Sept 2021 Med Grand Cruise

Sued

Hi everyone,  have been following all your comments especially recent experiences with the maiden med voyages in Greece. .  Our grand cruise on the Shadow next month appears to be a go,  but frankly not 100% sure.  Am fairly confident that if it goes, there will be itinerary adjustments which we are fine with and will be flexible.

Anyone one else on this or some of the legs?  And have you any further updates? it’s to depart Venice and conclude in Lisbon. 
hope to see some of you on this…we so miss SS cruising!

Hi Sued, we are on this GV also.  There is a roll call of sorts you could check on.  I agree that there will probably be port changes & who knows what might happen in these very uncertain times.  The Venice docking situation is interesting too...but Silversea will get us to wherever they end up docking. It must be a logistical nightmare at headquarters now. Really looking forward to it though - we can now say "next month."  It's been way too long without travel. I will look forward to meeting y'all.

3 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Hi Sued, we are on this GV also.  There is a roll call of sorts you could check on.  I agree that there will probably be port changes & who knows what might happen in these very uncertain times.  The Venice docking situation is interesting too...but Silversea will get us to wherever they end up docking. It must be a logistical nightmare at headquarters now. Really looking forward to it though - we can now say "next month."  It's been way too long without travel. I will look forward to meeting y'all.

Hi again🙂 hope you have a great cruise and just wanted to thank you for helping me over on the West Forum🙂

Hello to you all 

Hot off the press I am sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings but I have just learned of the cancellation of the Cappadocia Mid-cruise land tour from Istanbul, on which I was booked - this despite originally gaining the requisite number to ensure viability.👎👎🙁🙁😢😢

Kindest  regards

Master Echo 

Sorry ME….going to be a bumpy ride port wise I think.

Our TA is staying on top of things.  Venice is certainly a bit dicey…we will be coming from another port obviously, but that is fine.

still waiting on final flight info.

2 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Master Echo - do you know why it was cancelled?  Do you have any other information on ports being skipped?

Cruise lines are lately cancelling all activity in Turkey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

It just got worse with Georgia added to the U.K. Red List yesterday. For any Brits booked on this cruise it’s looking like a major reschedule is required or it’s a complete non starter.

Can you kindly explain about the UK restrictions re "Red List?"  Does that mean you would need to quarantine in the place of disembarkation before returning home or quarantine at home upon return? That makes it so hard to plan doesn't it?  If you are on the entire GV & we, by any chance, visit those ports, would the remainder of the port calls in non-red countries count towards the "quarantine?" 

2 hours ago, daddyo said:

Meanwhile, President Putin has rolled out the Russian Naval Welcoming Committee in the Black Sea.  That may also put a wrinkle in itinerary 

Are they holding "exercises" near Crimea again?  Taken all together, this segment looks like it might be moved somewhere else, doesn't it?  And that would be devastating for those who booked that segment only.  What a logistical nightmare. 

Master Echo, if you are reading this can you snoop around with the Future Cruise person on the Moon & see if he/she has any inside information?

On 8/5/2021 at 6:48 PM, nowornever said:

Can you kindly explain about the UK restrictions re "Red List?"  Does that mean you would need to quarantine in the place of disembarkation before returning home or quarantine at home upon return? That makes it so hard to plan doesn't it?  If you are on the entire GV & we, by any chance, visit those ports, would the remainder of the port calls in non-red countries count towards the "quarantine?" 

If you come within 10 days of visiting a ‘red list’ country you are forced to quarantine in a hotel of the governments choice and cough up £2,500 each. That destroys the logic of going on a cruise that stops in Turkey or Georgia at present.

OMG... that's certainly going to dash hopes of the Black Sea segment for UK passengers.  I'm starting to really have doubts about the viability of this Grand Voyage - Turkish situation, fires in Greece, who knows what will happen with the Shadow in Iceland?  

• Like 1

Given the number of people on cc.com and FB who have said they are going, and assuming that only represents 40 to 50%, I estimate around 35 will be on for the full GV.  Of course tomorrow is the last day you can cancel without penalty.

If the cruise goes, we will go!  I have bought too many new evening gowns not to wear them while they are still in style.  LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Emtbsam/Victoria, sure hope Bob and you get to go on your special Med Grand Voyage along with all other Grand Voyagers.  Wishing everyone, Fair Winds and Following Seas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Given the number of people on cc.com and FB who have said they are going, and assuming that only represents 40 to 50%, I estimate around 35 will be on for the full GV.  Of course tomorrow is the last day you can cancel without penalty.

If the cruise goes, we will go!  I have bought too many new evening gowns not to wear them while they are still in style.  LOL.

from what I've seen in the past, I don't think you have to worry about them going out of style anytime soon.

• Like 1