Did you hear John Heald say you need medical documentation and a Dr Note if treated for covid-like illness that's not covid?

AtSeaWithChris

25 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

That doesn't make much sense if you test negative....

They are trying to avoid pax from boarding that have a different but risk-inducing illness/condition.

He said "non-COVID illness", like a severe cold or the flu or some other crud.

I watched his video this morning.

I think the cruise line is realizing that many passengers are boarding with medical conditions that are not stable.

What I mean by stable is that it is a new illness or condition that could get worse on board.

Carnival is obviously trying to protect themselves from passengers who board with an illness and then get sick on board.

You would think it would be obvious that if you had a medical issue prior to going on a cruise you would want to confirm with your physician that you were healthy enough to travel.

One month before my first cruise I had a gallbladder attack and found out I would be getting my gallbladder out within 3 months.

I had to call my insurance company to confirm that I would be covered and I also asked my doctor if it was safe to travel.

Based on the conversations on here about insurance and annoyances about medical restrictions, I guess not everyone is as cautious.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Based on the conversations on here about insurance and annoyances about medical restrictions, I guess not everyone is as cautious.

You're obviously more sensible than a lot of people.  After investing a decent amount of money for a vacation, along with months of anticipation, many folks (including some I know) would fool themselves into thinking it's all going to be ok.  

• Like 1

When families have put out $$$$ to have a cruise, behaviorally, they use that to justify going instead of cancelling at last minute if they are ill. Unless Carnival is using temperature checks on boarding, a person can probably fake a flu onset or the sniffles.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

When families have put out $$$$ to have a cruise, behaviorally, they use that to justify going instead of cancelling at last minute if they are ill. Unless Carnival is using temperature checks on boarding, a person can probably fake a flu onset or the sniffles.  

I was covid positive for at least 17 days - never ran a fever. This is one of those "feel good" measures that will not catch covid.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Testing everyone would catch a lot.

Everyone is already being tested, so . . . 

Really - the bottom line here, and on most of these threads, can be summed up in two sentences. If you are happy with Carnival's policies and procedures re: covid, then happy sailing to you. If you disagree with the way Carnival is handling covid policies and procedures, then stay at home.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

There are both false positives and negatives.

yes,  but if you have a ‘Covid-like’ illness, and you tested negative. Your doctor will support that you are sick but not covid. Which is the same result that a negative test gives you.

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I don't think this is Covid related. We can argue symptoms and testing etc but the announcement was about non covid illnesses.

I also think this isn't about cruising with the flu. I think this is about serious medical issues that can create huge issues when on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

yes,  but if you have a ‘Covid-like’ illness, and you tested negative. Your doctor will support that you are sick but not covid. Which is the same result that a negative test gives you.

Tests are not always conclusive.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Tests are not always conclusive.

What?? Yes, of course. Not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand…

If you get sick with Covid like symptoms and then test negative; if you doctor has to write a note to carnival it’s going to say that you tested negative and it’s not Covid. Because they don’t have any information to the contrary. Covid looks very much like a cold for most people. So doctor is just going to parrot the negative test you show carnival. If you have a negative test to show them, what’s the value of your doctor saying the same thing?

• Like 2

LOL! Do you have any idea what all would be included in "covid-like" illness?  Allergies, hangover, food poisoning, insomnia, lethargy, depression, fatigue, body aches, hunger, migraine, pulled muscle(s), over-exertion, stress... Please - stop the madness!  

• Like 3

He stated that if you answer yes to if you've been sick within the last 14 days on the medical questionnaire, you need to show a doctor's note to explain what your specific diagnosis is.  Then when you get to the ship, there will be medical professionals to review your diagnosis, notes, and symptoms to decide if it is safe for you to be onboard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Pretty sure Carnival has the right to test anyone, and if they can't prove it isn't covid, Carnival (and the CDC) are going to assume it is.

In theory, they have the right to refuse service like any other business

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

False positives, false negatives, and now inconclusive results. 

Repeatedly inconclusive or invalid viral test results are those unable to register a positive or negative reading for COVID-19.

If you need more information, ask your healthcare provider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nina_930 said:

He stated that if you answer yes to if you've been sick within the last 14 days on the medical questionnaire, you need to show a doctor's note to explain what your specific diagnosis is.  Then when you get to the ship, there will be medical professionals to review your diagnosis, notes, and symptoms to decide if it is safe for you to be onboard.

guess there will be many no's to that question

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

According to several different studies with the earlier variants there is a high number of false negatives even with a PCR test.  A John Hopkins study found that even with symptomatic illness the rate of false negatives went from 80% pre-symptoms, down to 20% on day 4 after symptoms, then climbing again.  There is clear medical documentation on people in ICU that repeatedly tested negative to nose swabs, only to test positive to a deep lung sample.

Have not  seen any recent studies to see if this holds up to the same level with Delta and its higher viral load levels.

Tests are a good screening mechanism that will catch a number of cases, but it will not catch them all.  It is possible that somebody, even while infected, will test negative. At least 20% accoding to the John Hopkins study.

• Like 1