Specialty Dining Package Dress Code

How dressy do you get for the Specialty Restaurants?  My husband wears shorts year round and really hates pants.  He will adhere to what he needs to.  However, if he could wear nice shorts and a button down shirt that would be preferable.  

18 minutes ago, cruise luvr said:

How dressy do you get for the Specialty Restaurants?  My husband wears shorts year round and really hates pants.  He will adhere to what he needs to.  However, if he could wear nice shorts and a button down shirt that would be preferable.  

Pretty much what I wear through the whole cruise.  Maybe a nice pair of pants for 150 Central park.  That's it for me.  Its your vacation be comfortable.  There was a time years ago I would have never said that but times have changed.  We may start seeing bathrobes in the main dining room if we continue the way things are going.

• Like 5

It depends on the ship and the staff at the specialty restaurant.

My hubby has worn a nice pair of shorts and nice shirt a couple of times - no problem.  But, he usually wears chinos and a nice shirt to these restaurants.

On one cruise, my brother in law was turned away wearing shorts - but they were well worn shorts and the top was a nice tshirt - lol!

Let him dress as he chooses - worst scenario would be that he needs to go back to your room to change.

24 minutes ago, cruise luvr said:

Not that regimented anymore.  Last cruise on Symphony there were shorts in Specialty as well as in MDR on formal night.  If you are talking a Caribbean cruise then even more so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruise luvr said:

I’m on the ovation right now and it clearly says no shorts except for at lunchtime

Just now, Biker19 said:

Most ships have that sign; the question is: do they enforce it?

Hopefully.   It really is inappropriate to wear a hat, a T-shirt, shorts or any one of a number of other things into a dining room

Edited by ericfromri
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

Hopefully.   It really is inappropriate to wear a hat, a T-shirt, shorts or any one of a number of other things into a dining room

Shorts are fine in the MDR for every meal,  including "formal night". Times are changing and the cruise line is evolving to the desires of the contemporary cruiser, else suffer the fate of the dinosaurs. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ericfromri said:

Why would a nice pair of shorts be inappropriate to wear in a dining room when in the Caribbean?   Shorts are the norm all over hot weather regions and are quite normal on cruise nowadays.  

Plus, women wear what are essentially shorts, t-shirts, and flop flops every night.  They just call it a skirt, blouse, and sandals.   What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.  

Bottom line is that styles and norms change.  Half of men in the corporate world hardly own more than a tie or two.  Things are more casual now so you are going to see shorts.  

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, topnole said:

Why would a nice pair of shorts be inappropriate to wear in a dining room when in the Caribbean?   Shorts are the norm all over hot weather regions and are quite normal on cruise nowadays.  

Plus, women wear what are essentially shorts, t-shirts, and flop flops every night.  They just call it a skirt, blouse, and sandals.   What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.  

Bottom line is that styles and norms change.  Half of men in the corporate world hardly own more than a tie or two.  Things are more casual now so you are going to see shorts.  

Now that I am retired I wear shorts all the time unless I’m going out to a nice restaurant for dinner.   We get the unlimited dining package and I wear shorts for lunch, but slacks and a nice shirt for dinner.  

Do what fits you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topnole said:

I don't care what you wear.

I don't care what anyone wears.

But a skirt is NOT shorts.

A blouse is NOT a t-shirt.

Sandals are NOT flip-flops.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I don't care what you wear.

I don't care what anyone wears.

But a skirt is NOT shorts.

A blouse is NOT a t-shirt.

Sandals are NOT flip-flops.

Technically you are correct.  But shorts actually cover more than a skirt.  A tee usually covers more than a blouse, and many women’s shoes cover the feet about as much as flip flops.  Indeed my wife owns some that flip flops that are quite fancy and they pretty much look the same as some other small heels she wears.  So my point is why are shorts and a tee so bad?   Style preference is personal and on a cruise who cares if you cover up the essentials.  

I’ve seen a lot of women who I think are trying to dress nicely and quite frankly they look like they bought their clothes in the 1970-80 eras.  I don’t care what they look like.  Who am I to judge others.  If someone wears shorts on vacation why should you or I care.  

So I agree with you.  Live and let live.  We are not talking about tank tops or bikinis in a restaurant.  Nice shorts are a norm for men at dinner now, and just like zoom meetings, that is here to stay.  

For the record, I typically wear slacks to dinner at a specialty restaurant.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, topnole said:

For the past year and a half people have been working at home in their pajamas. Let's hope that someone doesn't show up in the MDR in boxer shorts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, topnole said:

Technically you are correct.  But shorts actually cover more than a skirt.  A tee usually covers more than a blouse, and many women’s shoes cover the feet about as much as flip flops.  Indeed my wife owns some that flip flops that are quite fancy and they pretty much look the same as some other small heels she wears.  So my point is why are shorts and a tee so bad?   Style preference is personal and on a cruise who cares if you cover up the essentials.  

I’ve seen a lot of women who I think are trying to dress nicely and quite frankly they look like they bought their clothes in the 1970-80 eras.  I don’t care what they look like.  Who am I to judge others.  If someone wears shorts on vacation why should you or I care.  

So I agree with you.  Live and let live.  We are not talking about tank tops or bikinis in a restaurant.  Nice shorts are a norm for men at dinner now, and just like zoom meetings, that is here to stay.  

Um, as a woman who has worn many more skirts and blouses than I’m guessing you have, unless you are talking ultra minis, skirts quite often cover more than shorts, and your blouse comment is even further off.  

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, topnole said:

Only a mini skirt would be smaller than shorts
I have no idea what blouse would be less than a T-Shirt (None that I have seen) 
As for the shoes covering the same as a flip-flop, do you want the woman to wear combat boots instead? 

3 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Um, as a woman who has worn many more skirts and blouses than I’m guessing you have, unless you are talking ultra minis, skirts quite often cover more than shorts, and your blouse comment is even further off.  

Yes you have surely worn more skirts than me but….  Ok I’ll stay dignified.  But I hazard to guess I may have seen just as many or more.  I did spend many years in school and college.  😂😂

And even supposedly professional attire blouses can be quite risqué these days.  Certainly with the younger women.  

Men shorts pretty much go down to just above the knee.  My wives skirts are not ultra mini and they certainly involve less coverage than my shorts.  

Hey, I’m no fashion expert, but I’m no slouch either.   Even though I’m a guy, I have a little sense of my surroundings.   

Cheers.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

Only a mini skirt would be smaller than shorts
I have no idea what blouse would be less than a T-Shirt (None that I have seen) 
As for the shoes covering the same as a flip-flop, do you want the woman to wear combat boots instead? 

Not at all, but if they wear combat boots I don’t care.   Just saying why worry if a man wears something similar to a typical women’s shoe.  

Sorry, but I see many short sleeve blouses all the time.  It is normal in Florida and quite honestly I’m surprised what some women wear in a professional setting. A tee shirt definitely covers more than some of these.   Long sleeve would be different I suppose.  

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

Not at all, but if they wear combat boots I don’t care.   Just saying why worry if a man wears something similar to a typical women’s shoe.  

Sorry, but I see many short sleeve blouses all the time.  It is normal in Florida and quite honestly I’m surprised what some women wear in a professional setting. A tee shirt definitely covers more than some of these.   Long sleeve would be different I suppose.  

Maybe my idea of a skirt and blouse is a tad old fashion. Or we may have some clothing wording differences...
When I was younger I wore some clothes that were appropriate for a night club, but I wouldn't be caught dead in a nice restaurant or a court room wearing them. 

Now that I am older I don't think I would want to be caught dead in what I wore to night clubs, but I would still wear what I wore to dinner 🙂

5 hours ago, cruise luvr said:

I wear shorts any time I can. To me, it depends on the cruise. I'd have no problem on a Hawaiian, Caribbean and Mexican Riviera cruise wearing shorts in the Specialty dining, except on formal nights. On a European or Asian cruise I'd probably wear long chinos or khaki pants.

1 hour ago, topnole said:

Yes you have surely worn more skirts than me but….  Ok I’ll stay dignified.  But I hazard to guess I may have seen just as many or more.  I did spend many years in school and college.  😂😂

And even supposedly professional attire blouses can be quite risqué these days.  Certainly with the younger women.  

Men shorts pretty much go down to just above the knee.  My wives skirts are not ultra mini and they certainly involve less coverage than my shorts.  

Hey, I’m no fashion expert, but I’m no slouch either.   Even though I’m a guy, I have a little sense of my surroundings.   

Cheers.  

Well, since I have a college degree in Clothing and Textiles, and over 50 years actual life experience wearing skirts and blouses, I think I have a solid grasp of women’s clothing that most likely exceeds yours.  I also have three daughters in their 20’s so am cognizant of younger trends as well.  I’m going to guess, that the subsection of women that are scantily clad are catching more of your attention than the majority that wear more mainstream options.

• Like 6