Will RCCL start doing their own rapid testing at the Port for all passengers?

bren61

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

It is the unfortunate post COVID cruising world we are living in...it's either accept it for what it is or pause on cruising till things get back to some normalcy you are more comfortable with. 

That said, RCI should do everything it can to help passengers navigate these confusing times. There’s a lot more they could be doing. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nyc2theworld said:

If you do an at home test it must be a supervised test. In fact RC calls out the Abbott test as an example of a valid at home test on their site - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Would love to get some anecdotal reports on someone using this test to successfully board a cruise before we bite the bullet and order them.

4 minutes ago, chopper825 said:

If Norweigan can do it at the port than why can't Royal. It would nice to have the option and would take away this unneeded additional stress.

What stress would you be under if you flew in to cruise and tested positive at the port?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Why we book ours as early in the day as possible.

If they cancel the day before your testing it wouldn't matter what time your appointment was. If they are out of tests they are out of tests. The same way they run out of prescribed medication because an expected delivery didn't happen also applies to covid tests.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Please stop repeating this. There is no mandate to choose an assay that also does flu, it is just recommended. And even if an assay that is capable of doing multiple is used does not mean that the lab has to actually process that part of the assay.

It was my understanding that the single test EUA is expiring December 31 and only the multiplex (covid, flu A and flu B) tests were authorized for 2022. Obviously, the lab will only process the flu part if it's part of the order.

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Would love to get some anecdotal reports on someone using this test to successfully board a cruise before we bite the bullet and order them.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/20/i-tried-the-home-covid-19-test-royal-caribbean-accepts

Edited by bajathree

6 hours ago, bren61 said:

I'm not sure what the right solution should be, but I know I will do everything in my power to try to get a test scheduled at CVS or Walgreen and hope for the best, but I do feel that RCCL should provide a test for those that attempted to make appointments, but were unable to get in because the time slots filled quickly, or if they were tested, but don't have their results back yet. There is such a small window to get the testing done, especially for those who need to travel to get to the port or pre-cruise hotels. 

hi I am from Eastern PA and I called CVS and they said the minute Clinic cancels with the nurse or whomever does the testing can not make it in that day.  It is not for lack of supplies.

As a backup, I can go to Urgent care and pay out of pocket.   I think CVS which only 20% of their stores do the minute clinic should insist on more than one nurse manning the clinic.  

And Walgreens appts open at midnight so a mad dash to the site.  These drugstore chains needs to do a better job.  But hey those who want to cruise are the least of their concern.  Can you imagine if the airlines suddenly required tests?   

And still hoping that the 2 day rules does not get activated by the cruise lines.  Otherwise a whole lot of folks will be calling.  I know I have until 11:59 on Tues to cancel for a Friday cruise.

One thing is RCCL should have a button on each reservation for us to click  to requesting an FCC CWC so that we do not have to call.  I hate just getting someone who obviously has an accent and hard to dialogue with.   SIGH

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree and proof of having the test but not getting the results back in time would be the qualifying factor.  I also think that testing should be available at port for all cruise lines  the same way it's available at airports. Many fly in a day or two early and could be tested 24hrs before the cruise. If the facility was open after that day's sail away there would be less traffic.

Uhhh...if you're flying in why wouldn't you just get tested at the airport?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

hi I am from Eastern PA and I called CVS and they said the minute Clinic cancels with the nurse or whomever does the testing can not make it in that day.  It is not for lack of supplies.

As a backup, I can go to Urgent care and pay out of pocket.   I think CVS which only 20% of their stores do the minute clinic should insist on more than one nurse manning the clinic.  

And Walgreens appts open at midnight so a mad dash to the site.  These drugstore chains needs to do a better job.  But hey those who want to cruise are the least of their concern.  Can you imagine if the airlines suddenly required tests?   

And still hoping that the 2 day rules does not get activated by the cruise lines.  Otherwise a whole lot of folks will be calling.  I know I have until 11:59 on Tues to cancel for a Friday cruise.

One thing is RCCL should have a button on each reservation for us to click  to requesting an FCC CWC so that we do not have to call.  I hate just getting someone who obviously has an accent and hard to dialogue with.   SIGH

BWI has testing prior to going thru security near Concurs C. But BWI is unique since it has had a urgent care clinic for a few years now.

1 hour ago, outtoseacruise said:

The agent must put in an email and phone number to complete the booking now. If they don't it won't complete the booking. If you don't supply a good phone number or valid email you will not receive notifications. If you agent is putting in anything other than the guests phone & email you need to look for another agent. 

I get numerous emails each week on my upcoming sailings on Mariner, Freedom, & Odyssey over the next 2 months. I am also still getting emails on the 2 Adventure cruises I canceled under CWC because it is easier to drive 1 - 3.5 hours for a local cruise than flying to and from the Bahamas. The emails are going out with updates. If your not getting them you may won't to check your SPAM, email server settings, and verify Royal has your correct email and phone number on the booking.

I receive all the emails for our entire group and it must be nice to get lots of email, our Sept 12 Allure sailing has been infinitely quiet when it comes to emails.  Haven't received one since we were requested to report our vaccine status.  And we have three kids traveling with us and haven't received all the emails about scheduling port testing appts that I received for our Adventure cruise where none of our party was unvaccinated. 

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

And yet when I key a zip code dead center (30306) in Metro Atlanta on the CVS Covid testing portal there are at least seven Atlanta locations and a few Decatur locations that have multiple appointment times available for 9/14 (which would be the earliest someone would be able to test for a Friday departure).

what I meant was - I needed a test for my kid on Monday. I couldn't find any appointments anywhere for the same or even the next day. Not for a rapid test, not for a PCR test. And even if I managed to schedule a PCR test for him, the results wouldn't be guaranteed to arrive within 3 days.

I am not just talking about scheduling a test or 5 in our case 2 weeks out for a cruise. And if we don't find a location with rapid tests, the PCR results may arrive too late.

2 hours ago, outtoseacruise said:

They city site is about 3 miles and nearest county/state site is 9 miles. All you have to do is do a search in your area with the health departments in your region.

This morning there was no wait at the City site as seen below in the pic. You just pull up and get either your barcode or QR code scanned, pull in the tent, nose is swabbed, your on your way and get results quick. 

What I am trying to get through is that just because you were done with a test in 15 minutes in your area doesn't mean the same for someone else. Been there, done that. The govt site closest to me - I sat in line in my car for more than 2 hours and was done with my test after noon whereas I had the first appointment of the day at 10 am.

P.S. Since you picked the dead center of Atlanta to look for testing sites, I will assume that you are not actually familiar with the City of Atlanta. 🙂 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

. Since you picked the dead center of Atlanta to look for testing sites, I will assume that you are not actually familiar with the City of Atlanta. 🙂 

Been to Atlanta often enough over the past 50 years to know that i would not want to spend much time in the dead center of Atlanta.😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It is best for those that have to fly to board a ship take their test at their home base.   Best to find out if positive before you board a plane.

That's why I would do it 3 days or 2 days before, whatever is required.  I would also just buy the at home tests that have been approved. They seem like the safest bet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chopper825 said:

If Norweigan can do it at the port than why can't Royal. It would nice to have the option and would take away this unneeded additional stress.

I don't really follow Norwegian cruise lines but I think they only have 1 ship sailing out of FL, the Gem.    Think Norwegian had their first sailing out of the US 2 or 3 weeks ago.     

No idea how many passengers they have onboard.    Do you?     

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I don't really follow Norwegian cruise lines but I think they only have 1 ship sailing out of FL, the Gem.    Think Norwegian had their first sailing out of the US 2 or 3 weeks ago.     

No idea how many passengers they have onboard.    Do you?     

Agreed: NCL Gem at 30% - 718 Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas at 30% - 2034 hmmm

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

It was my understanding that the single test EUA is expiring December 31 and only the multiplex (covid, flu A and flu B) tests were authorized for 2022. Obviously, the lab will only process the flu part if it's part of the order.

I believe the FDA gave notice that the EUA for the original CDC covid 19 test panel was being allowed to expire at the end of the year, and future testing was going to require normally authorized tests. I'm not even sure any of the labs are still using that panel, as many others have been developed. They recommended multiple pathogen tests. I think BIOfire is the only manufacturer that has applied for and received non-EAU authorization, and it is capable of multiple pathogen. What will happen is some of the manufacturers will apply for normal authorization sometime in the next 3-4 months based on the data they have collected for their tests under the EAU (just a guess on my part on that timeline). But testing using the EAU will be allowed until the emergency is considered over, so they are not really in a hurry. Once they have a clue as to when the EAU for all tests will be allowed to expire, they will make the choices on what tests to try and receive authorization for. Some have already dropped the EAU for tests they are no longer using and have no intention of using again. If the commercial demand for just covid testing is there, the manufactures will apply for authorization (as in todays circumstances for traveling, testing is being done for preventative reasons looking just for covid). The recommendations for multi-pathogen panels is really intended for clinical settings where respiratory illness symptoms are present and the pathogen identification is required for isolation or treatment, but as of now is not a requirement.

• Like 1