LIVE (hopefully) from the Nieuw Amsterdam's 2nd Alsakan Sailing

Brentt_M

13 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

I'll be onboard in a couple weeks and need to do some work online for business.    When did you have the best internet connection?    How was it on board while docked in Juneau?    Thanks.

I don't think the ships wifi was ever sufficient for working, but while docked in Juneau I had plenty of cell signal for anything and here in Ketchikan my cell signal is good too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brentt_M said:

We are at Ketchikan and we have a kayaking excursion booked here shortly.  Our last port of the cruise 😞

We will have to go back to the real world soon and I am not ready for that!

We are headed to the Misty Fjords.  Jen and I are also not ready for this trip to end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisewiththekids said:

That's good to know.    Hoping then my mobile hotspot will do the trick.   Thanks.

FYI, on another blog for this cruise: "He works for ATT and filled us in: our T-Mobile, which has provided us service all over the world, wasn’t going to do squat for us in Alaska.  ATT has a monopoly there."

3 minutes ago, nanlaur said:

FYI, on another blog for this cruise: "He works for ATT and filled us in: our T-Mobile, which has provided us service all over the world, wasn’t going to do squat for us in Alaska.  ATT has a monopoly there."

Well, my Verizon is working here.  May be a roaming agreement, but it’s working fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, nanlaur said:

I have verizon through work and I had horrible service in Sitka, but we use ATT for the kids and it was good for them.  Juneau and Ketchikan both were fine

Edited by Brentt_M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zelker said:

Where are you planning to get tested?  We’re near Boulder and not sailing until the 28th.

I will be trying to get tested at our local Walgreens.  Hope that will work, as we are  pretty well isolated here in Grand Junction with the Glenwood Canyon situation.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

I will be trying to get tested at our local Walgreens.  Hope that will work, as we are  pretty well isolated here in Grand Junction with the Glenwood Canyon situation.

I called HA and the rep told me that tests from Drug stores like Walgreens & CVS were acceptable.   Home test kits are not acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So kayaking was pretty fun... pretty sure my arms/shoulders are going to feel it later though.

The lady that was in the other kayak with my daughter flipped the kayak when trying to get out so she got to go for a little swim.  The water was not as cold as I thought it might be.

20210805_093656.jpg

20210805_090216.jpg

20210805_093701.jpg

20210805_081314.jpg

20210805_081213.jpg

20210805_090011.jpg

20210805_085951.jpg

20210805_085903.jpg

• Like 17

For an explanation of the CDC Ships color code, I found the CDC ‘threshold” for COVID cases is based on percentage of passengers with COVID.    Ship is green if there are 0 cases.     A ship goes to yellow If cases of COVID are less than 0.10% of passengers (for 2000 passengers that would be less than 2 passengers so effectively 1 case).   If the number of COVID cases equals  or is greater than .10% the ship goes to Orange.   A ship goes to red if the ships medical staff is overwhelmed with cases.

• Thanks 1

Misty Fjords was amazing, I swear I’d only have been slightly surprised to see pterodactyls wheeling about in the sky.

On the way back (currently) something happened and so rather than returning around noon, I’m thinking closer to two, so little time to see Ketchikan, but still, beautiful weather for the time that mattered, rain held off until the return.

Highly recommend, especially if you’ve never been to Norway’s fjords, or have and miss them.

Lots of pics, but I have to look them over to figure out which to share.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, liam1965 said:

Misty Fjords was amazing, I swear I’d only have been slightly surprised to see pterodactyls wheeling about in the sky.

The number one shore excursion for me was the Misty Fjords floatplane trip.  Landing on a lake; stepping out onto the plane's floats; absorbing the beauty and the silence of my surroundings; it was an experience that words cannot describe adequately.  

4 hours ago, nanlaur said:

ATT has a monopoly there."

My Consumer Cellular phone uses the AT&T service and I had no problems with it in Alaska.  Except, I could not get a signal calling from my stateroom.  Had to be outside and, if possible, off the ship.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, liam1965 said:

Lots of pics, but I have to look them over to figure out which to share.

I see that you did the boat trip into the Park.  Still awesome.  Next time, try the floatplane trip if it is available.  Awesome X Two!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruisewiththekids said:

Well, I wish I hadn't read this.   We're doing kayaking too, and the vendor assured us that no one ever flips the kayak.

Just wait to be helped out by the guide and you should be fine.  While doing the actually kayaking it would pretty hard to flip it, but get in or out of it can be a different story if you don't do it the correct way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Brentt_M said:

While doing the actually kayaking it would pretty hard to flip it, but get in or out of it can be a different story if you don't do it the correct way

Never have been in a kayak, but how one gets in/out is correct.  There was an Amsterdam guest that didn't do something correctly during a gondola ride in Venice and got dunked into the drink.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brentt, sorry that your daughter got an unexpected dunk.  Mortifying.

Our sons as Boy Scouts delighted in purposely flipping kayaks to practice getting back into the kayak.  Yes, this was theirs and others.  :)  

Barbara

• Like 1
  • Haha 1