Crown verses Emerald

Slyfox16

How does the Emerald compare to the Crown? We were just notified by Princess that they are redeploying the Crown and that we will now be on the Emerald for a November cruise. When was it last upgraded and is it showing its age?

Minor differences.

Lido Deck (15):

Emerald has Steamers and Planks aft of World Fresh Marketplace (buffet)

Crown has Cafe Caribe aft of Horizon Court (buffet)

Sun Deck (16):

Emerald has Share

Crown has Sabatini's

Other than that I don't recall much difference. We last sailed Emerald in November of 2019 just before things shut down. Ship was in great shape then.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

We are also on a Nov '21 Panama Canal cruise that will now be Emerald.  Really makes no appreciable difference to us.  We were on the Emerald in 2017 and it was fine - a good ship.  No issue with this change, as long as the cruise still goes ahead.

Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the Crown in the end of January 2020 for about 10 days.  I thought the ship was in bad shape cosmetically. Seemed worn out and kind of dumpy to me. We also had a propulsion issue so moved at a slower speed and had to miss a port. Timing for other ports was off, too, if I remember correctly.  The whole cruise was just kind of off. The group I was with agreed. 
The only reason we signed up for the 15 day Panama Canal cruise in February 2022 on the Crown was because we were joining two other couples that were on the cruise already. It may have been fine on the Crown, but I’m glad for the change to the Emerald. 

Edited by jeno

The Crown Princess drydocked Jan 6-20, 2021 and the Emerald Princess drydocked March 29-Apr 14, 2019.  Both ships should be pretty much updated.  We are on the Nov 16th Panama Canal cruise that is now on the Emerald.  We haven't done the Emerald yet, but have done the Crown several times, so we are looking forward to it.

• We were some of the last cruisers on the Emerald before the pandemic shutdown, returning from the 28 day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific on March 1, 2020. We loved the Emerald and can't wait to board her again in February. 

On 7/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, Thrak said:

Minor differences.

Lido Deck (15):

Emerald has Steamers and Planks aft of World Fresh Marketplace (buffet)

Crown has Cafe Caribe aft of Horizon Court (buffet)

Sun Deck (16):

Emerald has Share

Crown has Sabatini's

Other than that I don't recall much difference. We last sailed Emerald in November of 2019 just before things shut down. Ship was in great shape then.

I can't find Alfredos on the Emerald. So I guess no pizza? (Stuff on Lido deck not worth the calories IMHO) And no Sabatinis so no Italian anywhere other than MDR? Alfredos can sub for Sabatinis but can't find that

Edited by Ombud

26 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I can't find Alfredos on the Emerald. So I guess no pizza? (Stuff on Lido deck not worth the calories IMHO) And no Sabatinis so no Italian anywhere other than MDR? Alfredos can sub for Sabatinis but can't find that

Emerald Princess does not have Alfredo's. Pizza by the slice available next to the lido pool. The Emerald has SHARE instead of Sabatini's.

Alfredo's can be found on Royal class ships. The Grand and Sapphire also have Alfredo's with a menu limited to individual pizzas only. No expanded menu. It has been reported that the Coral sometimes has offered Alfredo's @ Sabatini's for lunch on some sea days. 

3 minutes ago, skynight said:

Emerald Princess does not have Alfredo's. Pizza by the slice available next to the lido pool. The Emerald has SHARE instead of Sabatini's.

Alfredo's can be found on Royal class ships. The Grand and Sapphire also have Alfredo's with a menu limited to individual pizzas only. No expanded menu. It has been reported that the Coral sometimes has offered Alfredo's @ Sabatini's for lunch on some sea days. 

Lido pizza ("Slice") isn't worth the calories. Their avocado toast was just ok