What is your Style of Cream Cheese for your Breakfast needs........

BklynBoy8

I know in the Breakfast topic we talk about cream cheese for our mostly Breakfast needs.

I just saw a TV commercial about cream cheese and thought what style cream cheese do cruisers on land or sea like.

I know that cream cheese is used for toast, bagels, bagel w lox or smoked salmon to name a few uses. There is also solid or whipped like Philly's CC.

There is also favored cream cheese that deli's or private vendor have created like scallion, salmon, vegetable to name a few...

What Do You Like! Solid or Whipped?

Or Do You Also Like a Particular Flavored CC?

I personally prefer Whipped for Lox or Smoke Salmon.

Flavor locally made, I like Vegetable, Scallion, Cinn Raisin.

Sometimes I use CC for making Fruit/CC turnovers. A little in the puff pastry w a fruit jelly or puree. YUM!

On 7/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

whipped like Philly's CC.

I am not a fan of cream cheese, but if I am eating a bagel, a smear of Philly would be OK. (And not fond of bagels either; I had a friend who called them "stale donuts".  I don't think they are that bad.)  Certainly with smoked salmon, some cream cheese would be good.

I sometimes bu pastries that have a "cheese" component, such as Cherry Cheese Danish.  I have never determined what type of "cheese" is used.  Could it be a cream cheese?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am not a fan of cream cheese, but if I am eating a bagel, a smear of Philly would be OK. (And not fond of bagels either; I had a friend who called them "stale donuts".  I don't think they are that bad.)  Certainly with smoked salmon, some cream cheese would be good.

I sometimes bu pastries that have a "cheese" component, such as Cherry Cheese Danish.  I have never determined what type of "cheese" is used.  Could it be a cream cheese?  

No one know bagels better than New Yorkers. Done properly they are like feathers. Not bread like and not cake like. But like a Bagel. New Yorkers are lucky to have about 8 styles Plain, Onion, Egg, Garlic, Everything, Cinn Raisin, Rye, Pumpernickel to name the most common. Made right, they are like eating potato chips.

Cheese Danish do use a cheese like also our local bakery also make a Cheese ring (about 10"). I have ask my bakery friend get back to this question.

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

No one know bagels better than New Yorkers. Done properly they are like feathers. Not bread like and not cake like. But like a Bagel. New Yorkers are lucky to have about 8 styles Plain, Onion, Egg, Garlic, Everything, Cinn Raisin, Rye, Pumpernickel to name the most common. Made right, they are like eating potato chips.

Cheese Danish do use a cheese like also our local bakery also make a Cheese ring (about 10"). I have ask my bakery friend get back to this question.

Nothing better than a well made bagel.  They can be found in NY, Boston, Portland and Montreal.  Give me an everything with smoked salmon, whipped cream cheese and sliced onion.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Nothing better than a well made bagel.  They can be found in NY, Boston, Portland and Montreal.  Give me an everything with smoked salmon, whipped cream cheese and sliced onion.

Make that for Two (2) with a Proper Cup of Coffee.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:36 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I am interested in what you learn.  

On 7/21/2021 at 12:36 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Most cheese fillings for danish and coffeecakes nowadays are made with a cream cheese type filling (and in most in-store bakeries, it is a premade product that comes from a bakery supplier).

But the old-fashioned bakeries often used something called baker's cheese, which is similar to farmer's cheese. It is a fresh, soft, uncurded cheese with a light tang. Where I worked many years ago, we made the filling by adding sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla to baker's cheese. It was also used in many old-fashioned cheesecake recipes. 

• Like 1

I love creamed cheese🙂...and lox and bagels...........yummy!

Hi CGT.......and BB and RKA..........hope all of you are doing well. I was on a cruise to the Greek Islands and have been home a week........this land thing? Give me the water any day.  I didn't realize how much I missed cruising until I got back from this cruise. I have been home since last Sunday.......and this week I stepped out of that land box and booked another cruise. Going to Alaska next month🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

I love creamed cheese🙂...and lox and bagels...........yummy!

Hi CGT.......and BB and RKA..........hope all of you are doing well. I was on a cruise to the Greek Islands and have been home a week........this land thing? Give me the water any day.  I didn't realize how much I missed cruising until I got back from this cruise. I have been home since last Sunday.......and this week I stepped out of that land box and booked another cruise. Going to Alaska next month🙂

Hi Lois, i am doing very well since my triple bypass four weeks ago.  I followed your cruise on Silversea…good reading…wished I was there.  They say the quickest way to get over cruise withdrawal is to book another cruise…lol.

So who is cruising next??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Lois, i am doing very well since my triple bypass four weeks ago.  I followed your cruise on Silversea…good reading…wished I was there.  They say the quickest way to get over cruise withdrawal is to book another cruise…lol.

So who is cruising next??

Glad you are doing well🙂 well, my cruise is August 19th👍

On 7/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, rkacruiser said:

Rka.........

Found the answer from my baker friend.

What is Baker's cheese?
Basically cottage cheese with some of the moisture drained off. Bakers' cheese has a texture similar to that of fresh ricotta, but with a slightly tangier flavor. It typically isn't available to consumers—most of it is sold for commercial preparations such as blintzes, cheesecakes, pastries and pies.

There is the answer...
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, BklynBoy8 said:
What is Baker's cheese?
Basically cottage cheese with some of the moisture drained off. Bakers' cheese has a texture similar to that of fresh ricotta, but with a slightly tangier flavor. 

Now, this is interesting to learn because I don't like cottage cheese.  But, I do like the cheese that the bakeries use in their cheese danish type pastries.  More proof to me that my tastes have changed over the years.  Thanks for the information!

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

They say the quickest way to get over cruise withdrawal is to book another cruise…lol.

😁       Or, have another one booked before one disembarks your most recent one! 

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Now, this is interesting to learn because I don't like cottage cheese.  But, I do like the cheese that the bakeries use in their cheese danish type pastries.  More proof to me that my tastes have changed over the years.  Thanks for the information!

We like both a cheese danish or cheese ring. Sometimes we rewarm it a bit to warm the cheese.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Rka.........

Found the answer from my baker friend.

What is Baker's cheese?
Basically cottage cheese with some of the moisture drained off. Bakers' cheese has a texture similar to that of fresh ricotta, but with a slightly tangier flavor. It typically isn't available to consumers—most of it is sold for commercial preparations such as blintzes, cheesecakes, pastries and pies.

There is the answer...

On 8/4/2021 at 7:25 PM, rkacruiser said:

As I had mentioned above, baker's cheese is not curded and not grainy like most ricotta is. It is very smooth and can have a dry, almost chalky texture. It's nothing like cottage cheese and can be somewhat tricky to work with when making a cheese filling for pastries. I find it to be superior to using cream cheese as a filling for danish pastries, though.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:18 PM, CntPAcruiser said:

As I had mentioned above, baker's cheese is not curded and not grainy like most ricotta is. It is very smooth and can have a dry, almost chalky texture. It's nothing like cottage cheese and can be somewhat tricky to work with when making a cheese filling for pastries. I find it to be superior to using cream cheese as a filling for danish pastries, though.

Thanks for your reply.  I do enjoy such a cheese filling for danish pastries.  

On 8/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your reply.  I do enjoy such a cheese filling for danish pastries.  

Watched the baker make it and it was interesting. Baker Cheese is interesting and the results were tasty. Creamy when warm. We'll warm the cheese ring before handed then place the Confectioner Sugar Icing after ward.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese with my smoked salmon. And I don't get a bagel either. I like it on rye toast with sliced avocado. But on Princess they already have the smoked salmon plated with the little balls of cream cheese, capers, onions, and tomato, and occasionally I'll spread a little bit on the toast before topping it with the salmon and avocado. 

13 hours ago, geoherb said:

I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese with my smoked salmon. And I don't get a bagel either. I like it on rye toast with sliced avocado. But on Princess they already have the smoked salmon plated with the little balls of cream cheese, capers, onions, and tomato, and occasionally I'll spread a little bit on the toast before topping it with the salmon and avocado. 

Good morning, you said you don't get it when it comes to the bagel........in that case I can explain......

You either "get it or you don't".  I have been raised on them since I was old enough to eat LOL......part of my upbringing😀.  LOVE them and am sad that they have so many carbs in them I rarely eat them anymore😟.........as for the cream cheese----LOVE it too.......bagels, lox (smoked salmon) and cream cheese have always been part of my life.