Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

30 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Well before you do that I would ask 'What can I NOT do on a single account'. I did not see a need for a second account but created one and reinstalled the App for myself - A HUGE STEP BACKWARDS.

So did you create aone with a new email address and password?

2 hours ago, Maddies Mom 46 said:

So did you create aone with a new email address and password?

Separate account for DW. Yes I set up a new account for her on Princess website with new email and password, I know Medallion does not need this but it seemed like a logical step. I set up an account on Medallion class using same password to keep things easy to remember for 'Princess'. Initially could log in to DW account but now it does not recognize the account. I used the 'forgot password' help. It said it would send email to fix password but nothing received. Initially I could see DW on my Medallion Account but not after re loading the App.

Login as DW give error message, I try 'Answer Security Question' it asks for Booking Number and then Name DOB - response is 'details not in system'. I back out and sign in using Booking Number, her Name, DOB and it logs in correctly. Now this latter login also worked when I just had one account in my name. But previously both my and her photo showed on Personal Info page, now it is just her or just me according to who signed in.

Edited by Tedferg

OK spent time on Medallion help line, very nice lady, she pushed questions up stream and got a response, she updated some information at her end and now I see both myself and DW in Personal profile. Interestingly she suggested I use Booking Number to log in, 'That seems to work better'.

She said there is another update next week, laughed and said , 'If you are brave enough to update'

She did not suggest that I needed two IDs.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Maddies Mom 46 said:

Thanks Ted.  It sounds like I'm better off keeping what I have. Since we're leaving on Sunday, I would panic if we lost info right now.  When is your cruise?

We have one on Oct 24 and next year Feb 26. The second one had items for Travel Info, the first did not Now neither have those items. I did not press that point  It used to complain that Emergency Return airport was not in the region that we live in. She updated that info. But of course I don’t see it now. 

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

The Support lady did say, ‘your cruise is not for 90 days and this is a soft release of the software' I took that to mean, don’t sweat the details at this time. 

"soft" release.  Yes, they are coming up with names for it so no one can call it "production release".

It's all just a big test folks.  We'll return you to the Cruise Personalizer in just a couple of days.  In the meantime, please keep trying to work with the MC App.

• Like 1

The last time I called Princess was almost two weeks ago, and I vowed never to call them again after they told me to get a new phone, that I missed the special diet deadline of 35 days before sailing, etc.

Tuesday I got an e-mail with this, though, so I called today.

"There are some incomplete required items in your profile which will delay boarding on your upcoming cruise with Princess for August 1,2021 to Alaska. All adult guests must login to the MedallionClass App and accept the passage contract and risk advisory as well as complete the Ocean Ready check in requirements. Not doing so will incur significant delays at the pier or even denial of boarding."

After 1.5 hours, I got to the most helpful person I've ever had with Princess.  She said she'd just come from a meeting discussing how their communications were reflecting poorly and to try to help passengers especially because the app wasn't working well.  She was able to find the passage contract for me to read but couldn't find the risk advisory.  (For anyone looking for the passage contract, log in on your computer using name, birthdate, and booking number, choose the itinerary icon, and you'll find the passage contract link at the end of the first paragraph.)  She said the risk advisory was solely about covid-19.  She said she was e-mailing the CEO's office and that someone would call later to follow up.

Someone from the CEO's office did call later, and she was hostile.  She claimed the app works fine.  When I told her to look at the multiple thousand posts/complaints online, she said those were all before the latest update which fixed everything.  When I said the letter was threatening with its "must" and "will incur" statements, she said I was totally wrong.  It's purely a good informational letter to passengers.  She said the only way I'd be denied boarding is if I haven't arrived and signed all documents at least 90 minutes before sailing.

These two Princess employees were night and day from each other.  One tried to help; one vehemently defended Princess and blamed me for everything.

These recent posts just again show how disjointed the CEO's office is from the common passenger -- especially one like me who is on their first cruise ever (and last cruise ever given the way it's being handled).

• Like 1

FYI Earlier a poster asked about checking two people in with one account. Since both of us appear on one account the choose Medallion has both names, so obviously we can both order Medallion. 

Remember the customer is always right, even when they are not. That is something Princess has to remember, but seems to have forgotten. If Princess wants to emerge from the worldwide pandemic they must change their attitudes as well as their tech. requirements. Make it easy to book and easy to board. 

Guest Snaxmuppet

Does anyone know how I can rotate my security and profile photos... they have uploaded on their side. I rotated them with a photo editor and re-uploaded but again, they have gone in on their side.

Based on pot #409; seems you can show up at the port with a partially filled out Medallion Class App and you will get on after you finish the required info.  At least there is some hope that if you don't have all green checks in the app; you can get green when you arrive at the port.

8 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Duncan did you get the rude person's name?

She said her name was Ruth.  She also told me that she knows the app was well tested because she was involved in the testing.  (At my past job I often got stuck doing new software module testing, but it was rigorous over multiple days and months with each of us taking different roles on a script and moving parts through queue after queue.  I hated it but now better understand why we did this.  We missed some little things that had to be fixed later but absolutely nothing like everything that was missed here.)

>>>>Based on post #409; seems you can show up at the port with a partially filled out Medallion Class App and you will get on after you finish the required info.  At least there is some hope that if you don't have all green checks in the app; you can get green when you arrive at the port.

Yes, at least that's what they told me.  I asked if there would be printed copies, and she said you'd be reading it on a tablet.  She just said you had to be there well before the 90-minute-before-sailing window if you want to read it and have it signed and not be denied boarding.  (And I actually read these types of documents in their entirety which is why I want them ahead of time to read on my computer and not a phone.)

• Like 1

I notice an odd thing. I wanted to update my Mobile number but did not get a response when inputting new number. If I tapped 'Mobile' the scroll box popped up with Home, Work, Mobile etc. if I selected Mobile it then let me change phone number. Similarly when I Saved it said invalid address, California was there, I clicked on State, scrolled to California and it worked. Then when I saved it said I did not have access to that Booking Number. I hit Save again and it worked !

It does seem to want you to select a category before you update the related item.

Does anyone NOT have the line items for Travel in Personal Info ? I had them for one booking number but not the other. Now it is missing from both. IDK if this feature has been removed or if it is a personal glitch.

What is the link to Princess MC video - I could compare that with what I see.

Edited by Tedferg

4 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Does anyone know how I can rotate my security and profile photos... they have uploaded on their side. I rotated them with a photo editor and re-uploaded but again, they have gone in on their side.

I have the same problem. 

14 hours ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

The last time I called Princess was almost two weeks ago, and I vowed never to call them again after they told me to get a new phone, that I missed the special diet deadline of 35 days before sailing, etc.

Tuesday I got an e-mail with this, though, so I called today.

"There are some incomplete required items in your profile which will delay boarding on your upcoming cruise with Princess for August 1,2021 to Alaska. All adult guests must login to the MedallionClass App and accept the passage contract and risk advisory as well as complete the Ocean Ready check in requirements. Not doing so will incur significant delays at the pier or even denial of boarding."

After 1.5 hours, I got to the most helpful person I've ever had with Princess.  She said she'd just come from a meeting discussing how their communications were reflecting poorly and to try to help passengers especially because the app wasn't working well.  She was able to find the passage contract for me to read but couldn't find the risk advisory.  (For anyone looking for the passage contract, log in on your computer using name, birthdate, and booking number, choose the itinerary icon, and you'll find the passage contract link at the end of the first paragraph.)  She said the risk advisory was solely about covid-19.  She said she was e-mailing the CEO's office and that someone would call later to follow up.

Someone from the CEO's office did call later, and she was hostile.  She claimed the app works fine.  When I told her to look at the multiple thousand posts/complaints online, she said those were all before the latest update which fixed everything.  When I said the letter was threatening with its "must" and "will incur" statements, she said I was totally wrong.  It's purely a good informational letter to passengers.  She said the only way I'd be denied boarding is if I haven't arrived and signed all documents at least 90 minutes before sailing.

These two Princess employees were night and day from each other.  One tried to help; one vehemently defended Princess and blamed me for everything.

These recent posts just again show how disjointed the CEO's office is from the common passenger -- especially one like me who is on their first cruise ever (and last cruise ever given the way it's being handled).

You've done well especially if this is your first cruise ever. I can assure you, as someone with 34 previous cruises under his belt, that I also have NEVER had so much confusion and frustration trying to get on a ship. Try another cruise line in the future. We're going back to Celebrity and then Holland America for our next three booked cruises with at least the assurance that we can check-in the "old fashion way" on our PC and at the port, with no problems.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

You've done well especially if this is your first cruise ever. I can assure you, as someone with 34 previous cruises under his belt, that I also have NEVER had so much confusion and frustration trying to get on a ship. Try another cruise line in the future. We're going back to Celebrity and then Holland America for our next three booked cruises with at least the assurance that we can check-in the "old fashion way" on our PC and at the port, with no problems.

Princess needs to hear this !

• Like 1

Just a quick note here that may or may not help a few, but it did for me. I experienced all the same issues that many of you have had with the app. I am using a Motorola Moto X4. Most of you know by now that you can go to the PlayStore and update the software if there is one available. Here is my recommendations, and again "Your mileage may vary"

- Be sure you have updated your phone's operating system to the latest firmware/software version. Usually you can google search how to do this for your particular phone but it is usually via the settings app and in that find either an update link or for some you have to hit the "about" or "device" and should see an update link. Once done, restart your phone.

- Next, Go to your settings app and delete any Old and unused programs. Some of us have apps that we may have not used in a year. Do yourself a favor and ditch the unused apps to free system storage and reduce memory usage. You can always reinstall it later if you want it again. Then restart the phone again (so the phone consolidates the storage and memory automatically).

- If you have a lot of documents or photos on your phone, consider using Google Drive, or Micorsoft One Drive to offload the photos and documents without losing them. You can still access them but via the "Cloud". Obviously keep those that you may like to see all the time, but move the rest off-phone. Then restart your phone again.

- Go to the Google PlayStore and check for updates for your remaining programs and update those apps if any updates are available! Once complete, yep, you guessed it, restart the phone.

NOTE: The above is a great idea to do before taking a cruise or travelling. It is not as aggressive as Factory resetting your phone and freshens up everything. My wife found her phone battery to last longer and apps run a small bit faster. All the old bloat will slow down your phone and eat up memory and storage resources.

- FINALLY, here is the tough one. Open the Medallion app, then tap on your picture and log out of the app (Make sure you already know your login name and password first). Then, on most phones running Android, you can push and hold over an app's icon and an App Info option will appear. You can tap the info option to get into that apps information screen. What I did with the Medallion App was do this and when in the Info screeen you have two option buttons, Uninstall (don't do this unless you are going to delete the entire app and reinstall it), and Force Stop. You want to tap the Force Stop button to force the phone to quit the app. Even though you logged out, there are processes running in the background and this stops them. Then, you can tap on the storage section. You will then be presented with 2 options which is Clear Cache and Clear Storage.

Clearing the Cache will just clean up the temporary files (saved words, etc) but doesn't get rid of your login and hard files. You can clear the Cache, then back out to the main menu and restart the phone and try the app and see if it helped. If not, then you can repeat the above to clear the cache, AND this time you can also Clear Storage. That will not remove the program, but will basically reset it to the same way it was the first time you downloaded it. Do both of those and back out to the main menu and restart your phone. Once done, you will need to open the Medallion App and enter your log in information and everything "should" repopulate. It has on my wife's and my phone.

This will not break anything, though it may not help the app but if there is an error in your phone with the app this will clear it. For my phone it allowed me to enter "some" of the information I was missing, for my wife there were no issues but her app runs faster. If this does not allow you to input all the information that is available to enter for now, then it is not your phone but an issue in the app. I had this also, (emergency city and some other items it would not let me enter) and calling Princess number and speaking with them resulted in them adding the missing information.

For what it's worth, the Princess CSR stated that my app was the most completed she had encountered yet and that the remaining items missing were ones only she could fix.

I do make the disclaimer that if you do the above, you do so at your own risk. Not that anything should break, but I don't want a fellow cruiser getting ticked off at me because they simply didn't understand and buggered their phone. The process is very simple to do and if you dig enough on the internet, you will find my procedures are basic maintenance. Alternatively, you can print this out and take it to your local cell provider store and ask them to do it.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Riddle me this.  Opened app today.  I have five of six green marks.  Waiting on arrival/departure time, which will be closer to my cruise date of Oct 4th.  Clicked on my photo in the app.  It shows Caribbean Princess for my five-day Cabo cruise out of San Pedro.  Log into princess personalizer and it shows Grand Princess, which is what we booked.  Grand is sitting off Ensenada Mexico, and CB is sitting in the Bahamas.  Not a big deal.  Just wanted to let everyone her know the app is wonky

2 hours ago, memoak said:

No one should have to work so hard just to get on board a ship 

Totally agree plus add no one should have to be a IT expert just to take a vacation. Bring back the cruise personlizer. It worked. 

• Like 4