Haven Questions

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Please explain.

After Joy's refurb for the North American market, there were Haven suites with Haven access and Concierge Suites which didn't have Haven access. Then last year....

In an effort to enhance the guest experience, the Concierge Class aboard Norwegian Joy will be removed, and certain Concierge category staterooms will be recategorized as Haven Suite categories.

...and those certain staterooms meant that the total number of staterooms with Haven access was 118 which is more than any other BA/BA Plus ship. Joy's Haven wasn't meant for that many more people especially when looking at Bliss and Encore which are most similar to Joy.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

After Joy's refurb for the North American market, there were Haven suites with Haven access and Concierge Suites which didn't have Haven access. Then last year....

In an effort to enhance the guest experience, the Concierge Class aboard Norwegian Joy will be removed, and certain Concierge category staterooms will be recategorized as Haven Suite categories.

...and those certain staterooms meant that the total number of staterooms with Haven access was 118 which is more than any other BA/BA Plus ship. Joy's Haven wasn't meant for that many more people especially when looking at Bliss and Encore which are most similar to Joy.

Well done and thank you.  My question is because I am on the Joy, in the Haven at the end of Nov 2021.  It seems at this time, there is a lot of Haven Suites unsold and with the new Vaccinated ONLY even children rules, something tells me that cruise will not be full especially in the Haven.  I had heard something like what you said before and it was very kind of you to educate myself and others.  

FYI, My original cruise bookings, three prior to the Joy were on the Encore.  Then three cancellations.  Then I gave up and went for the Joy.  I hope me thoughts are correct.  Thank you again.

27 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

IMHO the outsider Haven threads are misguided.  There are not flocks of outsiders sneaking in the Haven.  Many times I would prefer outsiders compared to some Haven guests. My last trip on Encore, the Haven was a tranquil heaven.  However, I have seen Haven teenagers all crammed in the hot tubs and the Haven pool taken over by toddlers diving for their toys.  Someone posted an Encore video of small kids screaming playing hide and seek in the Horizon lounge.  It all depends when you sail. I like to sail in February when kids are in school.

Oh boy, did you just open up a topic.  I am the OP of a CruiseCritic post called, the "Secrets of the Haven VIP Experience". It is long and detailed.  Two sentences said something about little kids and teens taking over the Haven Courtyard.  You can't imagine the hateful comments I got from parents.  I hope that does not happen here.

You have the "Rules to the Game" right.  Don't go Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break or New Years.  That is why my next NCL cruise is the week after Thanksgiving.  Also, go on one of the larger ships that have the retractable roof on the Haven Courtyard and deck 19 is an adults only Haven Sundeck with two giant hot tubs.  

I had a similar experience as you did and off holiday bookings fixed the glitch. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Could you please explain what exactly are the non-haven haven staterooms on Gem?

Go on to the Gem and choose a date.  The Haven rooms are at the very end of the listing.  I think I answered that right.  Those that have been on the Gem, can you help on this question please 

14 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Go on to the Gem and choose a date.  The Haven rooms are at the very end of the listing.  I think I answered that right.  Those that have been on the Gem, can you help on this question please 

I have booked a 2BR villa in the Haven on the Gem.  I've seen where there are some staterooms that are not physically located in the Haven but have some kind of limited access to Haven facilities.  I don't understand this as my only Haven experience is on Epic, not a smaller ship.

9 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I have booked a 2BR villa in the Haven on the Gem.  I've seen where there are some staterooms that are not physically located in the Haven but have some kind of limited access to Haven facilities.  I don't understand this as my only Haven experience is on Epic, not a smaller ship.

There are 4 Owner's Suites on the Gem on Deck 9 & 10 in the front of the ship and they have complete access to the Haven.  There are also 2 Garden Villas and 2 Deluxe Owner's Suites (above the Garden Villas), making a total of 18 cabins having access to the Haven Courtyard.  Remember there is NO Haven Restaurant or Bar on the Gem.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

It seems at this time, there is a lot of Haven Suites unsold and with the new Vaccinated ONLY even children rules, something tells me that cruise will not be full especially in the Haven.

I agree. It's impossible to know what Joy's Haven will be like when things get back to normal...if they ever do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

You can have the butler serve a meal in your cabin and have non Haven dinner guests there. 

That's what we were thinking of doing next week. MIL is sailing in an inside cabin, so we were going to ask the butler if it was possible to have 2 Haven dinners brought to the room with a dinner from the main dining room. We're in an aft cabin, so no need to 'sneak' anyone anywhere at all.

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

That's what we were thinking of doing next week. MIL is sailing in an inside cabin, so we were going to ask the butler if it was possible to have 2 Haven dinners brought to the room with a dinner from the main dining room. We're in an aft cabin, so no need to 'sneak' anyone anywhere at all.

You can just order whatever you want from the Haven Dining room for all your guests.  It's more of a hassle for your butler to get food from the MDR

12 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Oh boy, did you just open up a topic.  I am the OP of a CruiseCritic post called, the "Secrets of the Haven VIP Experience". It is long and detailed.  Two sentences said something about little kids and teens taking over the Haven Courtyard.  You can't imagine the hateful comments I got from parents.  I hope that does not happen here.

You have the "Rules to the Game" right.  Don't go Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break or New Years.  That is why my next NCL cruise is the week after Thanksgiving.  Also, go on one of the larger ships that have the retractable roof on the Haven Courtyard and deck 19 is an adults only Haven Sundeck with two giant hot tubs.  

I had a similar experience as you did and off holiday bookings fixed the glitch. 

They paid for the Haven so they are entitled to use the services.  We are not big pool people so it does not bother us.  The ships that have the covered roof makes it very loud in there when children are playing.  My last experience on the Encore in Feb 2020 was truly like a luxury line.  Quiet Zen music playing in the Horizon lounge, no kids or family dominating the pool, hot tubs either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

They paid for the Haven so they are entitled to use the services.  We are not big pool people so it does not bother us.  The ships that have the covered roof makes it very loud in there when children are playing.  My last experience on the Encore in Feb 2020 was truly like a luxury line.  Quiet Zen music playing in the Horizon lounge, no kids or family dominating the pool, hot tubs either.

I could not agree with you more as my post said.  My comment is the topic of children is not often met with kind remarks.  All this is a non-issue for the next 6 months or so.  The key to remember about the Haven and Families is the two bedroom Family Villa's allows many family to bring their children at little to no cost.  This usually on holiday dates makes it much more crowded with families.  Not an issue.  The issue is and we are careful explaining, that many (Not all so chill parents, I was one) parents think letting their 5-10 year olds loose with no supervision in the Haven Courtyard is OK.  Most kids are respectful, some are not.  I have been on several cruises where it was not as pleasant as it should have been.  All of this can be eliminated with proper parental supervision.

My approach is just go to when it is not a holiday.  Problem solved. Again, parents of children in the Haven.  I am talking about every one else children but not yours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I just looked it up, the Bliss, Escape, and Encore both have 95 Haven rooms, which is not very far from 118 honestly.  It's about 20% more rooms.  While this isn't perfect it also is not a reason to avoid the ship.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I just looked it up, the Bliss, Escape, and Encore both have 95 Haven rooms, which is not very far from 118 honestly.  It's about 20% more rooms.  While this isn't perfect it also is not a reason to avoid the ship.  

I think that the biggest problem might be with The Haven Dining Room.  On Escape on numerous sailings, the dining room was not able to keep up with the number of passengers showing up.

On our last sailing on the final night, we showed up at the podium at our usual 8:30 ish for dinner. The room was PACKED and the maitre'd and hostesses looked like their heads would explode.

We already had a great relationship with them and I simply asked: "would it be easier for you if you bought dinner for me at Cagney's?"  I swear that the sound waves from my voice were still travelling through the air while he already had the phone in his hands! Five minutes later we were seated at the back window wall of Cagney's.

If they adopt similar mitigation policies, it can work out well.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I could not agree with you more.  Even when I have been in a Haven Completely booked, I never felt like there was a lot of folks there.  What I did feel and I can't say this strongly enough, I felt my treatment in the Haven was first class.  I felt that when I left the Haven the treatment was less then perfect and I am being politically correct.  However, I love the big ship feeling and appreciate having the option.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I think that the biggest problem might be with The Haven Dining Room.  On Escape on numerous sailings, the dining room was not able to keep up with the number of passengers showing up.

On our last sailing on the final night, we showed up at the podium at our usual 8:30 ish for dinner. The room was PACKED and the maitre'd and hostesses looked like their heads would explode.

We already had a great relationship with them and I simply asked: "would it be easier for you if you bought dinner for me at Cagney's?"  I swear that the sound waves from my voice were still travelling through the air while he already had the phone in his hands! Five minutes later we were seated at the back window wall of Cagney's.

If they adopt similar mitigation policies, it can work out well.

So, first, wow, I have never seen it that crowded, but my wife and I are more of a 6-6:30 dinner crowd.  We also cruise on off months, October, February, etc. to avoid big vacation times.   Second, are you saying the gave you a free meal at Cagney's to make up for it?  How great of them to accommodate you as guests this way, they could have just as easily told you to go wait in the Haven lounge for a table to open and it would have been an acceptable action on their part.

Just now, oteixeira said:

So, first, wow, I have never seen it that crowded, but my wife and I are more of a 6-6:30 dinner crowd.  We also cruise on off months, October, February, etc. to avoid big vacation times.   Second, are you saying the gave you a free meal at Cagney's to make up for it?  How great of them to accommodate you as guests this way, they could have just as easily told you to go wait in the Haven lounge for a table to open and it would have been an acceptable action on their part.

We usually cruise in late February or in May to Bermuda. They absolutely picked up the tab!

On other sailings, the dining room was empty as people were packing. It all depends on the crowd.

During the cruise, we had many friendly conversations with the "podium" people. By the end of the week, I can usually tell you the staff's cruise, family and education history!  I think that they just wanted to keep us happy!

11 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I could not agree with you more.  Even when I have been in a Haven Completely booked, I never felt like there was a lot of folks there.  What I did feel and I can't say this strongly enough, I felt my treatment in the Haven was first class.  I felt that when I left the Haven the treatment was less then perfect and I am being politically correct.  However, I love the big ship feeling and appreciate having the option.  

On our first Haven to Bermuda on Breakaway in 2014, we had a lovely bar server who we would chat with outside on the deck. It was funny how the deck had that imitation teak decking and it abruptly ended and became painted deck just at the lip of the steel door leading to the regular outdoor deck space.

At the end of many chats, she would sigh dramatically  and say "oh well, time for The Population" and head towards and through the steel door!

Straight to Hell but we've called it The Population ever since!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

Escape has 95

Joy has 118

Bliss has 80

Encore has 80

There's no reason to avoid any of them but when you combine that Joy has the most Haven staterooms, no Spa, and the shortest go-kart track, I would put Joy 3rd amongst the Plus ships that have an Observation Lounge and go-karts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

It all depends on the crowd.

I agree. It's the behavior of guests that is more important than the age or number of guests. 

Adding to the number of guests does increase the chances of inappropriate behavior but I'd rather sail in the Haven with 200 well behaved guests than with  50 obnoxious or inconsiderate guests.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Escape has 95

Joy has 118

Bliss has 80

Encore has 80

There's no reason to avoid any of them but when you combine that Joy has the most Haven staterooms, no Spa, and the shortest go-kart track, I would put Joy 3rd amongst the Plus ships that have an Observation Lounge and go-karts.  

Pretty sure this is more then 80:

https://www.icruise.com/c/cabin-list.php?WMPHShipCode=658

If I am counting right looks like Encore has 125 haven category rooms.  I have found references to 80, and 95 multiple times on the internet, so really have no idea how to prove which is right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

That list has incorrect numbers as well as numbers that are repeated. 

My count matches the following....

What types of accommodations are offered at The Haven on Norwegian Encore?

The ship has a total of 80 all-suite Haven staterooms: The majority of them (50) are located in a two-story complex at the bow of the boat that spans both the 17th and 18th decks. That area feels much like a private residential neighborhood overlooking a central courtyard. 

Another 30 Haven suites are scattered on Decks 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15, most of them either aft- or forward-facing cabins, many with sweeping ocean views.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I agree. It's the behavior of guests that is more important than the age or number of guests. 

Adding to the number of guests does increase the chances of inappropriate behavior but I'd rather sail in the Haven with 200 well behaved guests than with  50 obnoxious or inconsiderate guests.  

Yup .... we have seen how ONE couple can throw off the entire Haven restaurant....

This next story has nothing to do with that except it's kinda' funny! One of THE most obnoxious groups we ever encountered was a noisy, foul-mouthed,  loud and JPG (Just Plain Gross) gaggle of people in and around the whirlpool outside on Escape.   Many of the people around us were rolling our eyes at each other until one of the obnoxious-ees paid for a drink .....

Our eagle-eyed friends who we were travelling with INSTANTLY saw his NON-Haven key card! I discreetly asked the waiter as he walked by and he said confirmed this observation. I marched my way down to the Concierge who said that there really was nothing he could do!!!!!

I continued my march (more of a furious, head-down vent) to Guest Relations where the agent immediately called security. Ten minutes later, two very polite security officers fanned the deck asking if people could just display their key cards. About 16 people left!  It ultimately turned out it was a couple in the Haven with over a dozen of their nearest and dearest. 

It was so quite and lovely afterwards!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe I'm  wrong but these are the numbers I came up with:

haven cabins - ENCORE
deck 18  total 22

H2 2  
H6 11   
HE 1    
HF 8    

Deck 17 total 28

H5 13 
HE 15

Deck 15 total 8

HB   2
H9   6

Deck 14 total 2

HC 2

Deck 13 total 4
HC 2
HG 2

Deck 12 total 4
HB 2
HG 2

Deck 11 total 4
HC 2
HG 2

Deck 10 total 4
HC 2
HG 2

Deck 9  total 4
HB 2
HG 2

Total Haven Staterooms 80

• Like 1

It is SO nice to have conversations like this.  It means we are all taking our upcoming cruises and reservations seriously.  I can remember, not so long ago, all we talked about was:

1. Waiting on a Refund
  2. Why did I take the FCC
  3. Yet another cruise was cancelled.

I will talk about the Haven and number of the suites on the Joy, and other ships until the cows come home.  It is so nice just to actually think we all can cruise together again.

1. I promise to not wear a bathing suit in the Haven Restaurant. 
  2. I promise not to be, as my family says, "THAT GUY!!!!". 
  3. I promise not to sneak friends into the Haven!
  4. I promise not smoke cigars where I am not allowed. 
  5. I promise not to drink all the Vodka on the ship. (This one I am not sure of)

I just want to cruise in the Haven one more time in the next 12 months.  Is that to much to ask.  Cruise well everyone.

• Like 3