Am I expecting too much?

rs45thompson

When ships started sailing again I thought or expected that they would be transparent where covid was concerned.  Naive, maybe?  That has not been the case with each line.  Royal was transparent but because they were some people felt uncomfortable and flew home at a port stop, others started to be careful and there was an uneasiness with some.  Carnival on the other hand has not been as forthcoming with numbers.  Their passengers are blissfully in the dark.  

Which is better?  I would like to know what I am dealing with, but that is how I am by nature.  No, it wouldn't necessarily change anything or change my decision to cruise, unless the numbers got really crazy.  What about you?  Would you prefer to know or be kept in the dark?  Would it change whether or not you cruised?

I don't know how many people caught it at Walmart yesterday or the local Tex-Mex restaurant packed wall to wall or the Back to School night or the airport I'm about to use in five days or the hotel following that and I didn't know Disney World numbers back in January before I could even get vaccinated. I don't know the numbers anywhere else in the country so why would I care overly much about the ship? It's the same as everywhere, I'm vaccinated, I wash my hands, I'll wear the mask where required or where I feel I need to otherwise and that's it. There's no real need to know I think. It wouldn't change my mind.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

I actually do want to know. If a ship has any amount of folks test positive I think we should be able to get that info. I am a tell it to me straight kind of gal.

We seem to find out anyway. Would I cancel my cruise that is coming up in 3 weeks? No. It would have to be bad enough that the CDC would shut it down for me to cancel.

I've never known how many have been sick on any cruise I've taken - noro, falls, deaths, etc.  It's really none of my business.  Other than knowing someone went overboard (twice in all my cruises) and seeing an ambulance in port taking someone off the ship, I've generally been unaware of the things that happen regarding any medical circumstances.

I'm fine not knowing unless it directly affects me.

• Like 6

If it does not directly affect me, I do not care to know. It is that person's business and and I would prefer to not think about COVID (as much as is possible) while I am trying to relax on a vacation. I think if there were some big announcement it would put a few knots in my stomach.

• Like 5

I would guess, but certainly don’t know, that they may likely notify those who may have been affected.  After our cruise last March just before shutdown, we received an email notification of positive cases. It was not publicized in the news but they did communicate to those directly affected.  Obviously they have to communicate numbers to CDC, but why the need to report to everyone?   That’s just my take.  

• Like 3

I would expect to be notified if there is a contagion onboard.  🙂 

Which I clearly know, since I booked cruises requiring me to be vaccinated and am going forward even though they now require covid testing prior to boarding also.   There is a pretty ugly contagion everywhere, and the since I live in a State that has never closed businesses completely or had a mask mandate at all, I will be less exposed on the ship than I am anywhere else when I leave home.

I don't think knowing numbers on the ship would do anything except make me anxious about things I have no control over.  I cannot ascertain whether Carnival is strictly following a quarantine process to contain an outbreak, except by looking at the patterns developing by the CDC color chart assigned to the ships.  If something goes red- clearly the $&%^ hit the fan.   But if I am on the ship when it goes to red...  being given a daily update will not make me feel better or protect me in any way.

I understand the desire to KNOW (because I am a control freak) things.  I just don't see how the knowledge will help me protect myself.

• Like 3

I think they should share if there are are cases on board to the passengers as royal has been doing.  I think what we heard about from the vista..that folks immediately masked up and started taking precautions and adhering to guidelines was telling. People took it seriously. 

• Like 1

Because nothing is factual or coming out directly from Carnival, it is all speculation. When the rumor of 27 infected with Covid came out, everyone said it was a lie. Turns out it is probably far more true than not. Instead of owning it, they tried to hide it. Turns out it was 1 passenger and 26 crew members.

They are not going to announce it to the people on the cruise. They are not going to mention it to the media. They are going to try to keep all the information silent and hidden except reporting to the CDC as required. The CDC needs a better color system: 0 cases Green; 1-5 cases Yellow; >5 Red. CDC should make it that a ship cannot sail for 2 weeks if Red. This will change a lot about their protocols, procedures, and having unvaxxed onboard. I know, I know...the 26 crew members were vaccinated. But still, far less chance if vaccinate for any symptoms. I know about PD who just came down with it on Mardi Gras. If they didn't put it on Youtube, no one would have known.

Edited by BoozinCroozin

It really doesn't matter.  People are going to get catch the virus just like they do everywhere else.  No one is running a ticker on how many people contracted it at your local grocery store or church or at the airport for the flights to the cruise.  It is what it is.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ray98 said:

It really doesn't matter.  People are going to get catch the virus just like they do everywhere else.  No one is running a ticker on how many people contracted it at your local grocery store or church or at the airport for the flights to the cruise.  It is what it is.

It is probably useful to think of a cruise ship in a different way than your local grocery store unless you spend all week there with the same people, circulating the aisles from the deli to the wine section, maybe sleeping on a nice sun lounger in the garden department.

People you encounter in the course of running errands do not present the same risk, with the caveat that the Delta variant has changed things.

Having said that, vaccinated people on a cruise ship probably are at low risk except for minor symptoms and inconvenience. It is the unvaccinated ones to worry about.

1 hour ago, pjhootch said:

I would expect to be notified if there is a contagion onboard.  🙂 

Which I clearly know, since I booked cruises requiring me to be vaccinated and am going forward even though they now require covid testing prior to boarding also.   There is a pretty ugly contagion everywhere, and the since I live in a State that has never closed businesses completely or had a mask mandate at all, I will be less exposed on the ship than I am anywhere else when I leave home.

I don't think knowing numbers on the ship would do anything except make me anxious about things I have no control over.  I cannot ascertain whether Carnival is strictly following a quarantine process to contain an outbreak, except by looking at the patterns developing by the CDC color chart assigned to the ships.  If something goes red- clearly the $&%^ hit the fan.   But if I am on the ship when it goes to red...  being given a daily update will not make me feel better or protect me in any way.

I understand the desire to KNOW (because I am a control freak) things.  I just don't see how the knowledge will help me protect myself.

Consider yourself notified - there are ALWAYS contagions on board a cruise ship.. and in a plane.. and in Walmart.. and.. ok you get the point..

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

If you are vaccinated what difference does it make. You've done all you can do. You might still catch it but won't die. Problem solved. Cruise on. 

And please wear our mask at least until we can somewhat minimize this Delta wave. 

1 hour ago, Babr said:

It is probably useful to think of a cruise ship in a different way than your local grocery store unless you spend all week there with the same people, circulating the aisles from the deli to the wine section, maybe sleeping on a nice sun lounger in the garden department.

The risk level is no different if you do similar activities on land.  Actually a cruise would be less risky unless you are in some community where 95% of people are vaccinated. 

You go somewhere, stay in a hotel, eat at local restaurants, hang out by the hotel pool during the day, visit a local bar to enjoy some live music in the evening, ect.  You are still exposed just as much as on a cruise ship.  The only difference is there isn't a captive audience so you can easily see at the end of the week that there were 6, 8 or 10 infections.

It is the same with Noro.  Everyone freaks out thinking a cruise is Noro center.  It isn't, a cruise just makes it easy to track.  The people who contract it on land at a restaurant or grocery store all disperse into society and all assume they just have some 'stomach bug' as they later suffer alone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Because nothing is factual or coming out directly from Carnival, it is all speculation. When the rumor of 27 infected with Covid came out, everyone said it was a lie. Turns out it is probably far more true than not. Instead of owning it, they tried to hide it. Turns out it was 1 passenger and 26 crew members.

Having no comment is not hiding, lying, or denying. And the 27 is still over 2 cruises.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

They are not going to announce it to the people on the cruise. They are not going to mention it to the media. They are going to try to keep all the information silent and hidden except reporting to the CDC as required. The CDC needs a better color system: 0 cases Green; 1-5 cases Yellow; >5 Red. CDC should make it that a ship cannot sail for 2 weeks if Red. This will change a lot about their protocols, procedures, and having unvaxxed onboard. I know, I know...the 26 crew members were vaccinated. But still, far less chance if vaccinate for any symptoms. I know about PD who just came down with it on Mardi Gras. If they didn't put it on Youtube, no one would have known.

The Captain on Vista did announce it along with more stringent protocols. Carnival makes announcements when it makes sense to.

• Like 2

Numbers on land are announced all the time and ignored by most people. Others deny the numbers and spread misinformation. Cruise ships are safer than staying on land. That's all I need to know. That and Carnival follows the science and CDC.

There is no point in announcing numbers on a ship. People will just misinterpret them, and lie with statistics. If, and when, there is an outbreak of significance, I'm sure we will know.

There is no blackout of information coming from the ship. There are many live threads and bloggers on all the ships. Even if not live, almost everyone has a camera. There are no conspiracies.

This Virus is with us and we will need to follow the rules as they are outlined by our Professional Medical community. There is no real need to deviate from the reality of this matter. 

Just at least try and do what's asked of all of us. The most alarming element to this Virus is that it is starting to effect young children. Hopefully the will be a vaccine mandate soon for them.    

• Like 1

As with most things in life, expect less and you'll be less disappointed - hence; happier.  Carnival is cooperating with CDC and coordinating efforts based on CDC guidance.  Florida may think CDC is the "big gubmint bad guys" but CDC has the experts and coordinate with WHO and other agencies with true experts, scientists, researchers and doctors.  Hakuna Matata.  😁  🏴‍☠️

1 hour ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

If you are vaccinated what difference does it make. You've done all you can do. You might still catch it but won't die. Problem solved. Cruise on. 

Exactly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

As with most things in life, expect less and you'll be less disappointed - hence; happier.  Carnival is cooperating with CDC and coordinating efforts based on CDC guidance.  Florida may think CDC is the "big gubmint bad guys" but CDC has the experts and coordinate with WHO and other agencies with true experts, scientists, researchers and doctors.  Hakuna Matata.  😁  🏴‍☠️

Nice. How bad do we really want to Cruise? Let's do what is asked of us all and our Cruise Wishes will become and/or remain a reality!!! If we keep doing what is not recommended then that "Disappointment" will continue. I would rather the "Happiness" prevail!!! 

• Like 1

Well it seems the majority doesn't want to know or see any value in having the knowledge.  It is true that you can catch the virus, well, pretty much anywhere.  However, I find myself adapting to my  environment.  Is this dangerous, probably?  When I feel comfortable in my environment, I find that I am not as diligent with things.  I may not wear a mask or use hand sanitizer as much.  However, if I know there is an increased risk or someone at work in our area tested positive I may wear my mask more and sanitize my hands more.  

Question: would having the knowledge or numbers on the ship change your behavior at all or would you continue as if nothing has changed?

I guess the whole masking part of this ongoing issue is not a big deal for my family. We have family members with historical underlying health conditions which requires all of us to continuously wear our masks. I have never stopped wearing my mask out of pure respect and concern for my family.

While it remains a personal choice I don't have a choice!!! I will wear mine until Covid eases.