Electric throw blanket? (aka "If Momma ain't happy . . . )

Machta

Hello again, everyone.  We are SO excited to be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam on July 31 to Alaska!  I've been checking the weather in Alaska, and it looks pretty wet and drizzly.  I'm one of those people that if I get cold and stay cold I'm utterly miserable, and apparently I have the character defect of spreading my misery around.  Recently for car camping I got an electric throw blanket that is WONDERFUL.  Well, so long as we have electricity.  Does anyone know HAL's policy on electric blankets?

Alaska is in a temperate rain forest which means the probability of rain on any day is very high.  Ketchikan averages more than 150 inches per year.  If you miss rain in Alaska, you are most fortunate.  Bring a small backpack with a poncho to be prepared.

Cruise lines do not permit heating devices.  They will bring you as many blankets as you wish.  Electrical outlets are very limited and not beside the bed in some rooms.  If you bring your electric blanket, it may be confiscated.

• Like 1

I might suggest that if you get that cold you might want to get the spa relaxation package. This includes the hot stone recliners.  They are absolutely wonderful. It also includes the sauna and the heated hydrotherapy pool.  They may also do a daily pass, but I’m not sure of the price.

• Like 3

7 day spa package for a couple is 299.00 the single price I think was 189.00 or 169.00 single. I just purchased for DH and myself I can’t live without the thallosotherapy pool and if we get cold and wet in Alaska in September that’s where I’ll be heading after all excursions     Worth every penny.  Linda

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

You could use a battery powered blanket.   Here is one.   

Cozee Battery Powered Heating Blanket with Surge Technology

Item #:

Price:
$349.99

Amazon has some for less than 1/2 the price - battery operated and/or usb charged Also shawls &  socks.

There are wonderful, new, lightweight thermal underwear.  They are not much bulkier than panty hose.   REI carries them year long.  Sam's Club carries them seasonally. You can also find them new on Ebay.   I am a hiker and have hiked Greenland, Alaska, Iceland, Norway and northern Canada to name a few and those trusty long johns have been great. For day time pantyhose are often overlooked as a warm layer and they are so easy to pack. 

1 hour ago, cruisegirl said:

This discussion is interesting because on my last cruise I fell down the stairs and the medical office loaned me a heating pad for the rest of the cruise. 

Heating devices provided by the cruise lines, whether heating pads or coffee makers are routinely taken out of service for inspection and testing by the electricians, which products brought by passengers are not.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Heating devices provided by the cruise lines, whether heating pads or coffee makers are routinely taken out of service for inspection and testing by the electricians, which products brought by passengers are not.

That is good to know. Thanks. 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:45 AM, SLC1954 said:

I might suggest that if you get that cold you might want to get the spa relaxation package. This includes the hot stone recliners.  They are absolutely wonderful. It also includes the sauna and the heated hydrotherapy pool.  They may also do a daily pass, but I’m not sure of the price.

This is the best advice and is what I do. I always buy the thermal suite pass. I spent a year on chemotherapy and my veins collapsed during treatment and my “thermostat “ has never been the same. I am always cold. We’ve sailed Alaska at least 6 times and I always get the pass and spend time warming up on the heated loungers or the hydro pool. With that all being said, I’ve never been so cold in Alaska that I’ve been uncomfortable. Another person mentions bringing long Johns and that is also excellent advice. The new ones are basically like leggings. You could always just use leggings as a layer too. 

Hmmm - I used to do long distance motorcycle riding up in the wilds of New England (before i moved to Texas several years ago) - in every season except winter. If we had a ride planned - we went - in any weather.  I still have my heated vest, long  underwear, & socks - normally hooked up to the bike power - but could also use one of those larger battery packs for walking around. Also have heated gloves - but those are way, way to heavy duty for walking abound. 

Now the question is - will they still fit after 2 years of my COVID stagnation - Possibly/probably not.

Update: It appears they have all shrunk - no doubt due to the Texas heat - what else could it possibly be ??

But they do also make a rechargeable Battery operated vest - My daughter got me one as a present so i could wear it in the office - it was actually quite nice - and quite comfortable.

• Haha 1

There is also soaking in the bathtub to warm up.  My first Alaska cruise was on Princess, and as the only available inside cabin for a B2B, I was assigned (gty) a handicapped cabin.  Much too much space for a solo, but when I came in cold, I loved sitting on the seat in the shower under the hot water...  EM

Edited by Essiesmom