Ship WiFi VPN ???

Barsnikel

I have booked a December cruise on the Pride for myself and my son.  He has a job that allows him to work from any location, as long as he can use WiFI.

In the many cruises I have taken, I have never needed (or wanted) WiFI on the ship, but obviously it is something he will require.

He will need VPN capability, which is something that can be turned off or enabled by the WiFI service provider.  Has anyone attempted a VPN connection on a Carnival ship ?  And if so, which package is required ?

I intend to contact Guest Services, but they do not always give the most accurate answers  🙂

Thanks in advance for your guidance....

Edited by Barsnikel

According to one of the faq’s on carnivals website. VPN’s are not supported.

What restrictions are there?

Please note that as our services are carried via satellite, there are a few limitations compared to your home network.

>Only one device at a time can connect to Wi-Fi

>Satellite internet speed may vary depending on location and time of day

>Access to certain sites such as mature or violent content is blocked

>VPN connections are not supported.  Discuss your VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings on board

>Pricing for plans purchased pre-cruise vary from plans purchased at time of sailing

>No refunds after plan is activated on board

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, shof515 said:

satellite internet is like dial up speeds. the vpn might work but it will be very slow and you will gets lots of connection/disconnection problems

Carnival Wi-Fi does not support VPN connections at all. If he can use a general international cellular data package that will work with Cellular at Sea, it might work. Another solution might be to use something like Team Viewer,  but it requires another computer to be on and connected (although that could be on a desk at home, or even in his office) - you're basically controlling the computer form afar, so it's less data to push over the Internet.

If the VPN is a "must have" my suggestion would be for your son to cancel. This is from Carnival.com:

Please note that as our services are carried via satellite, there are a few limitations compared to your home network.

• Only one device at a time can connect to Wi-Fi
• Satellite internet speed may vary depending on location and time of day
• Access to certain sites such as mature or violent content is blocked
• VPN connections are not supported. Discuss your VPN limitations with your company’s IT department if you are planning to work while sailing. We are not able to change your settings on board
• Pricing for plans purchased pre-cruise vary from plans purchased at time of sailing
• No refunds after plan is activated on board

• Like 2

A couple of years ago when I still worked, I would always have to connect to the companies VPN to access the companies "intrAnet". I could go anywhere on the "intErnet",,, just not into the companies internal network without VPN.

Their VPN service would drop my connectivity speed by 90%. So, if I had 100mbps speed without VPN, I was at 5 to 10mbps when connected.

Now, lets transfer to the ships internet. The best I ever got on a ship was 3mbps speed with up to a 1 second connection time.

Needless to say, using the VPN on the ships wifi was not doable. The VPN connection would time out before connection could be made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It depends on the VPN. I use VPN to get around some of the restrictions, but if your VPN doesn't work, don't expect Carnival to help. It has to do with which ports it uses.

If you don't have to use a specific VPN, some will work.

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, klfrodo said:

...The best I ever got on a ship was 3mbps speed with up to a 1 second connection time.....

Dang, you must have hit it on the best day of the year.  I rarely got over 1mbps (and of course that was with the "Premium" package).  And I have to agree with everyone else, the ship wi-fi is just too slow to use for any serious work. 

But hey, once you get on the ship you're not gonna' have time for work anyway.  😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have remote accessed my work every cruise. I've used AnyDesk & TeamViewer. I think I have used Windows Remote Desktop as well. So worst case he could remote into a home desktop to connect to the VPN.

Edited by Jamesatgsu
  • Like 1

Somehow... yep, somehow I've enjoyed solid 20+ Mbps on both the Oasis and Allure. As I recall, it was also included with our cabin (as a suite booking perk).

Carnival seems to be a step (or two) behind in this department.

Tom

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Somehow... yep, somehow I've enjoyed solid 20+ Mbps on both the Oasis and Allure. As I recall, it was also included with our cabin (as a suite booking perk).

Carnival seems to be a step (or two) behind in this department.

Tom

Ah -- found it (I knew I had a screenshot of a speed test). From the Allure OTS 06/04/16:

i-J9zGPSG-L.png

Tom

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I "worked" with VPN on 3 cruises this year.  It is extremely slow and frustrating unless you pick less busy times.  I found late afternoon to work best.  I also found that the middle package was just as good as the premium.  That is just my experience.

P.S.  I am able to get e-mail on my phone and that worked lots better than my laptop.  Teams meetings were no problem.

I’ve been on both..on the panorama WiFi was absolutely a joke (literally 56kbps!) then recently on the miracle it wasn’t too bad (~20Mbps).

So; it really just depends on how full the ship is with people on WiFi.

and yes vpn will work (we use PAN and it worked fine)

• 1 year later...
On 8/19/2022 at 3:47 AM, Solo1959 said:

I use my VPN on Carnival all the time. Well, almost all the time. It needs to be turned off when 1st connecting to the ship's  internet. But once connected I can use it and it does work.

@Solo1959 which specific VPN software

On 6/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, shof515 said:

satellite internet is like dial up speeds. the vpn might work but it will be very slow and you will gets lots of connection/disconnection problems

you get lots disconnection problems, our last cruise they said it was the cabin location, but we have the same where ever the cabins location is, sometimes it's wonderful and sometimes it is not , I take my lap top to watch races weekends and the internet for whatever, E mail. sometimes frustrating

Just now, PA Dutchman said:

you get lots disconnection problems, our last cruise they said it was the cabin location, but we have the same where ever the cabins location is, sometimes it's wonderful and sometimes it is not , I take my lap top to watch races weekends and the internet for whatever, E mail. sometimes frustrating,  this was on the Legend