Badminton

My adult son and daughter are looking to find out two things. 
They’re looking for a Frisbee golf course on one of the islands we visit, and two, they want to play night badminton in the volleyball/basketball court area with their light-up shuttlecocks. No, I’m not kidding, this is really what they’re most excited about. Nighttime Badminton. 
We’re on Explorer of the Seas and it’s our first time on an RC sailing., so we don’t know what to expect from the sporting area.  

Anyone know anything about how the sports area is set up for volleyball?  Is there a net that can be setup, or is it only available to use when crew sets up certain times for group play.
I can’t imagine there are too many other goofs - I mean passengers who are looking to play nighttime badminton 🏸  in the middle of the ocean. They’re packing their rackets and frisbees.  As far as the Frisbee Golf goes, they’re on their own.  

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

My adult son and daughter are looking to find out two things. 
They’re looking for a Frisbee golf course on one of the islands we visit, and two, they want to play night badminton in the volleyball/basketball court area with their light-up shuttlecocks. No, I’m not kidding, this is really what they’re most excited about. Nighttime Badminton. 
We’re on Explorer of the Seas and it’s our first time on an RC sailing., so we don’t know what to expect from the sporting area.  

Anyone know anything about how the sports area is set up for volleyball?  Is there a net that can be setup, or is it only available to use when crew sets up certain times for group play.
I can’t imagine there are too many other goofs - I mean passengers who are looking to play nighttime badminton 🏸  in the middle of the ocean. As far as the Frisbee Golf goes, they’re on their own.  

The only volleyball net I have ever seen set up on a ship has been in the pool.

• Like 1

The pics my son pulled up on RC site say basketball/volleyball court and show a net and people playing. 

Well it has been a few years since I have spent any appreciable time on the sports deck, i do recall seeing ALOT of basketball.  I hope you find out I am incorrect.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

Well it has been a few years since I have spent any appreciable time on the sports deck, i do recall seeing ALOT of basketball.  I hope you find out I am incorrect.

Good Luck

Thanks. These two take their badminton pretty seriously.  I guess if they have people wanting to use an ice skating rink in the Caribbean, it’s not so weird to want to play badminton. 

When the sports courts are open, there tend to be basketball pickup games going on.  Someone can correct me, but I think the courts have hours they are open so it's not 24/7 and if someone is playing basketball or wants to, then that's what the court is set up for.    I do not recall it being set up for volleyball.  As others have said, the only volleyball I've seen is in the pool.

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

Thanks. These two take their badminton pretty seriously.  I guess if they have people wanting to use an ice skating rink in the Caribbean, it’s not so weird to want to play badminton. 

You don't have to guess , get your son to contact the sports manager there is one on ever ship and that would be their responsibility . 😇

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hogbay said:

You can wait till on board and just ask the crew . All ships have the net as it's used for water polo crew v pac's. 

Will do if we can’t find out before.  They do have a portable net they use when on beach holiday, they’re planning on bringing it for port beaches anyway.  They’re packing a full suitcase just with their sporting gear and my wife’s beach float.  Who knows, maybe they’ll get night Badminton popular as an activity. I’m just glad they’re still happy to travel with the old folks for another vacation. Time is precious. 

• Like 1

Will do if we can’t find out before.  They do have a portable net they use when on beach holiday, they’re planning on bringing it for port beaches anyway.  They’re packing a full suitcase just with their sporting gear and my wife’s beach float.  Who knows, maybe they’ll get night Badminton popular as an activity. I’m just glad they’re still happy to travel with the old folks for another vacation. Time is precious. 

You may want to review the prohibited items list on RCL's website. Some of the equipment (i.e. poles and nets) may not be permitted on board the ship.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

You may want to review the prohibited items list on RCL's website. Some of the equipment (i.e. poles and nets) may not be permitted on board the ship.

Thanks.  We’ve brought these on other cruise lines many times, but I’ll check.  It’s a set that fits in a bag. Just never thought to use on board ship before, swanky new light-up shuttlecocks prompted the discussion. They’re just looking to have fun without alcohol, both are mid-20s and neither one drinks alcohol. We’re lucky that, for now, Badminton is our biggest problem.

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, poocher said:

Mine said any time anywhere as long as we’re treating 😄😄

Exactly.  New careers, job responsibilities, limited vacation time and life moving on will be a determining factor for them, as it was for all of us. Vacation opportunities with their peers and love interests will make these times together good memories.

But for now….in this time, I’ll be paying for a suitcase full of badminton rackets and frisbees for golfing. And I couldn’t be happier about it.  Life is good. 

• Like 2

Yes, my daughter is happily single and lives in Florida so jumping on a ship with the old folks is easy for her.  My son lives here in CT and took on a few more responsibilities than he should have at too young an age.  What are you gonna do, that’s life.  We are scheduled for 7 days on Harmony out of PC in March in an OS and are taking both of them.  After the last 18 months, we all need a break!

BTW I came in 2nd in girls doubles in badminton back in high school!!

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1