Does the Majestic have an outside jogging/walking area?

Tall Valley Cruiser

The Royal class ships eliminated the walk around Promenade deck that many of us used for exercise on the older ships.
As a substitute, they added a jogging/walking  track up on deck 18 outside. My wife and I enjoyed using it on the Royal Princess. We are sailing on the Majestic soon. I do not see a jogging track indicated on the deck plan unlike all the other Royal class ships. We do not want to use the treadmills in the fitness center inside at this time of COVID.
Can anyone who is on the Majestic now or who has been on it recently answer my question? Thank you very much.

Yes, though it is small and circles around the aft half of the ship to under the movie screen. It was about 5-6 circuits to equal a mile I believe. It tucks in through the corners of the basketball court, and doesn't have very long straightaways - lots of twists. I was only walking, but I would think the many turns would make jogging a little less fun.

I loved doing that circuit in the mornings in Alaska - let me keep an eye out for all the whales and wildlife on all sides of the ship as I moved around.

Make sure to check for the signs that tell you which direction to go (clockwise!) on the path. It's bothersome to run in to people going the opposite direction on the skinnier sections.

24 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:

Make sure to check for the signs that tell you which direction to go (clockwise!) on the path. It's bothersome to run in to people going the opposite direction on the skinnier sections.

Clockwise? That's odd. All of the other ships I've been on have you going counter-clockwise. My walking shoes are laced up and ready to go - 11 days until we sail.

9 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

Clockwise? That's odd. All of the other ships I've been on have you going counter-clockwise. My walking shoes are laced up and ready to go - 11 days until we sail.

I agree.  If the signs do indicate clockwise there will be lots of confusion among those that have done many cruises.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

Clockwise? Could be. Ship was designed for the Asia market. Look for the arrows and you'll get it right.  

I've always wondered about which is the "appropriate" direction to walk on the (now defunct) Promenade deck on all the other ships.  So Counter-Clockwise is the correct answer for Grand Ships?  No wonder I got so many strange looks.  Turning "right" when I walked out the door seemed so natural.  

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Clockwise? Could be. Ship was designed for the Asia market. Look for the arrows and you'll get it right.  

That actually makes sense. I know my first time up there I went what I felt was the standard direction, until I ran in to the signs and had to switch. It felt wrong to me at first, so it being an Asian market ship makes me feel a little better. 

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I've always wondered about which is the "appropriate" direction to walk on the (now defunct) Promenade deck on all the other ships.  So Counter-Clockwise is the correct answer for Grand Ships?  No wonder I got so many strange looks.  Turning "right" when I walked out the door seemed so natural.  

Many ships have the track floor painted with the direction, along with a lane for walkers and one for runners, so you never really have to think about it. On the Majestic there were only a couple small metal plate signs on the bulkhead to show you which way is correct.

1 hour ago, ChangeOrder said:

Many ships have the track floor painted with the direction, along with a lane for walkers and one for runners, so you never really have to think about it. On the Majestic there were only a couple small metal plate signs on the bulkhead to show you which way is correct.

I am not a fan of the Royal Class ships and generally will walk the sheltered Promenade deck on the Grand Class ships.  There are no "directional markers" or I have never seen any.  I don't like walking on jogging tracks since they are generally uncovered.  I also have "issues" with those using the Promenade deck to do their running.  

19 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

Yes, though it is small and circles around the aft half of the ship to under the movie screen. It was about 5-6 circuits to equal a mile I believe. It tucks in through the corners of the basketball court, and doesn't have very long straightaways - lots of twists. I was only walking, but I would think the many turns would make jogging a little less fun.

I loved doing that circuit in the mornings in Alaska - let me keep an eye out for all the whales and wildlife on all sides of the ship as I moved around.

On Royal it is 7 laps = 1 mile. 

Many problems with this so called walking area (I am talking Royal as have not seen Majestic) to include little to no protection from sun/rain/wind which makes it unusable during any weather events or even on a really hot sunshine day.  It is narrow and twists and turns.  It is built around the ball courts where many people come and go or stand round semi blocking the trail.  It's location at the top of the ship also means exaggerated motion in rough seas. Mostly your view is through plexiglass which can often be very dirty to try and see through. You are also so far above the ocean that you do not get the same sense of being near to the water, sounds, etc as you do on a promenade deck much closer to the water.  The sound you mostly get is from the big movie screen that is very near the trail and blares loudly nearly all day every day.  So much for serenity.

As big as these ships are it is a down right shame that they could not have found room for a decent covered full circular promenade type deck for those that like to have a nice user friendly place to take a walk, enjoy the sights and sounds of a nearby ocean, and be mostly protected from the elements. 

• Like 6

Thanks all for your responses. I agree the track is not ideal, and certainly not of much use except on port days. I remember the Royal had the same issue, including the movie screen sound system, by some miracle they were actually playing a classical concert so it was pleasant.  If there was an action movie, or rock concert, not so much.  Interesting that there was nothing on the track on the Princess website, but the cruisedeck.com site was helpful (thanks again EM).