Constellation Condition Question

mtnbkr60

On 6/28/2021 at 7:15 PM, mtnbkr60 said:

I am looking at a cruise on the Constellation in 2022, but I see that she never had her refurb/drydock in 2020.  If you sailed her in the last couple of years can you comment on the condition of the ship?  I have seen some pictures that seem to show the ship really is in poor shape. Celebrity won't say when/if the ship will get the refurb and I am not thrilled about putting down a non refundable deposit or worse being on a ship that is not up to par with the rest of the fleet.

We sailed on the Reflection (Aqua)  in 2019 and it was awesome, the best cruise we ever took and we still talk about that ship all the time.

We also did an eastern Med. cruise on the Reflection in 2019.  Our balcony,  cabin and bathroom were in great condition.  However, we noticed considerable wear in the theater on Deck 3.  The 'wood' on the seat in front of us had small chunks of 'wood' missing.  Some of the chairs in the public areas were showing some wear.  However, we had a great cruise and met some passengers we are still in contact with.  Captain Nicholas was friendly as were his officers.

Why is everybody going on about this refit???? This is a Celebrity ship not "no name brand" cruises. Even if the ship is old and hasn't had the "revolution" which has had mixed reviews. She will be well maintained with an excellent crew.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Why is everybody going on about this refit???? This is a Celebrity ship not "no name brand" cruises. Even if the ship is old and hasn't had the "revolution" which has had mixed reviews. She will be well maintained with an excellent crew.

Most people are concerned about how long the Constellation will remain a Celebrity ship.  Many people have cruises booked on this ship through 2023 and wonder if they should make other plans.

8 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Most people are concerned about how long the Constellation will remain a Celebrity ship.  Many people have cruises booked on this ship through 2023 and wonder if they should make other plans.

Wasn't the rumor that there were two ships of that class that might be sold to Pullmantur?  Maybe Infinity too?

Just now, zitsky said:

Wasn't the rumor that there were two ships of that class that might be sold to Pullmantur?  Maybe Infinity too?

Yep, that was the rumor.  But I think things have changed, I'll suggest that as long as Celebrity can make money with these ships they will keep sailing for Celebrity.  I'll bet they can make more money sailing with Celebrity rather than using them in a joint venture with Pulmantur.   But I am afraid that the blue and white paint job is a signal that they will leave the fleet before the next dry dock.

5 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Yep, that was the rumor.  But I think things have changed, I'll suggest that as long as Celebrity can make money with these ships they will keep sailing for Celebrity.  I'll bet they can make more money sailing with Celebrity rather than using them in a joint venture with Pulmantur.   But I am afraid that the blue and white paint job is a signal that they will leave the fleet before the next dry dock.

Did you slightly change your screen name?  Noticed the little blue hand now on your avatar.🥽

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Did you slightly change your screen name?  Noticed the little blue hand now on your avatar.🥽

I think it's a case of similar screen name.  If you type @ you can see them.

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Why is everybody going on about this refit????

The key players (everybody) know that Connie is a bellwether.   

Edited by JRG

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Oh I would agree with you.  I'm on Infinity in 2022 and almost everyone agrees it is a good ship.  But what else are we going to talk about while we wait for our cruises?  🙂

These ships that did not yet undergo The Revolution full refit (like Connie and Infinity) were most likely spruced up quite a bit at least cosmetically by the crew in the last 18 months.  And required maintenance (like on the engine drives) has been reported.  

Don't forget it was previously all but announced that Infinity and Constellation would be transferred to Pullmantur once they emerged from bankruptcy.  Celebrity denied this, but where there's smoke, there's fire.

A decent possibility exists that Pullmantur does not emerge from bankruptcy, but they could.  Some of the former Pullmantur crew stated a few months back that they were approached about renewing their contracts beginning in December 2021.

My personal opinion is that Infinity and Constellation will not be a part of Celebrity's long-term plans, regardless of whether or not Pullmantur is involved.  Revolutionizing these ships is quite expensive and obviously not only does business suck due to covid, but these are really old ships and they already have 2 revolutionized really old ships.  Celebrity offers a premium product and I think they have enough old ships, albeit with new lipstick on several.

I suspect they'll go "bye bye" at some point, sooner than later.  If you owned these ships in this climate, would you put hundreds of millions into them during a global pandemic when cash is tight?  I wouldn't.

This might mean something and it might mean nothing, but the dry dock is in Spain.  Guess where Pullmantur is based? (Spain).  And Pullmantur, while in a liquidation phase, does still have Horizon floating around out there somewhere.

Could they reemerge with Horizon, Infinity and Constellation?  Absolutely.  Will they?  That remains to be seen.

Edited by Stockjock

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

Don't forget it was previously all but announced that Infinity and Constellation would be transferred to Pullmantur once they emerged from bankruptcy.  Celebrity denied this, but where there's smoke, there's fire.

A decent possibility exists that Pullmantur does not ever emerge from bankruptcy, although some of the former Pullmantur crew stated a few months back that they were approached about renewing their contracts beginning in December 2021.

My personal opinion is that Infinity and Constellation will not be in Celebrity's long-term plans, regardless of whether or not Pullmantur is involved.  Revolutionizing these ships is quite expensive and obviously not only does business suck due to covid, but these are really old ships and they already have 2 revolutionized really old ships.

I suspect they'll go "bye bye" at some point, sooner than later.

Ok say I assume if you are correct, do they just replace the Infinity and Constellation with other ships? The fact that the Constellation did not get the blue hull paint job is concerning.  Maybe they move the Summit or Millennium to those routes.  The Constellation in Tampa concerning because it must be a Millennium class ship to fit under the bridge in Tampa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Ok say I assume if you are correct, do they just replace the Infinity and Constellation with other ships? The fact that the Constellation did not get the blue hull paint job is concerning.  Maybe they move the Summit or Millennium to those routes.  The Constellation in Tampa concerning because it must be a Millennium class ship to fit under the bridge in Tampa.

Obviously all of this is speculation at this point, but I do believe it's more logical than not that Celebrity will jettison Infinity and Constellation, one way or the other.

16 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

This might mean something and it might mean nothing, but the dry dock is in Spain.  Guess where Pullmantur is based? (Spain).

Probably nothing.  It's where RCCL does a lot of their dry dock work.

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

Probably nothing.  It's where RCCL does a lot of their dry dock work.

Could be true.  I just think when you add everything together, it does add uncertainty to the future of Constellation and Infinity, in my view.

Longer term, I'd agree. 

Shorter term, it looks like they getting Connie prepped for the Fall/Winter Caribbean itinerary.  This periodic maintenance would have been done during the 'Revolution' process while in dry dock in May 2020 if that had actually happened.  Would you give her a brand new paint job, even in the older colors, if you were going to turn around and hand it to a company that really can't afford it to begin with?  If it wasn't staying in my fleet for at least another full season, especially with $ as tight as they are at present, I'd defer the cost and hang it on the next guy.

• Like 2

When I saw that they did not change the color of the hull in Cadiz ( Constellation) I thought that an indication,  that Connie is indeed not in X´s long term plan.

I am huge fan of all Millenium Class ships but time flies and with all the new ships coming... it was to be expected. With the advent of the S- Class ships it was bye bye to Century, Galaxy and Mercury.