RCCL just announced a new policy - basically ALL Canadians will be considered unvaccinated even after 2 shots!!!!

Russ Lomas

15 hours ago, brontravel said:

Anyone 12 and up is eligible to get their first or second doses right now. But they haven’t even decided that a third dose is needed so no one is eligible for a third. 

With the exception of Quebec, where residents with mixed vaccinations and needing a 3rd shot for travel are deemed eligible.

12 minutes ago, Magicat said:

My question about eligibility is not related to anyone looking for a 3rd shot. Just wondering why, if people are willing to get a shot, they are not getting them?

@K_e_short provides a good example a few posts above. Many teens and 20s are willing but in no hurry to do so. A number of universities have published requirements for the coming year, so students living in residence, playing on university sports teams, etc., will have to be vaccinated. Some TV interviews of students indicated that they are quite willing to be vaccinated but simply haven't gotten around to it yet. Too busy enjoying their summers! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

With the exception of Quebec, where residents with mixed vaccinations and needing a 3rd shot for travel are deemed eligible.

@K_e_short

I’ve read that it is only for those who need to travel for essential reasons. Either way, a third dose isn’t going to help me now. I found out yesterday that Celebrity won’t accept my two doses of AZ for a US departure. So now I need a third and fourth dose. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magicat said:

No, we did not get our shots in Canada because at the time Junior said it would likely be September when all Canadians would receive their first shot. With that statement we took it upon ourselves to get vaccinated as it appeared our government had abandoned us.  Now a lot of things have changed since February.  Availability in supply, issues with mixed vaccines, length between 1st and 2nd does, which vaccines are recognized where, to name a few.  

Who is Junior? 

7 hours ago, brontravel said:

I’ve read that it is only for those who need to travel for essential reasons. Either way, a third dose isn’t going to help me now. I found out yesterday that Celebrity won’t accept my two doses of AZ for a US departure. So now I need a third and fourth dose. 

Celebrity changed their rules again?

That is horrible. I thought that two doses of AZ was o.k.

😞

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Celebrity changed their rules again?

That is horrible. I thought that two doses of AZ was o.k.

😞

Although likely to change, here is the current Celebrity vaccine policy:

Sailings departing from the US:, To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. 

Sailings departing outside of the US: For Celebrity Silhouette sailings in the UK, Celebrity Apex sailings in Greece and Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos, we will follow their respective country guidance and allow for a mix of AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

• Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos may have mixed doses as follows:
    • AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose follows within 8-12 weeks. 
    • One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna. 

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore. See below for ports of call requirements

13 minutes ago, Thor17 said:

Although likely to change, here is the current Celebrity vaccine policy:

Sailings departing from the US:, To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. 

Sailings departing outside of the US: For Celebrity Silhouette sailings in the UK, Celebrity Apex sailings in Greece and Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos, we will follow their respective country guidance and allow for a mix of AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

• Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos may have mixed doses as follows:
    • AstraZeneca as long as the AstraZeneca dose is administered first, and then either the Pfizer or Moderna dose follows within 8-12 weeks. 
    • One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Moderna. 

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore. See below for ports of call requirements

But in their FAQ it says:

Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted.

Isn't two doses of Astra Zeneca approved by WHO?

I thought this whole stupid mixing doses thing (long week - can't use words properly) started with mixing AZ with other vaccines.

By Celebrity’s current policy, two doses of AZ is acceptable (I believe it has to be the “Oxford AstraZeneca” and not the one produced in India (Covishield?).

Although I hear AstraZeneca is changing it’s name to “Vaxzevria”.........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, K_e_short said:

But in their FAQ it says:

Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted.

Isn't two doses of Astra Zeneca approved by WHO?

I thought this whole stupid mixing doses thing (long week - can't use words properly) started with mixing AZ with other vaccines.

I’m so confused by this whole thing, but I asked a Celebrity rep and she came back and said that it would be accepted and then came back and apologized and said that it isn’t recognized for sailings out of the US. However, I’m going to dig further because there is nothing about this on their website. Canadian or US one. 

• Like 1

For those who wrote to their MP and other politicians, as I did, a short update.

I haven't heard anything from the Minister of Health (Patty Hadju)

I heard back from my MP, who is not a member of the governing party, who basically blamed Trudeau for letting down Canadians.  Not helpful.

My brother wrote to his MP, who is a member of the governing party, who indicated that discussions are underway with international partners to ensure that Canadians who are fully vaccinated are recognized as such, indicated in fact the PM was one of those Canadians, and that announcements on these issues could be expected "within a couple of weeks".

Here's hoping! 

Edited by Josie201
typos

21 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

For those who wrote to their MP and other politicians, as I did, a short update.

I heard back from my MP, who is not a member of the governing party, who basically blamed Trudeau for letting down Canadians.  Not helpful.

My brother wrote to his MP, who is a member of the governing party, who indicated that discussions are underway with international partners to ensure that Canadians who are fully vaccinated are recognized as such, indicated in fact the PM was one of those Canadians, and that announcements on these issues could be expected "within a couple of weeks".

Here's hoping! 

Heard back from Junior's office and they referred me to Minister of Health.

Didn't hear a peep from her (Hadju)

Edited by Magicat

35 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

Here's hoping! 

I wrote to my MPP since I was framing my concern/complaint regarding why Quebec was giving out 3rd doses.

Doug Ford - responded and said Ontario's priority is to get everyone their 1st and 2nd doses

Christine Elliott - no response

Marilee Fullerton - no response

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Heard back from Junior's office and they referred me to Minister of Health.

Didn't hear a peep from her (Hadju)

If your original missive was as disrespectful as your posts suggest, it is no surprise.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, broberts said:

If your original missive was as disrespectful as your posts suggest, it is no surprise.

Actually it was not.  I am still respective of the office and my email was polite and respectful.  The answer I received was in kind, polite and respectful and instructed me that for details I should inquire to the Minister of Health.  Again, a polite inquiry was ignored.  

Just because I believe the man to be a cheat and crook, it doesn't mean I don't respect the elected office he holds.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 8/7/2021 at 2:48 PM, Magicat said:

Actually it was not.  I am still respective of the office and my email was polite and respectful.  The answer I received was in kind, polite and respectful and instructed me that for details I should inquire to the Minister of Health.  Again, a polite inquiry was ignored.  

Just because I believe the man to be a cheat and crook, it doesn't mean I don't respect the elected office he holds.

Excuse me, but such political comments are inappropriate, and I believe contrary to the guidelines of cruise critic. Your opinions of our Prime Minister do not belong here, and as cruise critic forums are read internationally, you are an embarrassment. 

• Like 3

I don't feel that Magicat was being disrespectful of a govt official, she was only expressing herself with colourful choice of words, and her frustration with the Covid situation when attempting to get responses from our governing officials. I might add, many Cdns are like minded. 

I see you have added a politicians quote in your posts, so if political slants are not allowed here, I am sure the Moderator will adjust.

I like to think Cdns are much thicker skinned then to take offence at anything posted on a cruise board, and a creation of a Canada cruisers forum was an excellent idea. We are a unique thinking group, and more refreshing than "flip flops in the dining room, or god forbid Spanx in the buffet".....LOL.... I loved those days, many many years ago.

Edited by 3Shelaghs
  • Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 1:55 PM, brontravel said:

We got the 3rd shot as Quebec residents as we had the AZ & PHZ mix, we walked into a walk-in clinic and wasn’t asked any questions other than what vaccine we had so they could make sure we got the right one. The nurse that treated me mentioned that a lot of people were getting it for travel & cruises. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MR_T said:

We got the 3rd shot as Quebec residents as we had the AZ & PHZ mix, we walked into a walk-in clinic and wasn’t asked any questions other than what vaccine we had so they could make sure we got the right one. The nurse that treated me mentioned that a lot of people were getting it for travel & cruises. 

I called and was told that you had to work or live in Quebec in order to get the 3rd shot.  Were you asked for either of these?  It's too late for me now for our cruise next week (I'm on the phone cancelling it), but still may need to seek out a 3rd shot for our rescheduled cruise Oct. 31.  If I can cross over to Quebec and go to a walk-in clinic that would be great.  However, I don't want to drive 6 hours to find out I can't get one.