The Daily for Sunday Jul 18, 2021

richwmn

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s a cool and cloudy day here but still humid.  Some rain last night but no thunderstorms.

I will celebrate ice cream tonight.   Some years ago, Turkey Hill dairy used to have an all you can eat ice cream festival in downtown Lancaster, I think it was $ 10 per person and the fee went the county library association,Death by Chocolate was a favorite flavor. @Crazy For Catsdid you ever attend ?

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 20

16 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

Graham, I like your cap.....and I really enjoy your pictures of your part of the beautiful English countryside. Great memories of visits to the lake district. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you DFD1 I appreciate your kind sentiments.

We love visiting places and we especially like the Lake District which is only 100 miles from home.

The Northumberland coastline up to Edinburgh is particularly nice too.

We visited Bamburgh castle and nearby Seahouses several weeks ago.

Graham.

IMG_20200713_111219.jpg

IMG_20200713_115728.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

Will have to post today’s wine report on behalf of Cat, then read the thread after church. We have an early call time.

Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve

Another spectacularly rated wine – this one from Napa. All released vintages are superbly rated, so if you are a Cab fan – grab the most reasonably priced bottle you can find. Lots of online distributors with prices starting at $85 for the 2017 vintage.

Winemaker Notes
Rich, full-bodied and deeply rewarding, this vintage expression is one for the ages (and aging). Notes of crème de cassis, black and blue fruits and baking spices frame flavors of ripe plum, dark cherry and chocolate in a muscular yet exceedingly well balanced and elegant wine. A memorable, lingering finish continues to reveal multiple layers of complexity to be enjoyed over the next two decades.

Blend: 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit Verdot
JS99 James Suckling: Breathtaking. Exceptional integration of super ripe blackberries and the very finest oak. The tannins build up beautifully, forming wave upon wave as the wine flows across the palate. Then the wave breaks on your palate and shoots way out at the finish, so that you wonder where it will end and normal life begin again. Needs time to soften, but this is so, so good. Give it two or three years.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast: Dust and sage color this bold, powerful wine, which is layered and complex in its ripeness and structure. Weighty in oak and tannin, it shows an expanse of rich red fruit, from cassis to current, with seasonings of cocoa dust, espresso and cigar. Enjoy best after cellaring 2026–2031. Cellar Selection

WS93 Wine Spectator: Juicy and engaging, with lots of raspberry, blackberry and black currant fruit flavors pumping along, laced with licorice and fruitcake notes and backed by a lively, bramble-edged finish. Drink now through 2030.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Late today. Have several more welts show up and painful.  Not itching thank goodness.

I do not like Caviar, will have Ice Cream to celebrate the day and appreciate Women's Dive Day.  DD is certified, I only snorkel.  Have not been to Tanzania, looking forward to the photo's.  The meal sounds and looks good.  Thank you @dfish.  Thank you Roy and Rich for your daily posts.  Makes for an enjoyable read every morning.   Looking good Graham with your ice cream.  @kazulove your daily cartoons and meme's.  Laughter is the best medicine.  The quote is so true with many people, sadly.

Prayers and toasts to our lists. 

Stay safe, still social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Bloody Mary:

A Bloody Mary is a cocktail containing vodka, tomato juice, and other spices and flavorings including Worcestershire sauce, hot sauces, garlic, herbs, horseradish, celery, olives, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, lime juice and celery salt. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz(3 parts) Vodka, 1/2 oz(1 part) Lemon juice, MORE
Preparation: Add dashes of Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, salt and pepper into highball glass, then pour all ingredients into highball with ice cubes. Stir gently. Garnish with celery stalk and lemon wedge (optional).
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
Standard garnish: Celery stalk or dill pickle spear
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 9.56.17 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'll pass on the caviar  - @kazu you can have my share -  I do enjoy ice cream, and am too chicken to dive.  I'm pretty sure if I ever got down into the deep ocean, a shark would instinctively know I was there as his/her dinner. LOL

It was so nice yesterday getting together with another couple at an outdoor patio for dinner.  Tables were spaced well apart, the servers wore masks, and the food was delicious.  My steak was a wee bit chewy, but it was way better than I could have made (mine always turn into shoe leather), so I wasn't about to complain.  Just having someone else prepare, serve, and clean up after the meal was such a treat after so long.

Another smoky day here, and for some strange reason, the power went off in the middle of the night.  Normally one would sleep through it, but when the cpap suddenly shuts off, it quickly becomes apparent something is wrong.  It stayed off for a couple of hours, and somewhere around sunrise power was restored.  

I like today's menu suggestion, but will have to set it aside for another day.  There are chicken breasts thawing in the fridge that will see their way onto the barbecue - served with mango salsa and a potato salad will be what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Does anyone know if someone is planning on blogging the Nieuw Amsterdam test cruise and if there is a link?  

Haven’t heard of anyone saying they are doing that but, Lisa (LAFFNVEGAS) will be doing a LIVE thread on the first sailing - July 24th.

She will post the LIVE thread on the regular HAL board.  It should be very interesting.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I just noticed yesterday was my 15th anniversary of my "join" date here on Cruise Critic.  I forgot to celebrate!  I suppose I will have to raise a toast tonight instead.🥂

Dh phoned neighbor Damon to see how he was doing yesterday.  He said he was transferred to a smaller hospital about 10 miles away instead of Atlanta.  At least he's closer to family now.  He is going to start rehab soon (after having back surgery a week ago).  We assured him we're holding his mail and if any of his family would like to pick it up, just let us know.  We found out he has triplet daughters!  How many of us can say that?  Wow!

• Like 23

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just noticed yesterday was my 15th anniversary of my "join" date here on Cruise Critic.  I forgot to celebrate!  I suppose I will have to raise a toast tonight instead.🥂

Dh phoned neighbor Damon to see how he was doing yesterday.  He said he was transferred to a smaller hospital about 10 miles away instead of Atlanta.  At least he's closer to family now.  He is going to start rehab soon (after having back surgery a week ago).  We assured him we're holding his mail and if any of his family would like to pick it up, just let us know.  We found out he has triplet daughters!  How many of us can say that?  Wow!

Why wait until tonight? Have a Bloody Mary and celebrate the drink of the day!

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

👍Thank you Rich @richwmn for The Daily and to Roy @rafinmdfor both the Care and Celebration Lists.😊 We'll attend church in~person today...our former pastor will be the guest preacher. First time back and it's indoors so we are wondering about 😷? A lot of our counties in California are all recommending masking up inside. 

🍦I do like ice-cream but choose yogurt when out and about. Your 'Magnum' bar looked delicious @grapau27!😉

We haven't been to Tanzania yet~~looking forward to photos. 

When I hear Bloody Mary, I think of the bar in Bora Bora, lol! 🤔🙃😉

🙏Prayers to all in need and thanks to all who contribute to this site. Happy Sunday..86°later.

Katie

0_16266156699056949185486724655402.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday Rich.  Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.  Next Sunday the Nieuw Amsterdam should be heading to ALASKA.  Love Ice Cream but it does shoot the Blood sugar so I have to be careful.   Thanks for all you do for us . Have a great day. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Himself said:

Happy Sunday Rich.  Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.  Next Sunday the Nieuw Amsterdam should be heading to ALASKA.  Love Ice Cream but it does shoot the Blood sugar so I have to be careful.   Thanks for all you do for us . Have a great day. 

I hope people don't show up for Alaska next Sunday because I believe NA leaves Saturday.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

A very Happy Anniversary - despite being belated. 🙂 

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Have several more welts show up and painful.  Not itching thank goodness.

Oh no 😢. hope the pills help and they go down and disappear soon 🙏🏻 

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Late today. Have several more welts show up and painful.  Not itching thank goodness.

I do not like Caviar, will have Ice Cream to celebrate the day and appreciate Women's Dive Day.  DD is certified, I only snorkel.  Have not been to Tanzania, looking forward to the photo's.  The meal sounds and looks good.  Thank you @dfish.  Thank you Roy and Rich for your daily posts.  Makes for an enjoyable read every morning.   Looking good Graham with your ice cream.  @kazulove your daily cartoons and meme's.  Laughter is the best medicine.  The quote is so true with many people, sadly.

Prayers and toasts to our lists. 

Stay safe, still social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Bloody Mary:

A Bloody Mary is a cocktail containing vodka, tomato juice, and other spices and flavorings including Worcestershire sauce, hot sauces, garlic, herbs, horseradish, celery, olives, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, lime juice and celery salt. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz(3 parts) Vodka, 1/2 oz(1 part) Lemon juice, MORE
Preparation: Add dashes of Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco, salt and pepper into highball glass, then pour all ingredients into highball with ice cubes. Stir gently. Garnish with celery stalk and lemon wedge (optional).
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
Standard garnish: Celery stalk or dill pickle spear
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 9.56.17 AM.png

I had one once.  I did not like it.  No more Bloody Mary's for me.  On another note, I sure hope you get some relief from the shingles soon.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to woman divers.  I'll pass on the caviar but love ice cream.  Love the quote.  Surprised to see Nieuw Amsterdam at anchor; I thought she was supposed to start a test cruise today.  I visited Zanzibar on my Rovos Rail Epic Journey Dar es Salaam to Cape Town but have not cruised there.  The meal sounds interesting; I'll have to see what @dfish has to say about it.  My alternative is Chilled Mixed Berry Soup and Grilled French Pork Chop as served on MS Rotterdam July 18, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
summer slope with shingles
Lindaler close to wildfire
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV eye inflamation(Improving)

From the rotation:
Sharon’s mother recovering from surgery
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam embarking on test cruise
Congratulations 17 years (plus 10) CrazyForCats
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
kplady on Lake George
Family trip booked for HorizonChaser1957
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
Excellent report on Sam’s Recovery
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Occasional contributors like SuseiKIslandGirk
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Thanks for the Care and Shout Out lists  I like your meal alternative.  When does the Nieuw Amsterdam go out on the test cruise?. 

• Like 7

Good morning!

Happy Anniversary, @StLouisCruisers.

@summer slope, I hope things simmer down for you!

@dfish, that barbacoa recipe looks like a really good one.  I look forward to trying it -- something I've had at restaurants but have never tried to cook.

Thank you once again to all who contribute to the Daily.

Wishing everyone a safe and peaceful Sunday.

• Like 17

Good morning!  Resting my back again this morning.  Going to try and move around a bit this afternoon.  The sun's out today.  And I think we're going to be back up around 80.  I noticed the sun is setting before 900 now, the days are about 30 minutes shorter overall and that little bit DOES help.

-I didn't like caviar the one time I had it on a ship.

-Ice cream day YEAH!

-A Bloody Shame for me as a friend in London called it.

This is short for me because I'm using this darn phone so I will check in again later when I'm at the computer.

Have a great day!

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 20

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I'd like to thank everyone who wished us a happy anniversary yesterday it helped make the day feel special.  We went to Jalapeno's for dinner and the food was excellent.  The caramel plantains for dessert were a delight!  We are trying to pack this weekend for the Alaska cruise but the excitement isn't there for this trip.  I am feeling somewhat like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the football.  I'm fearing that something will happen to cancel again.  I do know that once we are on the ship all will be right with the world.  @1ANGELCATI did not attend one of the Turkey Hill events, I usually had to work.  Sadly we finished our last ice cream container last night, no more until we return home.

• Like 19