Specialty Dining Package Dress Code

6 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Well, since I have a college degree in Clothing and Textiles, and over 50 years actual life experience wearing skirts and blouses, I think I have a solid grasp of women’s clothing that most likely exceeds yours.  I also have three daughters in their 20’s so am cognizant of younger trends as well.  I’m going to guess, that the subsection of women that are scantily clad are catching more of your attention than the majority that wear more mainstream options.

Since this is all in good nature let me just state that I’m not that guy staring at a bunch of women all the time. But I do notice things including clothes.  I’m also sure you know more about women’s clothes than me.   However, none of these make me incapable of knowing what a blouse is or understanding the difference between shorts and a skirt.  

I have a daughter and a wife and I’m asked all the time how things look on them.  I guess my degree in clothing is from the school of hard knocks given that (hope you get that joke).  

With maybe 1 exception, i wore "dressy" golf shorts, linen shirts or silk "hawaiian" shirts and deck shoes to every specialty restaurant we dined in.  I think I wore linen pants to Chops or Wonderland one night, but not the second night at Wonderland.   I did see men in shorts and Tees in all.  BTW we never ate once in the MDR so I can't opine on the dress code there.

I do travel with a blazer when cruising on Carnival because DW likes the Elegant nights in their MDRs.  But never on RCCL.

14 hours ago, cruise luvr said:

How dressy do you get for the Specialty Restaurants?  My husband wears shorts year round and really hates pants.  He will adhere to what he needs to.  However, if he could wear nice shorts and a button down shirt that would be preferable.  

I wear bermudas and a polo to every specialty restaurant. Those restaurants which specially call out for dress code, I wear a pair of slacks, short sleeve button-up shirt and sandals or sneakers whatever I brought.

Edited by coldflame

7 hours ago, topnole said:

Since this is all in good nature let me just state that I’m not that guy staring at a bunch of women all the time. But I do notice things including clothes.  I’m also sure you know more about women’s clothes than me.   However, none of these make me incapable of knowing what a blouse is or understanding the difference between shorts and a skirt.  

I have a daughter and a wife and I’m asked all the time how things look on them.  I guess my degree in clothing is from the school of hard knocks given that (hope you get that joke).  

Your initial comment came across to me, and I think at least a couple of others, as essentially saying a woman in a blouse and skirt is comparable (and showing more skin) to shorts and a tee.  I’m sure you didn’t mean to be offensive but it was far too broad and belittling a statement IMO,  not to correct with a woman’s viewpoint.  I guess one of those hard knocks experiences you mentioned.  

My last few cruises (pre-Covid) were on Harmony and Allure.  In Chops and 150 men did wear long pants on non-formal nights. Many of the men wore golf shirts or a shirt with a collar.

On formal nights, many men were dressed in jackets/suits/ties in 150 and in Chops, pants and dress shirts with or without ties.  In Jamie's most nights, shorts were worn with collared shirts.  A few times shorts and tee shirts were worn by large groups, but that was not the norm.

I think 150 is probably the most formal restaurant on the ships and it seemed as though women dressed up more in that restaurant as well.

11 hours ago, topnole said:

A skort or culottes would be a better comparison to shorts but how about the men who wear kilts on formal night?  Does it really matter in the end if I wear shorts or a kilt since all of the legs exposed will be under the table? I get your point. Women's formal apparel can be much more comfortable than a man's suit and tie.  The second formal night on a caribbean cruise usually finds women in one of the island tie dyed caftans. They go from beach to MDR by swapping out the puka shells with pearls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Your initial comment came across to me, and I think at least a couple of others, as essentially saying a woman in a blouse and skirt is comparable (and showing more skin) to shorts and a tee.  I’m sure you didn’t mean to be offensive but it was far too broad and belittling a statement IMO,  not to correct with a woman’s viewpoint.  I guess one of those hard knocks experiences you mentioned.  

I don’t know how that could be belittling or offensive in any way.  If anyone or thing could possibly be offended it could only be a blouse or skirt since I compared them to shorts and a tee.  But they are lifeless inanimate objects so I feel ok making that comparison in jest.  Have we come so far that comparisons such as that offend people?

My entire point is that people should wear what they want so long as it covers up things that shorts, shoes, and a shirt cover.  Also, all of my posts were half in jest.  

As you surely know, many women purposely choose to show off a lot of their body while others are more modest.  That is on full display on every cruise.  I would find it impossible to generalize the view of women.  Every women is different and I would never assume a person views things a certain way only based on gender. Not all women see it like you do and you don’t see it like all women.  The same applies to men.  

Cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Sauce dear, what’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.  😁

I do realize this is true in the UK.  Not in America.  Note my use of the z and not an s.  Variety makes the world a better place.  

Cheers.  

dress policies were not really intended to be "you must cover this portion of your body" anyway.  It was more about how nicely you were attired for lack of a better phrase.  So although I agree that skirts generally cover more than shorts and blouses more than t shirts, that's not really the point.

59 minutes ago, dahirsh said:

dress policies were not really intended to be "you must cover this portion of your body" anyway.  It was more about how nicely you were attired for lack of a better phrase.  So although I agree that skirts generally cover more than shorts and blouses more than t shirts, that's not really the point.

Totally agree.   Of course if I wear an old blue blazer, pants with an elastic band with clip on suspenders, a button up where my belly shows in between buttons, a tie that is 3 inches short of my belly button, and orthodic shoes I am following the formal dress code.  I see this all the time on every cruise.  

It is hard to regulate style and fashion.  It always changes and what looks appropriate to some seems silly to others.  I say live and let live.  Too many other things to worry about in this world. I’ll enjoy my dinner and drinks no matter how others dress.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, katiel53 said:

My last few cruises (pre-Covid) were on Harmony and Allure.  In Chops and 150 men did wear long pants on non-formal nights. Many of the men wore golf shirts or a shirt with a collar.

On formal nights, many men were dressed in jackets/suits/ties in 150 and in Chops, pants and dress shirts with or without ties.  In Jamie's most nights, shorts were worn with collared shirts.  A few times shorts and tee shirts were worn by large groups, but that was not the norm.

I think 150 is probably the most formal restaurant on the ships and it seemed as though women dressed up more in that restaurant as well.

Agree.  I think most men wear slacks but shorts are certainly prevalent.  I can’t recall that well, I think suits at 150 were mostly just on formal nights.  I’ve seen shorts in 150 on non formal nights.  

I’m sure code enforcement is based partially on demand.   When booked up they can be more strict.   When they need more business, they’d probably let you come straight from the pool.  😂

2 hours ago, topnole said:

I don’t know how that could be belittling or offensive in any way.  If anyone or thing could possibly be offended it could only be a blouse or skirt since I compared them to shorts and a tee.  But they are lifeless inanimate objects so I feel ok making that comparison in jest.  Have we come so far that comparisons such as that offend people?

My entire point is that people should wear what they want so long as it covers up things that shorts, shoes, and a shirt cover.  Also, all of my posts were half in jest.  

As you surely know, many women purposely choose to show off a lot of their body while others are more modest.  That is on full display on every cruise.  I would find it impossible to generalize the view of women.  Every women is different and I would never assume a person views things a certain way only based on gender. Not all women see it like you do and you don’t see it like all women.  The same applies to men.  

Cheers

The fact that you don’t see how is kind of the point of my responses to you.  

12 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

The fact that you don’t see how is kind of the point of my responses to you.  

The fact that you could be offended by comments comparing shorts and shirts to skirts and blouses says way more about you than me.  I was literally comparing lifeless objects.   Why in the world would someone feel belittled or offended by a random strangers opinion on such a thing?   This makes zero sense to me and I’m certainly not going to stop comparing inanimate objects (mainly in jest) for fear of offending others.  

Enjoy your next cruise.  I’m quite certain we won’t be sharing any laughs together in the future, but I wish you well all the same.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, topnole said:

The fact that you could be offended by comments comparing shorts and shirts to skirts and blouses says way more about you than me.  I was literally comparing lifeless objects.   Why in the world would someone feel belittled or offended by a random strangers opinion on such a thing?   This makes zero sense to me and I’m certainly not going to stop comparing inanimate objects (mainly in jest) for fear of offending others.  

Enjoy your next cruise.  I’m quite certain we won’t be sharing any laughs together in the future, but I wish you well all the same.  

As a man, you have zero real life understanding of how women are objectified and judged by attire.  It’s boggling to me that you are that oblivious as to how your comments could be perceived.  Why would a woman be offended?  That you have to ask speaks VOLUMES about who you are 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

As a man, you have zero real life understanding of how women are objectified and judged by attire.  It’s boggling to me that you are that oblivious as to how your comments could be perceived.  Why would a woman be offended?  That you have to ask speaks VOLUMES about who you are 

Seriously?  As a woman, I find it more telling that you’ve felt “objectified and judged by attire.”  They’re clothes.  People will judge you no matter what you wear.  Wear what you want and own it.  Life’s too short to worry about what other people think. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

You have zero knowledge of what I understand or have experienced.  So please stop pretending so. 

I get it, your offended.  I didn’t objectify anything other than objects such as shorts, skirts, etc., which in this woke world are still ok to objectify as far as I know.  I’m not clueless or an idiot, but I’m also not going to pretend that it is rational for a stranger to be offended by any of my comments.  I didn’t say one thing that is offensive.  I was discussing clothing in general. I never once mentioned your clothing or any particular women’s clothing.  Just general types of clothing.  

It was you consistently claiming that your an expert and I’m not.  I’m not offended. You can say whatever you want about me.  What do I care.  But if any comments were out of line, they certainly weren’t mine.  Whatever your past experiences are certainly don’t preclude me from making in-jest comments about clothing differences and my words in this thread have nothing to do with men objectifying women.  They have to do with men also wearing comfortable clothing.  Any assertion is one seeking out what they want to hear.  

Seriously, lighten up.  Life is too short to be offended by light hearted comments on shirts vs skirts on an Internet forum about cruising.  This whole back and forth is quite ridiculous to be honest.  So with that I’ll end it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

You have zero knowledge of what I understand or have experienced.  So please stop pretending so. 

I get it, your offended.  I didn’t objectify anything other than objects such as shorts, skirts, etc., which in this woke world are still ok to objectify as far as I know.  I’m not clueless or an idiot, but I’m also not going to pretend that it is rational for a stranger to be offended by any of my comments.  I didn’t say one thing that is offensive.  I was discussing clothing in general. I never once mentioned your clothing or any particular women’s clothing.  Just general types of clothing.  

It was you consistently claiming that your an expert and I’m not.  I’m not offended. You can say whatever you want about me.  What do I care.  But if any comments were out of line, they certainly weren’t mine.  Whatever your past experiences are certainly don’t preclude me from making in-jest comments about clothing differences and my words in this thread have nothing to do with men objectifying women.  They have to do with men also wearing comfortable clothing.  Any assertion is one seeking out what they want to hear.  

Seriously, lighten up.  Life is too short to be offended by light hearted comments on shirts vs skirts on an Internet forum about cruising.  This whole back and forth is quite ridiculous to be honest.  So with that I’ll end it.  

I’m not even going to bother reading your long winded response.  No doubt it just continues the same arrogant, condescending attitude you started with.  Time to put you on ignore, because it is obvious that you aren’t capable of a self evaluation.  Which is surprising given your early comments stating your qualifications of age and college experience 

Edited by 3kidsncats

2 hours ago, Jkaczanowski said:

Seriously?  As a woman, I find it more telling that you’ve felt “objectified and judged by attire.”  They’re clothes.  People will judge you no matter what you wear.  Wear what you want and own it.  Life’s too short to worry about what other people think. 

I did not say I am objectified and judged, I said women are — nor did I say I chose what I wear based on others opinions.   Congratulations if you have never experienced cat calls, and whistles while walking down the street normally attired or any of the other various ways women are pushed down.  Good for you if you feel solidarity with a man who thinks it’s ok to equate normal women’s clothing with being somehow dressed in skimpy shorts and revealing tops, who thinks it’s ok to try to condescend to others by his erroneously perceived virtue of older age and college experience.  I am personally not interested in putting up with it, but you do you. 

wait, this is still going on?  A debate on clothing again?  This is so exciting.  As I always say, if you want to look a certain way, than people will judge you.  Seriously, I judge everyone that feels that they don't want to make any effort to look nice......and that means dressing like an adult.....and yet, my statement will now be judged, picked apart, and I will be insulted, and called names.....but that's ok.  I'm still wearing my dollar store flipflops, because they look nice still after wearing them a year, and my hairy armpits are trimmed for when I wear my sleeveless t's. That's the formal dress, right?  So no matter what is said on these boards, most will dress in such a way, no one notices, and a few, mostly those that argue here, will do what they want anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s so simple. Wear what makes you happy and let others think what they want.  (At least at places that don’t have an enforced dress code). Life is too short. 

Edited by cindivan
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

The real question is; Should you tip more when you are wearing pants or shorts?

(of course, this is for those that tip)

🤡

You should tip more if wearing shorts.  But since that supposedly means you’d be a degenerate, you likely couldn’t tip more or even know you should tip the coastal kitchen server.  🤭