POA port or starboard

Gracelyn

Hi. I’m sure this has been asked but can’t find the answer. 
planning on the POA  but not sure which side to book. 
I know port will go by the Napoli coast and starboard goes past the volcano. 
but, when going into ports which side for viewing the port when docked?

also sunsets port side? 
also cabin8514 will that overlook the life boats? 
thanks 

gracelyn. 

3 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

IIRC, the ship turns around on the pass by the Napoli coast so it can be viewed by both sides.  And if you go up top, there is some narration you wouldn't hear in your cabin.

Thanks I read it turns around late eve. What does IIRC mean?

2 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

Thanks I read it turns around late eve. What does IIRC mean?

The ship pulls out early that day to return to Honolulu.  It was mid-afternoon.  The itinerary says "Afternoon Cruise of the Napali Coast".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracelyn said:

Hi. I’m sure this has been asked but can’t find the answer. 
planning on the POA  but not sure which side to book. 
I know port will go by the Napoli coast and starboard goes past the volcano. 
but, when going into ports which side for viewing the port when docked?

also sunsets port side? 
also cabin8514 will that overlook the life boats? 
thanks 

gracelyn. 

Here on Maui the POA will dock with its right (starboard) side facing Kahului, a largely commercial/industrial area.  Looking off a starboard balcony to your right in the distance are the West Maui Mountains.  In the distance looking to your left is Mount Haleakala.

You can google deck plans to see just where your cabin is located.  We took a quick look and see 8514 is a connecting room fairly far forward on the ship.

5 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:.

You can google deck plans to see just where your cabin is located.  We took a quick look and see 8514 is a connecting room fairly far forward on the ship.

Awe, ok that’s good to know. we plan on staying in Maui after the cruise. My parents went golfing there for 32 years and this is a memorial holiday. 

yes that cabin is what is labeled a “large balcony”.  I know we will hardly use it but my sister will be there with her husband in a window room. I want him to have space for his walker. 

We were in connecting large balcony cabins on deck 9 on the left side. Found it better since it sails first around the coast when the lighting is a bit better. Had the tv on in the background to hear the narration and our binoculars and mega zoom camera lens ready. Lots of waterfalls to be on the lookout for, amazing scenery. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

We were in connecting large balcony cabins on deck 9 on the left side. Found it better since it sails first around the coast when the lighting is a bit better. Had the tv on in the background to hear the narration and our binoculars and mega zoom camera lens ready. Lots of waterfalls to be on the lookout for, amazing scenery. 

Ohh that’s awesome. Did you feel the rocking a lot? 

Nope, only felt the ship rocking a bit one night as we walked back from the bar. Took us a little bit to realize it was the boat and not us when we saw other passengers walking a bit crooked too. 

The only trip we really felt the movement to the point of getting a little nauseous was in the DOS on the Jade when we were gunning it on the sea day. Up there on deck 15 you feel EVERYTHING, lots of swaying.

• Haha 2

When we did the Napoli coast, we sailed close to the coastline one way and were a lot further out coming back, so viewing from the balcony would have been a lot worse if on the starboard side.

However, it had started raining so maybe that is the reason why we sailed further away.

All that said, we were on the promenade deck anyway. The ability to move around made it much nicer than being on a balcony.

Edited by KeithJenner

Thanks Keith. When you were docked was starboard facing the ports?

My dilemma is size of balcony for my BIL with his walker. Large balconies seem to be only available in forward now. 

so many sold out on calendar. I wonder if that’s really the fact. Crazy $110000 for a balcony. 

6 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

My dilemma is size of balcony for my BIL with his walker. Large balconies seem to be only available in forward now. 

so many sold out on calendar. I wonder if that’s really the fact. Crazy $110000 for a balcony. 

I honestly don’t remember which way we were docked. We actually had an aft balcony, so port/starboard didn’t make a difference to us. We were off the ship most of the time whilst docked, so it didn’t make much difference to us anyway.

Sorry I can’t help more. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

In case you haven't looked it up and are trying to figure what space you'll have, your B6 large balcony cabin is 138 square feet inside with a balcony of 79 to 95 square feet (the regular balcony size is 40 square feet).    

• Like 1

You want the port side for viewing the Napali coast. Yes the ship turns but by then the lighting and colors are not as optimal. Once the ship turned, we then had a beautiful sunset on the port side which was truly the best of both worlds.

As far as docking, I thought all our views from the port side were great although it hardly mattered since we were off the ship as soon as possible.

Edited by Beachiekeen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1