The Daily for Sunday Jul 18, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Time for you to drink a toast today, too.  Glad there's more than one person so engrossed in our CC experience we forget all else.

Could also be the Georgia Sunshine or the moon alternative

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I love ice cream and vanilla is my favorite. I also love caviar. I’m saving your recipe @AncientWanderer. I don’t have it very often though. I also love Bloody Mary’s and usually save them for vacations.  This is one I enjoyed at Bouchon at the Venetian in April:F90EA41F-523A-4284-BC56-D7FA43F4417A.thumb.jpeg.659230cfd7e08a8f405ad7f2158bab88.jpeg

I woke up to thunder and rain this morning. Monsoon storms usually happen in the afternoon and evening so a morning storm is unusual. And now the pool will be too cold to swim today. 

The meal suggestion sounds good. Also today’s port is interesting. Looking forward to seeing pictures. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17

Good morning, all, and thank you for all the information.  Prayers and cheers going out to all.  Pat has gone to church, and I have stayed home.  We are still allowed to attend Mass virtually, and I think I will prefer that for a while.  

Ill be like Jacqui and take the fish eggs over the vegetable juice!   When we lived in Nairobi, Pat sometimes worked in Tanzania, I’m not sure if he ever went to Zanzibar, I’ll check when he gets home.  If he did , he probably took slides, which won’t do much good here!  

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You made me look, I'm 5 days past 16 years on CC. Whoda thunk it?

that puts it between my 5th and 6th cruises, both on Zuiderdam.

I had to look too. 😉

I joined 21 years ago, wow, where did the time go?  You wouldn’t know it by the number of posts I have though.  I was the HAL board moderator on AOL and someone recommended that I check out CC when AOL shut down all of their message boards.  I used to only read when I had a cruise scheduled until I found the Daily and this special family. 

• Like 17

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, I just looked again at the date and OMG!  It was June 17, 2006 not July 17!  I'm not just a day late, I'm a whole month late.  I apparently don't know one J month with another one.  Sorry if I've confused everyone.  I will still celebrate with a toast, but a very belated celebration for sure.😂

Everyone is so nice on here and I'm sure everyone is happy for you whether it's June or July it is a remarkable achievement.🍾🍷🥂

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I had to look too. 😉

I joined 21 years ago, wow, where did the time go?  You wouldn’t know it by the number of posts I have though.  I was the HAL board moderator on AOL and someone recommended that I check out CC when AOL shut down all of their message boards.  I used to only read when I had a cruise scheduled until I found the Daily and this special family. 

21 years is super amazing.

Many congratulations.

Graham.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We decided to look at cruises last night and booked the Rotterdam 21 Day SC Seafarer/Wayfarer on Dec 12th. We had several thousand cruise credits, and we won't be seeing my sister and girls for Christmas so figured why not. I read about the fully vaccinated requirement. Hope every little bit helps!

We will be on the 11 day portion of this cruise starting on December 22. And @lindaler will be on also but for even longer. It will be nice meeting face to face!

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You made me look, I'm 5 days past 16 years on CC. Whoda thunk it?

that puts it between my 5th and 6th cruises, both on Zuiderdam.

Had to look!  We’re almost twins!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

Roy, I am not in danger so you should save the prayers on the care list for those who are evaluated or have lost their homes or their wells have gone dry from our western state droughts. 

Glad you are safe from the fires, and hope it stays that way.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

A Caesar is made with Clamato juice.  The Clamato juice in Canada is different than that in the United States.

They are delicious!

DH was introduced to the Caesar by a friend on the Prinsendam.  The last time we were in Canada we stocked up on Clamato.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Got one piece of bad news this morning. When walking the Bandit at about 6, I ran into the Sister of our Shelter Director. He has been on leave for the past week - supposedly going fishing. She told me he was admitted to ICU last night and is on dialysis. He is diabetic and about a year ago he lost the lower portion of one leg. He has been looking bad (read awful) the last few weeks and we have been urging him to go to hospital.... but there is only so much you can do. We are all very worried. He is a wonderful person and a very good Animal shelter director.... He was supposed to come back to work tomorrow but obviously that will not happen. We hope to hear more this afternoon.

Susan

Sorry for the bad news.  Hope he gets better soon.

37 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, I just looked again at the date and OMG!  It was June 17, 2006 not July 17!  I'm not just a day late, I'm a whole month late.  I apparently don't know one J month with another one.  Sorry if I've confused everyone.  I will still celebrate with a toast, but a very belated celebration for sure.😂

I had to look up the date when we joined.  Our official date is August 24, 2008.  However, we first joined in August 2002, but never posted.  In 2008, when we wanted to join a roll call, we could not remember our CC name or password, so DH signed us up again.  

Like @Sharon in AZ I only posted occasionally on the threads when I thought I could contribute to the thread.  That changed when I found the Daily.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad the ice cream outing went well.  A change of scenery was probably good for both you and Sam.

@summer slope. Sorry there are more welts, and that they hurt..  Hope you are over the shingles soon..

I like today's quote, and it's likely truer than we know.🤣

I mentioned earlier, we'd had today's wine and liked it.  We bought a few bottles at the winery in 1997, and did not pay nearly that much for it.  Would drink it again if someone would give us a bottle.  😀

Lenda

• Like 17

Good day and thanks,  especially to my ersatz twin Rich!  

ice cream again, how lucky,  I’ll take a Bloody Caesar  too!  Or a glass of that wine! 
@dfish that beef looks interesting!  

I prefer snorkelling, like to be on top of the water but DH dives, as have both DD and DS.   

DC77E5C9-0D41-46F0-9447-387BADF9660B.thumb.jpeg.be94efd8ba0e35899fce56d0fe879f58.jpeg

1F24D4F1-C9E3-418F-8FF4-78CF1F3713D9.jpeg

• Like 21

41 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks,  especially to my ersatz twin Rich!  

ice cream again, how lucky,  I’ll take a Bloody Caesar  too!  Or a glass of that wine! 
@dfish that beef looks interesting!  

I prefer snorkelling, like to be on top of the water but DH dives, as have both DD and DS.   

DC77E5C9-0D41-46F0-9447-387BADF9660B.thumb.jpeg.be94efd8ba0e35899fce56d0fe879f58.jpeg

1F24D4F1-C9E3-418F-8FF4-78CF1F3713D9.jpeg

What a truly beautiful picture!❤️

• Like 9

I need advice.  I think the yellow jackets are trying to build a nest under the concrete, there's been a lot of them in the area (the hummingbird feeder is above it) and it looks like they are crawling around some type of opening.  

Should I call maintenance or spray myself after dark?  I really don't like the idea of the do it yourself method when it comes to bees. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I need advice.  I think the yellow jackets are trying to build a nest under the concrete, there's been a lot of them in the area (the hummingbird feeder is above it) and it looks like they are crawling around some type of opening.  

Should I call maintenance or spray myself after dark?  I really don't like the idea of the do it yourself method when it comes to bees. 

Spray at dark and put a rock over the opening.  I've been stung many times cutting grass because those live in the ground.  Ouch.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I remember someone saying that they were going on the test cruise but don’t remember who or when they posted. If I find it I’ll let you know. 

@AKJonesyI think this is the post I remembered reading:

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Added poster name
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Spray at dark and put a rock over the opening.  I've been stung many times cutting grass because those live in the ground.  Ouch.

I don't know if I can handle the rock part, but I have the spray, will wait until it's completely dark. 

Sigh, every time I get one issue solved, something else presents itself.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I woke up to thunder and rain this morning. Monsoon storms usually happen in the afternoon and evening so a morning storm is unusual. And now the pool will be too cold to swim today. 

We have another warm, semi-humid, but pleasant day here in SoCal. Still am groggy from being out late last night at the (outdoor) concert. It was really comfortable last night after the sun got low and went down. Plan to take my bike up the hill after lunch.

We’re going to celebrate Ice Cream Day tonight with some passion fruit gelato. This batch came out quite tasty: it’s got a full cup of PF pulp/ juice and 1/4 limoncello.😉 Adding a few pieces of kiwi and some fresh blueberries to garnish. 

Sharon: how long does the typical monsoon season run? I’m considering joining a MTB group to ride the North Rim Grand Canyon, either August/ September or late spring next year. 

• Like 12

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm all for ice cream day! Never had caviar (and probably never will). I've never been diving either, except in a pool as a kid.

Interesting quote.

I like the meal. Bloody Mary is just ok for me. I do like the wine.

I haven't been to today's port. 

I'm late today. I'm trying to get stuff done before Tuesday. Laundry is done. I sealed the backsplash tile grout. Then sanitized all the counters and moved stuff back in. I need to mow the grass today or tomorrow. It's quite humid today. I will wait until the sun is lower, as it bothers my eyes even with sunglasses. I am trying very hard to not aggravate my eye in any way. Tomorrow will be a run to the pharmacy and grocery store. And I must remember to put my pre-op drops in my eye tomorrow!

@summer slope Sorry you have more lesions. I never had itching, put the stabbing pain was bad.

@StLouisCruisers Happy CC Anniversary last month, lol!

@atexsix I hope your back is improving

@durangoscots Prayers for your Shelter Director. Diabetes is a disease one needs to stay on top of.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone. Wear your mask if needed. Stay cool!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17

10 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Sharon: how long does the typical monsoon season run? I’m considering joining a MTB group to ride the North Rim Grand Canyon, either August/ September or late spring next year. 

Usually late June/early July until August but sometimes it can be September.  There is an official monsoon season that the weather people like to quote, June 15-Sept 30.  🙃  But you know how they are!

I wouldn't worry too much about the North Rim, though, it's far enough north that monsoon shouldn't matter too much.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have just a couple of additional photos of Zanzibar.   The first is from a group lunch.  My late brother is on the far left facing the camera:

IMG_1072.JPG.7e8b4e060b598dfd20d0b6bb1b7ac306.JPG

There is a nice  beach"

IMG_1073.JPG.502bfac4735d5f5d2cab24650b7229ea.JPG

The cathedral (Anglican) is lovely inside:

IMG_0521.thumb.JPG.5c7fd91399e5053bc743c7af47f64ff4.JPG

Roy

• Like 23

17 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I love that breadstick! It would also be quite easy to do - just make cuts and roll alternate sections in opposite directions. Then break each crusty little bit off to dip and munch. 

I know!  Bouchon has the best bread.  Vanessa, @JazzyVis quite the bread person, maybe she knows how to cut it.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

Agree. Wait til dark and use the hornet spray and cover it.

DH and I have done a few nests and not been stung yet (hope I didn’t jinx us).  The sooner you do it, the faster you solve the problem.

I hate yellow jackets.  They are mean.

• Like 11