Vista now Orange?

EmmasNana

Some people are going to get covid if they travel.  There needs to be solid plans in place on quarantining and getting the positive cases off the ship and to whatever hotel they contracted with to take those people.  I don't think it's cause for panic if somebody gets the virus and only has mild symptoms or none at all.

It seems to be that the majority of issues are due to unvaccinated people.  Anyone traveling with an unvaccinated person knows there is a risk that their entire family may get tested and quarantined at their own expense.  As long as they assume the risk, then the cruise lines could help them with transportation to a quaratine hotel and move on.  And obviously, get them off of the ship while there aren't other passengers nearby.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It seems to be that the majority of issues are due to unvaccinated people.

6 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

it appears the reason the majority of covid cases is being found on the ships is because of the required testing of the unvaccinated.

I think this is exactly it. If the unvaccinated, and those in close contact with them, are the only ones being tested it will make it look like the unvaccinated are the problem. 

Edit: Just want to make it clear.. I think vaccinations are safe and critically important. I only feel that this testing may make it look like the 95% vaccination rate isn't being successful when, based on so many asymptomatic cases, it is.

Edited by Brew12
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I think this is exactly it. If the unvaccinated, and those in close contact with them, are the only ones being tested it will make it look like the unvaccinated are the problem. 

Since there is mandatory testing for unvaccinated people on the way back to the home port, if that person tests positive then the entire family will have to take a test.  That's a huge risk to spoiling a vacation and adding two weeks at a hotel to quarantine.  How can that be worth the risk to people?

As far as vaccinated people having covid with no symptoms, it's probably more common than we know.  As long as people aren't being hospitalized and dying, then it's something that people can learn to live with.  I am much more concerned about my flight to Orlando than I am about getting covid on the cruise.  Nobody is testing people to fly, so I am sure there will be people on the plane with covid. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, deweytrader said:

it appears the reason the majority of covid cases is being found on the ships is because of the required testing of the unvaccinated.  there are certainly more undetected cases on board, maybe ignorance is bliss??

Indeed it is! Vaccinated asymptomatic cases aren't really a problem. If everyone was vaccinated there would only need to be testing if someone presented with symptoms to medical staff. Even minor stuff can be dealt with with OTC meds and keep the vacay going!  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, deweytrader said:

it appears the reason the majority of covid cases is being found on the ships is because of the required testing of the unvaccinated.  there are certainly more undetected cases on board, maybe ignorance is bliss??

I believe 4 of the 6 cases on Royal were vaccinated with one having symptoms. Two were kids.

15 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Indeed it is! Vaccinated asymptomatic cases aren't really a problem. If everyone was vaccinated there would only need to be testing if someone presented with symptoms to medical staff. Even minor stuff can be dealt with with OTC meds and keep the vacay going!  

I dont know I'd go so far as saying the majority of cases are found because of testing of unvaxxed. True poster here was found that way. The crew onboard for shops on horizon didnt feel well, the first celebrity case got sick, last celebrity case he felt like he had a cold and went and got tested,the was vaccinated. The 4 found on rcl adventure, everyone over the age of 16 I think is vaxxed, 4 adults and 2 kids tested positive. All are tested both ways out of nassau. I havent looked into how they were found on rcl to alaska. Nassau you have to buy insurance upping the cost but it's coming that it's worth it to those who were positive to get home. 

I dont think the majority were found because of unvaxxed testing. Rcl going forward will require all to present tests to board. Some like crew on horizon and the guy on celebrity just didnt feel well and got tested. All these cases getting kind of scary to me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I believe 4 of the 6 cases on Royal were vaccinated with one having symptoms. Two were kids.

Yes was out of nassau so everyone would always be tested. Required to book nassau. 

You beat me to answer but we were thinking the same thing.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont know I'd go so far as saying the majority of cases are found because of testing of unvaxxed. True poster here was found that way. The crew onboard for shops on horizon didnt feel well, the first celebrity case got sick, last celebrity case he felt like he had a cold and went and got tested,the was vaccinated. The 4 found on rcl adventure, everyone over the age of 16 I think is vaxxed, 4 adults and 2 kids tested positive. All are tested both ways out of nassau. I havent looked into how they were found on rcl to alaska. Nassau you have to buy insurance upping the cost but it's coming that it's worth it to those who were positive to get home. 

I dont think the majority were found because of unvaxxed testing. Rcl going forward will require all to present tests to board. Some like crew on horizon and the guy on celebrity just didnt feel well and got tested. All these cases getting kind of scary to me.

I never claimed that, only that ignorance is bliss. A few asymptomatic cases are a nothing burger if nearly everyone is vaccinated. Most people aren't going to go running to medical for the sniffles or a headache either and ruin their trip. The only real threat is to people who probably shouldn't be risking a cruise anyway (medically vulnerable/fragile). There would be a lot less testing if all passengers were vaccinated and ignorance would, indeed, be bliss.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, deweytrader said:

46 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I never claimed that, only that ignorance is bliss. A few asymptomatic cases are a nothing burger if nearly everyone is vaccinated. Most people aren't going to go running to medical for the sniffles or a headache either and ruin their trip. The only real threat is to people who probably shouldn't be risking a cruise anyway (medically vulnerable/fragile). There would be a lot less testing if all passengers were vaccinated and ignorance would, indeed, be bliss.  

Agree. You quoted Dewey who said the majority of cases are being found because of unvaxxed tested, and I quoted your response to her statement. ..I added her quote which you quoted.

Agree you didnt say it.

• Like 1

Just wanted to give quick update, I have lost all taste/smell, have slight cough/sniffles, and have some gastrointestinal problems.  Son has slight sniffles/cough.  I would consider mild symptoms.  Upon doing research I believe our cases were caught very early based on our viral loads from our 7/28/21 PCR test.  Mine (14.9 ct) Son (16.8 ct), therefore we were symptom free and shedding the virus agessively without even knowing it.  It also tells me most likely I contacted it on the ship imho.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

Just wanted to give quick update...

Prayers for you and your son, as well as husband and daughter! Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery. Thank you for updating us during this ordeal.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

Just wanted to give quick update, I have lost all taste/smell, have slight cough/sniffles, and have some gastrointestinal problems.  Son has slight sniffles/cough.  I would consider mild symptoms.  Upon doing research I believe our cases were caught very early based on our viral loads from our 7/28/21 PCR test.  Mine (14.9 ct) Son (16.8 ct), therefore we were symptom free and shedding the virus agessively without even knowing it.  It also tells me most likely I contacted it on the ship imho.  

Sorry to hear you are worse. I'm glad your husband is still there in houston to take care of food and such. Hoping you dont get worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deweytrader said:

Sorry to hear you have become symptomatic. Hope that is the worse of it and you get your taste/smell back sooner rather than later.  Thank you for the updates; looking forward to hearing when your whole family tests negative and you are back home safely!

• Like 1

You most likely contracted the virus from your unvaccinated son. Unfortunately there is an increased risk of an unvaccinated person transmitting to a vaccinated person. You most likely did not transmit to others especially if your husband is negative.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

You most likely contracted the virus from your unvaccinated son. Unfortunately there is an increased risk of an unvaccinated person transmitting to a vaccinated person. You most likely did not transmit to others especially if your husband is negative.  

I see we have a doctor in the house. Welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I see we have a doctor in the house. Welcome.

Thank you!  I do enjoy spreading knowledge. This has been what observed so far in the data.  Although viral load numbers may be the same in a vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, the chances of the vaccinated individual transmitting to others have been observed to be significantly less. This of course is great news for all of us who have received the vaccine.  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Thank you!  I do enjoy spreading knowledge. This has been what observed so far in the data.  Although viral load numbers may be the same in a vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, the chances of the vaccinated individual transmitting to others have been observed to be significantly less. This of course is great news for all of us who have received the vaccine.  

18 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Also if you are interested in reading a brand new interesting study regarding infectionsness between vaccinated and unvaccinated, this is a great one:  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.28.21261295v1

That's the real problem with this virus, this virus is so new what does the latest data really mean? Can you really  etch it in stone as being correct?

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That's the real problem with this virus, this virus is so new what does the latest data really mean? Can you really  etch it in stone as being correct?

Nothing is ever etched in stone with regards to medicine. However, we can be confident when studies match our real world observations.  🙂

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Best if you don't. The virus mutates and so do recommendations. But the recommendations are the best we have, at this point in time. Tomorrow they could change and at some point will. The virus is a moving target until we get ahead of it.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:01 AM, deweytrader said:

I’m sorry to hear you and your son got Covid! Thank you for your candor about your experience. Your details paint a good picture of what could/would happen. I hope you 2 feel better soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, deweytrader said:

So are you saying that when the unvaxxed  children cruise on Carnival the whole family must get the 72 hour PCR test done? Even the vaxxed parents?

3 minutes ago, sailingships said:

So are you saying that when the unvaxxed  children cruise on Carnival the whole family must get the 72 hour PCR test done? Even the vaxxed parents?

Because my son had a positive antigen test, next step pcr for him.  Once that came back positive, they needed to test my husband and I.  Good news, both husband and daughter still testing negative today!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1