RCCL just announced a new policy - basically ALL Canadians will be considered unvaccinated even after 2 shots!!!!

Russ Lomas

38 minutes ago, bob&france said:

My conversation with Royal ´confirmed ´ my thoughts… for double vaccinated guests with the same provider (  and from the approved list )

there is no mention of timeline between the doses. The only place timeline restrictions are mentioned is for mixed doses. It seems like the original poster chose to neglect the first paragraph ?

just my 2 cents..

Missed seeing your post. . That’s great news if this is the case. The first paragraph gave some referrals to CDC and WHO guidelines re vaccination interval, and when I went to those websites they also give the 21-42 day guideline, which concerned me. I really can’t see them counting the days between intervals if you show the proof of receiving both doses of the same vaccine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

hat Americans reading these threads in particular likely do not appreciate is all the extra expense we Canadian cruisers take on.... flying is significantly more expensive for us as we do not have a competitive market and the exchange rate hasn't been favourable in some time. These ancillary considerations do factor into our cruise vacation overall. 

Edited 7 minutes ago by JillK

Extra expense?

Our experience in buying flights to Europe, Asia, and even SA over the last few years is that airfares from Canada are as low and in some instances lower than those from the US-adjusted for currency.

Certainly our domstic fares are higher, but once we start shopping prices to international destinations  we have found the fares competitive, adjusted for currency.

There have been times when we have paid almost the same fare to fly to Bangkok or London/Rome from western Canada as we would  have paid to fly to Toronto!  

I'm glad that you have had a good experience with flight costs. 

In speaking about the costs of flights I was primarily taking about flying to/from Florida cruise ports.

Once time we were due to cruise with our sons out of New Orleans, but the price of flights for four from Toronto was coming up to $3900 cdn. For about $1800 more than we had paid for the 7 day out of New Orleans, we were able to book a 12 night out of NYC and drive to port!

In fairness I should also note that for the most part, we are a family of 6 travelling together. For us all the air costs add up very quickly. 

3 hours ago, iancal said:

hat Americans reading these threads in particular likely do not appreciate is all the extra expense we Canadian cruisers take on.... flying is significantly more expensive for us as we do not have a competitive market and the exchange rate hasn't been favourable in some time. These ancillary considerations do factor into our cruise vacation overall. 

Edited 7 minutes ago by JillK

Extra expense?

Our experience in buying flights to Europe, Asia, and even SA over the last few years is that airfares from Canada are as low and in some instances lower than those from the US-adjusted for currency.

Certainly our domstic fares are higher, but once we start shopping prices to international destinations  we have found the fares competitive, adjusted for currency.

There have been times when we have paid almost the same fare to fly to Bangkok or London/Rome from western Canada as we would  have paid to fly to Toronto!  

We actually drive over to Canada when flying to Europe since it's historically been around half the price of flying from Detroit. But I understand that for travel to the US, many Canadians do the opposite and drive to the US to turn their international trip into a domestic flight also for cost reasons. 

13 minutes ago, D C said:

We actually drive over to Canada when flying to Europe since it's historically been around half the price of flying from Detroit. But I understand that for travel to the US, many Canadians do the opposite and drive to the US to turn their international trip into a domestic flight also for cost reasons. 

Possibly lower because your dollar goes much further when buying Cdn.

14 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Possibly lower because your dollar goes much further when buying Cdn.

We typically  do two international trips a year. Europe (Sept/Oct) and Bangkok (Jan-March).  We price US and Canadian fares.

Adjusted for currency, it has been less expensive to fly from Calgary-Bangkok than it has been to fly from Seattle-Bangkok. Even when we are changing planes in Seattle-same airline.

We have found the same for Vancouver-London, and Toronto-London/Paris.  

Not certain why this is.  Sometimes less by a fair amount.  No idea why this is so.  

41 minutes ago, JillK said:

I'm glad that you have had a good experience with flight costs. 

In speaking about the costs of flights I was primarily taking about flying to/from Florida cruise ports.

Once time we were due to cruise with our sons out of New Orleans, but the price of flights for four from Toronto was coming up to $3900 cdn. For about $1800 more than we had paid for the 7 day out of New Orleans, we were able to book a 12 night out of NYC and drive to port!

In fairness I should also note that for the most part, we are a family of 6 travelling together. For us all the air costs add up very quickly. 

Our friends in Toronto often drive across the border for US flights.  We sometimes flew out of SEA for US flights when we lived in Vancouver.   Or Bellingham.  The price advantage got smaller over the years.  Have not priced it lately.

1 hour ago, iancal said:

We typically  do two international trips a year. Europe (Sept/Oct) and Bangkok (Jan-March).  We price US and Canadian fares.

Adjusted for currency, it has been less expensive to fly from Calgary-Bangkok than it has been to fly from Seattle-Bangkok. Even when we are changing planes in Seattle-same airline.

We have found the same for Vancouver-London, and Toronto-London/Paris.  

Not certain why this is.  Sometimes less by a fair amount.  No idea why this is so.  

That’s awesome! Once the kids are older, I hope hubby and I can get overseas many times so it’s good to know it’s affordable to get there.

1 hour ago, JillK said:

That’s awesome! Once the kids are older, I hope hubby and I can get overseas many times so it’s good to know it’s affordable to get there.

We used to go to Florida prior to retiring.  Cruises,, etc.

SInce retiring 9 winters ago we have only been once.  And that was because we did a last minute TA from Europe.  Florida has lost a great deal of it's appeal to us.   More so with recent events and political machinations.

It is a fine state, it is just that we have found other snowbird areas more enjoyable and varied for our tastes.   Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia.   The only issue for Oz and SE Asia is the flight times but we go for several months so we grin and bear it.

Over five years our air return fare from Calgary has been anywhere from  $750-1025 Cad.    If we were willing to book today for a mid Jan departure the current AC fare is $760. return.  FLL/MIA would be $460-585 return.

We can never understand why the fare difference is so little between these destinations.   Lots of competition on both routes.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, DHLuCruise said:
This is an update for people who took same doses. It's still conflicting info all over the place but it's a start.

I saw that and it gave me some hope.  Unfortunately those hopes were crushed today by RCCL.  I will post below where things are at.

I posted this in the main RCCL group but wanted to post it here as well to update my fellow Canadians who may miss it in the other group.

To update everyone on how this stands currently.  I am awaiting word back personally from RCCL regarding the topic in this thread that I started.  My email to them was acknowledged on Monday that it had been received and is being investigated, but they have not called me back yet or emailed me again.

That said, I can confirm another Canadian traveler who I know has been told that he is considered unvaccinated for his cruise this week and he had 2 doses of Pfizer and he missed the 42-day cutoff date by a few days.  This is just not right.

We are hearing all this data saying that delaying the 2nd shot gives you more protection, but we moved our kids' 2nd doses up so that we could go on this cruise.  The kids got their 2nd shots at 45 days and they are considered unvaccinated.  The frustration, anger, and tears that will come out of this and the way it is being handled is agonizing.  I can't imagine how the kids are going to take it either when they find out if RCCL does not change this policy.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

That said, I can confirm another Canadian traveler who I know has been told that he is considered unvaccinated for his cruise this week and he had 2 doses of Pfizer and he missed the 42-day cutoff date by a few days.  This is just not right.

Have they been referred to what was said on twitter? This makes no sense. 

1 minute ago, DHLuCruise said:

Have they been referred to what was said on twitter? This makes no sense. 

Like I mentioned, I have not talked to them personally (yet) because they have not got back to me other than the email I received from Michael Bayley's office on Monday saying they are investigating.  But I do know someone who is in the exact same situation as us and they got back to him today and told him he is being considered unvaccinated.  That person's cruise leaves this Saturday and he is being told this today.

40 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Like I mentioned, I have not talked to them personally (yet) because they have not got back to me other than the email I received from Michael Bayley's office on Monday saying they are investigating.  But I do know someone who is in the exact same situation as us and they got back to him today and told him he is being considered unvaccinated.  That person's cruise leaves this Saturday and he is being told this today.

Gosh...my heart would sink at this point.  I realized that the desire to plan and take a cruise is a drop in the bucket of all that is happening in the world (vs we cancelling, rebooking, transferring FCCs)   My cruise and all the we have planned to do in the cruise have kept us sane in all this pandemic.   We've rolled with the punches like most with confinement, mask wearing (and still am),  the non-essential stores and restaurants being closed, reopened,  a unique hair coloring 😄 when the salons were closed too, doing exercises via zoom,  taking care of parents from a distance and for others home schooling.... but I need a break. 

I followed the rules, I got up in the middle of night to secure our 1st vaccine when we became eligible and did at the crack of dawn to booked the 2nd .  I wasted no time and did my best to get the 2 doses from the manufacturers in the best interval in Canada

We are still in midst of seeing a booster shot possibly having to be  administered.  Will it make a difference at that point if we got mixed vaccines or the same vaccines more than 42 days?   I sincerely hope the CDC takes into consideration that the importance is having had 2 doses and not the timeline in between them to allow all travelers who are vaccinated to their cruise without being penalized for the lack of supply, the timing of doses, countries slow to getting off the ground and unfortunately, the influences by some that this pandemic was considered a hoax

Yes, we are fortunate as our countries recognized the urgency , did all in their powers to buy and give us the infamous jabs .  I do pray that we send vaccines to lest fortunate countries. Also, our travel dollars may help some these ports that we visit to give a little boost to their economy in hopes that the have succeeded to protect their people too.

Yes, I want to cruise but I am tired the politics, the lack of a united front in combatting this pandemic and clear directions on vaccinations protocols.

RCL is a business and they are there to protect the revenues and to please the shareholders.  I realize that each success from the preceded cruise makes the next one possible.  I just hope they use their clout to have the CDC revise the terms and conditions to cruise in a world in the midst of being vaccinated

Edited by cruzincanuck
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Russ Lomas said:

I posted this in the main RCCL group but wanted to post it here as well to update my fellow Canadians who may miss it in the other group.

To update everyone on how this stands currently.  I am awaiting word back personally from RCCL regarding the topic in this thread that I started.  My email to them was acknowledged on Monday that it had been received and is being investigated, but they have not called me back yet or emailed me again.

We are hearing all this data saying that delaying the 2nd shot gives you more protection, but we moved our kids' 2nd doses up so that we could go on this cruise.  The kids got their 2nd shots at 45 days and they are considered unvaccinated.  The frustration, anger, and tears that will come out of this and the way it is being handled is agonizing.  I can't imagine how the kids are going to take it either when they find out if RCCL does not change this policy.

Thanks for your update, I have one of my own. Tonight I received an email response to my enquiry about whether the 21-42 day interval also applies to 2 doses of the same vaccine. Hubby and I are at 47 days, kids are under the 42 days. We are booked on the Aug 20 Ovation of the Seas Alaska cruise.

I’m not feeling reassured, the answer wasn’t a simple yes or no.

As of today, the protocols for your sailing have not been confirmed.

We have been working with an expert team to guide us in developing protocols to protect our guests and crew. 

We are working with local health authorities in our homeport countries to make sure all of our guests adhere to the current inbound travel requirements. As this is a fluid process, we are continuously evaluating these protocols and will provide updates as they are confirmed. For more details and updates regarding our current requirements, you may visit https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center.”

There’s so much confusion due to different countries, different protocols etc. I wonder if Royal might decide to just simplify, and only allow US residents to cruise from US ports?

In any case, we are fully aware that we need to be flexible and patient, and at least we have a fabulous 2 week western Canada vacation planned pre-cruise. Everything booked is refundable or changeable, so we will just “go with the flow”. Aug 18 is our final decision day to determine if we will head to Seattle & cruise vs cancel the cruise and fly home. As much as we’d love to be on this cruise, if it doesn’t happen, we’ll just do it another time (although this is the last summer that our kids can probably come due to summer jobs etc). 

• Like 1

I'm hoping then, if they don't allow us to go, then bring back the lift and shift. Even though i would hate to lose my cruise, I'd rather not have any more FCC and lock in the price I paid (which is much more reasonable than new prices) and move my cruise to 2022.

But in reality, they are allow us to go but treating us like unvacinnated passengers, which I won't enjoy -- I'd rather just stay at home or go to a resort.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cruzincanuck said:

We are still in midst of seeing a booster shot possibly having to be  administered.  Will it make a difference at that point if we got mixed vaccines or the same vaccines more than 42 days?   I sincerely hope the CDC takes into consideration that the importance is having had 2 doses and not the timeline in between them to allow all travelers who are vaccinated to their cruise without being penalized for the lack of supply, the timing of doses, countries slow to getting off the ground and unfortunately, the influences by some that this pandemic was considered a hoax

RCL is a business and they are there to protect the revenues and to please the shareholders.  I realize that each success from the preceded cruise makes the next one possible.  I just hope they use their clout to have the CDC revise the terms and conditions to cruise in a world in the midst of being vaccinated

I also pointed out to RCCL in a couple of emails I sent to Michael Bayley's office that even the CDC considers us fully vaccinated, so why RCCL does not, is beyond me.  Below is a cut and paste directly from the CDC website (I added the highlights).

Interval between mRNA doses

The second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible, but not earlier than recommended (i.e., 3 weeks [Pfizer-BioNTech] or 1 month [Moderna]). However, individuals who receive the second dose up to 4 days before or at any time after the recommended date can be considered fully vaccinated

• Like 1

Russ - please continue to keep us posted. I have time as we aren't due to cruise until August next year but my parents are scheduled to cruise in November and they are at 68 days between doses as over 70 they received their first dose early on.

If things don't change prior to our cruise, and assuming we haven't had to get a booster at some point between now which would possibly change one's status, I am not interested in sailing. 

Since I am stuck with an FCC (already a bone of contention with me as I feel we should have been granted a refund but that's a whole other thing) expiring at the end of September 2022, I'm not sure what recourse I have financially other than walking away from my money. 

I did read somewhere else (I think it was the NCL board) that the poster had called both NCL and Celebrity to see what their polices would be later in the year and they reported that both cruise lines claimed as of November there would be NO requirements for vaccination whatsoever. Given that Celebrity is under the Royal banner one could assume, if this is accurate, that beyond November Royal would have the same policy. 

Very challenging to plan but I do realize what a privilege it is to try to vacation in the near term. 

I had a grand plan of one cruise a year between 2020 and 2023 when my eldest will be scheduled to go off to post-secondary and now I'm just trying to squeeze in what I can with all 6 of us before they start flying the coop.

Good luck! 

9 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I don't think being considered unvaccinated prevents one from cruising. 

6 minutes ago, broberts said:

It doesn’t prevent you from cruising, but it does make it a more unpleasant experience and it does cost you more money at the end. You may not be allowed in certain places on a ship, you may not be allowed to get off a certain ports, you’re subject to more testing on your dime … why would one want to subject themselves to that if you are fully vaccinated but the cruise line won’t recognize you as such? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, broberts said:

You're right of course but aside from the issue of testing requirements that you must pay for, in my case one out of four of us would be deemed vaccinated.

From what I am seeing on the Royal board, it appears as though there are different shows, venues and restaurants for vaccinated/unvaccinated passengers. 

I'm not particularly interested in doing a dream vacation to the Med and not be able to eat dinner with my husband! 

11 hours ago, Nickles76 said:

It doesn’t prevent you from cruising, but it does make it a more unpleasant experience and it does cost you more money at the end. You may not be allowed in certain places on a ship, you may not be allowed to get off a certain ports, you’re subject to more testing on your dime … why would one want to subject themselves to that if you are fully vaccinated but the cruise line won’t recognize you as such? 

Actually it does. We are booked on a B2B2B and if considered “unvaccinated” now, you cannot cruise B2B. Now we are stuck with changing these and getting tested at our expense for all three and getting some kind of accommodation in between our new cruise selection. Ok, we can still cruise but not what they let us book originally. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, broberts said:

It depends on the cruise/home port. For our Aug 20 Alaska sailing (?)  everyone 12+ must show proof of vaccination.

well i got a mix dose of Pfizer Moderna both mRna vaccines and according to Carnival that is acceptable to the CDC.  No mention of time between doses but mine were 9 weeks apart.  Glad im not sailing on RCCL.  

We are booked out of Barcelona on a T/A to Orlando. So many things to consider now.
We are both a mix of Pfizer and AstraZeneca. According to the website, because we are departing Barcelona, our shot dates fall in line with RCCL's guidelines (rules).
The second hurdle is the current restriction on entering the US from the Schengen region, which includes Spain. They have to lift that.
Planning is so much more complicated but I really hope it is worth it. We miss travelling.