Specialty Restaurants

Qwltngcruiser

18 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Totally agree.

Suites have unlimited use of the Specialty restaurants.  They (and often, we) do not need to also have first shot at general dining reservations.

If you mean MDR reservations, you can’t reserve tables in the MDR, you just turn up and wait in Discoveries Bar if a table isn’t available immediately.

5 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

If you mean MDR reservations, you can’t reserve tables in the MDR, you just turn up and wait in Discoveries Bar if a table isn’t available immediately.

I was thinking of Azamara's latest (and only) missive on the onboard procedures that will be in place when sailing begins.  Whether that changes or not in the next months is yet to be determined.

Reservations are recommended for all dining venues and can be made once onboard.

11 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I was thinking of Azamara's latest (and only) missive on the onboard procedures that will be in place when sailing begins.  Whether that changes or not in the next months is yet to be determined.

Reservations are recommended for all dining venues and can be made once onboard.

We received the same missive when moving from this October to next.

What used to be will not be the same in many instances given the current world situation and it makes perfect sense to have set dining times in all venues in order to avoid crowding.

18 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Aah - I forgot about that. I expect that MDR reservations will also be on a first come first served basis, the same as the Speciality restaurants are.

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Aah - I forgot about that. I expect that MDR reservations will also be on a first come first served basis, the same as the Speciality restaurants are.

I'd guess MDR reservations will end post-Covid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roberts2005 said:

What time do specialty restaurants start their first seating?  In a prior post, in this chain, someone said reservations could be made day before.  We’re they referring to day before boarding or day before dining?

Anytime after boarding...for the entire cruise.

5 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

What time do specialty restaurants start their first seating?  

The two speciality restaurants open at 6:00pm, as does Discoveries (MDR) & Windows (Buffet). The Patio opens at 6:30pm. Note tho’ that these timings may change going forward.

I can’t find restaurant hours - how late does Windows stay open at night? 
would a cabin underneath experience a good deal of noise? Thinking that Aft movement vs forward, but not wanting late night or super early noise

Edited by Vineyard View

There will be noise if you are bunking right underneath Windows, how much I can't say. We were in a suite under the pool area in the past, and while we never really heard daytime noise while in the room, there was daily commotion in the early morning hours when the crew were dragging the loungers on deck. If you can move, I would advise it. Forward on Deck 8 is under the spa area. It's going to be very quiet unless there is a shoot out in the barber shop.   RE Robert's question of "day before" reservations. I meant the day before, after you've gone on board. In many years of sailing with Azamara, I can remember only two incidences where I tried to get same day reservations at Aqualina and was turned away. But there was no difficulty booking for the following day. Remember, the bulk of passengers will be dining in the MDR or at Windows, and these ships don't carry a passenger loads of 4-5,000 souls. Have a great time. We are starting to draw up our packing lists for October.

Oy. Thank you so much Dr H. I felt that way but TA didn’t recommend. I have to believe that you, and Phil earlier, just might have more insight and I really appreciate that. 
We are going with Azamara rather than O. We can’t wait to experience for the first time! Thanks all!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr H said:

There will be noise if you are bunking right underneath Windows, how much I can't say. We were in a suite under the pool area in the past, and while we never really heard daytime noise while in the room, there was daily commotion in the early morning hours when the crew were dragging the loungers on deck. If you can move, I would advise it. Forward on Deck 8 is under the spa area. It's going to be very quiet unless there is a shoot out in the barber shop.   RE Robert's question of "day before" reservations. I meant the day before, after you've gone on board. In many years of sailing with Azamara, I can remember only two incidences where I tried to get same day reservations at Aqualina and was turned away. But there was no difficulty booking for the following day. Remember, the bulk of passengers will be dining in the MDR or at Windows, and these ships don't carry a passenger loads of 4-5,000 souls. Have a great time. We are starting to draw up our packing lists for October.

Thank you for clarifying what you meant by day before.

we normally like a table for two on the side.  We do not like sitting at the back under the sloped ceiling.

10 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I can’t find restaurant hours - how late does Windows stay open at night? 

All dining rooms official hours are until 9 except the Patio which is 8:30.

In Windows that means the buffet closes at 9 so a few people might be finishing meals after that, especially in the open air Sunset Bar area at the stern. 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:33 AM, ECCruise said:

Totally agree.

Suites have unlimited use of the Specialty restaurants.  They (and often, we) do not need to also have first shot at general dining reservations.

Does that include Chef's Table? Our only AZ cruise was a short trip to Cuba over Thanksgiving in 2018. The Chef's Table meal was as good or better than any we've had with Seabourn or Crystal. Off to Greece in October! 

Just now, Jimmyford51 said:

Does that include Chef's Table? Our only AZ cruise was a short trip to Cuba over Thanksgiving in 2018. The Chef's Table meal was as good or better than any we've had with Seabourn or Crystal. Off to Greece in October! 

No.  Unlimited use of Specialties does not include Chef's table.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Is Chefs Table difficult to get a reservation? 

They can be.  Each Chef's Table is only 12-14 pax. Book as soon as you get on the ship if you want to have the best shot.

We liked the main dining room, conspiring to get our favorite waiter (Philbert) each night.   We did do a special valentines day dinner in the (if I'm remembering right) Aquafina.    That was extraordinary, as well.   Didn't do the chef's table.    Sometimes  you have to look at what's going on.   The crew on the Journey we were on were obviously heavily Indian, so we didn't miss Indian night in Windows.    Also the lunch the day they had the German meal was fabulous.   We ate burgers on the patio at lunch a lot as well.

4 hours ago, flyingron said:

Yep, they were great.

I’m not a huge fan of the Patio lunch menu (maybe because I don’t eat red meat), but have had lunch there on sea days because of the convenience. Definitely would like to try for dinner some time!

23 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I’m not a huge fan of the Patio lunch menu (maybe because I don’t eat red meat), but have had lunch there on sea days because of the convenience. Definitely would like to try for dinner some time!

It's very nice for dinner and freshly cooked. If you go then don't leave it too late. Go at 7.30 or before. The issue I've had is that even though it's open until 8.30, if you leave it until the second half of their serving evening they can be cleaning up the area before you leave. Also, if you want to go into the buffet and get dessert instead of the limited Patio offering, that shuts at not long after 9 for afters. 

Phil 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

It's very nice for dinner and freshly cooked. If you go then don't leave it too late. Go at 7.30 or before. The issue I've had is that even though it's open until 8.30, if you leave it until the second half of their serving evening they can be cleaning up the area before you leave. Also, if you want to go into the buffet and get dessert instead of the limited Patio offering, that shuts at not long after 9 for afters. 

Phil 

Thanks for the tip, Phil!