Any Canadians Cruising???.....doing alot of dreaming and reading

Kelownabccan

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Canada announced today that proof of vaccinations will be required on all airlines, trains, cruise ships in the near future.

Plus all civil servants, employees of Federally regulated industries will require proof of vaccinations as a condition of employment....banks, airlines, telcos, broadcast, crown corps etc.

We are only at 70 percent fully vaccinated and 80 for one shot.  Need to do much better.  Plus get busy on 5-11 year olds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-mandatory-vaccinations-1.6140131

Thanks for posting.

Canadas  complete vax rate may sound good at 70 but it is not.   In the next month or so when they start including ages 5-11 that percentage pop vaccinated will go down.

What is good is that now there is only a 10 point difference between those with one shot (80 percent)  and those with two shots.   That is half the difference that it was a month or so ago.  So people are moving forward with the second shot at an increasing rate.

The big concern now is that school is starting up in less than a month.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Our titillating cruise Nov. 20, 2021 was cancelled by me yesterday, one week before final payment...sigh

A major factor was getting a PCR test in Brampton Ontario and then flying to FLL the day before the cruise.

A major conundrum would occur if the PCR results arrived while we were lounging around the hotel pool sipping on Oceans two and although we are double vacinated...one of us tested positive

We can't board

We can't fly back to  steamy YYZ

We would have to self quarantine in unmasked  FLL for 14 days, get retested and hopefully get a flight home

Not worth the angst and trepidation

Bruised and battered Bob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Given the covid situation in Florida at the moment this is not an area where you would want to spend a few weeks-even in quarantine.

Completely agree.  I we HAD stayed on our TA this year, our plan was to fly out of FLL right away.  Normally we would stay and enjoy the weather for a few days before facing the colder stuff here but not this time.

• Like 2

Another cruiser "bites the dust"....and now madness in Canada with a Federal election now.....wow.....we still really want to go on a cruise ... but the rules keep changing and seem to have more become more restrictive...and now in Canada have to have a covid test to fly on internal flights.....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Another cruiser "bites the dust"....and now madness in Canada with a Federal election now.....wow.....we still really want to go on a cruise ... but the rules keep changing and seem to have more become more restrictive...and now in Canada have to have a covid test to fly on internal flights.....

Proof of Vaccination is going to be required for all flights very shortly whether they be domestic or International.  

• Like 3

Absolutely no cruise for us.  Not in the foreseeable future.  Greece in Oct/Nov has moved from a maybe to a probably no.  Thailand/Oz for the winter has become a big no.   Probably the same for Mexico and/ or Costa Rica/Panama.

At least we are in good health.  Looks like we will be traveling vicariously or by web site only.  

And search out our winter boots and our heavy coats.  Plus at some point ...get registered for our third Pfizer shot when it is announced!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, liamur14 said:

I don't know about just looking and not going this winter ...  we snowbird in Puerto Morelos Jan-March and we are planning on going. Think positive fellow Canuks.😎

One of our favourite spots in Mexico. .  Love that new grocery store.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Don't know the name of the store but if it is the big new one a block in from the square we have been there.  Saves going up to the highway store.

We stayed in a condo three years ago. Back again in Feb 2020.  We had four days between a last minute AI stay in Playa and a flight to Huatulco.  PM was our first choice.  

PM and Zihuatanejo  are DW's favourite spots in Mexico.

No idea where we will go in 2022. Could even get there in late Nov/early Dec depending on covid.  Or if there is too much seaweed on the beach (nov/dec).

Edited by iancal

On 8/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, iancal said:

Given the covid situation in Florida at the moment this is not an area where you would want to spend a few weeks-even in quarantine.

On behalf of Florida, please...please... please... Stay out!  Save yourself.

Your pal from beyond the grave!

- B

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/15/2021 at 7:41 PM, liamur14 said:

I don't know about just looking and not going this winter ...  we snowbird in Puerto Morelos Jan-March and we are planning on going. Think positive fellow Canuks.😎

We are planning on going as well ,not on cruise but definitely Europe or Caribbean vacation on Villa or apartment.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:01 AM, bobpell said:

Our titillating cruise Nov. 20, 2021 was cancelled by me yesterday, one week before final payment...sigh

A major factor was getting a PCR test in Brampton Ontario and then flying to FLL the day before the cruise.

A major conundrum would occur if the PCR results arrived while we were lounging around the hotel pool sipping on Oceans two and although we are double vacinated...one of us tested positive

We can't board

We would have to self quarantine in unmasked  FLL for 14 days, get retested and hopefully get a flight home

Bruised and battered Bob

On 8/14/2021 at 10:01 AM, bobpell said:

We can't board

Bruised and battered Bob

Why a PCR? Is an antigen test not good enough for that cruiseline? It is for the flight. 

We have/had a late September cruise on Celebrity which we will not be going on (just waiting to cancel in hopes they cancel first). It is out of Florida ...so that played a big part in the decision to cancel. 

Seemed like a decent shot of happening just a few weeks ago when we booked,  but things do and have changed quickly (for the worse). We figured it was a 50/50 shot at the time so not particularly disappointed.

Next cruise is now with Holland in December out of Florida - still pretty optimistic things will better then!

Still looking.....now for into the Spring .....lol......but no booking......things just seem to drift and never land anywhere.....haha.....Mexico for a land tour or stay....have thought about  but  the thought drifts also.....still on our bucket list is a Baltic cruise....so dreaming about them....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cruise scheduled for April, 2022 from San Diego to Mexico to Vancouver but may have to cancel.  At the present time, HAL is not allowing passengers onboard who use supplemental oxygen, even though I bring my own and rent a machine for backup. That is supposed to end as at Dec. 31/21 but could be continued.  My final pay date is January 3/22 so if I don't get assurances that I will be allowed onboard I will cancel.  I also have a large FCC that I will ask to have back in cash if they won't allow me on their ships.  I am 77 so don't have time to wait.  

Booked to sail to Alaska Sept 25 out of Seattle, traveling from YVR. We were hoping to drive down, but with the recent border closure extension we had to book flights. There is a place in YVR offering Rapid Antigen testing  with results within 20-30 mins for $129 CAD per person, which if you time it right can also be used as the required test to board the cruise. HAL is also offering PCR testing on-board to any Canadians sailing as we are required to have it to return home.

1 hour ago, Dancerforlife said:

Booked to sail to Alaska Sept 25 out of Seattle, traveling from YVR. We were hoping to drive down, but with the recent border closure extension we had to book flights. There is a place in YVR offering Rapid Antigen testing  with results within 20-30 mins for $129 CAD per person, which if you time it right can also be used as the required test to board the cruise. HAL is also offering PCR testing on-board to any Canadians sailing as we are required to have it to return home.

Not sure if this would work for you but I was picking up some prescriptions at shoppers drug mart a couple weeks ago.  I asked them about covid testing and for the rapid test it was something like $40.  Unfortunately they don’t take appointments for the one that would be most convenient for me but my colleague called a shoppers that was more convenient to her and was able to make an appointment.  She did that at least 10 days ago and she’s not leaving for around 10 days.  She is not cruising though.