Alternate Rapid COVID19 Tests -- Abbot's ID Now and NAAT

For what it's worth, I did the ID Now test at my small town Walgreen's this morning and had my results in less than an hour. However, the results only say NAAT and even though I know many places will call it an NAAT/PCR test, Walgreens does not. Since I can test for free at Walgreens or CVS, I'm driving an hour to get to a CVS that offers the rapid antigen test. While I am 99% sure they would accept my test from Walgreens, I figure 2 hours of driving is worth the peace of mind for a test result I absolutely know will be accepted. 

your test at Walgreens is fine and the use of NAAT is described on their site for both PCR and rapid

1. Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material (mRNA) of the virus. The test is performed on-site, and results are available within 24 hours.

20 hours ago, Acruisingperson said:

For what it's worth, I did the ID Now test at my small town Walgreen's this morning and had my results in less than an hour. However, the results only say NAAT and even though I know many places will call it an NAAT/PCR test, Walgreens does not. Since I can test for free at Walgreens or CVS, I'm driving an hour to get to a CVS that offers the rapid antigen test. While I am 99% sure they would accept my test from Walgreens, I figure 2 hours of driving is worth the peace of mind for a test result I absolutely know will be accepted. 

We feel the same way about the two tests and I will be booking at CVS tomorrow when testing opens up for our cruise.  My husband went over to the CVS that we're planning to use a few days ago and a staffer walked him through the process (i.e. where the line is; where the cones are; waiting for results etc.). 

Edited by SherriZ366

From luckyfin's link:

If you follow the link in the FAQ, it will take you to all currently accepted tests.  A quick search brought up Abbot Labs ID NOW for those wondering.

Q

If I need to take an antigen or PCR COVID-19 test before my cruise where should I go? Are there any considerations I need to take when finding the right test provider? How soon do I need results back and where do I submit the results?

A

Should you be required to bring a negative test result to the terminal on boarding day, the COVID-19 test must be a viral test as viral tests are used to look for current infection. Two types of viral tests are accepted: NAAT tests (PCR is a common type of NAAT test) and antigen tests.

Antibody tests will not be accepted. Additionally, home/self-tests will not be accepted unless documentation from a medical professional that they were supervised can be provided.

See a list of the currently accepted tests.

Most local pharmacies offer viral COVID-19 tests and states typically have websites to help you find a convenient testing site.

Some additional things to keep in mind when scheduling your test:

Make sure that your selected provider is able to provide your results in time for your travel. 

For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 3 days before your sail date. How to calculate “3 days before”: The day you set sail is not included as one of the days. So for example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday before. 

Print out your test results if possible to facilitate easy access, as you may need to present them at various points. At the terminal, we will also accept test results presented on your phone, like the results email from your testing provider. It should include your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, badvector said:

From luckyfin's link:

If you follow the link in the FAQ, it will take you to all currently accepted tests.  A quick search brought up Abbot Labs ID NOW for those wondering.

Q

If I need to take an antigen or PCR COVID-19 test before my cruise where should I go? Are there any considerations I need to take when finding the right test provider? How soon do I need results back and where do I submit the results?

A

Should you be required to bring a negative test result to the terminal on boarding day, the COVID-19 test must be a viral test as viral tests are used to look for current infection. Two types of viral tests are accepted: NAAT tests (PCR is a common type of NAAT test) and antigen tests.

Antibody tests will not be accepted. Additionally, home/self-tests will not be accepted unless documentation from a medical professional that they were supervised can be provided.

See a list of the currently accepted tests.

Most local pharmacies offer viral COVID-19 tests and states typically have websites to help you find a convenient testing site.

Some additional things to keep in mind when scheduling your test:

Make sure that your selected provider is able to provide your results in time for your travel. 

For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 3 days before your sail date. How to calculate “3 days before”: The day you set sail is not included as one of the days. So for example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday before. 

Print out your test results if possible to facilitate easy access, as you may need to present them at various points. At the terminal, we will also accept test results presented on your phone, like the results email from your testing provider. It should include your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result.

Interesting; when I go to the link he posted, or via the FAQ, this is the page I get, which has no link to a list of tests (which is on the FDA web site) nor mention of NAAT in the text, or discussion of home tests being OK if monitored when the test is taken (those are very welcome changes, finally). Perhaps there's some staged rollout across servers, though if that's the case, I've not seen that at all before with RCCL web site changes. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

image.thumb.png.6bf927d70fb929504f741895b2e084e6.png

Edited by dswallow

41 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Interesting; when I go to the link he posted, or via the FAQ, this is the page I get, which has no link to a list of tests (which is on the FDA web site) nor mention of NAAT in the text, or discussion of home tests being OK if monitored when the test is taken (those are very welcome changes, finally). Perhaps there's some staged rollout across servers, though if that's the case, I've not seen that at all before with RCCL web site changes. 

If you click the link at the top of the homepage regarding protocols it should take you to the "Healthy Sail Center"

Go to the bottom of that page and there should be a link for "Frequently Asked Questions"

That link will bring up several different requirement sections. Expand the "Testing Requirements" section by clicking on it and you should see two different questions. If you click on the one concerning where to go for a PCR test, it will take you to the quoted answer.

At least that's how I verified it after following the original posted link.  Tried it with Chrome and Edge with the same result.  They make you drill down pretty deep.  

4 minutes ago, badvector said:

If you click the link at the top of the homepage regarding protocols it should take you to the "Healthy Sail Center"

Go to the bottom of that page and there should be a link for "Frequently Asked Questions"

That link will bring up several different requirement sections. Expand the "Testing Requirements" section by clicking on it and you should see two different questions. If you click on the one concerning where to go for a PCR test, it will take you to the quoted answer.

At least that's how I verified it after following the original posted link.  Tried it with Chrome and Edge with the same result.  They make you drill down pretty deep.  

Really, that's what I did. And the image I posted is what I got, and what I see doing it all again right now. Check the URL I posted. See if it's the same when you go to that link

Healthy Sail Center FAQ: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq

Testing Requirement / If I need to take an PCR test before my cruise where should I go? How soon do I need results back and where do I submit the results?: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

We are flying to Amsterdam from Florida and will arrive the early morning the day before the cruise departs. There is no problem bringing a COVID test result with us in regards to the 3 day window. When our cruise returns to Amsterdam in 11 days, we will be deboarding and will not fly back to the US until 3pm the next day . So we will have only one night in a hotel there.I understand at this time, to fly back into the United States you have to have a negative test within three days before entering US.Will RCCL have a means of providing international flight persons Covid tests on the ship before we get off that will produce results before we fly home the next day? Rules seem to be changing every day!  We are vaccinated.

Edited by ilovecruzin
Added

Yup.  Link goes to FDA page at

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics-euas-molecular-diagnostic-tests-sars-cov-2

enter ID Now in search box and it comes up approved.

The Royal FAQ says that pretty much that all NAAT tests are fine, assuming they are on the FDA list.

On 8/4/2021 at 3:32 PM, Acruisingperson said:

Was it as invasive as the PCR test?

9 hours ago, dswallow said:

Really, that's what I did. And the image I posted is what I got, and what I see doing it all again right now. Check the URL I posted. See if it's the same when you go to that link

Healthy Sail Center FAQ: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq

Testing Requirement / If I need to take an PCR test before my cruise where should I go? How soon do I need results back and where do I submit the results?: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Still takes me to what I posted.  Wonder if your ISP caches pages to try to improve speed and it hasn't updated it yet.  That is weird that we are seeing 2 different things.

10 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Do you know how invasive in the Diagnostic Rapid (ID NOW) test?

From what I've read, there are three different collection methods. 

1 - Back of throat (pharynx)

2 - Through the nasal cavity to the nasopharynx (obtrusive - at least in my opinion)

3 - less than one inch into the nasal cavity

I haven't had to get mine yet so I'm just assuming here but if you are doing drive through testing at a drug store, you will probably follow procedure 3.  You could try and call or stop in where you're thinking of going and ask how their procedures work for the test.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, badvector said:

Still takes me to what I posted.  Wonder if your ISP caches pages to try to improve speed and it hasn't updated it yet.  That is weird that we are seeing 2 different things.

This morning all is now updated.  Definitely not ISP caching of any sort; I had tried through my office and on my cell phone while connected to the cell network instead of WiFi. I'll just chalk it up to some sort of Akamai-like media providers behind the scenes that maybe is now being used by Royal Caribbean.

image.thumb.png.f8769cd00a0a2c1a765a2abbf7bacfc7.png

I am on Adventure now. Since we had both NAAT test results from Walgreens and the rapid antigen test from CVS, I decided to conduct an experiment and present my NAAT test and check-in. The woman there didn’t know what it was and was not going to accept it. I didn’t push it since I was able to give her the antigen test results instead. Sure seems like Royal needs to clarify this. I would hope they would accept the NAAT given how difficult it can be to get the rapid antigen test (we had to drive an hour, which is close compared to others I’ve seen on here). Apologies if new information has been posted. The internet is TERRIBLE right now. 

• Thanks 1

They really need to get the information disseminated to the field.  My plan right now is to get the ID Now test as we have no other rapid testing near us.  I've screen captured the FAQ from Royal but the way they keep making changes, who knows.  

As mentioned they've clarified it pretty well, now.

ANY viral test approved by the FDA; that's every NAAT and every Antigen test. Including at-home tests as long as it is a supervised test where they watch the process of taking the sample via video conference and the resulting test result information provides that detail.

Edited by dswallow

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

They do, but the info is not getting to the folks at the terminal - not unexpected in such a fluid situation.

But still sad for those who might get turned away for having one of the other tests (like me possibly)  Yesterday on FB there was a post from someone that messaged Michael Bayley and was told the ID NOW test was okay.  I know that it is not really Bayley answering those but still.  Then there were others that got the scripted answers from Royal only PCR and Antigen are allowed.  Hope it's straightened out in 2 weeks 😇

9 hours ago, molly361 said:

But still sad for those who might get turned away for having one of the other tests (like me possibly)  Yesterday on FB there was a post from someone that messaged Michael Bayley and was told the ID NOW test was okay.  I know that it is not really Bayley answering those but still.  Then there were others that got the scripted answers from Royal only PCR and Antigen are allowed.  Hope it's straightened out in 2 weeks 😇

I emailed Michael Bayley when the testing requirement was put in place for vaccinated passengers and got an answer that only PCR and Antigen are allowed -- maybe later emails are getting an answer that ID NOW will be accepted.