Medallion App Instructions For Android Devices

Daniel A

The old thread with 68 pages contains so much outdated information, I thought it might be best to start a new thread on how to download and use the Medallion Class App on an Android device.  I am also going to start another thread with the instructions for an Apple device. 

If you are very knowledgeable in IT, your tutorials will be much appreciated.

42 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The old thread with 68 pages contains so much outdated information, I thought it might be best to start a new thread on how to download and use the Medallion Class App on an Android device.  I am also going to start another thread with the instructions for an Apple device. 

If you are very knowledgeable in IT, your tutorials will be much appreciated.

I wonder how many long detailed posts you will receive on how to download and use the app on your Apple device?

Any tips on trying to use APK (Android application package)  I am not able to get the new app in the play store and recently learned about APK as an alternative.  I managed to get the older medallionclass version downloaded, but that won't really help me.  I did find the newest version en español though.  I did not try it.

37 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Any tips on trying to use APK (Android application package)  I am not able to get the new app in the play store and recently learned about APK as an alternative.  I managed to get the older medallionclass version downloaded, but that won't really help me.  I did find the newest version en español though.  I did not try it.

The new app is called medallionclass. What happens when you try to install it from the play store? What sort of device do you have?

Probably the best place to start is check that your smart phone has Android version 8 or above. If it doesn't (like my ex phone just replaced) then don't proceed, or try APK.

I found that having a phone with an Android version before 8 was also starting to not get updates for other Apps, so it was time to bite the bullet. 

My advice, new phone, or read the thread about not needing a phone to complete pre cruise requirements.

24 minutes ago, barrykel said:

The new app is called medallionclass. What happens when you try to install it from the play store? What sort of device do you have?

I have a Samsung S6 that can not go higher than Android 7. I found this out after I deleted the old (way old) app I had before I tried to get the new one.  Went to Play Store, Medallionclass app not to be found. Google even knows what I have and at times I see in red as I research Not available on any of your devices.  I have only had the phone less than 2 years (bought it sealed new, but already old)  The phone is fine for my needs except this.  I am hoping it will just be a matter of time when the newest version will be on APK.  As I said, I did see the newest version en español (July 25th, I believe)  Using APKPure to locate download.

21 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Probably the best place to start is check that your smart phone has Android version 8 or above. If it doesn't (like my ex phone just replaced) then don't proceed, or try APK.

I found that having a phone with an Android version before 8 was also starting to not get updates for other Apps, so it was time to bite the bullet. 

My advice, new phone, or read the thread about not needing a phone to complete pre cruise requirements.

Thank You.  New phone is under consideration, but not high priority.

25 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

I have a Samsung S6 that can not go higher than Android 7. I found this out after I deleted the old (way old) app I had before I tried to get the new one.  Went to Play Store, Medallionclass app not to be found. Google even knows what I have and at times I see in red as I research Not available on any of your devices.  I have only had the phone less than 2 years (bought it sealed new, but already old)  The phone is fine for my needs except this.  I am hoping it will just be a matter of time when the newest version will be on APK. 

The fact that your phone is running a rev lower than the app is asking for explains why it's not showing up in play store. And considering how buggy it is on Android 10, I wouldn't be real hopeful that it would work at all on 7, even if you can find an apk. Most likely you'll have to wait 'til embarkation to enter all your data. Unclear how painful a process that will be.

16 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Most likely you'll have to wait 'til embarkation to enter all your data. Unclear how painful a process that will be.

That seems a bit too late to do such things as accept the cruise contract, provide passport information, give your credit card information and other important things that are no longer available via the Personalizer.

4 minutes ago, caribill said:

That seems a bit too late to do such things as accept the cruise contract, provide passport information, give your credit card information and other important things that are no longer available via the Personalizer.

It does seem late, but apparently that's the only choice available for those in this situation. As I've said on other threads, the decision to remove the functionality from the personalizer is one that will probably cost Princess a significant portion of their customer base. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I have a Samsung S6 that can not go higher than Android 7. I found this out after I deleted the old (way old) app I had before I tried to get the new one.  Went to Play Store, Medallionclass app not to be found. Google even knows what I have and at times I see in red as I research Not available on any of your devices.  I have only had the phone less than 2 years (bought it sealed new, but already old)  The phone is fine for my needs except this.  I am hoping it will just be a matter of time when the newest version will be on APK.  As I said, I did see the newest version en español (July 25th, I believe)  Using APKPure to locate download.

I just checked APKPure and it does seem to have the latest version available now, which AFAIK is V3.0.93251 (at least that's the same version as on my Galaxy S9+, which works almost perfectly).  I was able to install 93251 on an old rooted Galaxy S5 running Android 10 by downloading it from the Play Store, not using the APK, but it crashes after a few minutes of use. So it may be that it's some combination of Android version AND phone model version together that determines whether this app will work or not.

• Like 1

I have the app on my phone,  my question is regarding uploading a picture of your vaccination card.  I have read on other post people who have done so,  but when going through and answering all the health questions,  I do not see an option to upload vaccination card.  What am I missing?  I was able to take picture and upload passport,  so I have the ability.

Thanks

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I just checked APKPure and it does seem to have the latest version available now, which AFAIK is V3.0.93251 (at least that's the same version as on my Galaxy S9+, which works almost perfectly).  I was able to install 93251 on an old rooted Galaxy S5 running Android 10 by downloading it from the Play Store, not using the APK, but it crashes after a few minutes of use. So it may be that it's some combination of Android version AND phone model version together that determines whether this app will work or not.

I will take a look, thank you.

1 hour ago, CruiseNut24 said:

I have the app on my phone,  my question is regarding uploading a picture of your vaccination card.  I have read on other post people who have done so,  but when going through and answering all the health questions,  I do not see an option to upload vaccination card.  What am I missing?  I was able to take picture and upload passport,  so I have the ability.

Thanks

Same here - uploaded a pic of DW's passport fine (mine is still at the State Dept - I stupidly let it expire), but don't see anything about uploading a pic of the vaccine card, just checkboxes to swear we've been vaccinated. Maybe an Apple vs Android thing?

2 hours ago, barrykel said:

Same here - uploaded a pic of DW's passport fine (mine is still at the State Dept - I stupidly let it expire), but don't see anything about uploading a pic of the vaccine card, just checkboxes to swear we've been vaccinated. Maybe an Apple vs Android thing?

I read on another thread that they have temporarily disabled that feature.  Maybe has something to do with the Florida law??

8 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I read on another thread that they have temporarily disabled that feature.  Maybe has something to do with the Florida law??

Doesn't seem all that likely, given that they're still asking if you've been vaccinated (AFAIK even that would be illegal on a Florida-based cruise). Plus my booking is on the Mexican Riviera itinerary out of LA - I won't be going anywhere near Florida for quite a while.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Doesn't seem all that likely, given that they're still asking if you've been vaccinated (AFAIK even that would be illegal on a Florida-based cruise). Plus my booking is on the Mexican Riviera itinerary out of LA - I won't be going anywhere near Florida for quite a while.

Technically, the Florida law prohibits requiring documentation of vaccine or post infection status.  They are allowed to ask, but not require documentation for confirmation.  Maybe they disabled that vaccine card upload while they work on eliminating that feature for cruises out of Florida.  Who knows??  Princess is doing a crummy job of letting us know what's happening.

• Like 1

I have never been able to upload my passport image. I entered the info manually and it's in the Green Lane. I briefly had the option to upload my vaccination card but it bombed every time and then the option was removed from the app. It "may" come back one day.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I just now gave it good try.  Trying APKPure I did find the updated July 28th version there now.  I got FAILED TO INSTALL with a big X.  I found it (zip file) actually by the developers Global Innovators. But all I get is "There was a problem parsing the package"    I have deleted the useless old version.  So, I am no where with trying to obtain the proper medallion class app.  I am really resisting having to buy a new phone because of 1 silly app.

11 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Technically, the Florida law prohibits requiring documentation of vaccine or post infection status.  They are allowed to ask, but not require documentation for confirmation.  Maybe they disabled that vaccine card upload while they work on eliminating that feature for cruises out of Florida.  Who knows??  Princess is doing a crummy job of letting us know what's happening.

What RCI does is make presenting the proof voluntary.

If you choose not to present proof, then you will be considered unvaccinated and:

a) Have to wear a mask almost all the time inside the ship (except for your cabin and when eating/drinking)

b) Have to pay for at least two Covid-tests (around $150 each) unless under 12 years of age

c) Have certain areas of the ship off limits

d) Be limited as to where you can eat meals

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 11:20 PM, barrykel said:

It does seem late, but apparently that's the only choice available for those in this situation. As I've said on other threads, the decision to remove the functionality from the personalizer is one that will probably cost Princess a significant portion of their customer base. 

barrykel;  Princess has told people who have issues with the app and can't get the info to load; will be helped at the port.  If you watched the Aug 2nd Medallion Mondays; the gentleman in the video explains what happens if you don't have all the information completed.  Once you get to port, they will complete the check in process.  On your next Princess Cruise all the info that was input at the port; should be in the medallion class app for your next cruise.  Yes, the app is a work in progress, and I have read you are a software engineer; which is good because you are helping people on these forums when they get frustrated; but I don't think people will no longer sail with Princess because they can't get the app to work the first time.  

9 hours ago, hpeabody said:

I just now gave it good try.  Trying APKPure I did find the updated July 28th version there now.  I got FAILED TO INSTALL with a big X.  I found it (zip file) actually by the developers Global Innovators. But all I get is "There was a problem parsing the package"    I have deleted the useless old version.  So, I am no where with trying to obtain the proper medallion class app.  I am really resisting having to buy a new phone because of 1 silly app.

hpeabody;  watch the medallion Monday Aug 2nd video.  You can watch it on Princess Facebook page, or you tube.  The gentleman explains the entire check in process using the app; and for those who don't have the app or are having issues with the app; they will be taken care of at the port.  Do not worry too much about not being able to get things working on the app.  I know you want to pick dining times, and shore excursions; however, getting onboard the ship is the number 1 priority and Princess tells people in their latest video; they will make sure you get on board for your cruise. 

36 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

barrykel;  Princess has told people who have issues with the app and can't get the info to load; will be helped at the port.  If you watched the Aug 2nd Medallion Mondays; the gentleman in the video explains what happens if you don't have all the information completed.  Once you get to port, they will complete the check in process. 

Did they indicate whether or not the off-line check in at the terminal will have a priority lane for suites, platinum and elite?  Or will it just be this new system of color coded lanes?

40 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

barrykel;  Princess has told people who have issues with the app and can't get the info to load; will be helped at the port.  If you watched the Aug 2nd Medallion Mondays; the gentleman in the video explains what happens if you don't have all the information completed.  Once you get to port, they will complete the check in process.  On your next Princess Cruise all the info that was input at the port; should be in the medallion class app for your next cruise.  Yes, the app is a work in progress, and I have read you are a software engineer; which is good because you are helping people on these forums when they get frustrated; but I don't think people will no longer sail with Princess because they can't get the app to work the first time.  

Well you are incorrect there we have a UK Seacation cruise booked in September and have tried repeatedly and after updates to load on my smartphone or tablet and dont get as far as actually signing in as it keeps on crashing. Even if it did work I dont intend to walk around the ship with a smartphone or tablet  all the time and have to use it for booking restaurant times, show times or ordering drinks so I will definitely NOT be booking any further cruises with Princess. They keep on saying it is a soft launch they should have not released it until they know it was 100% working instead of using their paying customers as guinea pigs.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Well you are incorrect there we have a UK Seacation cruise booked in September and have tried repeatedly and after updates to load on my smartphone or tablet and dont get as far as actually signing in as it keeps on crashing. Even if it did work I dont intend to walk around the ship with a smartphone or tablet  all the time and have to use it for booking restaurant times, show times or ordering drinks so I will definitely NOT be booking any further cruises with Princess. They keep on saying it is a soft launch they should have not released it until they know it was 100% working instead of using their paying customers as guinea pigs.

You don't have to walk around with a smartphone/tablet...all the things you mentioned can be accessed on your cabin TV and at the portals that are located throughout the ship.

You can still walk up to a bar to order a drink.