Vista Passenger reporting + covid cases/immediate masking

ScottsSweetie

2 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Wow that's crazy... airplane is likely worse.

I am not justifying what they did, maybe better or maybe worse, but the trade off is 2 hours on the flight vs. 2 days on the ship, take your choice.  And only a few did this, most continued on board but with masks required inside.

6 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

I am not justifying what they did, maybe better or maybe worse, but the trade off is 2 hours on the flight vs. 2 days on the ship, take your choice.  And only a few did this, most continued on board but with masks required inside.

Leaving Cozumel requires a covid test to fly, a positive would take a lot longer to get home, that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Leaving Cozumel requires a covid test to fly, a positive would take a lot longer to get home, that's for sure.

At the risk of speaking for people I do not know I would guess their concern was catching COVID on the ship during the return.  At any rate, good or bad, that is what some opted to do per the TV report.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

FWIW I offer the following.  Channel 2 Houston, had a TV crew at the Galveston dock when the Vista arrived and interviewed various pax.  No one knew what was done with the COVID positive so they were likely taken off the ship behind the scenes.  However per the TV report some pax were shaken up by the news and decided to get off the ship in Cozumel flying home from there instead of continuing on the ship.

Yep, the covites likely took a different exit from the uninfected.

That's just ridiculous to fly back from Cozumel. If nothing else stay in your cabin and order room service. If there really was a notable outbreak, I'd don a N95 and venture out to fetch food and beverage and sit on the balcony looking at the sea go by.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

The people who tested positive remained in isolation on the ship. We don’t know what happened to them once they reached Galveston. The question is whether they were allowed to drive themselves home if they had their own car at the port or if they were required to quarantine first.

Anyone who flew to the cruise would have to quarantine before being allowed to fly home.

Apparently the reporter did not ask about those who tested positive. 

18 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

The reporter spoke with various pax at the dock and they would not have known what CCL did with those that tested positive.

Likely not, but the reporter did not try to find someone in a position to know. It is an important point of interest for his story because people in his audience might be wondering just as we are.

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

Likely not, but the reporter did not try to find someone in a position to know. It is an important point of interest for his story because people in his audience might be wondering just as we are.

If he was really interested he would have hung around to see Carnival sneak them off the ship after everyone else had debarked...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

From all the posts her it seems  carnival is doing a poor job with their COVID reboot. Seem like royal/celebrity have plans and are implementing them well with safety being the top priority for the restart greater than profits. I have a feeling this will be a good model with getting all their ships back to where they need them and getting the confidence of the people who want safe and reliable cruising. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A few, mostly on-topic quickie thoughts:

• I enjoy the occasional off-topic thought, but IMHO this particular thread had gone seriously off the rails and could use some pruning
  • People leaving the ship in Cozumel because of a few cases seems awfully rash
  • I'll interpret the fact that the Vista successfully turned around in a single day as good news
  • Channel 2 interview:  
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

A few, mostly on-topic quickie thoughts:

• I enjoy the occasional off-topic thought, but IMHO this particular thread had gone seriously off the rails and could use some pruning
  • I'll interpret the fact that the Vista successfully turned around in a single day as good news
  • Channel 2 interview:  

Lol he kept calling the ship the VEE sta, someone needs to tell that reporter how to pronounce the name of the ship.

So one pax said people got off and flew home from cozumel, and that's enough to verify it happened. Lol

Interesting.  

11 hours ago, Babr said:

Assuming that insurance will deny the claim is conjecture on your part. If someone tests positive and is ordered to quarantine, with or without symptoms, that is enough to qualify for benefits. The insurance company can’t tell them they should have done something else at that point

You have never filed a claim with an insurance company before I see. The #1 job of an insurance company is to deny, delay, and extend as long as possible before paying out. Even if they are legally obligated from the contract to payout, they still will delay as long as possible even up to the point of a lawsuit. It doesn't cost them anything to delay as long as possible. There is a large percentage of people that just give up fighting. 

7 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:
  • Channel 2 interview:  

The folks that supposedly left the ship in Cozumel could have possibly done so due to the mask mandate, not particularly due to positive cases?

15 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

and we know specifically that covid is the reason? 

The reason for what?

This thread is specifically to discuss the 4 positive pax and 1 positive crew. Some of us will be on vista and want to know what to expect should we have positives or worse test positive ourselves. We want to know specifically how carnival handles positives mid cruise. Carnival is being vague. My rcl groups are pointing to this and saying carnival is not being transparent and worse. Hiding the information of positives and posted the Houston news that carnival cannot provide the number of positives. ..yes the news from houston said carnival cannot provide it .. though it's more would not. People are getting the numbers which conflict from people on the ship. Carnival said a small number and will not say how many cases tested positive. Rcl groups say see see, we are upfront, carnival is hiding the information, what are they hiding ... more positives on other sailings. 

I dont have John's official statement, very vague, says carnival is handling a small outbreak. The other lines are saying what is going on but carnival is not, and people say why would you go on carnival without knowing what carnival is encountering? 

Idk we have the right to know, but rumors are the way to go to me. And rumors are out there.

Edited by firefly333

41 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The reason for what?

This thread is specifically to discuss the 4 positive pax and 1 positive crew. Some of us will be on vista and want to know what to expect should we have positives or worse test positive ourselves. We want to know specifically how carnival handles positives mid cruise. Carnival is being vague. My rcl groups are pointing to this and saying carnival is not being transparent and worse. Hiding the information of positives and posted the Houston news that carnival cannot provide the number of positives. ..yes the news from houston said carnival cannot provide it .. though it's more would not. People are getting the numbers which conflict from people on the ship. Carnival said a small number and will not say how many cases tested positive. Rcl groups say see see, we are upfront, carnival is hiding the information, what are they hiding ... more positives on other sailings. 

I dont have John's official statement, very vague, says carnival is handling a small outbreak. The other lines are saying what is going on but carnival is not, and people say why would you go on carnival without knowing what carnival is encountering? 

Idk we have the right to know, but rumors are the way to go to me. And rumors are out there.

Carnival is doing a poor job at this covid stuff and the PR is atrocious. 
The need to get this under control before they hurt someone - 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think they don't know what to do. If they do give full information, they probably think they're going to scare some people. If they hold back, some people would be suspect.

It's the same thing that states are dealing with. Some are very open with numbers, others have their heads in the sand.

I expect them to continue with the limited info (need-to-know) approach and attempt to walk the line. I can't say I blame them.

Tom

• Like 1

If the number exceeded the threshold, you would most certainly know from the cruise ship color site many follow.  None have exceeded the threshold, so that should it is a small number.  As far as how it is handled, we know their protocol.  Nobody has come to say it wasn't followed.  Even though Deweytrader got the wrong phone numbers with her Breeze experience, basically the protocol was followed.  Nobody is going to get personal information unless it is volunteered by the individuals involved, and apparently their privacy is being respected.

I am not arguing, I am trying to understand from a company standpoint.

Has Covid been confirmed or is it speculation?

If I was CCL, I would stay mum as well. You may think it's best to speak on everything, but you can't and you certainly can't address every rumor, you'd create even more panic.

Anything CCL says is magnified many fold in the media, creating more fear.

We are a tiny fractional minority of their present and future pax, not every pax reads this place, so any comment will freak out those unfamiliar.

CCL would create more panic by addressing this, especially if a rumor.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

If the number exceeded the threshold, you would most certainly know from the cruise ship color site many follow.  None have exceeded the threshold, so that should it is a small number.  As far as how it is handled, we know their protocol.  Nobody has come to say it wasn't followed.  Even though Deweytrader got the wrong phone numbers with her Breeze experience, basically the protocol was followed.  Nobody is going to get personal information unless it is volunteered by the individuals involved, and apparently their privacy is being respected.

One of the news articles said the 3 pax and crew positives hit the threshold for investigation. News said specifically the threshold was hit. I can try and google the news media language. 

The 3 pax mentioned now has a thread closed on my roll call after people said well that means 3 pax where another source said 4. 

Ok just to give a source ... here it says carnival did hit the threshold ..

20210808_100547.jpg

12 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

I am not arguing, I am trying to understand from a company standpoint.

Has Covid been confirmed or is it speculation?

If I was CCL, I would stay mum as well. You may think it's best to speak on everything, but you can't and you certainly can't address every rumor, you'd create even more panic.

Anything CCL says is magnified many fold in the media, creating more fear.

We are a tiny fractional minority of their present and future pax, not every pax reads this place, so any comment will freak out those unfamiliar.

CCL would create more panic by addressing this, especially if a rumor.

Yes its confirmed. John heald gave the official statement carnival is handling a small outbreak of covid.

No numbers. Saying a small outbreak sounds worse to me when the news picks it up and makes it sound worse. 

• Thanks 1

Here is an interesting thought...... I just returned from a wonderful Alaska cruise on Princess. There are other ships sailing other than Princess and all passengers must be vaccinated before boarding their ships. So far I have heard nothing of anyone carrying the virus from those cruises. Is it possible you are at risk sailing out of other States?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vivian02 said:

Here is an interesting thought...... I just returned from a wonderful Alaska cruise on Princess. There are other ships sailing other than Princess and all passengers must be vaccinated before boarding their ships. So far I have heard nothing of anyone carrying the virus from those cruises. Is it possible you are at risk sailing out of other States?

Washington State is about 70% vaccinated ages 12 and up. Alaska is not as good, but is geographically huge and not so many people. Plus most shore excursions tend to be outside.

18 minutes ago, vivian02 said:

I have been thinking the same thing. I am not following the stats that well but I do understand that the vaccination rates in Florida are low, and the number of cases are high.

Where I live our schools were closed a long time and the reasoning was because the cases in the community was high. People weren't getting Covid at school but it was being transmitted from kids at school to their family members. (when schools closed cased went down).

I know this is not a popular statement but perhaps all the cases out of Texas and Florida are because of the amount of Covid in those states.