fix a Grilled Cheese type sandwich, I want something simple and quick to fix.  

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Yes, individual taste!  I see people buttering the bread before grilling it, or coating the bread with mayo. Either of those seem very unappealing to me.  Unbuttered bread, "toasted" in a cast iron skillet, with one's choice of cheese(s) inside....or open face.  Or, how about made in a press, similar to a panini press, but bread-shaped and with a form that seals the four sides?  My mother had a round one with a long handle, non-electric, that she would place over the flame on the cooktop, turning as needed.  

Unfortunately I do disagree with you about he buttering the bread for toasting. Mayo agree NO!

I find it helps give the bread a golden coating which is accomplishment by carefully watching the process. Regular bread on a non stick or cast iron which I have and sometimes use alone does not really cause that coloring. I also sly away from panini presses and toss the sandwich myself.

Actually I use a like butter margarine spray to gently coat the bread.

Can't believe there is a actual restaurant in Manhattan just for Grill Cheese sandwiches of multi kind....lol....

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Very good additions, I think.  But, too much work.  When I fix a Grilled Cheese type sandwich, I want something simple and quick to fix.  

Not really a lot of work, learned short order cooking from Dad so not long. 

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A Grilled Swiss Cheese Sandwich on Rye Bread is my favorite.  Followed by a Grilled Ham and Swiss Cheese on Rye; followed by a Roast Beef/Pastrami/Corned Beef and Swiss Cheese on Rye; followed by a Tuna Melt.  

The bread is an important part of the sandwich, I have decided.  Usually use light Rye; dark Rye is good, but some dark Rye is better than others.  Not gourmet, but, I discovered that Kroger's makes a dark Rye pan Bread that is better than any of the other commercial brands of dark Rye that I have tried.    

Sounds you like melts. Also Ruben's. Tuna Melt's...ugh!

Rubens are too heavy for me. Had on in Cape May in a Diner and had to take half home. Kraut is very heavy and hard to cut through. The cheese stuck to the Kraut and separate from the bread below.

DW likes Smoked Black Forest Ham with Swiss on Top using Italian Bread. Melting on the Broiler till Golden Brown. They look great.

My Aunt use to make for Ladies Luncheons Toasted White Bread. Browned Bacon Strips. And couple of American Yellow Cheese. Melted to coat over the Bacon till slightly browned. They look great and very tasty.