Britannia Club Queen Mary 2

CC71

We’re looking to book QM2 - Norwegian Fjords itinerary for 2022 and would appreciate opinions on Britannia Club dining? The price differential is circa £500pp between club and a sheltered balcony, higher level balconies show as ‘sold out’ currently. 

All feedback very welcome, thank you.

20 minutes ago, CC71 said:

We’re looking to book QM2 - Norwegian Fjords itinerary for 2022 and would appreciate opinions on Britannia Club dining? The price differential is circa £500pp between club and a sheltered balcony, higher level balconies show as ‘sold out’ currently. 

All feedback very welcome, thank you.

Hi CC,

We are Cunarders that like and book Club Britannia for location and also features of the restaurant.

We are booked for the 14 day NE/Canada Sept sailing and our sailing Club Britannia is also SOLD OUT with other categories. In fact I looked recently and there is only 25 cabins left on the entire ship for that sailing. Word also is that the ship may not sail with full capacity meaning putting cabins aside for safety reasons.

We knew that many from 2020 & 2021 headed right away to 2022 to rebook and the Cunard phones must have been burning.

We like Club Britannia for the location Mid Ship for stability.

Sheltered Cabins are on lower deck enclosed near the water. CB's are high and with full ocean/sea/land view. Maybe a + for doing the Fjords which we did on the QE2 and most memorable cruise experience.

But the also features are the timing and seating. You have an assigned table for the entire three meals a day unlike Britannia where it is only for Dinner. Breakfast & Lunch as available placement.

Yes you can attend any of the alternate dining like Pub, Lounges, Kings Court but the seats are always there in CB for you.

We also like the dining time also. You can come anytime you wish during breakfast, lunch and for dinner 630 to 9PM. CB does not have two seatings like Britannia. So you don't have to come directly at 630PM...

One set back but does not bother us, the location of the cabins to the restaurant. The Cabins are located on Deck 12 & 13 around Elevator Bank A & B with the restaurant on Deck 2 Elevator Bank D.

In other words, the other end of the ship and down. But we don't mine it as we can walk of the meal.....lol....

Hope you can make the choice you feel comfortable with.

Smooth Sailing...

Edited by BklynBoy8

As discussed in another thread, the US booking site is rubbish for displaying available staterooms. For categories that run the length of the ship it displays only far forward or aft and says everything in between is not available. In many cases it will claim that all five areas of the deck are not available even though the mini deck-plan shows what is actually available in that section.  Until Cunard gets its act together the only way to know for sure what is available is to enter every room number in the box: "search for a specific room by number."

Regarding the availability of Britannia Club on the voyage mentioned above, a few of those staterooms are available on each 7-day segment even though not for the entire 14 days if booked as one voyage. (My wife and I are booked in BC on the Québec-NY portion.)

To me the two Britannia Club restaurants are not midships, being adjacent to the D stairway and lifts. On the one rough day we had when we travelled in the Club it didn't seem too bad in the restuarant. It was quite bumpy, though, in our Deck 13 room.

On the QM2, the advantages of dining Club Britannia are the dine-anytime feature and a slightly expanded menu.  The Club dining room is more intimate, but the Britannia is more spectacular.

We liked the views and light on Deck 13.  We were walking and riding elevators more to get there, but that was not a problem for us.

On the whole, I'm not sure if the added expense for Club Britannia is worth it on the QM2.  But we do like the anytime dining.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I think being able to dine when you feel like it is a huge benefit on a port intensive cruise,  And even more so when you might like to admire the fjords before going to dinner.

Ditto with that thought. So many people like when leaving NYC under the bridge get caught around 6 when first seating starts and still on deck. Gives you leeway till arriving at the dining room in Club or Grill. Fjords are a sight not to miss. Coming out of Norway in the past, I didn't get to the table for an half an hour watching. And didn't want to go to Kings Court.

We have traveled CB and regular Britannia dining room. We prefer the regular dining room for the following reasons: it is easier to access, the decor is more beautiful, it is more open and grand, and we prefer dining with other people at a table for six or eight. 

5 hours ago, tv24 said:

On the QM2, the advantages of dining Club Britannia are the dine-anytime feature and a slightly expanded menu.  The Club dining room is more intimate, but the Britannia is more spectacular.

We liked the views and light on Deck 13.  We were walking and riding elevators more to get there, but that was not a problem for us.

On the whole, I'm not sure if the added expense for Club Britannia is worth it on the QM2.  But we do like the anytime dining.

I must agree about the Britannia dinning room being spectacular .

4 hours ago, MCC retired said:

I must agree about the Britannia dinning room being spectacular .

Unfortunately we are going to enjoy a good meal in a quiet setting while on a sailing.

After all the voyages we have been on, granted the Britannia Dining Room is spectacular and seen it many times, we enjoy just the walk thru now...

CC71

We have sailed in both Britannia and Britannia Club. It was our experience that the same menu items were offered each night in Britannia and Britannia Club but in Club the waiters were quick to offer additional  off-menu items besides the basic chicken/fish/steak offerings. On our first night in Club I had scallops which were on the menu. They were delicious and I raved to the waiter about how much I enjoyed them. The next night I ordered Sea Bass and when it came, there were also 4 scallops on my plate. Nice touch. In Club the flaming deserts are also prepared at table-side. We also felt that the service was better in Club, probably because the waiters had fewer tables to manage. On the down side, we were a little disappointed with the Club dining room it self, especially when compared to the Club dining room on QV. One thing we did do when traveling in Club was to eat breakfast in the Britannia MDR. We would request a window table for 6-8. This gave us a chance to enjoy the grand MDR, meet new people and have a window table which we didn't have in Club.  

Jack

• Like 1

Thank you everyone, your thoughts and experiences have been really helpful to my husband and I. We have decided for Queen Mary 2 to go with a Standard balcony and dining, given that the Club balcony cabins are on decks 12 & 13 forward and I don’t have the steadiest of sea legs! However, we would like to try Club dining on our next Queen Victoria sailing as the dining room there looks particularly lovely and more convenient than on QM 2.

1 hour ago, CC71 said:

Thank you everyone, your thoughts and experiences have been really helpful to my husband and I. We have decided for Queen Mary 2 to go with a Standard balcony and dining, given that the Club balcony cabins are on decks 12 & 13 forward and I don’t have the steadiest of sea legs! However, we would like to try Club dining on our next Queen Victoria sailing as the dining room there looks particularly lovely and more convenient than on QM 2.

The Club dining room on the QV is indeed more lovely and more convenient than the Club room on QM2.

On 8/8/2021 at 4:17 AM, CC71 said:

Yes it was a challenge from Deck 13 with distance. But when we are on Deck 12 it is lovely especially in the evening. To walk the outer deck below the funnel with the sea air towards the Staircase/Elevator D bank. And ride down to Deck 2 since the restaurant entrance is just out of the elevator.

You need to do what is best for you to enjoy the sailing with proper accommodations access.