Remember When....

atexsix

7 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

You have to go waaaaay back to remember a menu like this.

Menu 1.jpg

Menu 2.jpg

Compare this menu with what has been recently offered.

I count 5 dinner entrees which is what is usually offered other than any "always available selections".

A separate salad course offered with 3 choices of dressings.  

But, the major differences are in the appetizers and the desserts.  

4 juices, 6 appetizers, 3 soups, 8 dessert choices, not including the cheeses and fruits selections available. 

And, then there is a choice of coffees:  Maxwell?  Sanka?  Or. "Coffee".  How did "Coffee" differ from "Maxwell"?  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Here's the daily "weather report" pre-internet.  😁😁 

Hand written and slipped under your door each morning.

I well remember this.  And look at the the two most Senior Officers were:  Captain van Driel  and Hotel Manager de Via.  These gentlemen, among others, helped to make HAL into the cruise line that is it is today.  

We_like_to_cruise, I remember the daily programs well, but had forgotten about the weather reports. Remember, in those days the cabins didn't have TV sets, and there was no such thing as cable TV anyway. The menus were always interesting.
Thanks for refreshing my memories. And thank you for posting these. 

You didn't post the fun part of the menu! The covers were lovely Dutch art, kept for us all week by the stewards, then signed and presented to us on the last evening. A charming custom that I still miss. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

And, then there is a choice of coffees:  Maxwell?  Sanka?  Or. "Coffee".  How did "Coffee" differ from "Maxwell"?  

They offered three “types” of coffee. Maxwell would be brewed coffee. Sanka was an instant decaffeinated coffee (why people weren’t that fond of decaf coffee, it tasted bad). And Postum was a coffee substitute (made with some kind of grain) and tasted even worse than Sanka.

St Louis Sal

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 9:38 AM, rucrazy said:

I believe Celebrity had some clothing optional charters back in the early 00's..

HAL have had some too. I remember on out 2007 Alaska cruise overhearing medical staff in the Lido discussing one.

8 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

They offered three “types” of coffee. Maxwell would be brewed coffee. Sanka was an instant decaffeinated coffee (why people weren’t that fond of decaf coffee, it tasted bad). And Postum was a coffee substitute (made with some kind of grain) and tasted even worse than Sanka.

St Louis Sal

Thanks for the recap. I remember from travels in the 1960s that “Sanka” (the brand name) was common usage in European restaurants and hotels generically for decaf coffee - my father used to order it.

I did a quick internet search (while drinking my daily third cup of brewed half-caf) and learned that the product itself was developed in Germany in the early 1900s - the name evolved from the French term “sans-cafeine,” to san-ca. It was eventually heavily marketed in the US with an orange label. And that’s why many decaf coffee pots to this day have orange plastic handles.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Thanks for the recap. I remember from travels in the 1960s that “Sanka” (the brand name) was common usage in European restaurants and hotels generically for decaf coffee - my father used to order it.

I did a quick internet search (while drinking my daily third cup of brewed half-caf) and learned that the product itself was developed in Germany in the early 1900s - the name evolved from the French term “sans-cafeine,” to san-ca. It was eventually heavily marketed in the US with an orange label. And that’s why many decaf coffee pots to this day have orange plastic handles.

Very interesting info. I had no idea about the reason for the orange handles on decaf pots. Sanka sort of cornered the market. Brewed decaf is so much better!

St Louis Sal

• Like 2

On 8/12/2021 at 11:54 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

You have to go waaaaay back to remember a menu like this.

Oh I do, and I do remember them. Not on HAL but Sitmar. As a young girl of 7 or 8 or 9 it was quite a thing to sit down and dine in this style every night (no really casual nights, no buffet, no specialty dining). I learned a lot about continental dishes at a young age! 

I remember how many courses there were. Not like now where soup, salad and appetizer are all lumped together. 

I remember being served my entree, then the assistant waiter would come behind with the vegetable selections and serve them at your request (a la Downton Abbey footmen). 

Full re-set on silverware with each course, crumbing the table, and at least once or twice per cruise a special tableside presentation. 

Caviar was a special item on formal night -- again, you got the caviar, then the assistant came and added all the accoutrements. 

Even a palate cleanser before your main course.

Yes, wonderful -- but how many want to go back, I mean REALLY go back to those long dinners every night, formal service, dress requirements and all?   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, wonderful -- but how many want to go back, I mean REALLY go back to those long dinners every night, formal service, dress requirements and all? 

Did you see me raising my hand?  Formal, aka French, service?  No, not entirely.  Serving entrees from platters is "elegant", but it is difficult for the Stewards and results in platters being tipped and there contents dumped on the guest.  (I witnessed that.)  Side dishes being served from smaller containers?  Yes, one can see what sides are available and what looks appetizing to the guest.  

Formal dress on Formal Night?  Why not?  If I can dance wearing my tux to Rock/Jazz/whatever music, then others can do the same.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Did you see me raising my hand?  Formal, aka French, service?  No, not entirely.  Serving entrees from platters is "elegant", but it is difficult for the Stewards and results in platters being tipped and there contents dumped on the guest.  (I witnessed that.)  Side dishes being served from smaller containers?  Yes, one can see what sides are available and what looks appetizing to the guest.  

Formal dress on Formal Night?  Why not?  If I can dance wearing my tux to Rock/Jazz/whatever music, then others can do the same.  

You sort of make my point when you say "No, not entirely."  It's easy to remember the fun and impressive stuff, but we tend to gloss over the things that were perhaps less impressive -- or to our evolved taste.  I've just had a look (online) at some of the old Fairwind/Fairsea menus, prompted by this discussion. Yes, there were high points. But also a lot of very heavy-sounding entrees, served rather plainly. Prime rib, breaded veal cutlet, coq au vin, broiled sturgeon steak, all on the same menu. Night after night pretty much the same few vegs: potatoes (albeit in many presentations), peas, carrots....

I'm afraid I've grown used to food that is a bit more "interesting".  Fusion cuisine, different spices, a greater variety of vegetables and salads.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want to "go back" for one night. But it wasn't just one night -- it was the entire cruise. Even non-formal nights had just as many courses. Men always had to wear at least a jacket (imagine the fussing today!). As a young girl I ALWAYS had to wear a dress, and I was a tomboy in those days, I didn't appreciate it.  Nor did I enjoy the many varieties of liquor-soaked, heavy Italian cakes and desserts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many remember the Lurline and Matsonia ships that used to go from Los Angeles-Honolulu-San Francisco-Honolulu-Los Angeles?  I went with my folks (my dad's dream trip) in 1959 from LA to Honolulu on the Lurline, stayed three weeks during which there was a huge celebration of Hawaii's becoming a state.  There also was a real beach, meaning wide beach, in Waikiki, especially in front of the Outrigger Canoe Club (where the Outrigger Waikiki hotel is now, between the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider--which were two separate hotels in 1959--the Moana and the Surfrider).  We had dancing with a band on a large ballroom floor on the ship, with barely any ship stabilization, so that was always fun--extra steps thrown in.  The menus were beautiful, with Hawaiian art on the covers, and the food was good.  And they had cabins with bathrooms--across the hall!  Cruising has come a long way!

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

How many remember the Lurline and Matsonia ships that used to go from Los Angeles-Honolulu-San Francisco-Honolulu-Los Angeles?  I went with my folks (my dad's dream trip) in 1959 from LA to Honolulu on the Lurline, stayed three weeks during which there was a huge celebration of Hawaii's becoming a state.  There also was a real beach, meaning wide beach, in Waikiki, especially in front of the Outrigger Canoe Club (where the Outrigger Waikiki hotel is now, between the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider--which were two separate hotels in 1959--the Moana and the Surfrider).  We had dancing with a band on a large ballroom floor on the ship, with barely any ship stabilization, so that was always fun--extra steps thrown in.  The menus were beautiful, with Hawaiian art on the covers, and the food was good.  And they had cabins with bathrooms--across the hall!  Cruising has come a long way!

the outrigger canoe club now sits at the base of diamond head next door to the great elks club....the elks club is a perfect spot for lunch or cocktails IF you are a member of any elks club on the mainland show your card for entry to elks hnl...canoe club requires you go with a member....both are very nice spots  if u happen to be in honolulu for a day

https://www.outriggercanoeclub.com/web/pages/history

On 8/8/2021 at 8:57 AM, BobbiSox said:

How I miss those spectacular shows when the dancers all wore  glorious costumes, the stage settings and lighting  top nothc, and accompanied by a live orchestra. My last few cruises, on gala nights , entertainment consisted of the  small cast doing what appeared to be calisthenics, backed up by  piped-in music, with no costume changes. Other entertainment was  nature films (that I've seen already on my tele, at home) with  two musicians playing along to piped-in music. I've come to expect very little now, so any improvment would be a welcomed surprise. 

Does anyone remember when there was a Formal Rental Shop? One could eliminate an entire suitcase by renting formal wear. Everything was offered, for men and women, inclulding shoes. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 7:48 PM, rkacruiser said:

I well remember this.  And look at the the two most Senior Officers were:  Captain van Driel  and Hotel Manager de Via.  These gentlemen, among others, helped to make HAL into the cruise line that is it is today.  

It was Henk De Vis..

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

It was Henk De Vis..

Thanks for the correction.  I must have hit the wrong key.  

7 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

Does anyone remember when there was a Formal Rental Shop? One could eliminate an entire suitcase by renting formal wear. Everything was offered, for men and women, inclulding shoes. 

I remember them and checked out there offerings on one cruise.  I am an odd size and, if I needed formal wear, nothing would have properly fit.  I had a dickens of a time finding an off the rack tux the first time.  Even then, the Formal Wear store had to make a special order for a separate jacket and pants.  When I needed to replace that suit, it became impossible to even do that.  I decided on a tailor made tux that is the best quality suit of any type that I have ever owned.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for the correction.  I must have hit the wrong key.  

I remember them and checked out there offerings on one cruise.  I am an odd size and, if I needed formal wear, nothing would have properly fit.  I had a dickens of a time finding an off the rack tux the first time.  Even then, the Formal Wear store had to make a special order for a separate jacket and pants.  When I needed to replace that suit, it became impossible to even do that.  I decided on a tailor made tux that is the best quality suit of any type that I have ever owned.  

I cannot remember that, were they located near one of the gift shops? But I de remember that in Hong Kong a couple of tailors came on board to take your measures and have a suit ready the next day...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've just had a look (online) at some of the old Fairwind/Fairsea menus, prompted by this discussion. Yes, there were high points. But also a lot of very heavy-sounding entrees, served rather plainly. Prime rib, breaded veal cutlet, coq au vin, broiled sturgeon steak, all on the same menu. Night after night pretty much the same few vegs: potatoes (albeit in many presentations), peas, carrots...

You forgot to include all of the different pastas.  Dining on Fairwind was a delight.  As to veggies:  recent cruise menus are overly heavy on Green Beans, I think.  

I often find several items in the same categories that I would enjoy.  No difference from "once upon a time". 

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Nor did I enjoy the many varieties of liquor-soaked, heavy Italian cakes and desserts.

Other than remembering the artistic presentations of Sitmar's desserts, I really don't have any memory of stand-out Italian desserts other than Cannoli and Zabaglione.  Maybe I was too full of pasta?  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

I cannot remember that, were they located near one of the gift shops? But I de remember that in Hong Kong a couple of tailors came on board to take your measures and have a suit ready the next day...

If the ship had formal wear shop, it was close to the gifts shops.  Hong Kong Tailors:  I do recall them, but never used their services.  

• Like 1