AOS out Nassau now requiring indoor masking

I am/was anti mask after having to basically wear a mask in my condo for over a year. I jumped on the very first Edge sailing and it was a great experience that I said was close to a pre-covid cruise experience. However much has changed in the last month....I am now wearing a mask again indoors. If I were going on a cruise today...even if masks weren't required...I would be wearing one. Things now aren't what they were a month ago...I was on the ship wearing a shirt that says WE ARE BACK...I hate to tell you...that was premature:(

• Like 13

I cancelled because of a number of factors... We were considering it as AA cancelations continued and back up flights were minimal... and the drip drip drip of changes were just adding up... the long list of protocols making everything complicated for what should be a vacation...   And at some point I stopped and thought... why again are we doing this? One part of cruising that I love is meeting people and between social distancing and masking... that kinda kills it.  Death by a thousand cuts.  

• Like 6

Just now, ONECRUISER said:

Thought read Carnival is heading towards Masking also. Most will soon: 

"After a "small number of positive cases" of Covid-19 were detected aboard a Carnival Cruise Line ship, a new fleetwide mask policy requiring all guests to wear masks in some indoor areas was implemented ahead of schedule, the cruise line said"

Yes, one of their ships sailing this week has several cases and announced last night that masks were mandatory. 2 ships that sailed last week have something like a dozen or more per ship that are now home.    From what I have read on their threads, they have been trying their best to keep it "hush hush" and typically are not transparent to passengers onboard by announcing case numbers like Royal has done.  

Yup, I think all the cruise lines will implement mask guidelines sooner rather than later.    I had hoped the sailings with 95% + vaccinated would have had better results but the way carnival was doing it obviously didn't work as all had hoped.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I am/was anti mask after having to basically wear a mask in my condo for over a year. I jumped on the very first Edge sailing and it was a great experience that I said was close to a pre-covid cruise experience. However much has changed in the last month....I am now wearing a mask again indoors. If I were going on a cruise today...even if masks weren't required...I would be wearing one. Things now aren't what they were a month ago...I was on the ship wearing a shirt that says WE ARE BACK...I hate to tell you...that was premature:(

I am now wishing I had booked one the sailings in June instead of September.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am now wishing I had booked one the sailings in June instead of September.

I agree... but my mistake was thinking that over time protocols would ease up... well.. wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyro1 said:

The website still says Antigen or PCR, and it includes the new mask updates, I also messaged royal and they confirmed what was on website. 

Which is different than the email.  As per usual, conflicting info that matters.  

24 minutes ago, sunshinetricia said:

We're set to go out Saturday and although we are not cancelling, I'm both angry and upset. I was talking to one of my teens and she said the thing she is now dreading is that any time masks are required, there are ALWAYS so many people who don't comply. And when you are complying even though you don't want to and then see other people not complying, it just frustrates you even further. And we both suspect there will be a lot of that on our cruise next week because everyone is so mad about the last minute change. 

Heck, we're running around the house trying to find an extra 25 masks because we weren't planning on all 4 of us needing them everyday and we fly out at 8 tomorrow morning! We already had planned on using all of our cloth masks the week immediately following the cruise because we are heading straight to Disney. So we're scrambling to find disposables for the cruise as we are zipping up the suitcases. 

Costco sells them by the box if you have one nearby and have time

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

"safety" 

Not a single place in the world has been safer with masks.

Let’s try to follow the cc rules about covid chat — I know it’s hard, but it would be nice if I’m not in yet another thread that gets deleted

• Like 10

I understand everyone's frustration given that AOS was supposed to be mask free. We just sailed on the Serenade last week, which I thought was supposed to be a 95% vaccinated + no mask cruise. When we got the email that masks were required, I was very annoyed and frustrated. However, as someone mentioned, the pandemic has changed. I ditched my mask because the science backed it up at the time, but I am certainly more cautious these days during this spike. 

That said, the masks didn't kill any of the cruise vibe. Yes, a little bit of an adjustment but nothing more than we've had the last 1.5 yrs. It was pretty much just masking when you are going from one place to the next (cabin to buffet, pool deck back to your room, walking to dinner from the bar, etc). No masks required while lounging in the solarium or on the pool deck (other than ordering a drink at the bar maybe).

Just trying to ease some of your worries. If you are the type who absolutely hates a mask regardless, yeah it might be annoying. But for us, it really wasn't a big deal and almost everyone felt the same. We had a wonderful cruise, maybe the best ever because the staff was so happy to be working. 

They also made 0 announcements regarding testing or covid last week while on board. I was expecting some announcements to be made. They did page some passengers on the last day to guest services, but we aren't even sure if that was covid/tracing related. We asked the crew on the last night at dinner and they said no cases or issues that they knew of. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

I think the main issue is that people on these cruises were sold the cruise assuming it would be a maskless experience for vaccinated pax. I know that was one reason why I booked the AOS July cruise and the Princess (100% vaccinated pax only). Check out what NCL currently states on their site:

People on these cruises also are aware of the contact that they signed. And most should be aware that the protocols are changing as the situation on the ships dictate (6 COVID positive passengers on the AOS last week). 

Further, you agree to review and comply with our Guest Health, Safety and Conduct Policy, as well any of our health or safety instructions, or other posted signage. Failure to do so will lead to you being denied boarding or may constitute cause for your removal, as well as the denial of boarding or removal of your traveling party, from the vessel. Our safety and health protocols are subject to change, please review our website for the most up to date requirements.

• Like 3

Now that the shock of the email has worn off and I have calmed down, I'm feeling a lot better about it. Found a couple of boxes of disposables that I apparently forgot I even had from back when I was stocking up on supplies all the time. (and some are pink!) We did Disney last summer when it was so crazy hot and we had to wear masks even when we were walking in the parking lot. And my family still talks about how it was the best Disney trip we ever took because it was so empty. Who knows? Maybe that will be this cruise for us! I mean, it's LITERALLY the "Adventure." We just have to make it one.  

• Like 8

A few weeks ago I would of understood folks being upset about masks. However, things have gone downhill rapidly and I would not be angry or annoyed now for the mask requirement.

What about the crew that works like 12 hrs a day doing tough jobs wearing them? The employees at your local grocery now having to wear masks again. These folks are the ones I really have sympathy for. Not for some passengers who should be grateful to even be on a cruise. 

Edited by coaster
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

If cruise leaves on a Sunday we can get tested as late as Thursday correct?  Antigen test results will not be a problem to get in time correct?  If test is PCR  has anybody got test results later than that 3 day window?  

Thursday is the earliest you can test for a Sunday cruise.   PCR test results varies from one place to another, all depends on how busy they are.    My local CVS and Walgreens say results from a PCR test in less than 24 hours but that could change if more people start to get tested.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

People on these cruises also are aware of the contact that they signed. And most should be aware that the protocols are changing as the situation on the ships dictate (6 COVID positive passengers on the AOS last week). 

Further, you agree to review and comply with our Guest Health, Safety and Conduct Policy, as well any of our health or safety instructions, or other posted signage. Failure to do so will lead to you being denied boarding or may constitute cause for your removal, as well as the denial of boarding or removal of your traveling party, from the vessel. Our safety and health protocols are subject to change, please review our website for the most up to date requirements.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread suggest that they think RCCL is in violation of their cruise contract.  Cruise contracts also typically stipulate that the ship isn't required to leave its departure port, but would you be a happy customer if you were on a cruise that just arbitrarily decided not to go anywhere?

I see this devolving into a debate over how people should or should not feel about this.  The fact is that many people booked this particular cruise specifically because masks were not required.  For them, this is a pretty material change.  RCCL is offering refunds.  Some will choose to take the refund.  Other peoples' opinions over whether or not that is reasonable are really irrelevant.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, sunshinetricia said:

Now that the shock of the email has worn off and I have calmed down, I'm feeling a lot better about it. Found a couple of boxes of disposables that I apparently forgot I even had from back when I was stocking up on supplies all the time. (and some are pink!) We did Disney last summer when it was so crazy hot and we had to wear masks even when we were walking in the parking lot. And my family still talks about how it was the best Disney trip we ever took because it was so empty. Who knows? Maybe that will be this cruise for us! I mean, it's LITERALLY the "Adventure." We just have to make it one.  

It was the best cruise for us!! You will love the ship and especially coco cay being nearly empty. 

Be sure to get an expresso martini from schooners and a mojito from Boleros

• Like 4

{Cross posted} For those AOS cruisers, get your travel visa in TODAY

VACCINATED TRAVELLERS

• Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to upload negative test results (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), in addition to valid proof of vaccination (such as CDC or government issued vaccine record card).
    • Please note: Fully vaccinated persons applying for a Bahamas Travel Health Visa up to and including Thursday, August 5, 2021, will not be subject to a COVID-19 test.  
    • Applications for a Bahamas Travel Health Visa can be submitted 14 days prior to travel; therefore, all applications submitted and approved prior to Friday, August 6, 2021, will be honoured for the purpose of entering The Bahamas. 
  • For international travellers, proof of vaccination must confirm they have passed the two-week immunity period.

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates?fbclid=IwAR0cUhHHM7R5_jLeqf2iXz2MlYk63W5vVqg17zM-RbvJAG5njdURGxAoirA

• Like 1

The benefits of being on a ship that is way below capacity far outweighs any inconvenience on having to wear a mask. Some folks want to live in a fantasy world I guess.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Of course, they can do anything including take your firstborn child for a spin on the Flowrider without your consent. 

Realistically there's still expectations and assurances that were made, too. And what they've not done so far is explain any valid reasoning behind this change. It puts the sailing on par with US sailings, including from the disease-ridden state of Florida. And effectively when you have a ship 100% full of vaccinated adults, and everyone being tested before boarding, and almost every single positive test so far that has occurred either being from unvaccinated kids or from vaccinated adults who were NOT SHOWING SYMPTOMS, exactly to what benefit do you think masking while walking through a hallway is going to change any of that?

We're repeatedly being told "out of an abundance of caution" as the reason for any change these days.

How about starting with "out of an abundance of caution we are not permitting any unvaccinated passengers to sail."

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, exm said:

{Cross posted} For those AOS cruisers, get your travel visa in TODAY

VACCINATED TRAVELLERS

• Fully vaccinated travellers will be required to upload negative test results (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), in addition to valid proof of vaccination (such as CDC or government issued vaccine record card).
    • Please note: Fully vaccinated persons applying for a Bahamas Travel Health Visa up to and including Thursday, August 5, 2021, will not be subject to a COVID-19 test.  
    • Applications for a Bahamas Travel Health Visa can be submitted 14 days prior to travel; therefore, all applications submitted and approved prior to Friday, August 6, 2021, will be honoured for the purpose of entering The Bahamas. 
  • For international travellers, proof of vaccination must confirm they have passed the two-week immunity period.

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates?fbclid=IwAR0cUhHHM7R5_jLeqf2iXz2MlYk63W5vVqg17zM-RbvJAG5njdURGxAoirA

It's really not anywhere as bad as it sounds. If you're arriving in The Bahamas the same day or the day before your sailing date and you already have taken the test you need for Royal Caribbean's requirements, you already have what you need to meet The Bahamas requirements.