Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Sounds like an odd experience to me.  Which ship?  They are still taking walk-ups and other reports have indicated they ask people (encouragingly I believe) if they want to share. I believe they are still putting together folks like that. Just realize it is going to most likely be a different group of folks in a different location each night - unless the entire table agrees wants to continue at the same time and the DR staff can actually block it in.

Royal Princess to Hawaii over Christmas.  It was especially galling because I heard the couple in front of me say they were happy to share.  They were told, "That's ok we have a nice table for 2 for you."  Then when I asked to share I was told there were no shared tables that late in the evening (7:15).  I was told to come by 6:00 if I wanted to share.

I later spoke to the HGM but was told nothing could be done.

This only happened one night because I was traveling with a girlfriend.  She skipped dinner this one night.  We usually ended up eating together but would have much preferred dining with others.

Hello!

I am going to Alaska in August.  I tried to book a table for our group (8 of us) and was unable to do so.  I can break them up and reserve tables but not at one tables.  Do they not do groups?  And if so, should I book them for the same time and do 2 different tables and explain to the staff we want 1?    If I seperate them, do I set it up for private tables or with other people?  Thank you!!!

Edited by Elann

43 minutes ago, Elann said:

Hello!

I am going to Alaska in August.  I tried to book a table for our group (8 of us) and was unable to do so.  I can break them up and reserve tables but not at one tables.  Do they not do groups?  And if so, should I book them for the same time and do 2 different tables and explain to the staff we want 1?    If I seperate them, do I set it up for private tables or with other people?  Thank you!!!

We cruised on the Enchanted Princess in January with a group of 10.  Once I linked them as travel companions in the Medallion  App I was able to book for the same table at the same time for all 10 of us.

Maybe calling Princess and having them set it up would be a solution.  I think I had to book each night separately as the “book  for the same time every night” option seems to have some thyme of bug.

I had chosen a private table for another booking choosing at the same time each evening, and when I checked in the App after booking it was booked as a shared table.  I had to book each night separately to ensure a private table.

The App is very glitchy, unreliable  and difficult to use.

• Like 2

My Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess is 88 days away and we've made final payment. I tried making a specialty dining reservation today and it still is saying "Check back closer to your journey date" when I go to "Explore Dining Options." We are staying in a club mini-suite and are gold level. When do specialty dining reservations become available? Or is this just a glitch in the app?

12 minutes ago, Cruise Starter said:

We cruised on the Enchanted Princess in January with a group of 10.  Once I linked them as travel companions in the Medallion  App I was able to book for the same table at the same time for all 10 of us.

Maybe calling Princess and having them set it up would be a solution.  I think I had to book each night separately as the “book  for the same time every night” option seems to have some thyme of bug.

I had chosen a private table for another booking choosing at the same time each evening, and when I checked in the App after booking it was booked as a shared table.  I had to book each night separately to ensure a private table.

The App is very glitchy, unreliable  and difficult to use.

You may have better luck with the online version of the Ocean Ready. The Android App is particularly unstable and difficult to use.  My son had better luck with the online version.

Below is the link to the Ocean Ready webpage.

https://oceanready-personalinfo-ui.prod.ocean.com/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cruise Starter said:

You may have better luck with the online version of the Ocean Ready. The Android App is particularly unstable and difficult to use.  My son had better luck with the online version.

Below is the link to the Ocean Ready webpage.

https://oceanready-personalinfo-ui.prod.ocean.com/

Thanks for posting these links. I was able to reserve Specialty Dining through the web page when I couldn't on the app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elann said:

Hello!

I am going to Alaska in August.  I tried to book a table for our group (8 of us) and was unable to do so.  I can break them up and reserve tables but not at one tables.  Do they not do groups?  And if so, should I book them for the same time and do 2 different tables and explain to the staff we want 1?    If I separate them, do I set it up for private tables or with other people?  Thank you!!!

Try the web version of the Princess App.  See above how to do that or go to your Cruise Personalizer and follow the link there where the App is advertised for downloading from the Play Store.

Yes, there are 8-tops and I am not sure if there is a DMW issue or if they have pulled most of the large tables out of inventory due to DMW inadequacies.  I am sure you can be taken care of on board if you speak with DR Mgmt on Day 1.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 2:10 PM, Steelers36 said:

Try the web version of the Princess App.  See above how to do that or go to your Cruise Personalizer and follow the link there where the App is advertised for downloading from the Play Store.

I was so excited when I saw your post!! A web version?!?! I've been away long enough to not realize it (and also didn't pay close enough attention on the personalize). Went right on and I couldn't access on the web version!! 😆 lol I did delete and add the app back, and now I can at least access my booking via the app. I see the fun still continues with the app. 

• Like 1

First time using the princess app and I am a little unsure of things.   We are cruising in a couple of weeks with another couple and they set dinner reservations.   When I look at my app it shows the first night we are all together at a table, however the following nights have no information as to dinner arrangements.   Does this mean that we have the same each night or do I need to go in and set each night 

1 hour ago, 5cruiser said:

First time using the princess app and I am a little unsure of things.   We are cruising in a couple of weeks with another couple and they set dinner reservations.   When I look at my app it shows the first night we are all together at a table, however the following nights have no information as to dinner arrangements.   Does this mean that we have the same each night or do I need to go in and set each night 

Ask your friend what they see.  There have been reports of disappearing reservations.  Ask your friend to check DMW on the web version of the App.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5cruiser said:

You have to set each night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5cruiser said:

It does have glitches still.  Example:

Using the feature to book every night same time, etc:  

I booked same time every night for

PRIVATE table for 32 nights. 

It confirmed me alright, but same time every night with a SHARED table. Grrr

So, I had to go on EVERY night and change it to a private table.  Now….it looks good.  

Whatever you do, recheck it. Check every night to make sure it’s what you want and with your friends.

Edited by PacnGoNow
Added info
  • Like 3

On 4/16/2023 at 11:59 AM, Elann said:

Hello!

I am traveling in a group of 12 - the Dine My Way doesn't appear on the mobile app at all and on the web version of the app everything is greyed out wen I select all 12 of us. When I have 10 or less the selections turn green, but no matter where I click, nothing changes - the options remain "evening" and "main dining". No sure what else I am supposed to be doing. It seems supremely unhelpful when you go to the personalizer website and it says "Dining Reservations have moved to the MedallionClas App" as if that's a good thing! lol

1 hour ago, RedJessi said:

I am traveling in a group of 12 - the Dine My Way doesn't appear on the mobile app at all and on the web version of the app everything is greyed out wen I select all 12 of us. When I have 10 or less the selections turn green, but no matter where I click, nothing changes - the options remain "evening" and "main dining". No sure what else I am supposed to be doing. It seems supremely unhelpful when you go to the personalizer website and it says "Dining Reservations have moved to the MedallionClas App" as if that's a good thing! lol

You need to form two groups of six and have another "lead" besides you make a booking.  If that doesn't work, I imagine you are stuck until you sail.  You did not provide us with ship and date. 

You can login to Cruise Personalizer and use the URL provided to access the web version of the App.  Many posters have reported success recently using that access to make dining reservations. 

Even if you are successful, DMW will have no correlation between your two bookings.  You need to visit with DR Mgmt as soon as you can after boarding with all guest cabin numbers and names and request two 6-top tables in proximity to one another (same wait staff).  They can most likely figure out how to accommodate you in one of the (typically) three DR's.  You can mix up who sits where each night so you have a chance to visit with all in your party.  You can even divide it up if one group wants to start earlier or later than the other. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You need to form two groups of six and have another "lead" besides you make a booking.  If that doesn't work, I imagine you are stuck until you sail.  You did not provide us with ship and date. 

You can login to Cruise Personalizer and use the URL provided to access the web version of the App.  Many posters have reported success recently using that access to make dining reservations. 

Even if you are successful, DMW will have no correlation between your two bookings.  You need to visit with DR Mgmt as soon as you can after boarding with all guest cabin numbers and names and request two 6-top tables in proximity to one another (same wait staff).  They can most likely figure out how to accommodate you in one of the (typically) three DR's.  You can mix up who sits where each night so you have a chance to visit with all in your party.  You can even divide it up if one group wants to start earlier or later than the other. 

Thank you so much for your response. I was poking around on the web version of the app for a bit and figured out we couldn't;t do anything with a group of 12 - the largest was 10, but even then there were no available selections. It was "evening" and "main dining". One I split into 7 and 5 (keeping family units together) than I was able to see a couple times - the only choice was "international Dining".

We are sailing on Sapphire to Alaska in early June.

12 minutes ago, RedJessi said:

Thank you so much for your response. I was poking around on the web version of the app for a bit and figured out we couldn't;t do anything with a group of 12 - the largest was 10, but even then there were no available selections. It was "evening" and "main dining". One I split into 7 and 5 (keeping family units together) than I was able to see a couple times - the only choice was "international Dining".

We are sailing on Sapphire to Alaska in early June.

Check out the deck plan for Sapphire on Princess.com.  It has basically the same dining space as other ships, but each of the mid-ship DR's is halved so there are four smaller DR's in the same space.  Same menus, just different decor themes I have read.

As I expected, you are going to need to speak with DR Mgmt and likely should be good to be accommodated somewhere together.  In fact, your desire to have 6-top and an 8-top to fit 5 and 7 makes it even easier IMO since I have noticed a section staffed by a wait team will typically have an 8-top, a 6-top, and a mix of 2's and 4's (not sure how many seats they typically allocate per team). 

I have not been on Sapphire, but have noticed 6 and 8 size in close proximity on other ships.

• Like 1

Just off 14 day TA on Regal. Seems Dine My Day is very glitchy; some due to app and some due to staff.

When I tried to book specialty dining at Crown the ONLY nite with openings was day 1 embarkation day. The place was near empty.

After a few less than satisfactory nites in main DR I tried to book in Crown near end of cruise… wide open for reservations! Again we went went to find the place near empty; yet they tried to seat us in last booth right by the kitchen.

I refused. We were moved to one of the MANY empty tables.
We must have marks on our back as more often than not in main DR we were paraded thru the room ( were they waiting for a cash tip for better table?) to be sat at a table near the noisy busy kitchen. 
We asked to share .. had booked to share.. thinking we’d get a variety of table locations. Nope.

ps they had a line for NO Reservations further complicating the process.

the first week we were never asked to tap our medallion to confirm we even had a reservation or at what time.

2 hours ago, remydiva said:

Just off 14 day TA on Regal. Seems Dine My Day is very glitchy; some due to app and some due to staff.

When I tried to book specialty dining at Crown the ONLY nite with openings was day 1 embarkation day. The place was near empty.

After a few less than satisfactory nites in main DR I tried to book in Crown near end of cruise… wide open for reservations! Again we went went to find the place near empty; yet they tried to seat us in last booth right by the kitchen.

I refused. We were moved to one of the MANY empty tables.
We must have marks on our back as more often than not in main DR we were paraded thru the room ( were they waiting for a cash tip for better table?) to be sat at a table near the noisy busy kitchen. 
We asked to share .. had booked to share.. thinking we’d get a variety of table locations. Nope.

ps they had a line for NO Reservations further complicating the process.

the first week we were never asked to tap our medallion to confirm we even had a reservation or at what time.

This is the kind of experience we had on Royal Princess over Christmas.  Nobody ever seemed to know WTH was going on in the dining rooms.  The medallion was worse than useless.  Even the buffet was a mess ... walking around and around looking for food, everything cold by the time you got your meal ... half the stations totally empty.  Then you'd forget which side your table was on and wander some more carrying your plate.  A real po-dunk operation.

8 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

This is the kind of experience we had on Royal Princess over Christmas.  Nobody ever seemed to know WTH was going on in the dining rooms.  The medallion was worse than useless.  Even the buffet was a mess ... walking around and around looking for food, everything cold by the time you got your meal ... half the stations totally empty.  Then you'd forget which side your table was on and wander some more carrying your plate.  A real po-dunk operation.

But nothing like our experience on Sky last month.

Seating arrangements well handled,  and the buffet was well stocked. 

But, as you are never going to cruise with Princess again,  you will just have to keep on rehashing your one and only experience for ever.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Maybe the Royal staff was not up to par in Dec yet.  Many new employees and short staffed.  No excuse, just the facts.

Our experiences have been very good the last few months with DMW and not an issue getting a table for 2, which we wanted and booked.  We’ve done 12 cruises since the restart.  The last one was in March, Enchanted.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But, as you are never going to cruise with Princess again,  you will just have to keep on rehashing your one and only experience for ever. 

Edited by remydiva

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

2 minutes ago, remydiva said:

I can assure you that after 20+ princess cruises nothing is ever my ‘one and only experience’. I don’t ask for, nor expect,  perfection when travelling. 

Not sure where you got the notion that jsn55 or I would never cruise Princess again. We were just replying to original thread topic of our Dine My Way experiences after restart. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, remydiva said:

‘Scuse me? You comment seems rather harsh.

Neither I nor wowzz said we are never cruising with Princess again. 
As for myself , after 20 cruises with Princess I can say that these issues were not my ‘one and only experience for ever’.

No travel is perfect, nor do I expect it to be. I was only replying to the original thread topic about Dine My Way experiences since the restart, 

I was referring to @jsn55

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

You forget where you were sitting  ?  That is a new one   If you were sitting with others why not text them for directions. As far as the medallion all I ever use it for is to open my door,  but drinks at the bar (and usually only have to give my cabin number and name) and check my folio so I have not had many issues over my last 5 cruises

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, memoak said:

You forget where you were sitting  ?  That is a new one   If you were sitting with others why not text them for directions. As far as the medallion all I ever use it for is to open my door,  but drinks at the bar (and usually only have to give my cabin number and name) and check my folio so I have not had many issues over my last 5 cruises

You need to remember that @jsn55has an agenda !