The Daily for Sunday Jul 18, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all my Dailyite family. Thanks Rich and all who add to my education each day. Roy, I am not in danger so you should save the prayers on the care list for those who are evaluated or have lost their homes or their wells have gone dry from our western state droughts. I love caviar and ice cream, but not together. I have not been to the port of the day but would love to see it some day. It’s a quiet day here so this afternoon I will celebrate all with a Bloody Mary. I have not heard of a bloody ceaser. Love to all my Dailyite family. 

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, lindaler said:

I have not heard of a bloody ceaser. Love to all my Dailyite family. 

A Caesar is made with Clamato juice.  The Clamato juice in Canada is different than that in the United States.

They are delicious!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have a question that I want to ask our "family".  I have done collectors cruises where you get off after the first segment, then reboard when the ship zero's.  I'm doing a B2B, with 2 different booking numbers.  How is that handled?  Do I have to go thru the  boarding process again?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Do you have a link to a webcam? I think my PCC said he was going on a test sailing. 

No I don't.  I was looking on cruisemapper for positioning.

Roy

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I have a question that I want to ask our "family".  I have done collectors cruises where you get off after the first segment, then reboard when the ship zero's.  I'm doing a B2B, with 2 different booking numbers.  How is that handled?  Do I have to go thru the  boarding process again?

It’s very similar to the collectors’ cruise.  The ship knows you are staying on and you will receive your in transit card and instructions for turn around day just like you did the on the Collectors.  If you don’t, go to the front desk but you should.  And no, you won’t need o go through check in again.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@summer slopeI think one difference is that if you go to a new star level on the first cruise you should be able to get new level benefits on the second one.

Roy

We had this happy circumstance on a long cruise.  Our PCC advised us to call Mariner Society before we embarked so they could put a note on our booking, as sometimes things fall through the cracks while at sea.  We stepped up to 4 star for the second half and were anxious to have the 4-star benefits.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@summer slopeI think one difference is that if you go to a new star level on the first cruise you should be able to get new level benefits on the second one.

Roy

Very true - as long as it is only the sea days needed to get to the next star even.  

As @AncientWandererhas pointed out, if that’s the case, it’s wise to contact the Mariner’s Society as they will often send you something in writing to have “in case” on board the ship.

• Like 10

Happy sunny Sunday! Thank you Rich for our Daily.

I will give all my caviar to Jacqui, and welcome all bloody Mary's y'all do not want.

Sandi Happy Anniversary!

We decided to look at cruises last night and booked the Rotterdam 21 Day SC Seafarer/Wayfarer on Dec 12th. We had several thousand cruise credits, and we won't be seeing my sister and girls for Christmas so figured why not. I read about the fully vaccinated requirement. Hope every little bit helps!

Will be putzing in the gardens this morning and a market run.. I FORGOT THE WINE!! 

Blessings,  Prayers and Cheers. 

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Morning all. Rains missed us yesterday although I noticed some heavy clouds over the High Country and I am sure that helps reduce the fire danger. Looks like it will be pretty dry the next few days with more rain moving in mid-week.... we can but hope.

I love ice cream, but have to restrict it to special occasions. I like caviar but don't go out of my way for it.

Got one piece of bad news this morning. When walking the Bandit at about 6, I ran into the Sister of our Shelter Director. He has been on leave for the past week - supposedly going fishing. She told me he was admitted to ICU last night and is on dialysis. He is diabetic and about a year ago he lost the lower portion of one leg. He has been looking bad (read awful) the last few weeks and we have been urging him to go to hospital.... but there is only so much you can do. We are all very worried. He is a wonderful person and a very good Animal shelter director.... He was supposed to come back to work tomorrow but obviously that will not happen. We hope to hear more this afternoon.

Susan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to woman divers.  I'll pass on the caviar but love ice cream.  Love the quote.  Surprised to see Nieuw Amsterdam at anchor; I thought she was supposed to start a test cruise today.  I visited Zanzibar on my Rovos Rail Epic Journey Dar es Salaam to Cape Town but have not cruised there.  The meal sounds interesting; I'll have to see what @dfish has to say about it.  My alternative is Chilled Mixed Berry Soup and Grilled French Pork Chop as served on MS Rotterdam July 18, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
summer slope with shingles
Lindaler close to wildfire
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV eye inflamation(Improving)

From the rotation:
Sharon’s mother recovering from surgery
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam embarking on test cruise
Congratulations 17 years (plus 10) CrazyForCats
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
kplady on Lake George
Family trip booked for HorizonChaser1957
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
Excellent report on Sam’s Recovery
Denise on her wilderness adventure
Occasional contributors like SuseiKIslandGirk
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Thanks for your daily posts. We did the same train but in the opposite direction. Unfortunately we did not go out to Zanzibar but toured extensively in Dar. My DH got his hair cut in a “hole in the wall” barbershop and said it was the best he had ever gotten, equivalent of $13 for haircut, shampoo, shave, facial!

5C5A7A93-7208-46D0-B9CC-8E06815B2DCF.jpeg

• Like 28

2 hours ago, kazu said:
2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Does anyone know if someone is planning on blogging the Nieuw Amsterdam test cruise and if there is a link?  

Haven’t heard of anyone saying they are doing that but, Lisa (LAFFNVEGAS) will be doing a LIVE thread on the first sailing - July 24th.

She will post the LIVE thread on the regular HAL board.  It should be very interesting.

Yes.  I knew about LAFFNVEGAS which will be great.  I am anxious and hope to hear from people on this test cruise who are leaving today.   I know that one person posted on a board saying she was going to be on the ship, but don't know now where that post it, or who it was.  

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Yes.  I knew about LAFFNVEGAS which will be great.  I am anxious and hope to hear from people on this test cruise who are leaving today.   I know that one person posted on a board saying she was going to be on the ship, but don't know now where that post it, or who it was.  

Someone mentioned that their Travel Agent was to be on the test cruise, but I don't remember anyone saying that they were.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just noticed yesterday was my 15th anniversary of my "join" date here on Cruise Critic.  I forgot to celebrate!  I suppose I will have to raise a toast tonight instead.🥂

Dh phoned neighbor Damon to see how he was doing yesterday.  He said he was transferred to a smaller hospital about 10 miles away instead of Atlanta.  At least he's closer to family now.  He is going to start rehab soon (after having back surgery a week ago).  We assured him we're holding his mail and if any of his family would like to pick it up, just let us know.  We found out he has triplet daughters!  How many of us can say that?  Wow!

Congratulations on your 15th year anniversary of joining cruise critic.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Morning all. Rains missed us yesterday although I noticed some heavy clouds over the High Country and I am sure that helps reduce the fire danger. Looks like it will be pretty dry the next few days with more rain moving in mid-week.... we can but hope.

I love ice cream, but have to restrict it to special occasions. I like caviar but don't go out of my way for it.

Got one piece of bad news this morning. When walking the Bandit at about 6, I ran into the Sister of our Shelter Director. He has been on leave for the past week - supposedly going fishing. She told me he was admitted to ICU last night and is on dialysis. He is diabetic and about a year ago he lost the lower portion of one leg. He has been looking bad (read awful) the last few weeks and we have been urging him to go to hospital.... but there is only so much you can do. We are all very worried. He is a wonderful person and a very good Animal shelter director.... He was supposed to come back to work tomorrow but obviously that will not happen. We hope to hear more this afternoon.

Susan

Sad news for someone who sounds like a wonderful person.

I wish him a speedy recovery and future good health 

Graham.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Congratulations on your 15th year anniversary of joining cruise critic.

Graham, I just looked again at the date and OMG!  It was June 17, 2006 not July 17!  I'm not just a day late, I'm a whole month late.  I apparently don't know one J month with another one.  Sorry if I've confused everyone.  I will still celebrate with a toast, but a very belated celebration for sure.😂

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Does anyone know if someone is planning on blogging the Nieuw Amsterdam test cruise and if there is a link?  

I remember someone saying that they were going on the test cruise but don’t remember who or when they posted. If I find it I’ll let you know. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, I just looked again at the date and OMG!  It was June 17, 2006 not July 17!  I'm not just a day late, I'm a whole month late.  I apparently don't know one J month with another one.  Sorry if I've confused everyone.  I will still celebrate with a toast, but a very belated celebration for sure.😂

You made me look, I'm 5 days past 16 years on CC. Whoda thunk it?

that puts it between my 5th and 6th cruises, both on Zuiderdam.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16