Mardi Gras - Aug. 21 - 28, 2021, 7 Nights - Western Caribbean Live

twangster

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

twangster was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I know what you are thinking.  Another Mardi Gras trip report.  Yawn.  

There have been some brilliant threads from other users but for those that have seen my threads for other cruise lines know I tend to be picture intensive...  I let my photos speak a thousand words.  This will be one of those types of threads - lots of photos.

As a photographer I draw inspiration from beautiful ships and when I started seeing details emerge about Mardi Gras I knew I had to sail her.  

This may be my most anticipated venture away from my primary cruise line.   I've sailed Carnival before and I'm just three cruises away from Platinum but it's been a couple years since I've sailed Carnival.  

I'm a big fan of cruising in general and the industry needs support so I'm doing my part by sailing many different lines in 2021.  I've got four different lines sailed or booked and I'm looking to add at least another cruise line to my 2021 portfolio.  With reduced capacity it's a great time to cruise!

I'm not a fan of most protocols found on ships these days.  After round after round of cancellations earlier in 2021 and then learning about protocols to restart I was getting discouraged.  None of it sounded any fun at all.  Then I was invited to sail on a CDC simulation cruise on another line and I couldn't turn down a free cruise.  That magic feeling of stepping on a cruise ship after such a long break was incredible. 

On that simulation cruise I had to wear a mask indoors and there were other protocols to follow but anyone who loves to cruise knows that feeling of being on a cruise, smelling the salt air and seeing wake views.  That was a short 2 night cruise but it showed me that it is possible to cruise with protocols and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  That was a turning point for me.  Cruising is back and I'm not going to miss the opportunity to get back to the type of vacation I love the most.  That test cruise taught me protocols aren't the big thing I feared they would be.  

Itinerary:

mg-day0-Itinerary.jpg

Cabin for this cruise will be a forward extended balcony overlooking the bow.  

I'm generally careful about booking forward balcony cabins due to the potential for wind while at sea and the steel barrier instead of glass but I'm also a big fan of forwards views.  This type of cabin is nearly nonexistent on Royal Caribbean and as a photographer the appeal of forward views is strong so I decided to give it try.  There will be plenty of opportunity to try other cabins elsewhere on the ship in the years to come and I have some ideas about a sail away time lapse video.  My forward balcony should be ideal for that.

My appointment time for terminal check-in is 11:30am.  With Terminal 3 at Port Canaveral being a brand new terminal I'm looking forward to experiencing that as well.

I've been eagerly following Mardi Gras even before she arrived in the United States and I was there to capture the moment she first arrived in Port Canaveral so before I get into this cruise I'll going to post some of the pictures I've captured up to this point. 

• Like 8

I've posted some of these photos in other threads but I've decided to post them again in this thread to consolidate everything in one place.

Let's go back to June 4.

This was a big day for Port Canaveral because not only did Mardi Gras make her first appearance in the U.S. but Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas did as well.  

A large crowd had formed arriving in the dark before dawn to meet the newest ships for both lines.

Upon first sight you could tell this was a large ship.  

mg-6-4-21-1.jpg

The port supplied a water cannon salute.

mg-6-4-21-2.jpg

mg-6-4-21-3.jpg

mg-6-4-21-4.jpg

mg-6-4-21-5.jpg

mg-6-4-21-6.jpg

Crew lined her railings to greet us.

mg-6-4-21-7.jpg

mg-6-4-21-8.jpg

mg-6-4-21-9.jpg

After sailing past us she turned in the mid port turning basin and came back towards us to settle into terminal 3.

mg-6-4-21-10.jpg

I can see my cabin!

mg-6-4-21-11.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The morning of July 29, 2021 I had an opportunity to sail past the Mardi Gras as we returned to Port Canaveral aboard Allure of the Seas as we finished up a CDC simulation cruise. 

As I have been following the videos posted by John Heald I learned that Mardi Gras was in Miami and my hopes of capturing some photos of her as we sailed out of Port Canaveral were dashed.   

Fortunately Mardi Gras sailed back to Port Canaveral in time for our return and I was up before the crack of dawn to capture a different side of Mardi Gras compared to what I've seen driving past her many times on land.  

We reached the pilot station at 6am and soon after I started taking pictures.

MG-7-29-21-1.jpg

MG-7-29-21-2.jpg

A hint of daybreak started as we snuck up on her.

MG-7-29-21-3.jpg

MG-7-29-21-4.jpg

There is a natural desire is to try to find your cabin on any ship you are thinking about booking so I'm putting a bunch of pictures in this post.  This is for all those like me looking anywhere and everyone for pictures of this beautiful ship!

MG-7-29-21-5.jpg

MG-7-29-21-6.jpg

MG-7-29-21-7.jpg

MG-7-29-21-8.jpg

MG-7-29-21-10.jpg

I also wanted to capture what I could of the activity area and of course the roller coaster Bolt!

MG-7-29-21-11.jpg

MG-7-29-21-13.jpg

Some crew were out waving as we passed by.

MG-7-29-21-14.jpg

MG-7-29-21-15.jpg

MG-7-29-21-16.jpg

MG-7-29-21-17.jpg

MG-7-29-21-18.jpg

MG-7-29-21-19.jpg

MG-7-29-21-20.jpg

Here is a Port Canaveral sunrise with a silhouette of Mardi Gras.

MG-7-29-21-21.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finally on July 31, 2021 the big day came for the Mardi Gras inaugural sailing with revenue guests!

I was back at the Port Canaveral Jetty Park to get some pictures of the starboard side of the ship.

mg-pcn-7-31-21-1.jpg

The Port Canaveral channel lines up East-West and there was a strong sun behind her as she was getting ready to sail.  That doesn't make for the best photography but it is what it is.

Finally the time came and she left the pier for the first time with guests on board!

mg-pcn-7-31-21-3.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-4.jpg

More crowds came out to see her off.

mg-pcn-7-31-21-5.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-6.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-7.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-8.jpg

It was so great to see her with guests lining the railings and watching sail away from their balconies.

mg-pcn-7-31-21-9.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-10.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-11.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-12.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-13.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-14.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-15.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-16.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-17.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-18.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-19.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-20.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-21.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-22.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-23.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-24.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-25.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-26.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-27.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-29.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-30.jpg

mg-pcn-7-31-21-31.jpg

Finally into the Atlantic with guests on board.  Bon Voyage!

mg-pcn-7-31-21-32.jpg

• Like 3

One of the protocols that virtually all cruise lines have in place at the moment is testing for all guests regardless of vaccination status.

I've done a few of these now but judging by the reaction in some social media groups for my sailing it can be a source of stress for some.

In my experience it's not a big deal.  No cruise line is trying to find a way to keep you off their ship.  The big thing to understand is the time it takes for results to come back for the different types of test that are accepted.  You can't board without the right test results in hand so do some research for what's available where you live and prepare accordingly.

In my case using retail pharmacy testing my PCR tests have come back in 36 to 48 hours.  My rapid test results from the same pharmacies come back in hours.  Not all retailers in my area offer rapid testing.  Both are accepted.  Both have been free for me.

At any rate I have my test results in hand and I'm ready to sail!  

• Like 3

Living in the area has provided me an opportunity to go visit Mardi Gras on numerous occasions before she started sailing with guests.

Here is one of those visits.

To be clear, arriving guests won't follow the same route that I took.  All guests will turn into the terminal 3 parking garage for drop off and parking if you are parking at the terminal.  I drove past the terminal 3 drop off entrance and into the boat parking lot for the local boat ramp.  There is no cruiser parking in the boat parking lot next door to terminal 3.  

Absolutely nothing wrong with another Mardi Gras review thread.  Currently being a sponge absorbing as much as possible through the boards as well as various vloggers on YouTube.  We are currently booked on her for Halloween and again on a B2B over Labor Day in 2022.  For good measure we are on her sister ship the Celebration for a unique 5 day cruise in January of 2023 that will be a side 2 side with the NCL Encore out of Miami.  May even consider the TA or one of the first cruises before she settles into Galveston on Excel 3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Just gonna burry my live review in shame after seeing Twangs lol 

Come on man!  Don't do that!  The more, the merrier.  I can't be in places.  We all have different goals on a cruise.  Crank it up!

• Like 5

twangster.

Have a great cruise.  We do that itinerary the week after Thanksgiving.

I'm really curious as to what has happened, if anything, in both Cozumel and Costa Maya after Hurricane Grace came through this week.  satellite map looks looked like the nature preserve right to the  north of CM got hit directly, which probably means CM got the direct hit too.  News pictures of Cancun showed lots of flooding, so Coz had to have been impacted.

Also curious as to what's open and transportation to and from Mahahual beach in CM.  

But until you post information, I'm going to sit back and enjoy your picture show.  Loving the ship.

• Like 1

Just now, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Btw Twang on the last night about 330am SpaceX is launching a Rocket. 

Keeping an eye on that.  Will have to see what weather is like and our position then hoping the launch isn't scrubbed.  

• Like 1

Looking forward to this review. We are booked for Oct 9th. Normally sail royal but are looking forward to this new ship! We are booked in a cove balcony. Has anyone else noticed the lights underneath the lifeboats that seem to shine in on the cove balconies? I noticed it in the early morning pictures above. Great pictures by the way!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steelers0854 said:

@twangster what kind of equipment are you using?  The pics look great!  Do you do geotagging?  If so, built in or post production?  Guessing your transferring to a laptop and uploading here?  Thanks for the great pics and look forward to your posts!

I shoot in RAW and do post in software.