Adventure - Add'l Restrictions on Parents of Unvaccinated Children

Received the below about an hour ago. Don't want to hear about how things are fluid and can change, but this materially changes our expectations of how our cruise will be, and we are in the middle of packing for tomorrow's sailing. On the phone w/ Royal now. Now we are not able to go into Freeport or Cozumel on our own even if our son stays on the ship w/ my MIL or my wife and MIL want to go into port for shopping (or whatever) while our son stays onboard w/ me.  Heads up to anyone else sailing tomorrow or soon in the same situation. Beyond frustrated.

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We’ve been preparing for your sailing and now that we have had a couple of Adventure of the Seas sailings, we have an updated requirement to share with you.

In abundance of caution, when visiting ports other than Perfect Day at CocoCay, parties that include unvaccinated guests, including parents traveling with unvaccinated children, are required to participate in shore excursions offered by local tour operators approved by Royal Caribbean. These tours meet our health and safety requirements for unvaccinated guests. Entirely vaccinated traveling parties may visit the port freely. All guests are subject to restrictions and requirements as defined by local authorities in the ports we visit. Additional details will be provided onboard.

We are sorry for the last-minute change for unvaccinated guests and those traveling with them. The decision was made to protect you and the communities we visit. To help offset this change, on this sailing, shore excursions will be offered at a discounted rate for guests under 16. Once onboard, please visit the shore excursions desk on Deck 5 and our amazing team will help find the perfect excursion that will give you that adventure you’ve been looking for or the laidback vacation you’ve been dreaming about for over a year.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1-800-256-6649. We will gladly answer your questions and work with you to reschedule or refund your cruise.

Click here if you would like to revisit all health requirements for your sailing.

We look forward to having you onboard for our Royal Comeback!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

• Thanks 1

We knew our son would have to wear a mask, and we've talked with him about it. He was back in-person at school this past year since late August; thus nothing new for him. My/our issue is that now we are restricted even if he is not with us. Not wanting to speculate, but I would put Vegas $ on this is due to the positive COVID tests on the current sailing by an unvaccinated minor.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bimmerboy said:

Don't want to hear about how things are fluid and can change, but this materially changes our expectations of how our cruise will be, and we are in the middle of packing for tomorrow's sailing.

Well from your statement, obviously you realize things ARE fluid and subject to change at the moment. Be thankful you aren’t on the almost fully vaccinated Celebrity ship that has just announced all guests are required to take ship excursions only for the next sailing to Cozumel and Costa Maya.

I realize it is disappointing at such a late date but they could just have easily announced it once you were on the ship. Unfortunately I think anyone booking cruises at the moment has to accept the situation IS very fluid. You may/ may not go where you think you are going. You may/may not be allowed off or be allowed to tour on your own. Some of this is the cruise line’s own decision, some will be mandated by the country you are visiting.

This is precisely why we have no future cruises booked at present and why we have  just returned from an extended land visit  to Cozumel, where we did our own thing every day.

• Like 4

So to add an additional fact to the situation, am now being told that even though the e-mail says we can cancel, they are not able to physically do that in the system b/c there is not code available. 

Yes I know things are fluid. We've had multiple cruises cancelled (as have others). I am one of the most rational people you will ever meet. How this is being handled is the issue. Had we known about this on Wednesday we could have cancelled under CWC.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, bimmerboy said:

So to add an additional fact to the situation, am now being told that even though the e-mail says we can cancel, they are not able to physically do that in the system b/c there is not code available. 

Yes I know things are fluid. We've had multiple cruises cancelled (as have others). I am one of the most rational people you will ever meet. How this is being handled is the issue. Had we known about this on Wednesday we could have cancelled under CWC.

It is my understanding that this affects Cozumel and Freeport only for you? Do you have non-refundable independent excursions already booked? 

Do you have air fare booked through the cruise line? I understand your disappointment but I am not sure at this point in time I would be considering canceling on principle, when I knew this was a possibility. 

Edited by c-leg5
Spelling
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

They should have started this from the beginning. More parents might have not booked and some are probably already in the Bahamas.

Stuff like this is going to happen regularly and people need to be prepared. Look what happened 48 hours before the first Adventure cruise. Everyone (including vaccinated passengers) were told they would be tested at the port. Anybody not willing to accept last minute changes shouldn’t be sailing. It is what it is and there will be more changes coming I’m sure. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, bimmerboy said:

Agreed you have to be prepared. Originally the adults on our cruise did not have to have a negative COVID test until about 10-12 days ago; we were notified of the new requirement with rather short, but reasonable notice, and we all took our COVID tests on Tuesday. Having to take a COVID test and changing what you can do off the ship are two different fact patterns; hence I disagree with your penultimate sentence quoted above.

And if they eliminate a port stop all together, or change their mask protocols mid-cruise so that vaccinated passengers have to wear masks, or a whole host of other possible changes are you going to feel the same way?  The only constant in this new sailing environment is change. 

A couple things from someone booked on the 7/17 cruise with a 7 year old.

1) We booked this a month after restarting expecting to be guinea pigs.  I get the need to change things as they figure this out.  It does feel like they are changing things every 24 hours and it would be helpful if possible for them to slow down on presentation.  I'm concerned someone is going to be confused and screw something up in regards to vaccinations/ports/etc.

2) Freeport would have been nice to get off the ship and explore the port, but there is little else there that interests us.  I'll live with the extra day on the ship.

3) Might get a discount on our Playa Mia Cozumel excursion for both kids and I'll welcome that.

4) I'm going to just keep rolling with the punches.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What do you mean "only"? That is two if the three ports and the other is Coco Cay

34 minutes ago, wreckem2013 said:

Theres not much available at these ports. 

By “only” I mean, many people would consider these “filler” ports on this cruise as evidenced by the first person who replied to you. I would assume, rightly or wrongly, most people booked because of the Coco Cay draw.

I am probably the exception after trying  the “new improved” Coco Cay for the first time on my cruise the last week before shutdown last year. I am in no hurry to book a cruise that stops there even once let alone twice in one cruise. I can understand the draw if you have kids sailing with you and since the OP has a kid, I assume again, maybe incorrectly, that would be the most significant port for them. 

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've been to Cozumel. There is plenty to do.

I agree. I have just returned from an extended repeat land visit there. I followed their local restrictions and chose exactly what I wanted to do. I was free to walk around where I wanted, masked in public areas and enjoy any beach clubs/bars, restaurants, excursions that were open and appealed to me.

Many people don’t see Cozumel in that light because they never venture beyond the port, Margaritaville/snr Frogs (not open by the way) and Melgar.

I don’t blame them.  Other countries are so far behind in vaccination.  I wouldn’t want an unvaccinated kid walking around possibly unknowingly spreading covid to the locals.  I wish they had stuck to 100% vaccinated only.

I had a feeling first few months were going to be crazy.  We are waiting until next year.

I hope you can still make the most of it.  We prefer the ships anyways.  We often don’t get off in ports like Cozumel.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

By “only” I mean, many people would consider these “filler” ports on this cruise as evidenced by the first person who replied to you. I would assume, rightly or wrongly, most people booked because of the Coco Cay draw.

I am probably the exception after trying  the “new improved” Coco Cay for the first time on my cruise the last week before shutdown last year. I am in no hurry to book a cruise that stops there even once let alone twice in one cruise. I can understand the draw if you have kids sailing with you and since the OP has a kid, I assume again, maybe incorrectly, that would be the most significant port for them. 

I agree. I have just returned from an extended repeat land visit there. I followed their local restrictions and chose exactly what I wanted to do. I was free to walk around where I wanted, masked in public areas and enjoy any beach clubs/bars, restaurants, excursions that were open and appealed to me.

Many people don’t see Cozumel in that light because they never venture beyond the port, Margaritaville/snr Frogs (not open by the way) and Melgar.

I agree with your entire post. I have yet to visit Coco Cay but I am not a fan of the private stops including Labadee.

Your comments on Cozumel are spot on. And in fact that is how some people visit all of the Caribbean islands. I don't know how many times someone has said once you have seen one island you have seen them all. I think each is very unique with something special to offer.

• Like 2

Good thing you posted this!  I'm cruising with my parents and my niece (who will be 9 at the time) in November.  All adults on the cruise have already been vaccinated and have been fully protected since mid-April.  For obvious reasons, my niece has not been vaccinated.  We were looking at shore excursions last night and haven't made any final decisions on what to do yet, but we were considering going to our favorite shops.  Now, unfortunately, unless things change, we may have to wait to visit those shops until our Feb. cruise!

My niece is really good about wearing masks (she even reminds us if we forget to give her one!), so I'm not worried about that.

Edited by broadwaybaby123

45 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've been to Cozumel. There is plenty to do.

There is plenty to do, unfortunately there are a ton of excursions from Royal. More were added today. Now there are 11 excursions to choose from next week in Cozumel and 8 in Grand Bahamas, and several of those were added today. When we booked the cruise we had no intention of getting off the boat in Cozumel, decided we might go shop close to the port and support some of the locals when they announced we could, but now we are back to staying in the ship unless they offer some better deals on excursions. 

We are cruising on July 3rd with our 11 and 8 year olds. We booked knowing we needed to be flexible, and we are rolling with the punches but like someone else said, the steady changes make me nervous that I will miss something important. My boys also know that they will be expected to wear a mask indoors and we all will wear them on any excursions we decide to go on. The boys have worn masks at school and I still have to wear a mask to work even though I’m vaccinated.