Booking hotel on my own prior to Viking Amsterdam to Basel cruise

Gigikaren

My husband and I are booked on our first Viking river cruise next April. We are considering booking a hotel in Amsterdam on our own for 2 nights to save money. In this situation would we need to arrange travel from the airport to the hotel on our own? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend the double tree central station in Amsterdam.  You can easily take the train from schipol airport to central station and walk to the hotel.  It’s a very short walk.  Not sure where the Viking ship leaves from but it could be very close to that location as well.  We stayed at the double tree before and plan to stay again in November before our cruise. 

• Like 3

Of course, everything has changed with Covid, but IIRC, Viking has 2 docking facilities in Amsterdam, one central, and one further out.  Don't worry about where you will stay, as it's easy to arrange a taxi from your hotel to the docking area if it's the one further out.  Enjoy Amsterdam, I'm not a city lover, but that is one I will go back to.

• Like 1

Have stayed at several properties in Amsterdam, and the Double tree is quite convenient from Central Station. Take the express train from airport, and then its just a few minutes easy walk to hotel. Have used it twice when leaving on Viking river cruise.  Not especially luxurious , as its more of a business/ convention type property , but has great breakfast and easy for public transportation.  If your ship is docked in central Amsterdamm you will be able to see it from the rooftop bar!

• Like 1

If you haven't been to Amsterdam before and will be paying for your hotel room (as opposed to using points, etc), I suggest booking the Viking 2 day extension. You can save money on your own but not as much as you might think.  You will have to pay V's air deviation fee ($50 pp) plus transfers and a overview tour.  All expenses avoided if you book the extension.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patrickmoran said:

If you haven't been to Amsterdam before and will be paying for your hotel room (as opposed to using points, etc), I suggest booking the Viking 2 day extension. You can save money on your own but not as much as you might think.  You will have to pay V's air deviation fee ($50 pp) plus transfers and a overview tour.  All expenses avoided if you book the extension.

We did our own DIY in Lucerne after the cruise but did the pre-cruise in Amsterdam through Viking.  We figured that between the airport transfer and transfer to the ship, along with the hand-holding they provided us in a new city while we were addled by jet lag, it was worth it.  It wasn't cheap, but saved us a lot of hassle.  Lucerne OTOH, was VERY expensive through Viking, and super-easy to do DIY.  On the roll call pages I have outlined how we handled Lucerne.  Please ask, anyone, if you have any Lucerne questions.  Glad to help.

• Like 1

We're also booked at DoubleTree Central Station at cost of $400 USD for 2 people for 2 nights, vs $1200 thru Viking.

Of course, we'll lose the convenience of included airport transfers from airport to hotel, a few walking tours, & concierge services.

However, taking the train from airport to central station is just a few bucks, takes 20 minutes, 5 minute walk to hotel, & sure we can take a few walking & canal tours at minimal costs....

• Like 1

We've been to Amsterdam a few times and always stay at Banks Mansion Hotel, which is on the banks of a canal and old fashioned (Art Deco) and lovely.

The Double Tree is definitely more convenient to the station, but bland and boring.  My parents stayed there, so we visited and were very glad we stayed where we did, or in another more interesting hotel.

Trams are easy and taxies are plentiful and not too expensive.

We stayed at the Kimpton De Witt, which is a short walk from Central Station.  The location was excellent with short walks or tram rides to major tourist locations.  We used the train from the airport and walked to the hotel from the station, but taxis are easy too.  We took a bus tour from Central Station to Rotterdam and other towns and also bought Region bus tickets that allowed us to explore nearby towns on our own. The hotel was lovely with an afternoon wine time.  

On 8/16/2021 at 7:33 AM, mj_holiday said:

If you have a lot of luggage, I do not recommend taking a train. Right outside the terminal  is the taxi stand and it’s very easy to get a taxi and head to the hotel that you booked. 

mj, interesting phrase there, "if you have a lot of luggage"?  I've not read too many discussions here on CC about packing/luggage.  My husband and I have managed several long vacations with just a backpack and small carry-on tote each.  Do folks pack heavy for river cruising?

Deb

"Lucerne OTOH, was VERY expensive through Viking, and super-easy to do DIY.  On the roll call pages I have outlined how we handled Lucerne.  Please ask, anyone, if you have any Lucerne questions.  Glad to help."

Sharkster, can you point me to your discussion of Lucerne in the roll call pages?  Our TA has suggested this as a pre-cruise stay.

Thanks, Deb

Edited by nursinadream

Our first river cruise was Amsterdam to Basel with a post-cruise extension in Lucerne and Zurich (on AMA).  We did not do a pre-cruise extension in AMS and we found that English is so common there that we didn't need any hand-holding.  But we were glad to be doing the post-cruise extension in Switzerland because they were able to add sights that you would miss taking trains Basel-Lucerne-Zurich, such as the Lion monument in Lucerne [doable DIY but out of the way], the Rhine Falls and the cute village of Stein am Rhein.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nursinadream said:

"Lucerne OTOH, was VERY expensive through Viking, and super-easy to do DIY.  On the roll call pages I have outlined how we handled Lucerne.  Please ask, anyone, if you have any Lucerne questions.  Glad to help."

Sharkster, can you point me to your discussion of Lucerne in the roll call pages?  Our TA has suggested this as a pre-cruise stay.

Thanks, Deb

We ended our cruise in Basel and went to Lucerne and then flew home from Zurich, so I'm not sure how this would work for you.  At disembarkation Viking arranged a taxi for us to the Basel train station (15-20 min ride).  We then took a train to Lucerne (hourly, and takes about an hour).  Lucerne station is literally in the middle of the old town.  We had a 2 night reservation at Hotel des Alpes, which was a 5 minute walk from the station, right on the river, visible from the station.  Since we had the best weather of our trip in Lucerne, we spent 2 days outside walking everywhere----along the river, to the medieval squares, along the medieval town wall, along the lake, took a lake cruise.  Ate both nights at the Rathaus Brewerie along the river, German comfort food and cheaper than most places.  The morning of Day 3 we walked back to the station and took a 1 hr train to the Zurich airport (station is in the basement of the air terminal).

You'd have to do what we did backward.  The tricky part for you would be to find out exactly where the ship is docked in Basel, and then find a taxi at the Basel station to get there.   Lucerne was definitely a highlight.  Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous!

I think my posts were in the 2021 Rhine Getaway thread.

OH---if you do this, you can send luggage ahead so you're not schlepping unneeded bags all over the place.  We packed all that we needed for Lucerne into one small bag.  At the Basel station we sent the rest of our bags ahead to Zurich airport station.  We picked it up when we got there.  Price was reasonable as well.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, nursinadream said:

mj, interesting phrase there, "if you have a lot of luggage"?  I've not read too many discussions here on CC about packing/luggage.  My husband and I have managed several long vacations with just a backpack and small carry-on tote each.  Do folks pack heavy for river cruising?

Deb

My comment about luggage centered around managing your luggage in a train station, no porters like in airports and on the train (finding a place for them)

As for the question of how much people pack, I would say that it varies very much.  We  (or DH) pack alot and I just live with it.  But there are those who just have one suitcase etc.  Part of this would really depend on how long the river cruise is.

• Like 1

ALSO---if you are in Lucerne on a Saturday morning, along both sides of the river they have the absolute BEST farmer's market we've ever seen!   Produce, meat, cheese, eggs, flowers, baked goods, wanted to buy it all but were flying home that day!  We are fans of farmer's markets but had never seen anything the likes of this one.

Just now, mj_holiday said:

My comment about luggage centered around managing your luggage in a train station, no porters like in airports and on the train (finding a place for them)

As for the question of how much people pack, I would say that it varies very much.  We  (or DH) pack alot and I just live with it.  But there are those who just have one suitcase etc.  Part of this would really depend on how long the river cruise is.

That was a nice thing about the Swiss rail system---we could send luggage ahead to the airport train station for the flight home, and only carried to Lucerne what we needed for the 3d/2n.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

I have never travelled with more than one medium size suitcase and a backpack as my carry-on. If I can't manipulate all my baggage by myself I don't bring it. It makes like much simpler.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

I guess the main thing is to only pack what you can handle yourself.  We watched 4 younger girls travelling from Cologne to Amsterdam Central (we got off the train at the airport, only to see them show up at our hotel later) with 4 large "steamer" trunks, hand luggage, knapsacks etc.  They were a pain when changing trains, as they stored the large trunks at the front of the train, so were first off, and held up most passengers.  

Because we knew we were taking the train for the day, and doing multiple changes, we had a carry on and knapsack each, and will be doing the same for our next cruise.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 10:01 PM, sharkster77 said:

We ended our cruise in Basel and went to Lucerne and then flew home from Zurich, so I'm not sure how this would work for you.  At disembarkation Viking arranged a taxi for us to the Basel train station (15-20 min ride).  We then took a train to Lucerne (hourly, and takes about an hour).  Lucerne station is literally in the middle of the old town.  We had a 2 night reservation at Hotel des Alpes, which was a 5 minute walk from the station, right on the river, visible from the station.  Since we had the best weather of our trip in Lucerne, we spent 2 days outside walking everywhere----along the river, to the medieval squares, along the medieval town wall, along the lake, took a lake cruise.  Ate both nights at the Rathaus Brewerie along the river, German comfort food and cheaper than most places.  The morning of Day 3 we walked back to the station and took a 1 hr train to the Zurich airport (station is in the basement of the air terminal).

You'd have to do what we did backward.  The tricky part for you would be to find out exactly where the ship is docked in Basel, and then find a taxi at the Basel station to get there.   Lucerne was definitely a highlight.  Gorgeous, gorgeous gorgeous!

I think my posts were in the 2021 Rhine Getaway thread.

OH---if you do this, you can send luggage ahead so you're not schlepping unneeded bags all over the place.  We packed all that we needed for Lucerne into one small bag.  At the Basel station we sent the rest of our bags ahead to Zurich airport station.  We picked it up when we got there.  Price was reasonable as well.

Hi - we are doing a Christmas Market cruise on Viking from Basel to Amsterdam mid-December.  We booked the Basel extension through Viking.  The extension includes a walking tour of Basel the day after we arrive, but I was thinking about taking the train from Basel to Lucerne for a day.  Would this be easy to do (in your opinion)?  Any advice?  We would just plan to walk around the town.