Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

The one that went up to $140 is the Caymus Winemaker's Dinner.  Don't know if they are still doing the other cheaper one.

I wish someone OB would update us.  We did the $40 per person in late March, Enchanted in the Med. It was Silverado wines and excellent!  

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

The one that went up to $140 is the Caymus Winemaker's Dinner.  Don't know if they are still doing the other cheaper one.

Although we have no direct reports, it makes no sense to me that they would offer a WMD for $40 when they have announced a new one for $140.  The wines provided in either case is a similar situation and the new one would not be worth another $100.  OTOH, the old one at $40 is way under-priced, so it seems hard to believe any ship would be offering it today.

9 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I wish someone OB would update us.  We did the $40 per person in late March, Enchanted in the Med. It was Silverado wines and excellent!  

Yes, I would like to know as well.  It could be that anyone interested is booking the CTL as why pay extra for the new WMD?

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Although we have no direct reports, it makes no sense to me that they would offer a WMD for $40 when they have announced a new one for $140.  The wines provided in either case is a similar situation and the new one would not be worth another $100.  OTOH, the old one at $40 is way under-priced, so it seems hard to believe any ship would be offering it today.

Yes, I would like to know as well.  It could be that anyone interested is booking the CTL as why pay extra for the new WMD?

Agreed.  You’re up early.

Just received 2 more e mails telling me they want to make my experience superb so they have changed MY CHOICE of 6.20 dining to 7.20 in the other restaurant to suit THEM   This is NOT  Dine My Way

30 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Just received 2 more e mails telling me they want to make my experience superb so they have changed MY CHOICE of 6.20 dining to 7.20 in the other restaurant to suit THEM   This is NOT  Dine My Way

On a 28 day cruise in April I received 28 emails two days in advance of the cruise changing our (group of 6) reservations from 6 to 5:40.  On the first night we were told it was changed again to 5:20 by the Host.  When I protested that was too early he compromised at 5:30 and “ if you are more than 5 minutes late we will give it away.”  We had an excellent wait staff who made up for the host’s demeanor.  When we did 2 nights of specialty dining (with advance notice to the host) our wait staff said the table sat empty (which they appreciated).

54 minutes ago, capriccio said:

On a 28 day cruise in April I received 28 emails two days in advance of the cruise changing our (group of 6) reservations from 6 to 5:40.  On the first night we were told it was changed again to 5:20 by the Host.  When I protested that was too early he compromised at 5:30 and “ if you are more than 5 minutes late we will give it away.”  We had an excellent wait staff who made up for the host’s demeanor.  When we did 2 nights of specialty dining (with advance notice to the host) our wait staff said the table sat empty (which they appreciated).

I was not willing to wait until we get on board to sort out 55 days dining.   The silly thing is that apart from 2 days  I have been able to use the medaallion and change my times back to the original choice!!!!!!!!!!!!   It is just such  NUISANCE

• Like 2

7 hours ago, windsor26 said:

It's like twisting in a knife by trying to turn it inside out like it is a plus and doing you a favor.  Why don't they just apologize and say they screwed up and this is the best you can get now, but inquire on board if you can get something more like what you wanted.

• Like 4

On our last two cruises I booked a specific dining room and both times, when be got aboard, we had been moved to the aft dining room. It wasn't a big deal but it also wasn't what I had checked to be sure was still confirmed in the app the day before we sailed. Back in May when we sailed on Royal they kept one dining room and also Sabatini's closed the entire cruise.

On 6/17/2023 at 2:28 PM, damiross said:

I was able to book specialty and MDR time slots with my cruise not even being close to paid off.  At the time, it was over 200 days until the cruise. There was a charge for the specialty dining.  I checked my credit card.  The charge was listed as "pending" for a few days and then dropped off.  I was not charged.

hi @damiross, was your card not charged because you had dining credits to use?

• 2 weeks later...

We have a number of upcoming cruises with Princess.  For our next cruise, this August, and for the following cruise, in September, we are NOT in Reserve Class - so I want to make dinner reservations for them. On the app, I can see only the August cruise to arrange dining (or anything else).  On the Web, I can see only a cruise booked way out for 2025. 

What I want to do is make dining reservations for the September cruise.  It is paid in full and we are Elite (if those things matter).  Shouldn't I be seeing this cruise in one or both versions?  Can anyone talk me through how to find that cruise?

15 minutes ago, QuilterGirl said:

We have a number of upcoming cruises with Princess.  For our next cruise, this August, and for the following cruise, in September, we are NOT in Reserve Class - so I want to make dinner reservations for them. On the app, I can see only the August cruise to arrange dining (or anything else).  On the Web, I can see only a cruise booked way out for 2025. 

What I want to do is make dining reservations for the September cruise.  It is paid in full and we are Elite (if those things matter).  Shouldn't I be seeing this cruise in one or both versions?  Can anyone talk me through how to find that cruise?

I would boot your phone and see if that helps. This has worked for me before

Is there a place under "manage this booking" on the website where I can see if we have TD and time or DMY or am I just confused? I'm use to Celebrity where they have TD and MTD (RC) or SD (Celebrity). 

Edited by davekathy

22 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Is there a place under "manage this booking" on the website where I can see if we have TD and time or DMY or am I just confused? I'm use to Celebrity where they have TD and MTD (RC) or SD (Celebrity). 

There is no longer Traditional Dining on Princess. 😥 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, davekathy said:

If by TD you mean traditional dining with same table dame time same servers that does not exist on Princess anymore. If you are in a cabin with reserve dining then you can sometimes arrange this to a degree

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

If by TD you mean traditional dining with same table dame time same servers that does not exist on Princess anymore. If you are in a cabin with reserve dining then you can sometimes arrange this to a degree

Thank you both for the clarification. I just checked on the app for our March 2024 Enchanted cruise and it shows 6:00 PM for each night in the Amalfi dining room. Our last Princess cruise was 2010 on the Grand. A lot of changes since then. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, julie3fan said:

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I would adjust the response for better clarity.  True, there is no TD like before where the entire DR came at pretty much the same times - early or late - and two seatings.

However, guests can get with DR Mgmt and generally have success arranging a suitable table that is at the same time with the same waiters and replicate the TD experience.  And you do not need to be in a Reserve Mini or Suite in order to do so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Thank you both for the clarification. I just checked on the app for our March 2024 Enchanted cruise and it shows 6:00 PM for each night in the Amalfi dining room. Our last Princess cruise was 2010 on the Grand. A lot of changes since then. 

If you booked that in DMW as a Private table, and you want the same table and waiters at 6:00pm, speak to DR Mgmt once you are on the ship and you should be able to be accommodated, even if they put you in a different DR.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If you booked that in DMW as a Private table, and you want the same table and waiters at 6:00pm, speak to DR Mgmt once you are on the ship and you should be able to be accommodated, even if they put you in a different DR.

I did. Our normal MO is head to the MDR when we first board the ship and scope out a two top in a location we like and then request that table for our reserved time for the entire cruise. If we are put in a different DR we'll adjust accordingly. Two top is our priority. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I did. Our normal MO is head to the MDR when we first board the ship and scope out a two top in a location we like and then request that table for our reserved time for the entire cruise. If we are put in a different DR we'll adjust accordingly. Two top is our priority. 

What happened on the Discovery last month was people who had reservations for a particular time and were told that the earlier seated diners were still having their meal and it would be a 30-45 minute wait. They then tried to enter at the reserve dining entrance. This was a ship that was at least 100% full if not more with tons of families and first time cruisers It seemed that unless you were in the first wave of diners or wanted to eat late there was going to be a wait regardless of your “reservation “

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

What happened on the Discovery last month was people who had reservations for a particular time and were told that the earlier seated diners were still having their meal and it would be a 30-45 minute wait. They then tried to enter at the reserve dining entrance. This was a ship that was at least 100% full if not more with tons of families and first time cruisers It seemed that unless you were in the first wave of diners or wanted to eat late there was going to be a wait regardless of your “reservation “

Sounds like DMW system booked too many early diners.  Which is odd as my reading indicates DMW is typically offering only two of three DR's for advance booking ahead of voyage.  If so, they should have been able to provide tables for reservations.  Perhaps they just decided to fill them all with walk-ups and damn the reservations coming along a bit later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Interesting, (a) are dining rooms open early in the day? (b)  how do you know the table number? (c) when do you make the request?

We are thinking of asking for the same table on a 20-night cruise. We have 6:40 reservations each night. First night is often a shamble so we will go to Horizon or Alfredos that night and I wonder if many tables will already be requested by first-nighters.

I am not overly concerned about which two-top, I am sure many would be fine with us.

Incidentally, we recently enjoyed a two-top each night, easy to get in and get out in time for the show but did miss sharing and meeting other people.

ETA Just occurred to me that this cruise starts six days earlier in Vancouver so this might be a moot point. Good to know for other cruises.

Edited by Tedferg