Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think that is the way to go.  We  have not gone to any of the bars so  far as we are over cautious to make sure we can continue onto our  B2B.   If contact traced you cant  stay for the second cruise.

We are not cruising back to back but plan to follow a similar plan ( best as we can) for reasons of health and " contact tracing". 

We usually avoid crowded areas and take the stairs..no filled to capacity elevators! ( I  have had coffee spilled on me more than once so best avoided anyhow!)

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If Celebrity meant that patients would be flown back to their port of embarkation, as the captain seems to be suggesting, why didn't they just say so? With a few exceptions, being flown to FLL or any other port of embarkation is not being flown home. There seems to be a communications breakdown here.

I agree that Celebrity is not always clear nor consistent with their messaging.     I can understand why embarkation port might be the protocol as an open ended "to your home" might be prohibitively expensive for foreign travelers, people from Hawaii or Alaska or even PAX  like me all the way to California.

14 hours ago, pasta1 said:

Jim, For The Daily Special was there Filipino Cuisine in The Oceanview Cafe?

I don't recall seeing it but I didn't discover the TV camera until a couple days ago.   We have not been going  into the  OceanView due to limited social distancing at times.     I'll keep an eye out and post some more as I see them 

BTW -  yesterday when walking by I noticed no line on the Ice Cream counter so grabbed an cone.

We have been mostly eating lunch in Aqua Spa Cafe.   The have a wonderful caprese salad, fruit cup and Tuna, Chicken or Salmon salad.

I pinched a nerve in my spine yesterday and wasn't sure if I would make dinner.   I could hardly stand up and came close to calling to get an acupuncture appointment (Never done that before).     Took some Tylenol and soaked in the bathroom Jacuzzi.    Still hurting I took some more Tylenol and a muscle relaxer.      Pain seemed to clear up.     While sitting in Retreat I was really feeling loopy and a couple of our friends commented on it.    After dinner when I got back to the room I realized I had take Tylenol PM instead of the regular.  

All I can say is  I slept like a rock  and 90% better this morning.    I'll have to take it easy on my walking today.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Dinner last night at Luminae.     Really couldn't find much of interest on either Luminae or Main Dining rooms menu.   We ordered the Petite Fillet from the children's menu.

For starters I had the Pork Medallions (portion was entree size) and was a miss.   The pork was way over cooked.   Iain had  the  Pate.   For the main like I said we order the Filet but when it was delivered (no photo as I chowed down  before remembering to photo) it sure was not petite.   I would guess it was 8-10 ounces - 2 inches thick and about 3" in width.    Cooked a perfect medium rare and was both tender and tasty.

4A6E438A-DE46-468A-B5D0-31F90F843E5A.thumb.jpeg.bc7073562536b767cdf935cbdd41c33f.jpeg

769A4198-ED82-461B-AB28-59B4DC9D49EA.thumb.jpeg.684643ab286ef377ed94611691ef9019.jpeg

E903C0CF-2706-4274-BA4F-9EC3DA0808AA.thumb.jpeg.48077d2390bebc0896d82996734a43c4.jpeg

For desert I had the Passion Fruit soufflé and Iain the brownie.  289C9F3E-CB01-41CD-9FCC-EB03EC930627.thumb.jpeg.162ed9dda2a11dc5769b6ab63cf563da.jpeg

incredible Soufflé 

4858A202-B884-4A31-8E3E-00B82549F8E7.thumb.jpeg.45ec3e3b0cad1abb20666d787948b0bc.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wolf 8 said:

My wife and I were on the first half of Jim's back-to-back and this is what we learned.  Celebrity has arrangements with the authorities at each port to accept and repatriate Covid-19 patients who are taken off the ship.  The captain told us they would be flown back to FLL the next day.  They are, of course responsible to pay the costs for it.

One night (I think it was Curacao) about 60 minutes before the ship departed we watched 2 passengers wheeled out and put in an ambulance by folks in full hazmat suits.

THEY meaning Celebrity or the patients would pay the cost to fly back to Florida?? 

18 hours ago, amevola said:

Same here plus I thought being out of sight of land would unnerve.  SO WRONG! LOL!  We have sailed plenty of times out of sight of land and had a blast with onboard activities.  We have our first TA booked on Beyond next October.  Can't wait!

I was also uneasy of being on a TA for the number of sea day but was addicted after the first. I have never been bored an you can do as much or as little as you want.   In our opinion we prefer the Westbound because you have about 6 days of 25 hour days.   The crew get an  extra hour most nights so they are very rested and have time to party in the Crew bar.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Illsticktocrusing said:

Thank you Jim, and everyone who has posted questions and answers regarding cruising this year and in the past.  Spent the day reading through this thread after DH and I decided we are ready to cruise again and plan on booking tomorrow for an October cruise on the Equinox.  

Thanks.    Other cruisers Live reports were really helpful to get us to feel more comfortable cruising.    Equinox is in beautiful condition, service and food has been the best we have ever had.    ALL crew are smiling and greet you when you pass by.    They all say the are so happy be back at sea.   It's been a tough 18 months for many of them trying to find a job while at home and the uncertainty as to when they might be recalled.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was also uneasy of being on a TA for the number of sea day but was addicted after the first. I have never been bored an you can do as much or as little as you want.   In our opinion we prefer the Westbound because you have about 6 days of 25 hour days.   The crew get an  extra hour most nights so they are very rested and have time to party in the Crew bar.

We love sea days, and, because I read these boards, the idea of longer days in warmer weather (compared to spring crossings) appealed to my husband.  We will try an eastbound at some point, too.  I think we, too, will become addicted.  🙂

I did not think about the crew.  Good for them as they work so hard!

Private Journey

We had a little misunderstand between the  Tour desk, myself and the  Retreat Concierge.   Originally we were told that private tours were not permitted in St. Kitts so chose St Maarten.  

Evidently the Excursion desk worked with the government and got special  permission to have private tours.   We were booked on  both both islands.    When  I brought it to the attention of retreat hosts they were able to have the one for St. Maarten cancelled even though Private Journey tours are non-refundable.  

The tours are fairly priced and am happy we can do St. Kitts.  

St. Maaten was a little more expensive at $240 each and the one for St. Kitts is $175 per person. 

Since we are at a restricted port today we will be limited to the port shopping area.

0E6691CC-EEFB-4635-8609-0C45FDBE35AD.thumb.jpeg.561c6b805960665860282507dc059e58.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Harrylinden said:

THEY meaning Celebrity or the patients would pay the cost to fly back to Florida?? 

My understanding from the FAQ is Celebrity pays the cost of the flight back to FLL until the end of October.    After that I am sure they will reexamine.   It is being offered as a way to build customer confidence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amevola said:

We love sea days, and, because I read these boards, the idea of longer days in warmer weather (compared to spring crossings) appealed to my husband.  We will try an eastbound at some point, too.  I think we, too, will become addicted.  🙂

I did not think about the crew.  Good for them as they work so hard!

Not sure which crossing you are taking.    The southern crossing is usually Hawaii type temperatures after you leave or on the way to Canary Islands.    I usually recommend the Southern crossing for the first time TA.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure which crossing you are taking.    The southern crossing is usually Hawaii type temperatures after you leave or on the way to Canary Islands.    I usually recommend the Southern crossing for the first time TA.   

We are going to sail on the Beyond for 12 days from Barcelona on October 12.  The ports include Cadiz, Lisbon, Ponta Delgada, and Bermuda before arriving at Cape Liberty. 

We could have taken a longer cruise into Florida, but the idea of sailing on a brand ship, something we haven't done before, and arriving home without having to catch a flight was too much to pass up.  We will simply rent a car and drive the 2.5 hours home to Connecticut.  We also enjoy Barcelona as an embarkation port as opposed to Rome or Southampton.  Much thought went into our choice.  That is all part of the fun of planning for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, amevola said:

We are going to sail on the Beyond for 12 days from Barcelona on October 12.  The ports include Cadiz, Lisbon, Ponta Delgada, and Bermuda before arriving at Cape Liberty. 

We could have taken a longer cruise into Florida, but the idea of sailing on a brand ship, something we haven't done before, and arriving home without having to catch a flight was too much to pass up.  We will simply rent a car and drive the 2.5 hours home to Connecticut.  We also enjoy Barcelona as an embarkation port as opposed to Rome or Southampton.  Much thought went into our choice.  That is all part of the fun of planning for me.

You will love it.    I would consider your cruise the Mid-Atlantic and temperatures should be mild.   Could be a little cool 70-78 and very enjoyable.   If you have never been to the Azores you are going to love it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You will love it.    I would consider your cruise the Mid-Atlantic and temperatures should be mild.   Could be a little cool 70-78 and very enjoyable.   If you have never been to the Azores you are going to love it. 

Those sound like wonderful temps for me!.  My husband would like it a little warmer, but it will have to do.  He has no interest in an Alaska cruise whereas I would love to go.  Cruising to Joe means warm weather.  This is a good compromise.  LOL

We have been to Bermuda, and I have been to Cadiz.  Lisbon and Ponta Delgada are new to us.  Thank you for the endorsement of the Canaries.  We are so looking forward to going there.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

My understanding from the FAQ is Celebrity pays the cost of the flight back to FLL until the end of October.    After that I am sure they will reexamine.   It is being offered as a way to build customer confidence. 

Here is the description from the X website of how they handle a positive case onboard. It is vague on what “home” is.  It does not say embarkation port and I don’t consider FLL as “home”. 

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Travelling Party.

This description is valid through October 31. 

Edited by RICCruisers
Added end date

2 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Here is the description from the X website of how they handle a positive case onboard. It is vague on what “home” is.  It does not say embarkation port and I don’t consider FLL as “home”. 

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Travelling Party.

Celebrity is the master of ambiguity. While you and I might interpret this to mean that you would be flown home to Henrico, Celebrity could meet these terms by flying you back to FLL, putting you up in a Fort Lauderdale motel for your quarantine period, and then put you on a Greyhound bus to Henrico. I'm not suggesting that is the case, but as Jim says, it would be interesting to see a post from someone who has actual experience with Celebrity's handling of a positive patient.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Fouremco said:

Celebrity is the master of ambiguity. While you and I might interpret this to mean that you would be flown home to Henrico, Celebrity could meet these terms by flying you back to FLL, putting you up in a Fort Lauderdale motel for your quarantine period, and then put you on a Greyhound bus to Henrico. I'm not suggesting that is the case, but as Jim says, it would be interesting to see a post from someone who has actual experience with Celebrity's handling of a positive patient.

I actually started a thread asking an evacuated to give their experience. I know it’s not likely to get a response, but no harm in asking. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, amevola said:

When you get off the ship in Lisbon you need to take a taxi directly to Pasteis de Belem to enjoy pastel de nata.  My mouth is watering as I type this...

image.thumb.jpeg.b7f5075eb1cf814084460753eeda9c79.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, RICCruisers said:

I actually started a thread asking an evacuated to give their experience. I know it’s not likely to get a response, but no harm in asking. 

Yes, I keep hoping to see someone respond. Given the small percentage of passengers who are CC members, and the very small number of positive cases, it's quite possible that none of the patients have been CC members. As you say, though, there's no harm in asking.