Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The Princess Medallions do have an internal battery, but they don't replace dead ones.  Relatively short lifespan and those things are garbage.  I have advocated for a recycle bin at the exit gangway for those guests who don't want a souvenir or a fridge magnet (yes, they contain a magnet as well).

We recycle ours when we get home

• Thanks 1

Just now, memoak said:

We recycle ours when we get home

May I ask where?  We don't have convenient electronics recycle here - maybe a special day or two per year.  I am assuming it would go into electronic recycle.  We can drop electronics off at Staples, but IDK if they would send the Medallions off with wiring, old PC's, monitors, printers, etc.  They don't come apart easily, so hard to recycle the battery alone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

May I ask where?  We don't have convenient electronics recycle here - maybe a special day or two per year.  I am assuming it would go into electronic recycle.  We can drop electronics off at Staples, but IDK if they would send the Medallions off with wiring, old PC's, monitors, printers, etc.  They don't come apart easily, so hard to recycle the battery alone.

We treat them as batteries. Our condo has a special recycling bin for batteries on every floor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The Princess Medallions do have an internal battery, but they don't replace dead ones.  Relatively short lifespan and those things are garbage.  I have advocated for a recycle bin at the exit gangway for those guests who don't want a souvenir or a fridge magnet (yes, they contain a magnet as well).

We were on a 14 day cruise....can't imagine how many times they might have to replace the batteries on a world cruise!! I've seen your advocating for recycling the medallions. Great idea. I also read the bit about the magnet....they are on my stackable washer and dryer along with a Princess Cruise Ship magnet!!  Fun!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, whataboutport said:

I thought the medallions were using RFID technology? No actual battery, similar to a pet microchip? Sounds expensive to have so many batteries, when all they are really doing is replacing a swipe card. With all the cutbacks I find it hard to believe all the medallions have batteries in them. RFID chips are cheap. I used to work for Lululemon. Every single tag on every item in the store had an rfid chip in the tag for inventory purposes.

Anyway, they should have just issued you a new one! Or given you a swipe card for the last night.

Medallion Technology

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

Near Field Communication (NFC)

Tony Roberts, Vice President Princess Cruises UK and Europe

There is definitely a battery in the Medallion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We’ve had two medallions with dead batteries in the last 4 cruises.  One big problem is with the short lifespan, the medallions age out, even when they’re in storage.  So they must have had a huge number of throwaways following the shut down.

Once the battery is weak/dead, the medallion loses the ability to broadcast the necessary info - so you can still hold it directly to a reader for it to work (barely) but none of the other functions will work.  

It is a bad design - but I’m sure it’s much cheaper (from a purchasing perspective only) to have the batteries non-replaceable, and someone made the decision that it was worth the trade offs.

16 hours ago, whataboutport said:

I thought the medallions were using RFID technology? No actual battery, similar to a pet microchip? Sounds expensive to have so many batteries, when all they are really doing is replacing a swipe card. With all the cutbacks I find it hard to believe all the medallions have batteries in them. RFID chips are cheap. I used to work for Lululemon. Every single tag on every item in the store had an rfid chip in the tag for inventory purposes.

Anyway, they should have just issued you a new one! Or given you a swipe card for the last night.

From the FCC application:

image.png.005df26671df9ec9fbbaecc95e8b12bd.png

https://fccid.io/2ANQX-01042017/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3614296

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First time Princess cruiser and mannnnnnn the app is difficult to use.  I cannot get through everything to check in.  So many questions.

1) Is it REQUIRED?  I assume so because I went online to check in and it tells me to go to the app. So many things are required to be input on the phone.  Why can these things not be input on the website, if I am logged in?  I hate working on a phone.

2) I took my profile picture in up-and-down format and it came out sideways.  I tried to retake it side-to-side and every single time I try to upload the replacement picture, the app crashes (simply exits) or I get an error message that the app is not responding and it needs to close.  Pixel phone, google world.

3) When I go back to my profile it routes me to choose my medallion every time.  Well I did all that and at the end it requests address information all over again (why?  I already input this in my profile) and payment method all over again (why?  I already put 2 in my profile).  I try to put one in and it says ERROR.  It's the same one I already have in profile.  I try to put another in and it says ERROR.  It's the other one I already have in my profile.  So now this section of the app is stuck at ordering medallions and I am in a loop I cannot exit.

4) Medallion portion says it can be ordered "up to 12 days before sailing."  Well that's terrible English.  Does that mean 12 days or closer, or 12 days or farther away?

Man what a terrible app.  Is there any way to ditch it or avoid it?  Right now I am not checked in and I don't see how to check in with all these roadblocks.

Edited by deltahog

23 hours ago, vampiress said:

oh the order is there, but the way it is displayed is just not obvious.  it looks like i still should order something and the receipt involved too many clicks to get to the point where i can see what i ordered.  i work with a bunch of ux people, so this kind fo thing jumps out at me.  mobile apps should be optimized to least amount of clicking.  but really it is sending me an email after i have already made my order that says i still need to order.  it wasn't a race condition, i placed my order over a month ago, this email shouldn't have been sent to me.

Oh my, you should read this thread just for the fun education about how Princess does communication.  What you describe is a very minor problem in comparison to all the rest of the problems.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, deltahog said:

First time Princess cruiser and mannnnnnn the app is difficult to use.  I cannot get through everything to check in.  So many questions.

1) Is it REQUIRED?  I assume so because I went online to check in and it tells me to go to the app. So many things are required to be input on the phone.  Why can these things not be input on the website, if I am logged in?  I hate working on a phone.

2) I took my profile picture in up-and-down format and it came out sideways.  I tried to retake it side-to-side and every single time I try to upload the replacement picture, the app crashes (simply exits) or I get an error message that the app is not responding and it needs to close.  Pixel phone, google world.

3) When I go back to my profile it routes me to choose my medallion every time.  Well I did all that and at the end it requests address information all over again (why?  I already input this in my profile) and payment method all over again (why?  I already put 2 in my profile).  I try to put one in and it says ERROR.  It's the same one I already have in profile.  I try to put another in and it says ERROR.  It's the other one I already have in my profile.  So now this section of the app is stuck at ordering medallions and I am in a loop I cannot exit.

4) Medallion portion says it can be ordered "up to 12 days before sailing."  Well that's terrible English.  Does that mean 12 days or closer, or 12 days or farther away?

Man what a terrible app.  Is there any way to ditch it or avoid it?  Right now I am not checked in and I don't see how to check in with all these roadblocks.

The whole medallion thing is awful.  Try once more the week before your cruise.  Then gather up all your docs and check in as always.  It's not worth trying to make it work, but you might have some fun with it once onboard.  About all it does is flash your photo as you approach your cabin.  WOW!!!  It was very exciting.  But you can play around with it, I found it rather entertaining.  For the record, you need to order your medallion no later than 12 days before sailing.  I wouldn't even bother, pick it up when you check in.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, deltahog said:

There is a web version of the Princess App (Ocean Ready functions, plus Dine My Way (DMW).  If you login to Princess.com and access Cruise Personalizer, you will see a reference to the App on the main page and there is a URL link to the web version.  No, it is not required and you can do it at the port and the check-in folks can enter data and take your photo, etc.

3 hours ago, deltahog said:

This and some other issues you have are too difficult to diagnose without a dialog and understanding exactly what you are doing.  The App has been a mess since it's release over two years ago, but has been functioning better in recent times and for many guests.  You might benefit from a phone call to main Princess line and listen to the phone tree options and pick the one for help with getting Ocean Ready.  You might find they can help get you sorted out if interested.  I am comfortable with technology and expect it to work as advertised.  The Princess App is nowhere near as good as other travel apps like airlines and hotels.  IDK how it is compared to other cruise line apps.  IDK why you are having photo issues - would need to see details of how you are doing it.  You are describing a very old issue IIRC.

Again, this is something where a dialog is required to review the step-by-step things you are doing in order to troubleshoot.

It reads clear enough for me.  Medallion must be ordered no later than 12 days prior to cruise date in order to arrive in time.  I wouldn't leave it that late, however.

See responses above in blue.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

The whole medallion thing is awful.  Try once more the week before your cruise.  Then gather up all your docs and check in as always.  It's not worth trying to make it work, but you might have some fun with it once onboard.  About all it does is flash your photo as you approach your cabin.  WOW!!!  It was very exciting.  But you can play around with it, I found it rather entertaining.  For the record, you need to order your medallion no later than 12 days before sailing.  I wouldn't even bother, pick it up when you check in.  

What a load of misinformation1

1. The Medallion is a separate entity from the app and unlocks the cabin door, make purchases onboard and record you going on and off the ship. Reports are that it works quite well.

2. The app which is now officially known as the Princess App has been problematic for some, however, you can do check in on the Princess website. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Looks like it’s more battery than anything else.

It seems like the battery life would be extended if there was a way to turn the medallion on and off. But no doubt that would present a bigger problem for many. 

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

1. The Medallion is a separate entity from the app and unlocks the cabin door, make purchases onboard and record you going on and off the ship. Reports are that it works quite well.

2. The app which is now officially known as the Princess App has been problematic for some, however, you can do check in on the Princess website. 

You're proving my point perfectly.  Unless you're familiar with the whole subject, the system doesn't work well.  For example, how would anyone know what the "app is officially known as the Princess App" if they've never encountered it before?  You understand the system, but lots of others do not.  Thanks for this great example.

22 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

You're proving my point perfectly.  Unless you're familiar with the whole subject, the system doesn't work well.  For example, how would anyone know what the "app is officially known as the Princess App" if they've never encountered it before?  You understand the system, but lots of others do not.  Thanks for this great example.

A further point is using the App onboard, although it is not useful to me, many people find that it works well onboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

A further point is using the App onboard, although it is not useful to me, many people find that it works well onboard.

Yeah, I enjoyed fooling around with it onboard.  By that time I had read many pages of this thread, so I didn't feel like such a fool not being able to 'get ocean read' with my phone.

14 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Once on board just log out of the app and log back in using your name and cabin number and the app will work great. We only use it to see what is the dinner menu and to check our folio

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

This is itself misinformation -- when I click Check In from a regular computer on my account/Princess website, it says go check in on the app.

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

Maybe you can let Princess know about the name...

image.thumb.png.b592a20cc1dc5465ea69085f7311f70d.png

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, deltahog said:

This is itself misinformation -- when I click Check In from a regular computer on my account/Princess website, it says go check in on the app.

Looked just now and you can still use the web version to check-in on the website.

image.thumb.png.ff0b214347e6bfd28f274519def9a3df.png

I did click on the web version link, but as I am already Green Lane status for this particular cruise, I am not able to see if the issues with "Link Booking" that I have experienced with trying to do this for new bookings still exist or if that has been fixed.  

HTH!

• Thanks 1

Just now, kamelia said:

Looked just now and you can still use the web version to check-in on the website.

image.thumb.png.ff0b214347e6bfd28f274519def9a3df.png

I did click on the web version link, but as I am already Green Lane status for this particular cruise, I am not able to see if the issues with "Link Booking" that I have experienced with trying to do this for new bookings still exist or if that has been fixed.  

HTH!

Perhaps it is telling me there is more info I need to complete on OceanReady and it directs me to the app to do that.  I am clunking my way around the website and maybe I can indeed do it here after all is completed.

1 minute ago, deltahog said:

Perhaps it is telling me there is more info I need to complete on OceanReady and it directs me to the app to do that.  I am clunking my way around the website and maybe I can indeed do it here after all is completed.

Our friend who does not have a cell phone was able to get Ocean Ready just using the web version on his computer and had his medallion mailed to him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Hmmm.  What specific info are you being told to refer to the app to complete?

31 minutes ago, deltahog said:

Go back there again look below the app information and in very tiny letters it says "Don't have a compatible device? Try our web version."

• Like 1