Suite Differences and What is Club Orange?

I am new to HAL but have various cruise experience with NCL and 30 years on USN plus on TransPac on American President Line's President Cleveland. I am booked on Anniversary cruise on the Rotterdam in Oct 2022. I am booked in a Aft Vista Suite. I would like to know difference between and that Vista suite. Also, I wondered what is " Club Orange"?

'

Edited by Senior Sea Dog
add word and remove stray letters

As far as I know, Club Orange is only available on the Koningsdam and the Nieuw Statendam.  We have been staying in Neptune Suites which allows us to dine in the Club Orange private dining room for Suite passengers only.  There may be other perks but this is the one we like the most.

I would guess Aft Vista Suite means back of ship.

The difference between the two is location. The Aft Vista is an Aft view. The other Vista’s are midship. You can see both of them at halfacts dot com, but only the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam as there are not pictures yet of the Rotterdam. Club Orange will be available for purchase. I haven’t done CO so can’t tell you if it is worth it or not but there are those who like it on the Pinnacle Class ships. 

I have been itching to try an Aft View Vista and have one booked for our October cruise and am on a waitlist for our December cruise. Can’t wait!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Added space

Club Orange is available on all the ships, but only the Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam have a dedicated dining room for it.  On all the other ships, you just dine in the Main Dining Room (there is a separate line there for Club Orange guests though) and you get one extra entree a day.

There are other perks as well, such as VIP boarding, separate line at the front desk, free upgrades within your category and others.  I would refer to the HAL website for details.

Many comments on the CC board indicate that the cost of CLub Orange on the ships other than the ones I just mentioned is probably not worth the cost (judge for yourself), but on the 3 ships that have the separate dining area it could be worth it.  Do some research on this board and you will find many comments on C.O.

Edited by DaveOKC

We have booked Vista suites and Club Orange is not included. However it is sometimes an option at $25 per person per day if you want to add it to your booking pre-cruise. I think you will have a wonderful experience either way. 

I agree C.O. is most meaningful for a Pinnacle Class ship like Rotterdam with private dining room. Artist renderings of the Rotterdam show an upgraded, more plush decor planned versus the other 2 Pinnacle ships where C.O. was repurposed from the casual America’s Test Kitchen venue. (Maybe they will get a decorating upgrade in a future drydock.)

Only Neptune Suite passengers automatically receive Club Orange, and we enjoyed it on the Nieuw Statendam in 2019 for these reasons:

A small dining room works better for me since I have severe/profound hearing loss. I find the HAL waiters to be wonderful in all the dining venues but liked the extra-personal service by the maitre ‘d in C.O.  We had a very attentive wine steward, better than we have experienced in the main dining rooms in recent years. We enjoyed the complimentary mimosas at breakfast and the cooked-to-order hot breakfast entrees (from the on-site kitchen). Several times we had the Club Orange special at dinner, which the chef prepared there.

For those reasons and the priority boarding, we added C.O. to our next HAL cruise in a Vista Suite on the first Rotterdam US departure November 3. An easy decision at just $200 for both of us on a 4 day cruise.

But on our typical longer cruises and/or on a non Pinnacle ship, we probably wouldn’t add Club Orange. 

Edited by Caribbean Chris

My PCC checked and told me that CO on voyages 1-7 days was $50/p/p/day;  8-13 days was $25/p/p/day; 14+ days was $15/p/p/day.  YMMV

The extra entree was not so much, the kitchen tour was amazing, breakfast was quite special, and the CO bag was quite a step up from the regular HAL blue bag. 

Edited by Crew News

27 minutes ago, Senior Sea Dog said:

Thanks to all folks who took the time to answer my Questions. Now to make the difficult decision but with a $15.00 a day for my cruise of 15 days It makes things a lot easier.   SSD

I enjoyed the $15 rate on my last 14 day cruise but it is important to note several CO conditions that have not been mentioned on this thread. 

You can watch the chef cook your breakfast but the chef does not cook your dinner.  Food comes from the MDR kitchen and the dinner chef warms the dinner rolls, adds extra sauces/accompaniments, and makes minor adjustments to what the kitchen delivers. 

The dinner menu is the same as the MDR but with an added entree that is nothing spectacular. The breakfast menu includes mimosas.  You get the same Room Service Breakfast menu card as the Neptune Suites.  See attached menus.

You do not have a reserved table which means you may not be able to eat when you wish after 6:00 PM.  They do have a beeper system with my observed wait time of no more than 20 minutes.  There are community tables that you may wish to share with others.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/NS-A-MDR-Day-03-Gala-Night.pdf

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Club-Orange-Breakfast-1.pdf

https://rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Room-Service-Breakfast-PS-NP-CO-1.pdf

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

My PCC checked and told me that CO on voyages 1-7 days was $50/p/p/day;  8-13 days was $25/p/p/day; 14+ days was $15/p/p/day.  YMMV

The extra entree was not so much, the kitchen tour was amazing, breakfast was quite special, and the CO bag was quite a step up from the regular HAL blue bag. 

This is the price I paid when I recently added club orange to my booking of less than 14 days.  It’s not a pinnacle class ship.  I did it almost purely for the cabin upgrade.  Cheaper than the upgrade price.  I had to pay for it immediately even though I’m not at final payment.  I didn’t have to pay for it immediately the last time (I cancelled after final because of covid).  When I questioned my pcc about it she got quite snarky about she told me if she had to she would find the rule in writing 🙄.

55 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

.........  I had to pay for it immediately even though I’m not at final payment.  I didn’t have to pay for it immediately the last time (I cancelled after final because of covid).  When I questioned my pcc about it she got quite snarky about she told me if she had to she would find the rule in writing 🙄.

When dealing with HAL YMMV.  My CO for November was just added to the fare that I will pay the day  before final payment is due.

Edited by Crew News

On my last sailing I think I saw people in the Club Orange MDR line maybe once, it's just not really needed at the late seatings, maybe it makes a difference earlier in the day when the early diners are lined up all the way out into the Lincoln Center area.  

I don't know anything about suites on the larger ships, but it looks like others have helped you out.

10 hours ago, Crew News said:

When dealing with HAL YMMV.  My CO for November was just added to the fare that I will pay the day  before final payment is due.

And this is what bothers me.  Everyone should be the same, especially when you are dealing with PCC’s.

22 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

This is the price I paid when I recently added club orange to my booking of less than 14 days.  It’s not a pinnacle class ship.  I did it almost purely for the cabin upgrade.  Cheaper than the upgrade price.  I had to pay for it immediately even though I’m not at final payment.  I didn’t have to pay for it immediately the last time (I cancelled after final because of covid).  When I questioned my pcc about it she got quite snarky about she told me if she had to she would find the rule in writing 🙄.

10 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

And this is what bothers me.  Everyone should be the same, especially when you are dealing with PCC’s.

My CO was rolled into my November fare when I booked.  I wanted the stateroom upgrade within my category.  If you add CO later you probably would have to pay for CO at the time that you add it to your booking.

20 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

My CO was rolled into my November fare when I booked.  I wanted the stateroom upgrade within my category.  If you add CO later you probably would have to pay for CO at the time that you add it to your booking.

Maybe.  I don’t really see why it should make a difference though.  I just get tired of one rule for some, another rule for others but that is Hal’s specialty.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe.  I don’t really see why it should make a difference though.  I just get tired of one rule for some, another rule for others but that is Hal’s specialty.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

We hear ya.  So if we go back into the 50s and 60s there were several classes on ships and there were lots of differences in how different classes were treated.  Then we got into the 60s and things started to change to a single class of cruising.  Move the clock forward to the last few years and we started to see a return of the class system based on the category of cabin.  And now we get to the current era where some cruise lines (like HAL) are letting folks buy-in to more perks.  Although it is doubtful you would find me paying for CO or a Neptune Suite (we do have a Signature Suite on on next HAL cruise) I do not have any problem with folks paying for that stuff.  The reality is that our entire system is based on folks who pay the bigger bucks getting something for their money.  When I fly Business or First Class I expect to be treated a lot better then the folks back in Economy.  And why not?  I pay for it!  

We have looked at CO and see little benefit to us.  DW is not a breakfast person and has non interest in getting up earlier just so she can go to a special dining room to mostly get the same stuff she could get in the MDR or even the Lido.  An extra item on the dinner menu is not worth much to me.  If I pay for Aqua Class on Celebrity I get an entirely different dining room with its own menu,  chef, etc.  If I pay for the Yacht Club on MSC (an amazing experience) I get a private section of the ship with its own sun deck, pool, lounge, dining room, etc.   What do I get for Club Orange?  Keep in mind that we are 5* Mariners so already get some of the benefits giving to CO.  If on a Vista Class ship it is hard to get excited about CO dining.  For $15 a day we might be interested, but otherwise we see it as a big waste of money.  Consider that for less then $30 per person/day we could have all of our dinners in the Pinnacle or Canoletto.  Why would we even consider $50 per person/day for CO?

Hank

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We hear ya.  So if we go back into the 50s and 60s there were several classes on ships and there were lots of differences in how different classes were treated.  Then we got into the 60s and things started to change to a single class of cruising.  Move the clock forward to the last few years and we started to see a return of the class system based on the category of cabin.  And now we get to the current era where some cruise lines (like HAL) are letting folks buy-in to more perks.  Although it is doubtful you would find me paying for CO or a Neptune Suite (we do have a Signature Suite on on next HAL cruise) I do not have any problem with folks paying for that stuff.  The reality is that our entire system is based on folks who pay the bigger bucks getting something for their money.  When I fly Business or First Class I expect to be treated a lot better then the folks back in Economy.  And why not?  I pay for it!  

We have looked at CO and see little benefit to us.  DW is not a breakfast person and has non interest in getting up earlier just so she can go to a special dining room to mostly get the same stuff she could get in the MDR or even the Lido.  An extra item on the dinner menu is not worth much to me.  If I pay for Aqua Class on Celebrity I get an entirely different dining room with its own menu,  chef, etc.  If I pay for the Yacht Club on MSC (an amazing experience) I get a private section of the ship with its own sun deck, pool, lounge, dining room, etc.   What do I get for Club Orange?  Keep in mind that we are 5* Mariners so already get some of the benefits giving to CO.  If on a Vista Class ship it is hard to get excited about CO dining.  For $15 a day we might be interested, but otherwise we see it as a big waste of money.  Consider that for less then $30 per person/day we could have all of our dinners in the Pinnacle or Canoletto.  Why would we even consider $50 per person/day for CO?

Hank

First of all, I am also a 5 star.  I don’t mind paying for things.  I just don’t understand why some people need to pay right away, others don’t.  When I questioned it, my pcc got very snarky about it.  If this is going to continue I won’t be booking further cruises with her beyond what I have booked.  I also booked my club orange for the upgrade. You do understand that the areas on celebrity and the yacht club cost much more than club orange so let’s compare apples to apples please.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

22 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

First of all, I am also a 5 star.  I don’t mind paying for things.  I just don’t understand why some people need to pay right away, others don’t.  When I questioned it, my pcc got very snarky about it.  If this is going to continue I won’t be booking further cruises with her beyond what I have booked.  You do understand that the areas on celebrity and the yacht club cost much more than club orange so let’s compare apples to apples please.

You think?  We have cruised in MSC's YC (and loved every moment) for about $300 per person/day.  That included a YC Suite (more like a deluxe balcony cabin), free unlimited mini-bar, a premium drink package (good anywhere on the ship), a private section of the ship limited to YC folks (you need a key card to enter) which includes a restaurant, tips, pool/sun deck with buffet, an expansive lounge with a 270 degree bow view, 24 hour concierge service, and lots of other perks.  Now take a look at what it would cost on HAL to get a smaller suite (like a Signature Suite) with all those benefits (which you cannot get on HAL at any price).  Just booking the suite,  the higher-end drink package, and CO would likely cost you at least $300 per person/day and would still not get you anything close to the YC.  

As to Celebrity, I do think they have overpriced their suite life (we can and do cruise on Seabourn for less money).  But we have cruised on Celebrity in a balcony cabin which we supplemented with their premium drink package and a dine plan that let us have all our meals in their alternative restaurants.  We had most of our dinners in Murano which puts the Pinnacle to shame and our extra cost for access to the alternative restaurants was about $25 per person day.

We can see a reason to book Club Orange on the new larger ships where CO has their own restaurant, but it makes little sense to us on the other vessels.  Princess has done a similar thing (to CO) with a higher category of their Mini-Suites (Club Class) but at least that does include the best located Mini-Suites.  Princess actually had their program before HAL started CO.  

We understand that many long time HAL fans are very "loyal" to HAL and seldom consider other lines.  But in my world we are always comparing all the cruise lines (we have an upcoming cruise on our 17th cruise line) and enjoy looking at the various options on each line.  Bottom line for us is that CO makes very little sense except in cases where HAL sells it at a very low price-point.  As I pointed out in a previous post, we can dine in the Pinnacle, Tarimind, etc. at half price every night (we are not big fans of the Pinnacle so would not do this) and know some HAL fans who do follow this path.  So I have to ask myself, what do we get in CO that is worth more then $15 per person/day?  Other then breakfast in a different venue (we would seldom use that perk) we see nothing special about CO to justify the cost.

Hank

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

You think?  We have cruised in MSC's YC (and loved every moment) for about $300 per person/day.  That included a YC Suite (more like a deluxe balcony cabin), free unlimited mini-bar, a premium drink package (good anywhere on the ship), a private section of the ship limited to YC folks (you need a key card to enter) which includes a restaurant, tips, pool/sun deck with buffet, an expansive lounge with a 270 degree bow view, 24 hour concierge service, and lots of other perks.  Now take a look at what it would cost on HAL to get a smaller suite (like a Signature Suite) with all those benefits (which you cannot get on HAL at any price).  Just booking the suite,  the higher-end drink package, and CO would likely cost you at least $300 per person/day and would still not get you anything close to the YC.  

As to Celebrity, I do think they have overpriced their suite life (we can cruise on Seabourn for less money).  But we have cruised on Celebrity in a balcony cabin which we supplemented with their premium drink package and a dine plan that let us have all our meals in their alternative restaurants.  We had most of our dinners in Murano which puts the Pinnacle to shame and our extra cost for access to the alternative restaurants was about $25 per person day.

We can see a reason to book Club Orange on the new larger ships where CO has their own restaurant, but it makes little sense to us on the other vessels.  Princess has done a similar thing (to CO) with a higher category of their Mini-Suites but at least that does include the best located Mini-Suites.  Princess actually had their program before HAL started CO.  

We understand that many long time HAL fans are very "loyal" to HAL and seldom consider other lines.  But in my world we are always comparing all the cruise lines (we have an upcoming cruise on our 17th cruise line) and enjoy looking at the various options on each line.  Bottom line for us is that CO makes very little sense except in cases where HAL sells it at a very low price-point.  As I pointed out in a previous post, we can dine in the Pinnacle, Tarimind, etc. at half price every night (we are not big fans of the Pinnacle so would not do this) and know some HAL fans who do follow this path.  So I have to ask myself, what do we get in CO that is worth more then $15 per person/day?  Other then breakfast in a different venue (we would seldom use that perk) we see nothing special about CO to justify the cost.

Hank

Ok, once again I purchased club orange for the upgrade in room.  You seem to be glossing over that.  I have sailed several lines.  In fact I am elite on Princess.  I would imagine that the $300 per day for the yacht club is something you cherry picked for price, not the going rate.  Some of us on this board are still working so are not able to hop on any cruise at any time.  I’ve heard very little about msc that makes me want to cruise with them.

7 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Ok, once again I purchased club orange for the upgrade in room.  You seem to be glossing over that.  I have sailed several lines.  In fact I am elite on Princess.  I would imagine that the $300 per day for the yacht club is something you cherry picked for price, not the going rate.  Some of us on this board are still working so are not able to hop on any cruise at any time.  I’ve heard very little about msc that makes me want to cruise with them.

You would be wrong about the YC.  Until COVID, the normal price for booking a YC Suite was usually in that $300 per person/day range.  But since COVID, MSC has been pushing price increases and we now see the YC at around $360 per person/day.  Even at that price, the YC is a bargain compared to what is offered by much of the competition.  MSC is a very interesting (and innovative) cruise line that is not for everyone, but we have been very pleased on that line (we would only cruise MSC in the YC).  Speaking of MSC, their YC (ship within a ship) has been so popular that they are now building 4 new small luxury ships with the idea that the entire ship will be like the YC.   When we have cruised in the Yacht Club our onboard account after several weeks has usually been zero since it is truly all-inclusive.  On our last cruise on MSC Divina we had nearly $700 of non-refundable OBC which we failed to use by the last night (we do not take cruise line excursions).  Out of desperation I ran to the Casino, got nearly $700 of chips, and played Black Jack with the idea of losing the money (it was going to be lost anyway).  Must to my delight I doubled that $700 in about 10 minutes, cashed out (for real greenbacks) and laughed my way back to the cabin.  

While we are on the subject of the YC I will tell you what we liked when compared to HAL.  DW and I love live music and tend to be late night folks (we can actually make it after midnight).  On MSC, at 10:30pm, there will still be 3 or 4 venues with live music (country, jazz, rock, etc) and life!  Even in the Yacht Club's own lounge there is always evening entertainment (usually a classical duo) until about 11.   On many of our HAL cruises we have often found ourselves heading back to the cabin by 10:30 for lack of live options.  And you will never find MSC trying to pass off a BBC Documentary Movie as the main evening show.  MSC has a major production show every night with no show repeated on a 7 day cruise.   When we cruised on the Oosterdam across the Pacific the excellent singers/dancers only had 3 production shows in their repertoire...and that was on a 28 day cruise!

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

You would be wrong about the YC.  Until COVID, the normal price for booking a YC Suite was usually in that $300 per person/day range.  But since COVID, MSC has been pushing price increases and we now see the YC at around $360 per person/day.  Even at that price, the YC is a bargain compared to what is offered by much of the competition.  MSC is a very interesting (and innovative) cruise line that is not for everyone, but we have been very pleased on that line (we would only cruise MSC in the YC).  Speaking of MSC, their YC (ship within a ship) has been so popular that they are now building 4 new small luxury ships with the idea that the entire ship will be like the YC.   When we have cruised in the Yacht Club our onboard account after several weeks has usually been zero since it is truly all-inclusive.  On our last cruise on MSC Divina we had nearly $700 of non-refundable OBC which we failed to use by the last night (we do not take cruise line excursions).  Out of desperation I ran to the Casino, got nearly $700 of chips, and played Black Jack with the idea of losing the money (it was going to be lost anyway).  Must to my delight I doubled that $700 in about 10 minutes, cashed out (for real greenbacks) and laughed my way back to the cabin.  

While we are on the subject of the YC I will tell you what we liked when compared to HAL.  DW and I love live music and tend to be late night folks (we can actually make it after midnight).  On MSC, at 10:30pm, there will still be 3 or 4 venues with live music (country, jazz, rock, etc) and life!  Even in the Yacht Club's own lounge there is always evening entertainment (usually a classical duo) until about 11.   On many of our HAL cruises we have often found ourselves heading back to the cabin by 10:30 for lack of live options.  And you will never find MSC trying to pass off a BBC Documentary Movie as the main evening show.  MSC has a major production show every night with no show repeated on a 7 day cruise.   When we cruised on the Oosterdam across the Pacific the excellent singers/dancers only had 3 production shows in their repertoire...and that was on a 28 day cruise!

Hank

Have you ever been on the pinnacle ships?  I find the entertainment to be quite good especially the Rolling Stones rock room.  I’ve never liked the shows on hal.  They are much better on Princess or at least they used to be.  I’m not much of a night person that said.  I get up for work at between 3:45 and 4:15 am so I try not to get too much out of that mode on holidays.  I’m not a sleep all day or afternoon nap person so I don’t care to stay up until 2 or 3 am.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Have you ever been on the pinnacle ships?  I find the entertainment to be quite good especially the Rolling Stones rock room.  I’ve never liked the shows on hal.  They are much better on Princess or at least they used to be.  I’m not much of a night person that said.  I get up for work at between 3:45 and 4:15 am so I try not to get too much out of that mode on holidays.  I’m not a sleep all day or afternoon nap person so I don’t care to stay up until 2 or 3 am.

No, we have yet to cruise on the Pinnacle class and would hope to do it some time in the future.  Our next HAL cruise is on an old friend, the Noordam (for 42 days) but I suspect that cruise will be cancelled since it is primarily in Japan which may well stay closed for at least another year.  We have already had 2 cruises cancelled involving Japan so we are getting used to the related frustration.  We have actually done more days on HAL then Princess and can list pros and cons of both lines.   Our next 4 scheduled cruises are on Seabourn (2), Oceania and HAL.  Of those 4 we think HAL is the most likely to be cancelled with our Dec 2021 O cruise still a question mark.  The two Seabourn cruises (both in the next 3 months) are going to happen.

A great opportunity for me to express our frustration (shared by many) about all the COVID related cancelations.  So far we have had 5 cruises cancelled.  In more then 45 years of extensive cruising we had never had any cruise cancelled until COVID so this has been a tough adjustment.   Our only saving grace during the pandemic has been Mexico (where we live part of the year) which has remained open for travel throughout!   Even today, Mexico is one of the only countries where Americans can travel without any COVID related requirement/restriction.

Hank

33 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

No, we have yet to cruise on the Pinnacle class and would hope to do it some time in the future.  Our next HAL cruise is on an old friend, the Noordam (for 42 days) but I suspect that cruise will be cancelled since it is primarily in Japan which may well stay closed for at least another year.  We have already had 2 cruises cancelled involving Japan so we are getting used to the related frustration.  We have actually done more days on HAL then Princess and can list pros and cons of both lines.   Our next 4 scheduled cruises are on Seabourn (2), Oceania and HAL.  Of those 4 we think HAL is the most likely to be cancelled with our Dec 2021 O cruise still a question mark.  The two Seabourn cruises (both in the next 3 months) are going to happen.

A great opportunity for me to express our frustration (shared by many) about all the COVID related cancelations.  So far we have had 5 cruises cancelled.  In more then 45 years of extensive cruising we had never had any cruise cancelled until COVID so this has been a tough adjustment.   Our only saving grace during the pandemic has been Mexico (where we live part of the year) which has remained open for travel throughout!   Even today, Mexico is one of the only countries where Americans can travel without any COVID related requirement/restriction.

Hank

I have not had more than a couple days off in the last year and a half and have not left the large city I live in, in that time.  No Mexico, no nothing.  As I mentioned, I’m still working so I’m very, very tired.  I’m not going to take time off to clean the house.  That is not relaxing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I found this thread informative - THANKS.

I was looking at a couple of Pinnacle class ships and was wondering what Club Orange was. Now I know!

So, the CO dining area has the same menu as the MDR, but with one additional entrée choice? If that's correct, it's a little disappointing. 

We've enjoyed the suite dining options on NCL, Celebrity, and Royal (in roughly that order). 

What intrigued me with HAL was the varied ports and itineraries.

Tom

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I found this thread informative - THANKS.

I was looking at a couple of Pinnacle class ships and was wondering what Club Orange was. Now I know!

The no-charge steak and eggs ($15), lobster Benedict ($12.50), and Mimosas ($3.95) for breakfast in Club Orange are nice benefits.  The more extensive Room Service breakfast card (same as those in Neptune Suites) is another perk for Club Orange.  The small Club Orange dining room is far less hectic than the MDR and the dedicated breakfast chef contribute to the Club Orange experience for those on Pinnacle-class ships. 

• Like 1