The Daily for Sunday Jul 18, 2021

richwmn

Thought I might mention how and why I joined CC in January, 2009.  We had been cruising since we first took an Alaska cruise in 1996 on the old Noordam.  We had booked a 49 day cruise from Miami to San Francisco around South America on the Carnival Liberty.  Less than two weeks before the cruise my DD called and recommended that I check out the roll call on CC to learn more about the cruise.  I went to the site, finally got myself a CC name, and noticed the people were talking about getting a Brazil visa.  I didn't have one and my TA had said we didn't need one as we were just making port calls there.  I asked on the roll call if we needed one and the reply was that you won't get on the ship if you don't have one.  I called the TA and she apologized that she had passed on what she heard from Carnival.  Said that if I express mailed our passports to the Brazilian Embassy in Miami that she would take care of the extra charges.  We did that and got them back about three days before we flew to Miami.  When we checked aboard the ship, there were at least 100 passengers who had to stay overnight in Miami, get their visa, and then fly to the next port to join the ship.  I have been a happy member of Cruise Critic since that time.

• Like 23

3 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thought I might mention how and why I joined CC in January, 2009.  We had been cruising since we first took an Alaska cruise in 1996 on the old Noordam.  We had booked a 49 day cruise from Miami to San Francisco around South America on the Carnival Liberty.  Less than two weeks before the cruise my DD called and recommended that I check out the roll call on CC to learn more about the cruise.  I went to the site, finally got myself a CC name, and noticed the people were talking about getting a Brazil visa.  I didn't have one and my TA had said we didn't need one as we were just making port calls there.  I asked on the roll call if we needed one and the reply was that you won't get on the ship if you don't have one.  I called the TA and she apologized that she had passed on what she heard from Carnival.  Said that if I express mailed our passports to the Brazilian Embassy in Miami that she would take care of the extra charges.  We did that and got them back about three days before we flew to Miami.  When we checked aboard the ship, there were at least 100 passengers who had to stay overnight in Miami, get their visa, and then fly to the next port to join the ship.  I have been a happy member of Cruise Critic since that time.

Great story and resounds on how much roll calls and CC have helped a lot of people.  So glad it worked out for you 👍 and you stuck with CC 😄 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

This is really scary.  I almost hesitate to ask this but does he have a good deputy?  That would actually be a benefit to him, you, and the animals.

Roy

Yes, we can manage for the time being. Talked to his family this afternoon and he is a bit improved I will be at the shelter with the Assistant Director tomorrow. His staff is very good which is fortunate. Then we will have to see what the long term prognosis is. And I thought retirement would be boring.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

Great story and resounds on how much roll calls and CC have helped a lot of people.  So glad it worked out for you 👍 and you stuck with CC 😄 

I did not become an active member until 17 because I was originally a member of the now defunct *r**s*mat*s, I think we can say that since it's no longer around, although the domain name will take you to another travel site if you were to type it into a search bar. 

I've certainly known of Cruise Critics since maybe 04 or 05.  And I think I had an old login that I can't remember, but I was not active in the discussion forums anyway, I don't even think I had my own pc or laptop, and read the discussions at work, smartphones didn't exist yet. 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 7

Thanks to Rich for the Daily and to Roy for the lists, and to everyone who contributes to make this thread such a happy place.

Today Monday, we have had fog, sunshine and now high cloud, temperature 6 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Today seems to be the day for having issues with flying things - it appears there are honey bees trying to create something under our deck.  DH has seen them coming and going the past few days . . . what to do?  We certainly don't want to kill them!   I read that they don't like the smell of cinnamon so we made a run to the dollar store and got a whole bunch of pkgs and he geared up and scattered a bunch of it under the deck but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.    Help?

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Beekeeper here.  Call your local beekeeper supplier (honeybees, equip, etc) or call a local beekeeping club.  Most likely if someone is close enough, they will come and take them off.  If I were in your area, I would do it for you.  

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks to Rich for the Daily and to Roy for the lists, and to everyone who contributes to make this thread such a happy place.

Today Monday, we have had fog, sunshine and now high cloud, temperature 6 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Ugh on the 6 C.  It’s way too early to think about those temps for us.  

Looks like you are definitely in the throws of change of season. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

DD's new dinnerplate dahlia "Bodacious" has opened and is looking bodacious!  She said she will pick it tomorrow.

IMG_2396.thumb.jpg.ecf1c41e6e9c516c073c041af6a1a97b.jpg

Very pretty.  Love Bodacious. 👍 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Ugh on the 6 C.  It’s way too early to think about those temps for us.  

Looks like you are definitely in the throws of change of season. 

Winter is definetly here, some signs of spring in the neighbourhood, early Rhododendrons flowering, lots of snowdrops in a nearby garden.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, erewhon said:

Winter is definetly here, some signs of spring in the neighbourhood, early Rhododendrons flowering, lots of snowdrops in a nearby garden.

Great to hear of those signs of spring.  It will be here before you know it 🤞 

• Like 1