John Heald is stuck in the UK :( Will not be able to cruise :(

matymil

40 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I think it stems from idiots that don't follow science. They make their suggestions and other idiots say yes. 

This. All. Day. Long.

DH sells scientific instruments that range into the multi-million dollar range. He recently visited a customer in California - labs open, no masking, business as usual.  When they went to lunch, the customer paused at the door to put on his mask. "Are we required to wear masks here?", DH asks. "No, it's just the polite thing to do." This coming from a scientist. 😏

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Some countries have halted all travel from the UK due to the Delta variant (Hong Kong comes to mind), and European countries like Germany explicitly left the UK off the list of countries to be allowed to travel inbound.

So this is the world reacting to the spread within the UK, not just the US.

EDIT: it is unfortunate that Mr Heald and so many other were caught off guard, and I don't agree with this travel ban if the travelers are vaxxed and test negative, but I don't set immigration policy...

I understand that.  Depends on their vaccine rate.  Look at Australia right now - shut down.  Why?  Because of low vaccine rate.    If you are vaccinated, then you should not even be concerned about it.  Meanwhile, we are allowing unvaccinated people that are actually carrying the virus in by the thousands every week but we won't allow vaccinated people who had the PCR test in?  It's dumb.  

• Like 6

Just now, BrotherCraig said:

I understand that.  Depends on their vaccine rate.  Look at Australia right now - shut down.  Why?  Because of low vaccine rate.    If you are vaccinated, then you should not even be concerned about it.  Meanwhile, we are allowing unvaccinated people that are actually carrying the virus in by the thousands every week but we won't allow vaccinated people who had the PCR test in?  It's dumb.  

It is a combination of vaccine, the Delta variant, and WHO vs CDC. Even vaccinated people need to be concerned and not careless. And variant Gamma is coming.

49 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Doesn't make any sense.  Vaccinated - had the PCR test done - and no notice.  We already have the Delta variant in every state.  UK is seeing 3-4 deaths a day.  I am thinking this is a political and health play to get more people in the UK vaccinated.  

UK has a higher percentage of fully vaccinated population than the US.

4 hours ago, balcony bound said:

I wonder if it is due to the type of vaccine he received.  I read this a few days ago "Hopes for a US UK travel corridor are dwindling as concerns are rising that UK citizens with an AstraZeneca vaccine may be barred from traveling to America. "

The US accepts the seven vaccines approved by the WHO, which includes AstraZeneca.   I live in the US and have been vaccinated with AstraZeneca in a trial since January and pick up my CDC card on Tuesday.

Ruth Chaplin the US entry requirements are either FDA approved or WHO approved.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

This is taken from the CDC Website.  

± This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines.  This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford)

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It would seem to me that he would be a combination passenger and crew member. A passenger would not normally be allowed in crew areas, mask or no mask.

A crew member is defined as someone who is essential to the operation of the ship, so hotel workers are crew because they keep the hotel operation going.  Company employees, who are not required for the operation of the vessel, like corporate types, and John on this occasion, are considered to be passengers, though since they are employees, they can be in crew areas.  A corporate visitor, entering the crew "bubble" would be required to wear a mask, unless they had quarantined for 10 days prior, and tested negative.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I'm curious what policy or regulation was applied here. John states the homeland security guy said it was the US not allowing him and that yesterday he could have. I'm curious what exactly made the difference?

Not aware of any US Homeland Security pre-screening done in the UK for ships, so it would be a UK official to my knowledge.

6 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I'm curious what policy or regulation was applied here. John states the homeland security guy said it was the US not allowing him and that yesterday he could have. I'm curious what exactly made the difference?

I don't think anything changed, I think he thought he'd get in with the exemption and didn't

4 hours ago, balcony bound said:

I wonder if it is due to the type of vaccine he received.  I read this a few days ago "Hopes for a US UK travel corridor are dwindling as concerns are rising that UK citizens with an AstraZeneca vaccine may be barred from traveling to America. "

I sincerely hope that this is not true. DD is teaching in South Korea and has not become eligible for the vaccine yet - but said that it will probably be the AZ when she gets it. They don't have the Moderna or Pfizer there. They did not even start vaccinations in that country until several months after the rest of us. Teachers will be eligible before general population, but she says they are still at least 2 months out. I'm just hoping she doesn't have to get a vaccine manufactured in China.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kleibo said:

I don't think anything changed, I think he thought he'd get in with the exemption and didn't

Bingo.  If he is sailing as a passenger, then he is not traveling on his C-1/D visa, and should have an ESTA visa waiver, and his letter from Carnival has no bearing on his status.  The letter only applies for crew members.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I do feel sorry for JH. He is now experiencing exactly what CCL has done to the rest of us that have had to wait as long as possible for them to cancel. Maybe they can put a little be of compassion into their practices.

That is an absolute crock ... they were forced to cancel by the clowns

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I want to see this in print. I watched John in the video and he implied it was a U.S. official that denied him passage. He also stated it was new and just started today.

48 minutes ago, NightOne said:

That is an absolute crock ... they were forced to cancel by the clowns

I 100% beg to differ, in my case. CCL is starting up with sailing on July 3. Mardi Gras, was received in Port Canaveral on June 4. They decided the inaugural date would be July 31? If any of their ships would be ready to sail on July 3, it would have been this one. Instead, they waited until May 11th or 12th. The window on our alternate plans closed 3 days before CCL canceled our July 24 cruise. Prices on those 3 alternate vacations went up $1,000 - $2,000. By being 100% arbitrary and randomly selecting dates with no logic, they waited too long to cancel it and/or choose which day for the maiden voyage.

So yes, I have no sympathy for JH. As an Ambassador for CCL, he now personally knows what it feels like to get stiffed. Maybe this will provide a little more intelligence as to when they cancel cruises. They could have canceled in April giving people plenty of time to go their alternate routes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Not aware of any US Homeland Security pre-screening done in the UK for ships, so it would be a UK official to my knowledge.

It is not for ships, He was flying to Miami to later get on a ship. However sometimes US has agents at points that fly to the US. It very possibly was a US official.

1 hour ago, NightOne said:

I want to see this in print. I watched John in the video and he implied it was a U.S. official that denied him passage. He also stated it was new and just started today.

Yes, I would like to know as well, just for curiosity.John did show that the entire area where you check in for the US flights was empty because they told everyone they couldn't go.

• Like 2

Once again, he was not denied because he´s not an essential worker and no one questioned his paper work. The only reason he - and all other UK citizens - were not able to fly was a new regulation because of the Delta virus variant.

steamboats

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Why should he be treated any differently than anybody else coming from the UK..Does he have a Diplomatic passport? I think not...I really think a lot of people here on CC live in Fantasyland!!

He was treated like everybody else from the UK and he totally understood. But nevertheless he was looking forward to it and was deeply disappointed UK citizens couldn´t fly.

steamboats

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yes, turn away a vaccinated individual because of concerns surrounding the Delta variant. When we already have plenty enough of that circulating around to spread amongst ourselves. The risk from him, or others in situations similar to his, is basically zero - or close enough to zero as to make little difference.

Perhaps this stems from a lack of national, or in this case international, framework for proof of vaccinations.

Then tell that to the Brits.. From UK.GOV website.....

If you’re travelling to England, what you need to do depends on where you have been in the 10 days before you arrive. If you have been in a country or territory on the:

green list - you must take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test on or before day 2

amber list - you must quarantine in the place you’re staying and take 2 COVID-19 tests

US is in Amber....

25 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I 100% beg to differ, in my case. CCL is starting up with sailing on July 3. Mardi Gras, was received in Port Canaveral on June 4. They decided the inaugural date would be July 31? If any of their ships would be ready to sail on July 3, it would have been this one. Instead, they waited until May 11th or 12th. The window on our alternate plans closed 3 days before CCL canceled our July 24 cruise. Prices on those 3 alternate vacations went up $1,000 - $2,000. By being 100% arbitrary and randomly selecting dates with no logic, they waited too long to cancel it and/or choose which day for the maiden voyage.

So yes, I have no sympathy for JH. As an Ambassador for CCL, he now personally knows what it feels like to get stiffed. Maybe this will provide a little more intelligence as to when they cancel cruises. They could have canceled in April giving people plenty of time to go their alternate routes. 

I've had something like 17 cruises cancelled. Prices always vary by the month of the cruise. (higher in the Summer)

Also, the $600 OBC is going to be nice.

Quit your whining. LOL

8 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

It is not for ships, He was flying to Miami to later get on a ship. However sometimes US has agents at points that fly to the US. It very possibly was a US official.

The only country in Europe where CBP pre-clears passengers is Ireland.  And, while he was flying, he needed to show a visa, and if he was not a crew member, he could not use the C1-D visa.

5 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Then tell that to the Brits.. From UK.GOV website.....

If you’re travelling to England, what you need to do depends on where you have been in the 10 days before you arrive. If you have been in a country or territory on the:

green list - you must take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test on or before day 2

amber list - you must quarantine in the place you’re staying and take 2 COVID-19 tests

US is in Amber....

He was trying to travel FROM England where he lives.

I believe he said it was U.S. personnel that stopped them and not UK