HERE IT IS. TESTING 2 days before

RoePost

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Still, though, I wonder why someone needing a PCR couldn't get it at the Medical Center before final morning if they needed an early departure to airport for example.  I don't see the harm in having the test early.  Is Princess afraid of finding a positive result early?  IF (big IF for fully vaccinated) the guest was going to test positive on final morning, wouldn't it be useful to know a day or two sooner so they could be isolated?  

Who knows when Canada is going to get rid of the PCR for fully-vaccinated Canadians (many medical experts have called it unnecessary)?  When cruising ramps up more and Caribbean opens up, a typical several hundred Canadians would represent a huge jam waiting for testing and results on final morning.

If they catch one guy with covid they have to do contact tracing and may find more cases.  Numbers matter, remember when they didn't want to let people off a ship because our numbers in the states would go up?  The numbers go up on the ship it will get shutdown (potentially) so I'm sure that has to play part.  

Edited by trey420

7 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I think we'll be canceling the first leg of our b2b.  Too much effort to repack, disembark, and then wait for the result of the test, just to go back to the same cabin.

Would you have to pack up?  Not a snarky question but a real one as I, too am on a B2B in a couple of weeks.  
Do you think if we did test positive, they wouldn't allow us back in to pack up our own things?  It would probably be safer for the staff if we were the ones touching our own stuff.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Still, though, I wonder why someone needing a PCR couldn't get it at the Medical Center before final morning if they needed an early departure to airport for example.  I don't see the harm in having the test early. 

Because apparently Princes has decided not to do such testing on board anymore for departing passengers.

Only Princess can tell us why they have added this additional stress of worrying if the results will come back in time for a flight that was booked when Princess had said the testing would be done on board.

Very specific question for those familiar with options in SF, where can we get free rapid tests near the pier? We are flying in 3 days prior and will need to be tested on Sunday or Monday, staying in Fisherman's Wharf area with no car. We have never been tested so the whole process is new to us.

28 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I referenced a PDF report from Public Health ON from late August.

Here's a Ontario summary dated July 5th.

https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/covid-wwksf/2021/08/wwksf-breakthrough-cases.pdf?sc_lang=en

In Table 2, it lists the surveys for both BC and Ontario. Note that the data comes from a period in spring when cases were in rapid decline. The bottom reached in late June.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html?redir=1

The BC report (I quoted) is fresh, from the last week during the Fourth Wave (delta). It is consistent with the Ontario report dated August 21 (Table 1). Notice the 10x jump in proportion of infected people who are fully vax. That's why the CDC has recently updated instructions for cruisers.

https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/documents/ncov/epi/covid-19-epi-confirmed-cases-post-vaccination.pdf?la=en

Hope this helps.

iA “live from” thread posted today from the Majestic advise that the b2b passengers tested the last day at the medical center and did not have to take their belongings off the ship 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Would you have to pack up?  Not a snarky question but a real one as I, too am on a B2B in a couple of weeks.  

The updated info on the Princess site does not say specifically that you have to pack up your cabin, but I thought I read that earlier in this thread? 

I just asked on the current Alaska live thread and received a response that is contrary to the Princess web site.  They were tested onboard.  I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing!

1 minute ago, LACruiser88 said:

The updated info on the Princess site does not say specifically that you have to pack up your cabin, but I thought I read that earlier in this thread? 

I just asked on the current Alaska live thread and received a response that is contrary to the Princess web site.  They were tested onboard.  I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing!

Thank you for that info!  Perhaps we will only get tested off the ship once they have pier side testing available.  I’m with you, though … maybe I will pack up my stuff before leaving the room and with the slight chance of testing positive, they can bring my stuff down.  I’m a bit concerned about flying home on a commercial aircraft if I do test positive.  What would be my alternative?  Would I just rent a car and drive home?  All good things to consider in this day and age of CoVid?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’m a bit concerned about flying home on a commercial aircraft if I do test positive.  What would be my alternative?  Would I just rent a car and drive home?  All good things to consider in this day and age of CoVid?  

Our b2b is out of San Pedro, so we are lucky that no flying is involved for this cruise.

24 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Now they are testing in the terminal, not on-board. A very recent update to FAQ for those going on flights after cruise you won’t be going on a flight with a positive test. Princess will tell you what is required 

Edited by dog
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Wow! What a difference! Here's the BC public health statement...

"From Aug. 25-31, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 79.0% of cases and from Aug 18-31, they accounted for 84.0% of hospitalizations"

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0054-001735

The important thing to remember is that infected people (even the fully vax) can infect others!!! 😷

Actually, there was a mass outbreak on the Carnival Vista among the fully vax. The situation would be worse if unreliable quick tests were used instead of PCR. 🙄

Could you define mass outbreak? Was that the ship that had 26 crew and ONE passenger test positive? And it was never said as far as I know of whether any were anything but asymptomatic.

Using the term mass outbreak only contributes to the general hysteria about Covid for the vaccinated.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, dog said:

Now they are testing in the terminal, not on-board. A very recent update to FAQ for those going on flights after cruise you won’t be going on a flight with a positive test. Princess will tell you what is required 

That sounds like very reasonable advice. 

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Could you define mass outbreak? Was that the ship that had 26 crew and ONE passenger test positive? And it was never said as far as I know of whether any were anything but asymptomatic.

Using the term mass outbreak only contributes to the general hysteria about Covid for the vaccinated.

Our local school system calls two cases in the same school an "outbreak", regardless of whether there was any contact between those two.  The press loves to use the term "outbreak" especially if they can attach it to a cruise ship.

It keeps the hype, hysteria, ratings, and clicks going.  Do they use the same terminology if two cases of flu are documented?  Yes, yes, I know the morbidity rates are different but people can die from either one.  The difference is vaccinated people are a lot less likely to do so.

The last time I checked, the morbidity rate for breakthrough cases of Covid in vaccinated people was 0.0008 percent.  The press won't call much attention to that because it doesn't play as well as "outbreak", but at that rate you have a better chance of being struck by lightning.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dog said:

If you test negative you are free to go to airport. If positive Princess should assist you in arranging a hotel to isolate. Cannot fly on plane to Canada at this time without proof of negative covid test 

That seems to be the case. As near as I can tell, however, from reading the CDC web site, there does not seem to be any explicit testing requirement for fully vaccinated folks to fly within the US?

15 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

That seems to be the case. As near as I can tell, however, from reading the CDC web site, there does not seem to be any explicit testing requirement for fully vaccinated folks to fly within the US?

I think it is to cross borders test required land & air to date 

so if flying from US within US test not needed at end of cruise 

Edited by dog

3 hours ago, karylrocks said:

Very specific question for those familiar with options in SF, where can we get free rapid tests near the pier? We are flying in 3 days prior and will need to be tested on Sunday or Monday, staying in Fisherman's Wharf area with no car. We have never been tested so the whole process is new to us.

I think there is at least one CVS near Fisherman's Wharf.  Check their website to confirm.  You can schedule tests through their website, but only 10 days or so ahead.  Some airports also have rapid test clinics and if SFO has one you could ride BART out to the airport for a test.

Fire up the Google!

48 minutes ago, dog said:

I think it is to cross borders test required land & air to date 

so if flying from US within US test not needed at end of cruise 

That would work for us. In the very highly unlikely event of us testing + after the cruise, we could change our flights to fly up to one of the two US airports near us that have flights from Florida, then drive back over the border. It's literally only an hour from either of these two airports to our house. Logistically challenging but better than quarantining in a hotel in Florida for a few weeks.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

What mass hysteria? As you know, I've consistently quoted the facts, and based my conclusions on science.

Yes, there is a lot of excitement over the changes in itineraries and rules. Surely this is to be expected, in light of the current pandemic situation?

For myself, I cancelled two 2021 cruises before FP. NO regrets. Looking forward to 2022 where I have three cruises booked. 😎

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trey420 said:

If they catch one guy with covid they have to do contact tracing and may find more cases.  Numbers matter, remember when they didn't want to let people off a ship because our numbers in the states would go up?  The numbers go up on the ship it will get shutdown (potentially) so I'm sure that has to play part.  

I can't say for sure where I saw it, but if you DISEMBARK, they don't have to count the number on the ship.  Maybe why they are doing this now.

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Our local school system calls two cases in the same school an "outbreak", regardless of whether there was any contact between those two.  The press loves to use the term "outbreak" especially if they can attach it to a cruise ship.

It keeps the hype, hysteria, ratings, and clicks going.  Do they use the same terminology if two cases of flu are documented?  Yes, yes, I know the morbidity rates are different but people can die from either one.  The difference is vaccinated people are a lot less likely to do so.

The last time I checked, the morbidity rate for breakthrough cases of Covid in vaccinated people was 0.0008 percent.  The press won't call much attention to that because it doesn't play as well as "outbreak", but at that rate you have a better chance of being struck by lightning.

Yes, you nailed it. I'll repeat what I said in another thread. At the beginning of the pandemic it was said that one possible way for it to end was for the virus to mutate into something more like the common cold. Now we have everyone in a panic over non-symptomatic cases for those already vaccinated. Why the panic with these cases? Just let those who refuse the vaccine succumb to Darwin's law.

But also lets get cracking on getting the proper dosage figured out so younger children can be protected.

• Like 5

On 9/3/2021 at 7:50 AM, Steelers36 said:

SDM

I'd be careful with their test. It will get you on the plane but if you read their website, it specifies that they do rapid antigen SCREENING, and then if you read the faq's is clearly states that screening is not the same as testing, so I don't know if the cruise line would accept that. I found a private pharmacy here in Hamilton that's confirmed they are doing antigen testing for $60 so I'm going with them for our upcoming cruise, just to be on the safe (I hope) side.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:11 AM, lx200gps said:

Thx. No SDMs here in Quebec offer the tests, but there are a bunch just over the border in Ontario, maybe a 30 minute drive away, so we'll be checking them to see if we can get tested there. $40 sure bests the $150+ around here.

Be careful. SDM is doing rapid antigen screening, which the faq's on their website state that screening is not testing. I know people who have flown to the US with the SDM test but none were boarding a cruise so I don't know if it would be accepted (I suspect not since even SDM says it's not the same as an antigen test).

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

That would work for us. In the very highly unlikely event of us testing + after the cruise, we could change our flights to fly up to one of the two US airports near us that have flights from Florida, then drive back over the border. It's literally only an hour from either of these two airports to our house. Logistically challenging but better than quarantining in a hotel in Florida for a few weeks.

So you are flying from Montreal to Florida for the cruise 

Shoppers provide different tests. Make sure to clarify which one is required- they do call the $40 rapid antigen screening test 

hopefully Someone on here can say which one they used successfully 

for return you need a negative test whether you fly or drive. 

wonder if you test positive at the pier if they detain you or just let you leave? 

Edited by dog