Oasis headed for Bayonne

7 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Even on Anthem we still stare up at the bridge as we go under it in awe of clearing it. It's just fun to watch how close we get.

One of these days they're going to forget to lower the Northstar.  Oops.

I was on the very first sailing of Quantum into Cape Liberty.  We cleared the bridge.  👍

They actually had the Northstar up shortly before we arrived at the bridge.

We watched the QE2 go under a bridge here in Maryland about 20 years ago and it looked very close but what many people do not know is that ships can take on ballast water which will sink them into the water deeper helping them sail under bridges.  Also, every port has "pilots" who are specifically trained to maneuver ships into ports.

Printed my tags for my Sept. 5th sail.  I'm good to go.  Glad it's happening.  I remember many years ago, I suggested that RCL would make a financial killing by moving a Oasis class not only to the the NYC Metro but also in to the Far East.  Folks on this Forum were very skeptical cause of it's size and height.

33 minutes ago, allie182 said:

According to marine traffic oasis eta to Bayonne is 12:00 8/18....did anyone hear any different?

I believe that the times on MarineTraffic are listed as UTC times, which will need to be converted to local EDT for NYC. But, I also just noticed that they listed the wrong Bayonne - France instead of US. 

On 8/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, BillB48 said:

In a manner of speaking😉!  Actually both the Oasis and the Allure were built with retractable funnels so they could clear the Great Belt Bridge in Denmark when the ships were delivered from the shipyard.  Lowering the funnels reduced the air draft of the Oasis from 236' (72m) to under the clearance of 213' (65m) of the GB Bridge.  They also took advantage of about  another 1 foot as a result of "squat".  Squat is the ship settling in the water as a result of its forward motion and is also magnified when operating in shallower waters.

I suspect that since neither the Oasis or Allure had any itineraries that were restricted by their air draft, the mechanisms to lower the funnels were probably not used after delivery from the shipyard.  This most recent visit to the yard no doubt included overhauling of the lowering mechanisms.   The Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge has a navigational clearance of 215', in any event the lowering mechanisms will surely get a regular workout.

Here's short video of the Oasis passing under the Great Belt Bridge...

You must have forgotten that they added one or two scrubber stacks that fold down in the last drydock.

22 hours ago, nelblu said:

Printed my tags for my Sept. 5th sail.  I'm good to go.  Glad it's happening.  I remember many years ago, I suggested that RCL would make a financial killing by moving a Oasis class not only to the the NYC Metro but also in to the Far East.  Folks on this Forum were very skeptical cause of it's size and height.

when did luggage tags show up? Any info on vaccinations, or which areas of ship for masks or only vaccinated cruisers?

I'm on same cruise but have no notifications yet. 

1 hour ago, gdy0354 said:

when did luggage tags show up? Any info on vaccinations, or which areas of ship for masks or only vaccinated cruisers?

I'm on same cruise but have no notifications yet. 

Go to your cruise planner, log on check-in and both the the set sail pass and tags should be thre to print.  

No news on any protocols, but I'm planning on a PCR test the Thursday of that week.

2 minutes ago, dswallow said:

That'd be my guess. It dropped off for visible/bookable sailings online about 55 hours ago, so around 8/16/2021 9am ET.

With the ship in town and things looking like a go they will probably all hit capacity soon.  Capacity being probably 2000 to 2500  guests at most