Vista now Orange?

EmmasNana

Deweytrader,

First I hope this mess ends for you soon!! 

Can I ask why they tested you?   Do they test all passenger before they disembark? or was it because you had a unvaccinated child in your group?   

Thanks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raysgirl said:

Deweytrader,

First I hope this mess ends for you soon!! 

Can I ask why they tested you?   Do they test all passenger before they disembark? or was it because you had a unvaccinated child in your group?   

Thanks

They confirmed earlier that it was contact tracing from an unvaccinated child. The child was asymptomatic but had testing due to being unvaccinated.

Thank you Brew12,

I could not find the whole post and was getting bits and pieces by searching the screen name.  I am cruising in a few months and getting a little nervous even though I am fully vaccinated,  As we read you still can get it.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 5:07 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

The problem is Dr. Fauci said this “The chances of it being 98% effective is not great, which means you must never abandon the public health approach.” back in Aug 2020. The never abandon the public health approach is alarming, especially with vaccination rates so low. I thought we'd be much higher by now. It was looking like some light at the end of the tunnel and there was some palpable energy for getting things back to "normal" but now the tunnel is dark once again as we circle back around again and rehash the same problems, drama and restrictions. So frustrating.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/coronavirus-vaccine-dr-fauci-says-chances-of-it-being-highly-effective-is-not-great.html 

He also recently said it probably wouldn't end in his lifetime.

"I think within the immediate future and within our future, I would say within my lifetime, it would likely is not going to all of a sudden piddle out and be the common cold."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/21/first-on-cnbc-cnbc-transcript-dr-anthony-fauci-speaks-with-cnbcs-closing-bell-today.html

Well with the most typical Delta variant symptoms (for those that have symptoms) are a runny nose, sneezing and cough....  I would say pretty easily that covid became the common cold for vaccinated people.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raysgirl said:

Thank you Brew12,

I could not find the whole post and was getting bits and pieces by searching the screen name.  I am cruising in a few months and getting a little nervous even though I am fully vaccinated,  As we read you still can get it.

Thanks again!

If you’re nervous, maybe you should research other vacation options for you and your family. Why go on a vacation and be worried the entire time? 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 11:32 AM, Fredric22 said:

You most likely contracted the virus from your unvaccinated son. Unfortunately there is an increased risk of an unvaccinated person transmitting to a vaccinated person. You most likely did not transmit to others especially if your husband is negative.  

The CDC would not agree with you.  Vaxxed and unvaxxed peeps can have the same viral load and be just as contagious as the other.  No difference in transmission.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Buckeyefrank100 said:

The CDC would not agree with you.  Vaxxed and unvaxxed peeps can have the same viral load and be just as contagious as the other.  No difference in transmission.

That is absolutely not true.  Please do your research before you make such comments. There is a significant difference in transmission between vaccinated and unvaccinated.  It doesn't mean vaccinated can't transmit, but we know it is not at the same probability. 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.28.21261295v1

• Like 1

The chance of a vaccinated person needing hospitalization or having a long-haul reaction is extremely low, about .0005%. That’s lower than most risks we’re comfortable with — driving, food poisoning, theme park rides. I’d be slightly more concerned about possibly being an asymptomatic vector, but those are extremely rare in contagious disease, and the science doesn’t seem to be supporting that they’re any more common in the case of COVID. Most unvaxxed adults in the states have taken on that risk of their own volition, in any case.

More vaccination = less intubation.

Edited by Noami
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, SheSailsFL said:

Sorry but yes it is.  The rule is that all unvaxed passengers have to have a test within 24 BEFORE debarking from the ship.

within 24 hours of debarkation 

No matter how many times you look at it its very hard to mistake "OF" for "BEFORE" Also we werent talking about unvaxed passengers.  

That is because, based on the final destination of the departing passengers, a test may be required to board a plane.

Which I was told they are NOT doing for vaccinated people who require a test for flights which is why I had to book my return flight for 3 days after my cruise to allow for me to get test and have results before my flight.  

I believe it is part of their agreements with the ports. 

This could be i, havent read them

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

No matter how many times you look at it its very hard to mistake "OF" for "BEFORE" Also we werent talking about unvaxed passengers.  

Which I was told they are NOT doing for vaccinated people who require a test for flights which is why I had to book my return flight for 3 days after my cruise to allow for me to get test and have results before my flight.  

This could be i, havent read them

Sorry I cant help clarify more.  It might be helpful for you to read the entire document.  It will provide the context of the language I and others have pasted in bits & pieces.  

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821&fbclid=IwAR26to9-TsbHgPkLWhOY1roqqhDCpSwW7RZht8sQ8iB8xylqSkS0JLtO6ho

14 minutes ago, SheSailsFL said:

It might be helpful for you to read the entire document.

Really?🤣🤣 Theres only 2 bullet points related to testing so im not sure what else on the Health Protocols page you feel is relevant to the discussion.  But regardless i have read it many many many times (daily i might add) because i want to know the protocols, requirements and documentation needed and i don't want to be stuck in November when i cruise.  Im definitely not prepared to show up at check in and argue with them what i "felt" the "context" of a certain sentence or word meant vs what was actually printed so i guess i will just phone and ask the question.  Perhaps they can tell me why they told me i couldnt get tested onboard for my flight home.  This will certainly save me hotel cost for three days and the price of the test.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Really?🤣🤣 Theres only 2 bullet points related to testing so im not sure what else on the Health Protocols page you feel is relevant to the discussion.  But regardless i have read it many many many times (daily i might add) because i want to know the protocols, requirements and documentation needed and i don't want to be stuck in November when i cruise.  Im definitely not prepared to show up at check in and argue with them what i "felt" the "context" of a certain sentence or word meant vs what was actually printed so i guess i will just phone and ask the question.  Perhaps they can tell me why they told me i couldnt get tested onboard for my flight home.  This will certainly save me hotel cost for three days and the price of the test.  

Probably a much better approach than repeatedly arguing with others who are simply cruisers as yourself.  If you don’t like our answers it’s ok not to attack them and simply go to the source for the information you seek. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

The last day invent some covid like symptoms. They will test you 

Can you get tested at your last port if call and would they accept that? 

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Are you still arguing semantics over reality? Almost be definition, English is an ambiguous language, particularly in written form. Much context is visual. Much is inflection. Much is bastardized. The English routinely misspell words  And so on. Fragment 

13 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Well with the most typical Delta variant symptoms (for those that have symptoms) are a runny nose, sneezing and cough....  I would say pretty easily that covid became the common cold for vaccinated people.

But getting a common cold doesn't result in being quarantined in a hotel for possibly a couple of weeks. That's my big concern. 😳 We're vaccinated so I figure our chance of getting very sick and needing hospitalization are not very high, but the cost of being quarantined could be very expensive as well as disrupting.

I'm curious: who forced DeweyTrader to go into quarantine in the first place? I'm all for quarantining serious contagious persons, I am just wondering.

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4
spelling!
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Gah, I had a nice reply all written up and the "site upgrade" nuked it.

As noted, English is, occasionally, ambiguous.

You feel the current wording is wrong, because you interpret it to mean 24 hrs after disembarking.  But you also noted that testing after disembarking is not feasible, because everyone has scattered to the four winds and no way to follow up.

Therefore, the alternative is to interpret it to mean 24 hrs prior to debarkation.

If a phrase is ambiguous, but one of the alternative interpretations is not really practical or feasible, it usually best to assume that the other, perhaps less precise, meaning is what was intended.

Also, Carnival is indeed testing only the unvaxxed pax prior to debarkation, using an antigen test.  (Pax on B2B also get tested after the first cruise, even if fully vaxxed.)  If someone pops positive, then they get tested again using PCR, and everyone else in their party/group gets tested, and possibly other guests via contract tracing.

And finally, even if you were to be tested, as noted it is an antigen test as first pass, not PCR, which is not valid for entry into Canada via air.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

But getting a common cold doesn't result in being quarantined in a hotel for possibly a couple of weeks. That's my big concern. 😳 We're vaccinated so I figure our chance of getting very sick and needing hospitalization are not very high, but the cost of being quarantined could be very expensive as well as disrupting.

I'm curious: who forced DeweyTrader to go into quarantine in the first place? I'm all for quarantining serious contagious persons, I am just wondering.

Doug

From what I have read of their ordeal, I believe they had to quarantine at a hotel because they flew in for their cruise.  I don't know if it would have been an option for them to just rent a car and drive home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I'm curious: who forced DeweyTrader to go into quarantine in the first place? I'm all for quarantining serious contagious persons, I am just wondering

Forced probably isn't the correct word. The issue is the plane flight. If they lived within driving distance they could have driven home. They only way for them to fly home would be to lie on their health screening questionnaire which could have criminal penalties. 

Unless they agreed to something not typical, they could leave any time they want. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Her unvaccinated children, her son tested positive. That's why she was tested, and tested positive.

Lol I'm parking close to the port so I can walk to my car and drive home if there is a positive. Proactive. 

That's a smart move for anyone who may be tested.  Driving to the port is a great safety net for a possible positive test result.

1 minute ago, sailingships said:

But she and her son were taken to the hotel. Could they have refused if they had a car?

They couldn't have left the ship as normal, but they could have been driven to their car in isolation to pick it up.

• Like 1

Yes, we could have rented a car and drove home.  However in our case we are 1800 miles from home and would have needed 2 cars to separate the positives/negatives.  I am personally uncomfortable with the fact that i would have need to stop for bathroom breaks etc. and potentially expose others.  Call me old fashioned but that is how I was raised...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1