Upgrades/Upsells - Alaska

Syracusefan44

With Princess going out at reduced capacity has anyone received upgrades and/or upsell offers from Princess for the Alaska voyages?  If so how many days before departure did you receive your offer?

My wife and I depart on for Alaska on 8/29 and we have a deluxe obstructed balcony and we’re hoping for an upgrade/upsell offer to a non-obstructed balcony.

we took an upsell from an obstructed balcony to a mini suite for $198 per person on the 9/5/21 sailing.  Received the upsell offer on July 27.  I had emailed them directly with a request to be included in any upsell offers and they replied that they would let me know when the upsells started.  I was pleasantly surprised that they actually did.  You may try emailing them directly  at UpgradeOffer@princesscruises.com   since our cruise is later than yours, the offers may already be active.  

Edited by mina
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, mina said:

we took an upsell from an obstructed balcony to a mini suite for $198 per person on the 9/5/21 sailing.  Received the upsell offer on July 27.  I had emailed them directly with a request to be included in any upsell offers and they replied that they would let me know when the upsells started.  I was pleasantly surprised that they actually did.  You may try emailing them directly  at UpgradeOffer@princesscruises.com   since our cruise is later than yours, the offers may already be active.  

Thank you for the suggestion/information.  I never knew there was an upgrade department at Princess Cruises.

I sent them and received an auto reply that the upgrade department will provide a response within 24 hours.  It can’t hurt to ask.  Thanks again for your help.

1 hour ago, mina said:

we took an upsell from an obstructed balcony to a mini suite for $198 per person on the 9/5/21 sailing.  You may try emailing them directly  at UpgradeOffer@princesscruises.com   since our cruise is later than yours, the offers may already be active.  

Aloha and Thanks

I have emailed them today for our 8-8-21 Alaska cruise. They quit selling this cruise two weeks ago when they hit 80% capacity. We will see.

1 hour ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Thank you for the suggestion/information.  I never knew there was an upgrade department at Princess Cruises.

I sent them and received an auto reply that the upgrade department will provide a response within 24 hours.  It can’t hurt to ask.  Thanks again for your help.

Yep, they are kinda secretive.  This is the first time they responded to me when I had not yet received the upgrade email.  I imagine as they get busier they will not be able to be as responsive, but I totally appreciate that they were.  

Edited by mina

I'm waiting for my cabin assignment for my guarantee booking for the August 22 cruise. I'm hoping that if there are other available cabins in my cabin's category that I'll be able to switch if I want to. I switched my cabin on my last cruise because my assignment was to one of the quad cabins with the upper berth that jut out from the walls. Nevertheless, I'll just be glad to be back on a ship after 20 months.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mina said:

Yep, they are kinda secretive.  This is the first time they responded to me when I had not yet received the upgrade email.  I imagine as they get busier they will not be able to be as responsive, but I totally appreciate that they were.  

They replied to me with a list of mini suites and we took the same offer to upgrade from an obstructed balcony to a mini suite. It’s our first time in a mini suite!! Thanks again. 

• Like 2

They replied to me with a list of mini suites and we took the same offer to upgrade from an obstructed balcony to a mini suite. It’s our first time in a mini suite!! Thanks again. 

They replied to me as well but it was $159 pp to upgrade from a deluxe balcony obstructed to the mini-suite and the cabins were on the Emerald Deck.  I couldn't decide, I'm currently on the Lido deck and like be higher up on the ship so don't think I'm going to make the move.  

I had my booking marked 'no upgrade' as I'm in E425 which is listed as obstructed but it isn't. It's over a store (normally quiet in the evening) so I passed. Yes I received an upsell offer and passed on that too. 

You might want to research your room to find out if you are actually looking down on the top of a tender or not

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Majestic-Princess&deck=8

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

Excellent, the extra room is nice, especially in the bathroom!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mina said:

You may try emailing them directly  at UpgradeOffer@princesscruises.com

Is this something new or has this email address / process been operable for a while?  In the past we pretty much got upsells offers for every cruise and we took advantage of most of them.  We didn't see any for our cruise next Sunday but I wasn't sure if the process changed post-Covid.  Will definitely save this address for the future - thanks for sharing!

1 minute ago, azbirdmom said:

Is this something new or has this email address / process been operable for a while?  In the past we pretty much got upsells offers for every cruise and we took advantage of most of them.  We didn't see any for our cruise next Sunday but I wasn't sure if the process changed post-Covid.  Will definitely save this address for the future - thanks for sharing!

It’s been a while since I have done an upsell.  In the distant past there was a number to call and leave a message.  Someone shared their upsell Offer email on one of the roll calls and it read to respond to the email with your interest and they would respond.   So I emailed them and they responded.  I used to always get the offers as well, but I did not this go. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mina said:

It’s been a while since I have done an upsell.  In the distant past there was a number to call and leave a message.  Someone shared their upsell Offer email on one of the roll calls and it read to respond to the email with your interest and they would respond.   So I emailed them and they responded.  I used to always get the offers as well, but I did not this go. 

Thanks for the response.  The upsell offers used to come from a generic reservations@pricesscruises.com email address and they were handled by all different people in yield management who were assigned to 2 - 3 ships each.  That's the way Meet & Greets were handled too and they went to one email for all.  So it seems like they may have just consolidated this process to a single email address now.  Very interesting and thanks again for sharing!  You've made at least one person a happy camper (make that cruiser) today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are on the 8/8 sailing. We got an upgrade offer from Princess on 7/29. I had a hard time deciding. We had a balcony on Lido deck originally (we have always been on Lido deck amd love it up there!) and the mini suite is on Emerald deck. We ended up taking the upgrade ($119 per person) and figure it’ll be nice to see what a mini suite is like and we will also know for the future if we really want to keep booking on Lido deck! We are excited for the extra room of the mini suite!

• Like 2

I sent an email this afternoon and got a very quick response with offers to move from my inside to a balcony or deluxe balcony with about a dozen cabins listed for each. Still higher than I wanted to pay so will stick with my original cabin. A balcony would have been nice but its hard to justify the cost when you are travelling single and have to pay twice.

The reason people hardly ever get free upgrades anymore is that passengers are willing to pay for what used to be free as shown in this thread where people ask Princess to let them pay more for what used to be free.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

The reason people hardly ever get free upgrades anymore is that passengers are willing to pay for what used to be free as shown in this thread where people ask Princess to let them pay more for what used to be free.

I did not ask Princess to please let me pay more for a stateroom. My wife and I were in an obstructed balcony with steel instead of glass which would prevent us from seeing anything when sitting in a chair outside.

I decided to reach out out to Princess so my wife and I would have a more enjoyable cruise in a better balcony stateroom. In my opinion Princess offered me a great deal paying them $159 more per person or $1379 for a mini suite that is currently being sold for $1899.

Sorry but I am not willing to wait for Princess will send me an email from Princess offering me a FREE upgrade (which has not happened in the past 20 years) when I can pay a few dollars for a much better stateroom.

Edited by Syracusefan44
Removed a sentence.
  • Like 5

We've never contacted the cruise-line to inquire about an upgrade/upsell but have received a couple email offers in the past (Not from Princess) so I just now sent an email to our PVP and she is on vacation!  Ha!  Wonder if she is on a cruise!! 

22 hours ago, jbhermes said:

We are on the 8/8 sailing. We got an upgrade offer from Princess on 7/29. I had a hard time deciding. We had a balcony on Lido deck originally (we have always been on Lido deck amd love it up there!) and the mini suite is on Emerald deck. We ended up taking the upgrade ($119 per person) and figure it’ll be nice to see what a mini suite is like and we will also know for the future if we really want to keep booking on Lido deck! We are excited for the extra room of the mini suite!

Do you have to have Purchased your cruise from Princess to get the email offer?  

Hi -

I booked on the 8/15 Majestic Alaskan cruise.  I received an emailed upsell offer on 7/12 to go from Deck 8, (Emerald) midship obstructed balcony to Marina mid-aft.  They did not give me a choice of cabins.  The offer was for $199 x 2 since I am cruising solo.  I ended up not taking the offer.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:29 PM, Ombud said:

I had my booking marked 'no upgrade' as I'm in E425 which is listed as obstructed but it isn't. It's over a store (normally quiet in the evening) so I passed. Yes I received an upsell offer and passed on that too. 

You might want to research your room to find out if you are actually looking down on the top of a tender or not

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Majestic-Princess&deck=8

please disregard,  senior moment.  (posted to wrong thread, and it won't let me delete)

Edited by tutuwahineLV