No Pier Testing: Do The Cruise Lines Want To Lose More Money/Customers?

atexsix

2 minutes ago, BJzink said:

I am on a cruise that requires passengers returning to the US to have a Covid test prior to entering the country.  Anyone know if the cruise lines are providing this on the ship?

That is going to be an interesting question.  The cruise lines won't be able to throw up their arms and say sorry, not sorry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atexsix said:

And as I've stated elsewhere today, they are unfairly taking away resources that are in limited supply in many places and needed for people that are really sick.

This is definitely a problem. Our family had a household member test positive during the winter surge. It was incredibly frustrating trying to procure tests for the rest of us in the house to figure out if we were segregating everyone correctly during our quarantine period. I was flat out told by my doctor's office that they wouldn't test me unless I developed symptoms. I was a bit irked at the shortage of supplies and long wait times at the drive through test sites due to holiday travelers. And yet here I am...wondering how I'm going to get a test in order to go on a cruise.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BJzink said:

I am on a cruise that requires passengers returning to the US to have a Covid test prior to entering the country.  Anyone know if the cruise lines are providing this on the ship?

I have read that they are but you really need to get confirmation from HAL.

• Like 1

The Rotterdam TA in October will be carrying 1500 more or less passengers, sailing from Amsterdam. Can you imagine how 1500 tests will be administered and results available on sailing day? To say nothing of the cost to HAL.. I would say the odds of it happening are not too good...

Edited by Tennessee Titan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Ah...Hawaii requires a negative test, at the traveler's expense, under 72 hours from scheduled flight departure. Believe me, business has not suffered i n Hawaii. And no one is demanding Hawaii pay for the test.

I agree.  Not certain why the cruise line should be expected to pay for the test. It is a condition of passage.  Entering a country, it is a condition of entry.  Not sure how this will work on a TA.   

We are looking at exactly this for a land trip.  We do not expect the carrier to pick the cost of our tests....going out or coming home.  We view it as part of the cost of traveling during covid.   

Currently doing some research on where the tests that we require are available by type, lead time, time for results, and cost.

Lots of data on the web depending on the city/country.  For example, in Athens we see at least six clinics, once close to Piraeus or ATH, where we can get a the PCR test that is currently required for our flight home.  Indicates in English how to book on line, hours of operation,  time to get results, and the price (40-60E with a 60E price cap imposed by the Greek Government).   About to check on the same for Heraklion and  Nicosia/Larnaca .    

Just pulled up the same data for Seattle and FLL.  There are many Walgrens, CVS, and clinics listed.  I assume that it is the same for other cities. I suspect getting it done in town, even if it does mean flying in early, would be preferable to taking your chances at the pier.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BJzink said:

is it a Holland America cruise?

• Like 1

I read somewhere that HAL said they would do this.  Of course it does me no good as Jetblue cancelled my flight and I had to reschedule and the soonest flight they had was the Thursday after my cruise.  So I am now stuck having to get a test in Miami coming and going. The Miami airport does offer testing to everyone (passengers or not) antigen as well as PCR. I believe the Fort Lauderdale airport does as well.  From the research I did, it did not look like CVS would do testing for out-of-state people.  Antigen testing at the airport is $79. PCR is considerably more. 

• Like 1

Everyone needs to realize that these tests do show false positives 5% of the time. We changed our flights from a Sunday departure to a Monday evening departure for a Wednesday cruise. This allows us to test on Sunday and retest on Monday just in case. And if one or both of us is positive we will be stuck at home instead of out of state. We are very fortunate to fly out of ORD as there several airlines and flights to choose from.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Everyone needs to realize that these tests do show false positives 5% of the time. We changed our flights from a Sunday departure to a Monday evening departure for a Wednesday cruise. This allows us to test on Sunday and retest on Monday just in case. And if one or both of us is positive we will be stuck at home instead of out of state. We are very fortunate to fly out of ORD as there several airlines and flights to choose from.

They’ve improved the antigen tests. False positives are actually quite rare now, certainly less than 5% FPR. 

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 3:05 PM, BJzink said:

I was booked on Eurodam Greece but switched over to AK.  When I booked Eurodam my PCC told me that HAL will be testing at the Pier in addition for Debark because of having to have a Negative Test within 72 hours to return to the U.S.  No charge for the Testing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I was booked on Eurodam Greece but switched over to AK.  When I booked Eurodam my PCC told me that HAL will be testing at the Pier in addition for Debark because of having to have a Negative Test within 72 hours to return to the U.S.  No charge for the Testing.

Yes...they have to follow the rules set forth overseas. HAL could not return to cruising without agreeing to follow those rules. The rules are different here. Lets hope that this wave is over by our Rotterdam cruise on the 10th of November.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, BJzink said:

See this Q&A from the new FAQs on HAL’s site: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well.html#FAQ

Q: Will testing for COVID-19 be available on board the ship?

A: Sailing from the U.S.: 
A complimentary antigen or PCR COVID-19 test will be administered to all guests on board on Day 5 or 6 of the voyage. This test fulfills the requirements for onward travel home in most instances where guests board a flight immediately after their cruise.   

Guests who book a post-cruise stay before traveling home should ensure they meet all testing requirements. If the test provided on board does not meet the requirements for onward travel, additional testing is the responsibility of the guest at their expense. Add unvaccinated guest language for paying for test.

Sailing from Europe: 
A complimentary antigen or PCR COVID-19 test will be administered to all guests on board on Day 5 or 6 of the voyage. This test is a requirement as part of the EU Healthy Gateways Protocols. This test fulfills the requirements for onward travel home in most instances where guests board a flight immediately after their cruise.   

Guests who book a post-cruise stay before traveling home should ensure they meet all testing requirements. If the test provided on board does not meet the requirements for onward travel, additional testing is the responsibility of the guest at their expense. Add unvaccinated guest language for paying for test.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

5% of 1500 is 75. That is  a lot of poeple that can't board....

That math assumes all 1500 people are indeed negative but...this is from the evaluation of BinaxNOW. FPR is much less than 5%. Only 0.2% of positive tests in the asymptomatic group proved to be negative upon PCR testing. We also shouldn't discount the possibility at this point that some people will test positive on PCR, but not actually be capable of transmitting it. Any viral material in the nose could amplify even if there is no live virus. No system is going to be foolproof here.

Testing among symptomatic participants indicated the following for the BinaxNOW antigen test (with real-time RT-PCR as the standard): sensitivity, 64.2%; specificity, 100%; PPV, 100%; and NPV, 91.2% (Table 2); among asymptomatic persons, sensitivity was 35.8%; specificity, 99.8%; PPV, 91.7%; and NPV, 96.9%. For participants who were within 7 days of symptom onset, the BinaxNOW antigen test sensitivity was 71.1% (95% CI = 63.0%–78.4%), specificity was 100% (95% CI = 99.3%–100%), PPV was 100% (95% CI = 96.4%–100%), and NPV was 92.7% (95% CI = 90.2%–94.7%). Using real-time RT-PCR as the standard, four false-positive BinaxNOW antigen test results occurred, all among specimens from asymptomatic participants. Among 299 real-time RT-PCR positive results, 142 (47.5%) were false-negative BinaxNOW antigen test results (63 in specimens from symptomatic persons and 79 in specimens from asymptomatic persons).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Roz said:

@cursail, my eyes are glazing over.....

It's a lot, but I wanted some evidence that I wasn't pulling the improved antigen tests numbers out of no where. Mass testing of asymptomatic people is still gonna flag some people as having covid that do not actually have it, but not to the degree mentioned earlier.

To potentially get more confusing to everyone, the PPV here is positive predictive value i.e. the probability you have the disease if you test positive. It is NOT the same as specificity but depends on prevalence. The more people who have covid, the higher the probability that a positive test result is a true positive.

Yay statistics!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

...A: Sailing from the U.S.: 

A complimentary antigen or PCR COVID-19 test...If the test provided on board does not meet the requirements for onward travel, additional testing is the responsibility of the guest at their expense. Add unvaccinated guest language for paying for test.

Sailing from Europe: 
A complimentary antigen or PCR COVID-19 test ...additional testing is the responsibility of the guest at their expense. Add unvaccinated guest language for paying for test.

I just realized the FAQ has an internal note that can be seen (emboldened and underlined added by me here to highlight). I guess that’s in preparation for the day unvaccinated passengers will be allowed.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

I am across the water from HAL, Bremerton. I have spent three days online and visiting pharmacies.

My intention was to walk on the ferry Friday, have an nice evening in the big city and cab to the ship on Saturday. Now, after endless research my only option is to ferry in Thursday, find one of two testing sights in Tukwilla ($95 and $129) and ferry home. Or else, add another $200 hotel night. CVS,  and Rite Aid will not do Rapid tests, Walgreens will if you have symptoms. This is Puget Sound not just Bremerton.

In May I was an optimist. Our 14 day Alaska cruise was canceled and figured this is better then nothing. I have decided it is not, this is not fun. Today I am a pessimist. Tried to call HAL today to cancel and they won't answer the phone. Seems they are overwhelmed.

One of the two sites in Tukwilla offers event testing, sets up the tents and does it. Can't imagine how the operation that charges double the retail price for a bottle of wine can let this money grab go by. Just open up testing at 8 am and let boarding times remain the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

I am across the water from HAL, Bremerton. I have spent three days online and visiting pharmacies.

My intention was to walk on the ferry Friday, have an nice evening in the big city and cab to the ship on Saturday. Now, after endless research my only option is to ferry in Thursday, find one of two testing sights in Tukwilla ($95 and $129) and ferry home. Or else, add another $200 hotel night. CVS,  and Rite Aid will not do Rapid tests, Walgreens will if you have symptoms. This is Puget Sound not just Bremerton.

In May I was an optimist. Our 14 day Alaska cruise was canceled and figured this is better then nothing. I have decided it is not, this is not fun. Today I am a pessimist. Tried to call HAL today to cancel and they won't answer the phone. Seems they are overwhelmed.

One of the two sites in Tukwilla offers event testing, sets up the tents and does it. Can't imagine how the operation that charges double the retail price for a bottle of wine can let this money grab go by. Just open up testing at 8 am and let boarding times remain the same.

So what Walgreens is advertising on their website is incorrect?

image.thumb.png.4e02e8bf25b44296478df1f0072b2c55.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, syesmar said:

A: Sailing from the U.S.: 
A complimentary antigen or PCR COVID-19 test will be administered to all guests on board on Day 5 or 6 of the voyage. This test fulfills the requirements for onward travel home in most instances where guests board a flight immediately after their cruise.   

This is only for non-USA citizens or for people flying from the USA to another country, right? If we're just flying home from SEA to California we don't need a test, do we? I am so confused now with all the new rules.....🤔

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laminator said:

So what Walgreens is advertising on their website is incorrect?

image.thumb.png.4e02e8bf25b44296478df1f0072b2c55.png

No, PCR tests seem to be available, but then you have the 72 hour problem. Nobody promises within 72 hours. But they will state 48-72 hours. Or sometimes less. Seems to be a function of load. So, standing in line at boarding waiting for the email and ,,,,,,?

Rapid tests might be regional or district or something like that. Here in Western Washington must have symptoms present or be willing to lie about exposure. .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

No, PCR tests seem to be available, but then you have the 72 hour problem. Nobody promises within 72 hours. But they will state 48-72 hours. Or sometimes less. Seems to be a function of load. So, standing in line at boarding waiting for the email and ,,,,,,?

Rapid tests might be regional or district or something like that. Here in Western Washington must have symptoms present or be willing to lie about exposure. .

It must be a regional then as these are our options. We do have a few Walgreens in the area that offer the Rapid Antigen test but it seems like we have a Walgreens every other block here. Not that many but 4 within a 5 minute drive.
image.thumb.png.64d8af7dcb50ee71e1c967e1f881c76b.png

Just now, Laminator said:

It must be a regional then as these are our options. We do have a few Walgreens in the area that offer the Rapid Antigen test but it seems like we have a Walgreens every other block here. Not that many but 4 within a 5 minute drive.
image.thumb.png.64d8af7dcb50ee71e1c967e1f881c76b.png

The BinaxNOW ones available in Western Washington are reserved for people experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. Even if you were willing to lie, you can’t sign up in advance (obviously it’d be weird to sign up for a test a week from now if you had symptoms today). ID Now isn’t anywhere close to us.